Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Is that the front or the back?

That depends. Are you the enemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Please remember that those are Ukr MOD report numbers, and are not, and never have been, backed up by any kind of proof.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ummel posted:

It's also a casualty report, and not deaths, fwiw

It's not a report that could be checked or scrutinized, because they explain absolutely nothing, never have. They just publish weekly numbers and that's it. So let's not take it at face value

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Owling Howl posted:

Ukraine did not shoot down 300 planes and 300 helicopters. Full stop.
What about the entirety of Russia's Black Sea navy fleet?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Here is a TERRA unit drone operator showcasing some munitions/hardware. Then narrated combat footage from Bahmut, showing how drone operators work in conjunction with assault infantry. Any dead or injured are censored out. You can turn on captions for translation.

https://youtu.be/KS4pZoZf7JI

Notice the new drone-specific HE rounds, that are physically three times larger than 40 mm grenades. I didn't catch anything about their payload capacity, he just says that those dji drones can carry two at a time.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
They've always been supplied directly by Russian MOD. They're just not trying to hide it now.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Freezer posted:

...and some space to actually transport troops, no?

I think this is less about troop transport and more about troop support.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

OAquinas posted:

They've been shooting deserters and injured. Fragging a commander is just another reload.

But more to the point, they can 'accidentally' not be too stringent on comms secrecy and have his position leaked. If he's in HIMARS range, well, another martyr for the pyre.
It's Wagner who's been shooting at deserters, on direct orders from Prigozhin

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
In the case of Lukashenko's sudden death or incapacitation, there will be a GRU controlled takeover. I'm pretty sure this exact plan is in the leaked documents from a few months ago.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fatherboxx posted:

Neither Kinzhal incerceptions nor successful hits have been confirmed

Military expert on ФБК YouTube show recently claimed that Kinzhal is closely related to Iskander or whatever other missile and is very easy to misidentify from broken scrap alone.

I don't know how true that is, but Kinzhal missiles are the latest and greatest Russian Boogeyman buzzword of the week, so there is obvious propaganda value in making unsubstantiated claims. Right next to that 600 downed aircraft figure. Take it with a grain of salt

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

saratoga posted:

Dumb question but its been known for over 100 years now that torpedoes work best underwater where they're harder to shoot at and the damage will be more catastrophic. Why do these travel and then explode on surface?

Because the drone boats are directly controlled by an operator elsewhere, and it's probably much harder to get a signal when the drone is submerged?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Reportedly the GPS signal around Moscow stopped working at the time of attack, as part of anti-drone countermeasures. There are videos from Yandex drivers flipping out, unable to navigate.

It's possible that GPS guided drones are losing altitude or bearing in the wrong direction, thus hitting civilian buildings.

Those buildings were clearly not the original target.

Pantsir missiles are bigger than Ukrainian drones and have way higher payload. I shudder to think what would happen if one of those things hit a high rise building.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I didn't realize it was that bad. Sorry to hear

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Blut posted:

Interesting that Russia is by far the smallest of the three.

https://youtu.be/MMiKyfd6hA0

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Russian social media is full of families and soldiers complaining about the lack of paychecks. Not even a death payout, regular pay isn't consistent across the mobilized corps. Some have been at the front line for months, while claiming to receive zero money.

Not something we can easily cross check, but worth keeping in mind.

According to anecdotal accounts, Wagner has been rather consistent with actually paying out to families and next of kin. But they do insist on burying dead soldiers at their own cemeteries inside Russia, and families are fighting local governments to bring those remains home.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

cr0y posted:

I wonder if the road section of the bridge also had infrastructure type connections, such as electrical/fiber optic. The post earlier that mentioned cell service being down in Crimea has me wondering...
Cell service gets disconnected as part of anti drone defense, or so it was in Moscow during recent attacks.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fatherboxx posted:

And Kyiv Independent knows that they are linked to the rise in the consciption age based on...?

The rise of arson attempts have spiked within a day of the conscription age announcement

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't think a warehouse full of fireworks is a legitimate military target regardless of who the landlord is. It does not reduce Russia's war capabilities in any way and all the people injured were civilians.

I'm pretty sure the fireworks comment was a joke

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

OddObserver posted:

That the one that allegedly uses child slave labor?

We don't know how many facilities that have or whether or not components are produced together under one roof

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If Trump supporters were rational people, they wouldn't be Trump supporters. Nothing would happen

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If they can track and hit Mach+ missiles with ~30 round bursts they absolutely can track and hit even small fast drones that probably don't even go 300mph in the same or less expenditure of ammo.

It won't be people aiming these 25-30mm cannon anti drone systems so it doesn't matter how much they juke around even when AI controlled. They're the functional equivalent of a shotgun that blasts an area somewhere around a quarter to half the size of a football field in a split second with thousands of projectiles. They're way more effective than you're giving them credit for.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cw5WBURom4L/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==
Sorry about the Instagram link. It's a POV footage from Gepard, shooting down a drone

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fatherboxx posted:

Nonzero chance he got the idea from the famous incel malaysian dipshit

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1699828939311452519?t=9mTucNDoSbOJHHMyYXi__Q&s=19

I wonder if interfering, or just actively participating in an armed conflict might have some legal consequences.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Charliegrs posted:

Pretty hilarious that Ukraine might have destroyed a Russian sub when Kim Jong Un was in town

I'm pretty sure he was in a different town much further away. One might even call it a different country.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ought ten posted:

Can I play as a drone operator?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2300160/Death_From_Above/

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Apparently Putin spoke in support of Palestine today/yesterday? I really don't know anything about Russian ties with israel, but I thought they were fairly tight, hence Israel's reluctance to do any armed deals with Ukraine?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Young Freud posted:

They probably got hit by drones and the Russians want to write off such a severe loss as an excuse to escalate.

Escalate what and how?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I saw a similar video shout from the Ukrainian side, but the vehicle almost made it across.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fatherboxx posted:

Advising not to renegotiate this topic here

I've been told that the Orc association comes from Russians themselves, except they use it in an endearing manner. Probably the number one reason I would never refer to them as such.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm sure everybody wants to read whatever word salad your copy/paste machine is willing to provide, keep on trying

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's a really hard watch, but I strongly recommend it

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Russia is rapidly scaling up drone production, several giant factories going up at this very moment, while established production lines are already cranking up consistent numbers. The drone pilot course is being rolled into 10th grade curriculum to prepare kids for the neverending war. Similar to what's going on in Ukraine atm

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've seen this video posted recently, and even if you ignore commentary, text on screen and whatever explanation given, the footage itself speaks volumes of yet another despicable poo poo that's happening on the ground in the trenches. It shows what appears to be Russian soldiers, using unarmed people as literal human shields. I don't have link to unedited footage, sorry about Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0zhYViidCE/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

IK NOTE: :nms:, combat footage

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 14, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't understand why you need 100% consensus on anything that involves more than two parties. In anything, ever .

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I put that idiot on ignore at least 8 months ago, it's been great

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Eric Cantonese posted:

To paraphrase what that famous masked soldier said in the early days of the war,

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Some people like to use AI enhancement tools on low resolution, grainy or nighttime footage videos. And those make explosions look all kind of wacky. Could be that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The X-man cometh posted:

I just saw a report on Bluesky that the Ukrainians hacked Russian credit card readers.

https://bsky.app/profile/noelreports.bsky.social/post/3khufduyswu2g

What does that accomplish? Seems like this would negatively affect poor and middle class Russians at a very vulnerable time. Unless there's something else going on.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TK-42-1 posted:

Bringing the war home in nonviolent ways is a valid tactic. They’re not going to pierce the media veil so hit them directly.

I understand hacking state media outlets or public advertising displays to convey anti-war messaging, which happened multiple times. But making credit cards not work is not even in the same ballpark. Unless this was the monetary system of choice for some sort of military procurement, I remain confused

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This was asked elsewhere, but never answered. Wouldn't Ukraine benefit greatly from shutting down Russian satellites in orbit? I don't know what kind of logistical hurdles would need to be overcome, considering the technology was tested successfully 50 years ago. Wouldn't that shut down all Russian weapon navigation capabilities?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Some Russian war correspondents are suggesting that this was due to friendly fire. No proof of course, but could be plausible.