Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Chronojam posted:

This gets my nod

Perhaps we could consider it a brotherhood of sorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Pretty sure they only killed some soldiers in the air, so technically not untrue.

Guess it depends on whether they died before the crash or not.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

I'm pre-conditioned by propaganda and Hollywood to assume Russians are evil and/or the enemy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

OddObserver posted:

Thankfully there are countries like Bulgaria and Slovakia to step up the manufacturing on timescales US is apparently incapable of. (How we ended up with utterly inadequate supply of something that may be critical for national security and isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things is an uncomfortable question).

Bolded the important part. MIC can't grift billions off of cheap as easily.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

While I still want Ukraine to win, I just don’t understand the strategy. If it would be hard for a NATO army to perform a full frontal assault - with air superiority that the Ukrainians lack - against multiple layers of prepared defences (anti tank ditches and minefields), then how can the Ukrainians possibly succeed in this scenario when they lack air support?

When was the last time in history that an army successfully performed a full frontal assault against multiple layers of prepared defences (without air superiority) and won? Has this ever happened? Who can they learn from?

Without proper historical parallels to inspire us, it just seems to me that they are burning precious Ukrainian lives throwing them into the Russian lines for seemingly nothing in a strategy that has never been proven to work. It’s deeply depressing.

You do what Ukraine seems to be doing and grind it out with *reported* superior CB fire and slow methodical advances and you see which side really has the will to see it through to the bitter end.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Hits the target in 30 minutes or its free
Is there a tracker that you can use to watch the progress of the drone strike you ordered?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

Then some commander having 2 helicopters run a sortie to pick up a purebred cat they stole and bring it back to russia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA34FKBFcQA

I skipped ahead to the mention about the cat and didn't see anything about it being stolen in the subtitles. Just that the commander used two air crews to transport the cat from Rostov to some other city. Which is a much better use of Russian military aviation resources, as far as I'm concerned.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Yeah I doubt there is much to be done to Musk/Starlink in a direct legal manner unless contractual provisions were violated, but hoo boy Musk pissing off the defense establishment is the definition of a gently caress around and find out situation. They can apply pressure and pain in a million different indirect ways especially considering space X is almost completely dependent on government contracts to be profitable and Tesla on tax credits and pretty much everything Musk does besides twitter interacts with a lot of government regulation bodies.

I'm sure his stunt during the Ukrainian attack got him a real fun talking to that he's still fuming about inside but he won't dare do anything about. Not until the ketamine starts talking, anyways.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

OAquinas posted:

You'd want the AA launchers on high ground though, ideally. So that implies parking it on a hill. I'd imagine anything that impedes movement and reasonably quick redeployment would increase vulnerability of radar-detected assets like S-X00 launchers. They launch one missile and you can HIMARS or HARM the area and delete it before assets can be repositioned. With ATACMS now in play the range advantage is negated, if not firmly in Ukraine's court.

Of course, they can stick to paved areas that might be less ideal for coverage, which is probably what will happen. How long does it take for an S-300/400 to deploy?

https://www.armyrecognition.com/s-3...nformation.html

Battery components
The S-300PS saw the 5N63 Flap Lid engagement radar and 5P85 TEL transplanted onto the high mobility 8x8 MAZ-7910 vehicle derived from the MAZ-543. The rehosted radar became the 5N63S Flap Lid B (Samochodnyy/Self-propelled). This permitted the engagement radar and TELs to set up for firing in 5 minutes, and rapidly scoot away after a missile shot to evade US Air Force Weasels. The improved 5N63S Flap Lid B radar had the capability to concurrently engage six targets, and guide two missiles against each target. The phased array beam steering angular range was extended to permit instantaneous coverage of a 90-degree sector, comparable to the SPY-1 Aegis radar.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

How many shells can the US (or west in total) produce annually compared to the Russians? From what I have read in (western) media sources the Russians have not only cheaper production but can also massively out produce the west (like 5x) which is not good news for the west or Ukraine.

Absolute number of shells is just one variable in the total equation. You have to factor in quality, type, size, dumb vs guided, etc. It's a nuanced issue that can't be credibly discussed in a two minute mobile article but people do it anyways.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Tehdas posted:

It does make a good interview question. How would you move an 80m submarine across 500kms of Russia?

Let the KGB work on it until it agrees it's in the Black Sea.

That's what I thought. "When did Musk start making lovely cyber trucks in Eastern Europe?"
vvv

Nervous fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 14, 2023

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Nenonen posted:

War in Ukraine CE: Well that escalated quickly

War in Ukraine CE: Escalators

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Cable Guy posted:

The Halloween beachhead has been lost, Christmas has swept through October and the September equinox. Tinsel decorated forces are now invading early September

The Fourth of July is currently providing security assistance to Labor Day. The gates hold there...for now.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

I dont know posted:

Also because the invasion was planned without large part of the Russian military being aware of the attack, Russian cyber units were not any better prepared to time attacks with the invasion then the rest of the Russian military.

This is just :psyduck: to me.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

You don't need to hack Starlink when its owner can just turn it off for you.

Elon going to Neuralink himself and the Russians will literally hack him.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Tanks are substantial assets and it's organizationally trivial for entities as complex as the Swiss and German governments to coordinate over asset tracking and tele-audits to make sure these exact 25 tanks are still in Germany, yes.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yes of course. I was just wondering if they'd bother to do it.

No idea personally, but I would imagine most western countries with weapons/arms export programs probably have tracking and control mechanisms in place to keep stuff from going further then they want. I could see them wanting to keep track of the tanks even if there wasn't a war in Ukraine.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

MikeC posted:

smart phone apps for rapid fire support

Free same day shipping to most locations in Ukraine if you order today through the Howie! app!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

This is art. Howizon/horizon, the amazon arrow being an amazing analog for a ballistic parabola. I love it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ukraine peacefully assumes control of Northern Ireland.

Russia has always claimed control of Northern Ireland and the people of Northern Ireland secretly dream of being part of the grand Russian Federation. Russia insists Ukraine leave this Russian territory immediately and go drown in the sea like the Nazi pigs that they are.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Don't you know that heroic Russian freedom fighters in Ukraine continue to hold out against Nazi Ukrainian forces despite the assistance of the imperialist West?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Blut posted:

"Germany agreed to occupy Lithuania "

Is quite a way of phrasing that. Good news to have more tripwires in the Baltics though all the same.

It sure is.

In before Putin starts saying Russia agreed to occupy Ukraine.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Give the Ukrainians cruisers and a Tanya and this war is over before Christmas.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

A good first attack'ems.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you'll notice that they consistently manage an impressive 100% interception rate before weapons are delivered. idk how they do it

All targets were successfully intercepted by brave Russian tanks and troops o7

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Ships keep exploding and they need to send them somewhere :shrug:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Nenonen posted:

How do you passively execute someone? Lay mines in their path of retreat?

Drug em and put them by the water during low tide.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Real men get vasectomies.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nope, so long as Putin isn't interested in anything buy maximalist gains the war will continue.

There's still a ton of UkrainiaNazis his forces haven't killed or jettisoned from soon to be Russian territories. Why would he stop?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

beer_war posted:

If I was Zelenskyy, I simply would have chosen not to be invaded by Russia.

Frankly, one might wonder if he secretly hates the Ukrainian people given how many are dying on the front lines in his war. If he'd just capitulate the war would be over and all those brave Ukrainians could live! Won't someone think of the poor Ukrainians and surrender today?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Never mind that as an outside observer, it seems like it would be insanely stupid to seek to change leadership that has so far successfully held off a surprise invasion from a superior enemy by rallying international support and not running even when personally imperiled while said invasion is still ongoing. I'd argue that such behavior would be suicidal, even.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

There's a lot of discussion about "winning" and "losing" without evaluating what those terms mean.

If conflict gets frozen as both sides run out of materiel to sustain future offensives, that qualifies as a win for Russia. I don't think that necessarily means that fighting it out over the past year was a waste, though, even if the lines have barely changed. For starters, it's unclear that Russia would have accepted negotiating for peace along the stalemate lines prior to their combat abilities being degraded to this point. It's even less clear that Russia would have been satisfied long term with that border rather than starting up another war of conquest in 3 or 5 or 7 years, in which case I think there's a good argument that Ukraine is better off doing what damage it can do now rather than waiting for the next round--Western aid would likely dry up that much faster without the urgency of an ongoing war, so if a cease fire had been declared 6 or 12 months ago I think the balance of forces between Ukraine and Russia would be less favorable as of this moment and would not get any better by the time the next war starts.

Another factor is the reinvestment this triggered in various western MIC production lines that were previously furloughed or run at substantially reduced loads over the last few decades that turned out to be critical for a land war in Euorpe. Making future aggression on Russia's part even more difficult.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Nenonen posted:

What is a lithuania?

It's a rare earth metal used in battery tech, right?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

British troops

I believe the correct English terms are lads or chaps :eng101:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

Whats the insurance premium on drone boats?

Can't be any worse then the premiums on the Black Sea fleet.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

all of the ethnicities are equal, but some are more equal than others

It's just like America, really.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Internet's favorite Powerpoint Boy demonstrated that Ukraine's reports may be high but they are actually grounded in reality and display an average of 1.6:1 higher than OSINT confirmed (which also will miss anything like 20-30%) so in fact no, they aint bullshit.

Unlike Russia's estimates which are clearly pulled from some rear end

Gunveduv personally assured me 5000 Ukrainian HIMARS were destroyed just yesterday.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

They're claiming to have destroyed the primary and backup databases for most/all of Russia. God drat. And that they got a copy of stuff for themselves :v:

quote:

In addition, Internet traffic of tax data on the scale of the whole of Russia ended up in the hands of the military intelligence of Ukraine.

Wonder what interesting nuggets might be in there.

Nervous fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 13, 2023

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

Has there ever actually been a report that Russia "is on the verge of collapse"?

Plenty if you Google just that. Plenty of speculatory pieces but also some around the Wagner mutiny that seemed legitimate. Here's one where a Kremlin spokesman said they were on the brink of economic collapse.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-economy-collapse-putin-moscow-gdp-outlook-ukraine-war-sanctions-2023-11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Apparently Russia had Rommels in its military past, history truly is a flat circle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karol_R%C3%B3mmel