Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Lots of people wish they could punch their boss in the face."
Looks Tony directly in the eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mark Briscoe: If you think I'm done with Samoa Joe after tonight, you're wrong.

I believe in you, Mark Briscoe!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Denise is working for something called instinct culture?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mike Johnson gets it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mark talking about how good it felt to get the outpouring of love from the fans, then pausing and adding,"Don't get me wrong... I'm pissed that I lost the match!" :allears:

Edit: drat, Mark Briscoe is just a wonderful, wonderful human being.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 1, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tony's hug destroying the mic :lol:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

what the hell is Tony wearing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

what the hell is Tony wearing

formal hoodie

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Update from Dante:

TK's Dante update is that they're taking care of him, he's at the hospital, and Darius is staying with him giving TK updates. All he could say is that Dante will be out for a while and that he is currently in a lot of pain.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Alaois posted:

formal hoodie

Want that outfit for Agent 47 in Hitman.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Couldn’t watch live so I just finished. Some quick thoughts:

- pretty sure I’m unironically a fan of The Kingdom now
- Dante’s loving foot, gently caress :negative:
- my brain went from “whoa, Shibata won!” to “holy gently caress, we’re gonna get Danielson/Shibata at Forbidden Door” in like 6 seconds
- Eddie losing sucks poo poo!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

HonorableTB posted:

Update from Dante:

TK's Dante update is that they're taking care of him, he's at the hospital, and Darius is staying with him giving TK updates. All he could say is that Dante will be out for a while and that he is currently in a lot of pain.

I would not have this level of composure in the same situation. Hope it’s somehow now as bad as it looked and he can come back sooner than later but a backwards foot is about as bad as you can get.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
that man is on a ton of pain medicine right now

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
really feels like the martins have the absolute shittiest luck in the universe. hope he's okay

fake edit: obviously it's not the absolute shittiest this is hyperbole

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So used to people writing "Emi" that Tony keeps talking about Athena vs Sakura and I'm like "wait who is that I bet that match will be sick."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

really feels like the martins have the absolute shittiest luck in the universe. hope he's okay

fake edit: obviously it's not the absolute shittiest this is hyperbole

I went to Dynamite 2 weeks ago and I explained Top Flight as "This brother tag team thats really awesome, but they are loving cursed"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

SalTheBard posted:

I went to Dynamite 2 weeks ago and I explained Top Flight as "This brother tag team thats really awesome, but they are loving cursed"

Hello Danhausen

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

"This brother tag team thats really awesome, but they are loving"

https://i.imgur.com/2z4Edio.mp4

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hope for a speedy recovery for Dante. Maybe they can take his foot off and put it back on again.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i loved that show. i loved the ladder match. i loved seeing katsuyori shibata win a championship. i loved nigels new terrible music.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Hot drat, what a show. Dante's injury was obviously a sour note, and while the Briscoe and Eddie losses stung in the moment I'm happy that we're getting more out of both feuds. Just an exceptional night of wrestling otherwise, good to terrific matches up and down the card and some pleasant surprises to balance out the bitter ones.

Tallying up the scores for the prediction game now, should be interesting to see who best predicted such a surprising evening. :)

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I think I wanted/predicted the opposite in basically every match, but good lord what a PPV.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I’m sad about Eddie but am really enjoying the BCC being full heels. That dismissive laugh Claudio gave when Eddie hit a flailing backhand with no energy was perfect M Bison endboss poo poo.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Majinfoose posted:

Eddie is hopefully gonna be back on Dynamite chasing down Claudio

Yeah, if this ends with Mark Briscoe and and Eddie never beating their respective nemeses and winning the titles, it's Vince-level spite booking

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That was a good show, although I have to admit Dante's horrible injury did kind of take me out of it. Those guys must be loving cursed. Also I extremely don't agree with some of Tony's booking decisions. I seriously have no idea what the gently caress that guy is thinking sometimes. Yes, sometimes this stuff pays off in the long run, but he's also held off on a title switch too long quite a few times so I guess we'll see if Eddie and Claudio end up being a long and satisfying program with a huge climax at the end, or Eddie winning the title like two weeks later at an RoH TV taping.

Either way both Mark and Eddie going into their title matches with a "blood feud match with their years old nemesis who doesn't think they can do it, but can they overcome the odds?" storyline and both finishes being "no they couldn't" is one sour pill.

Komander vs El Hijo del Vikingo for the AAA Mega Championship

This is a good debate case for "what is a good wrestling match, actually?", because while both guys certainly hit spectacular moves and did some insane, gravity defying poo poo that shouldn't be humanly possible, as a MATCH it wasn't great. I would without hesitation rate the match Vikingo had with Kenny Omega on Dynamite way above this, because this one felt like the two guys were just moving from one pre-arranged spot to the next with very little connective tissue or storytelling between them.

But on the other hand, the spots were truly spectacular. Probably insanely good to see live, and a good way to get the crowd off their feet immediately to start the card.

Brian Cage and the Embassy vs. AR Fox and Some Guys for the RoH Trios Championship

OK, I love AR Fox, but I did not want AR Fox to win this, and that's 100% because I want AR Fox to wrestle with Top Flight, not Pound Land Sheamus and Gran Metalik. But really I am being grossly unfair to Blake Christian, because despite his unfortunate look, the dude can loving GO. And this was a fun match, which is what you'd expect when you put a bunch of flippy high fliers in the ring with three freakishly strong dudes, and let them all get their poo poo in.

Brian Cage might be one of the dumbest men in pro wrestling, but god drat if I don't always pop for the "Cage catches a guy out of mid air in a vertical suplex position and then just hangs out like he's holding a stick" spot, and we got a lot of that. And god drat, Cage's new(?) finisher is loving sick.

Nice little match, and I think Brian Cage and the Embassy are well placed as the final bosses of the RoH Trios division.

Athena vs. Yuka Sakazaki for the RoH Women's World Championship

God drat Athena's new look and personality own. The new Women's Championship also looks real good, IMO.

I had extremely high hopes for this match, because everyone who watches TJPW knows Yuka can do really hard hitting stuff, which would fit in very well with Athena's new style. But we got weirdly little of that. The match itself was OK and had some good spots, but for all the build up and expectations I can't help but be disappointed. It felt that both women were in second gear at most.

Samoa Joe vs. Mark Briscoe for the RoH TV Title

It's absolutely wild to me that Joe is still going this hard at his age. It's even wilder that Vince couldn't find a use for him, considering the run he's been on since joining AEW/RoH.

Going in I was 100% convinced Mark was going over, because how the hell isn't he going to win this match, right now, in this situation? And they've even got his family in the front row! And he didn't. When the referee stopped the match I literally couldn't believe what had happened. I'm still not 100% sure if that was the right call, because holy hell that took the wind out of the audience. A lot of red eyes and teary faces in the audiences afterwards.

Anyway, this match loving owned. Hard hitting match with good storytelling, what the hell else are you gonna ask for?

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Daniel Garcia

I've been raving about Garcia in AEW threads for ages now, and it's absolutely stupid that the guy is this good at 24. This match was good, albeit very spords ennerdainy. Tanahashi occasionally looked a bit tentative and slow, but it didn't ruin the match.

Reach For the Sky Ladder Match

OK so if you asked me ahead of time what I wanted from this match, I would've said I wanted a lot of dumb spots, a lot of dumb tag team moves. Just dumb poo poo in general. And we got that in spades. What an absolutely glorious clusterfuck of a match. The only downside is Dante's hosed up ankle/knee, loving poo poo that looked awful.

Also as someone who initially didn't care at all about ROOOOOSH holy hell have I turned around on him. Dude loving owns.

And the perfect moment to cap the match off with Mark Briscoe and FTR coming in to hug it out with the Luchas. And drat, the Kingdom crying with Mark also got me.

Wheeler Yuta vs. Katsuyori Shibata for the Pure Title

Holy loving poo poo that owned. Insanely good grapple loving, insanely good striking, insanely good chopping. I've only seen Shibata wrestle since he came back from having his brain taken out and put back in his head, and I have been in awe of the dude every time. He just carries himself so well and is so god drat good in the ring.

That spot where he's taunting Yuta to keep chopping him again and again, and just absorbing the chops effortlessly with his tiddies was so good. And then he just LEVELS Yuta with a single elbow strike.

And christ, I never would have guessed that Shibata is going over so that's an extra special surprise. I got worked once again! Super eager to see what Shibata's reign is going to be like. I hope he isn't just a belt pillow like Suzuki was for the TV title because I would like to see the guy wrestle a lot more.

Claudio Castagnoli vs. Eddie Kingston for the RoH World Championship

That match was great but jesus loving christ gently caress that booking decision Tony.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 1, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If anyone wants any clips from the show (not the Dante injury, I refuse to watch that poo poo again) just name moments.

e: here's two, as a treat (both have sound)

https://i.imgur.com/AmOrMMR.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/A2ruXAd.mp4

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 1, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the Mark and Eddie finishes were the wrong decisions. I can see mmmmaybe doing one of them, but doing both basically falls back into one of Khan's biggest failings as a booker: He chases 'long term storytelling' to try and milk a bigger reaction even when it doesn't make sense and often hurts long term perception of stars and angles. And that's not to say that it doesn't still work to a degree when he gets there in some cases, but he absolutely misses the peak or keeps things going way after it a lot of the time. Sometimes it's OK to just have a storyline that has a bunch of backstory but you only highlighted 2 months ago and just... pay it off. Like, I think that main event finish might have actually seriously hurt Kingston as a draw. The dude literally can't seem to win ANY storyline and eventually that turns you into a guy fans don't invest in because they know they won't be rewarded.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Too soon to draw any conclusions.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pylons posted:

Too soon to draw any conclusions.

Dude's been booking wrestling across 2 promotions for 4 years. He has a track record now.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Dude's been booking wrestling across 2 promotions for 4 years. He has a track record now.

I don't think Tony has ever missed the boat in the way you're describing. Can you give some examples?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Might not have been so egregious if Claudio didn't cut a promo leading up to this saying Eddie was going to go out there, lose and then blame everyone but himself for losing. Which he likely will

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah it’s a pretty solid track record, Booker of the Year for 4 years straight!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pylons posted:

I don't think Tony has ever missed the boat in the way you're describing. Can you give some examples?

Delaying the Thunder Rosa title win just so they could do it in a cage in Texas sucked. She should have beaten Britt in the previous match and could have just as easily defended in a rematch in the cage.

Tony often delays things due to injury or other circumstances out of his control, like visa issues, but he does tend to be somewhat holding-patterny which feels like labored booking because it takes longer to get to the thing everyone knows is coming.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ganso Bomb posted:

Delaying the Thunder Rosa title win just so they could do it in a cage in Texas sucked. She should have beaten Britt in the previous match and could have just as easily defended in a rematch in the cage.

Tony often delays things due to injury or other circumstances out of his control, like visa issues, but he does tend to be somewhat holding-patterny which feels like labored booking because it takes longer to get to the thing everyone knows is coming.

I guess but I don't know if I'd call that long term storytelling as much as just thinking that it would be better for Rosa to win in her hometown. Plus, wasn't that her idea?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean Jade Cargill is the most obvious case. But I don't even have to move away from the guys involved on this show: Garcia and Kingston. While he might be getting there at some point, I don't think he's ever gonna get the Garcia face turn to be as big as it would've been in the Danielson program. And in that same deal, the Kingston/Jericho feud should've ended like 2 months before it actually did, and definitely shouldn't have ended with Kingston losing. And then there's the Scorpio/Sammy debacle which was dragged out way too long so they could have that MMA chick debut on PPV. There's more mitigated cases like the Acclaimed title win or Hangman's, where there's understandable reasons why they didn't happen at the peak, but also definitely would've been bigger at the earlier time. In both of those, I think the fact that they still worked pretty well camouflages it.

I'd even argue his habit of just dropping stories for weeks at a time then coming back to them cold is a symptom of the same issue of dragging stuff out. It'd be way better if he just ran a program for 4-6 weeks, blew it off and moved on, instead of 2 weeks, then 2 months of nothing, then 3 more weeks. (See Swerve)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

You've described a lot of things that aren't intentionally holding off on something for the long-term story. I think his inability to pivot is an issue, but, for example, with Jade, it's not a long-term story, it's because Statlander got injured.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I do not think Garcia as a face four or so months ago would've worked remotely as well as all the experience he's gotten with the JAS working heel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pylons posted:

You've described a lot of things that aren't intentionally holding off on something for the long-term story. I think his inability to pivot is an issue, but, for example, with Jade, it's not a long-term story, it's because Statlander got injured.

I mean with Jade you could've ended the sentence at 'it's not a long-term story' and the point would be just as fair, I'll admit. But I think this is more a disagreement on the cause rather than the effect. Like, the outcome to both our POV on those cases is the same, and he absolutely needs to be more ready to just pull the trigger. Hell, he's bad about trying to push talent as a big deal by having them lose again and again on TV, which can work to a degree, but eventually they need to beat a star and too often he just doesn't do it. Like Yuta should've beaten Mox at least once, even if it was just the seatbelt and Mox kicking out at 3.1

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

I do not think Garcia as a face four or so months ago would've worked remotely as well as all the experience he's gotten with the JAS working heel.

Yeah, every time this topic comes up I end up thinking that I like what Tony did better then the theoretical version people want. Garcia and Yuta having these two different but mirrored paths they have been walking is way more interesting than Garcia turning face and just joining the BCC. Jade's been the best thing in the women's division for a while so I'm not really upset she is still holding the title and winning. I thought both loses worked last night. Mark losing is absolutely a sad note but it's way more interesting than just putting the title on him because everyone is sad and opens up his future. Eddie winning would of been cool but Eddie self-destructing into being RoH champ who finally someone proved Claudio wrong would of been... dumb. That's a dumb story beat since Claudio is right and Eddie didn't do anything in the run up to prove him wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Then don't do the FIFTEEN YEARS IN THE MAKING video packages yet. Like, mention the history sure, but don't make it the focus of the build unless you're paying that off.

And with Mark, I feel like him winning the title finally still opens up the story of 'and now what'. He managed to push himself to do something he couldn't do before in Jay's memory, and now he's champion on his own, now what does that mean?