Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

nordichammer posted:

I have never played a Breath of Fire game. Should I play 3 or 4?

Yes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

May Chat Thread: New Funky Mode

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's extremely important that lanky wins

do you want to let cultural appropriator funky win

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I voted for funky

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

nordichammer posted:

3 is a solid PS1 era JRPG, and while 4 is gorgeously stylized and has some interesting ideas (combo actions, the reserve party system), it's also a dreadfully meandering experience for most of the game

i'll go out on a limb and say that you should also consider giving dragon quarter a try after either of those; it's a really early exploration of the roguelite formula that hades and the like have made industry standards and has some novel elements like the d-meter that i've never seen replicated anywhere else. it's gotten a bad rap over the years due to how it effectively killed the franchise, but that was more a consequence of it being wildly off the basic BoF formula than it being an outright bad time, IMO

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

:yeshaha:

Of the Yakuza/Judgement/LAD games I've played so far it's out and out #1 for me.
Tonally perfect the whole way through.

Just some of the absolute best boss fights in the series, particularly the dynamic intros, coupled with absolute bangers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhemxr9Wdm0&t=104s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkdT2OKvzsk

When you do get to Yakuza 1, play it on the easiest setting.
Very good game, very good story. Just some of the boss fights are straight up damage sponges, you're really only playing Yak1 to get to Yak2
The ending fight to Yak2 is :kiss:

If you're playing more Yakuza games in the future I'd def recommend Yak1->Yak2->Judgement->Lost Judgement
Reason for that is it's continued refinement of the battle systems from Yak0. Lost Judgement has an amazing flow to fights
Yak3 is good, but it's def more a HD version than a remaster like 1+2, so you're going back to an 'old' fighting system

Judgement games have an amazing soundtrack as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBcLs8EozCc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-u53hugrdM

Thank you for the advice! I am going to do that. Looking forward to getting into the Judgment games. I have all of the titles on Steam. :homebrew: I've now completed in order, Like a Dragon, Ishin!, and Yakuza 0.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wizard2 posted:

the thread of prophecy.... severed....

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I think my favorite glitch to see in Cyberpunk is when people are supposed to be wielding weapons and yet the weapon model is not showing. We just did a mission where we got some stolen meds back from a PTSD-riddled veteran and they were supposed to be pointing an assault rifle at us, but instead it just looked like they were a really powerful mime at least powerful enough to use this invisible gun to shoot themselves when we took the meds away

Also, bold of them to name one of the contacts Mr. Hands.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Vermain posted:

3 is a solid PS1 era JRPG, and while 4 is gorgeously stylized and has some interesting ideas (combo actions, the reserve party system), it's also a dreadfully meandering experience for most of the game

i'll go out on a limb and say that you should also consider giving dragon quarter a try after either of those; it's a really early exploration of the roguelite formula that hades and the like have made industry standards and has some novel elements like the d-meter that i've never seen replicated anywhere else. it's gotten a bad rap over the years due to how it effectively killed the franchise, but that was more a consequence of it being wildly off the basic BoF formula than it being an outright bad time, IMO

It's more like BoF was never a big seller to begin with, and Capcom entering a phase of cancelling smaller projects to free more capacity for Resident Evils.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Thank you for the advice! I am going to do that. Looking forward to getting into the Judgment games. I have all of the titles on Steam. :homebrew: I've now completed in order, Like a Dragon, Ishin!, and Yakuza 0.

:hellyeah:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

haha what posted:

POLL STANDINGS: FINAL DAY TO VOTE!!

its the final day to get your votes in and funky is trailing by 2 votes...will the dastardly cheetah get their way?? is lanky really the hardest kong to escape from? no matter what happens, its been a hell of a race!

poll closes tonight!

Can't vote. Won't vote.

Really hope May is a fun month. It's been an extremely poo poo year so far, especially this weekend.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

homeless snail posted:

I'd really like to see max castillo get up to the double digits. both in votes and also innings pitched

lol

hey i did my part

rox
Sep 7, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

do you want to let cultural appropriator funky win

yes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

actually just noticed. everyone stop voting immediately.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

homeless snail posted:

actually just noticed. everyone stop voting immediately.

think about it...joint winners lanky and funky arm in arm

epic weed number for max

everybody wins

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

nordichammer posted:

I say 4.

BoF games in general are pretty meandering but if you're cool with the narrative taking a lot of side tracks they're good times. Personally 4 is my favorite, it has just absolutely gorgeous sprite animaton, great sound track, and a surprisingly good story with one of my favorite video game antagonists ever.

3 is also a good time and it has a great dragon transformation system so if it appeals to you more you'll still have a great time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1652571106375598081

https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/interview/230428w

The Marios are real

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
M is real 2023

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

BoF 3 and 4 are some of the best psone jrpgs. Amazing sprite work and soundtracks. 3 has the better combat and dragon system imo, 4 has the better aesthetic and story. Play both.

BoF 1 is a fairly by the numbers snes jrpgs. 2 tried hard and was ambitious but fumbled hard in certain parts. A modern remake of bof2 would be amazing.

Of all things, dragon quarter shares a bit of DNA with dead rising, I understand? The dragon meter countdown is basically the ancestor of the Dead Rising timer. Really fascinating game, shame it killed the franchise dead.

xedo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 30, 2023

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm playing Harvestella and i don't usually play these JRPG type games but i heard at least one good thing i think from someone around here so we'll see how it goes!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I remember somebody posting some truly bonkers plotpoints in the goty thread for Harvestella. Definitely want to play it at some point

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It is a very good and completely insane game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

xedo posted:

Of all things, dragon quarter shares a bit of DNA with dead rising, I understand? The dragon meter countdown is basically the ancestor of the Dead Rising timer. Really fascinating game, shame it killed the franchise dead.

it's conceptually similar: the d-meter goes up whenever you do anything outside of a town, encouraging you to be efficient in combat, and hitting 100% is an automatic game over with the option to restart at an earlier checkpoint with all your equipment/stats/etc. intact, like a more contiguous version of hades

what always made the d-meter stand out from everything else is that it managed to square the circle of the dreaded ludonarrative dissonance of past BoF games by making it so that ryu's dragon form is genuinely gamebreakingly powerful, but transforming and using any of its abilities causes the d-meter to skyrocket. it manages to hammer home that the dragon form really is a kind of terrifying godlike power while also creating heaps of tension by giving you a get-out-of-jail-free card for tough encounters that may ultimately result in a pyrrhic victory if you slam the d-meter to 100% shortly after

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
TIED AT 43-43!!! :supaburn:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

Oh thanks for the reminder, I finally voted

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rarity posted:

goddamn that's a lot of runs, get a reliever out there

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

funky is up by 1!!!!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HopperUK posted:

goddamn that's a lot of runs, get a reliever out there
send in max castillo!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VostokProgram posted:

funky is up by 1!!!!!

CLOSE THE drat THREAD

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Rarity posted:

CLOSE THE drat THREAD

well thats not very fair to max castillo now is it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I voted for Billy Mitchell because I love that big goofball, he is hilarious and is still fighting people to this day over his fake Donkey Kong / Pac-Man scores from the 80s. And really his scores are not even fake, they just don't qualify for the score categories he wants them placed in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I voted specifically for Billy Mitchell from Eastenders, not the other guy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I once saw Billy Mitchell break into a school cafeteria and drank every carton of chocolate milk screaming he was the king of milk Kong until the cops showed up and then he played the victim

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Locked in my vote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyUG0eglv_M

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
#StopTheSteal

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:thatsrad:

Feldegast42