Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
My six year old loves Dog Man and I love anything by Arthur Lobel. What else should we read?

Edit: feel free to make this a general kids book rec thread too

moana fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Assuming you're okay with books to read to him, these ones by Torben Kuhlmann are absolutely gorgeously illustrated https://www.amazon.com/Books-Torben-Kuhlmann/s?rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3ATorben+Kuhlmann
but they're a little big and not really like Dog Man. I just like telling people about these ones.

Otherwise theres stuff like the Narwhal and Jelly book series which your kid might like. Maybe also look at The Bad Guys series?

Pilkey also has a bunch of other series you can work through

Can also skim the best graphic novel lists for kids that the ALA put out the past couple years.
https://www.ala.org/rt/gncrt/2021-best-graphic-novels-children-reading-list
https://www.ala.org/rt/gncrt/best-graphic-novels-children-reading-list-2022

I haven't worked for the library for a few years so I'm not really up to date with the new stuff

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 1, 2023

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Thanks, requested a few of these from the library. Those illustrations do look incredible.

Chriswizard
May 6, 2007
Watercress is one of the extremely rare books to win both the Caldecott and the Newbery awards.

https://www.amazon.com/Watercress-Andrea-Wang/dp/0823446247

Also good for older ages is American Born Chinese by Gene Yang.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Born-Chinese-Gene-Luen/dp/0312384483

My one story there is a library I worked at had booked Gene Yang for a how to draw comics program back when he was up and coming, but he forgot and didn't show up. He was so apologetic about it he came back and taught it for free and gave away some of his comics. Really nice guy.

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018
Maybe this is more for 12+ years old, but even as an adult I love Neil Gaimans book Coraline I also enjoyed the Graveyard book

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Dog man books are often longer comics, some good kid chapter books for that age are the A-Z mystery series and the Time Jumpers series.

My kids both really enjoyed the Magic Treehouse series, but I found it really messed up that the plot of one was: "Morgan Le Fey sends two kids back in time to the fall of Pompeii to salvage an important scroll. Those contained writing before there were books. Hot ash and rock are falling. The city is doomed. all these people will die. ignore them. Yay! The kids got back safely!"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I found my way here from the forums announcement, so forgive me not being a regular.

My six year old is a very early reader and he is just getting into jellyfish and narwhal, bad guys, and dog-man.

My eight year old was more advanced when she was six and she liked Geronimo Stilton/Thea Stilton, and Rainbow Fairies.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Terry Pratchett's YA books are some of his best work overall. The Wee Free Men is one of my favorite Discworld books period and Nation is superb on every level. Pratchett hit a perfect balance where he was writing books about children without them having to be for children.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

~Coxy posted:

I found my way here from the forums announcement, so forgive me not being a regular.

don’t worry, there are no regulars yet haha

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Youremother posted:

Terry Pratchett's YA books are some of his best work overall. The Wee Free Men is one of my favorite Discworld books period and Nation is superb on every level. Pratchett hit a perfect balance where he was writing books about children without them having to be for children.

im a prachett simp so can definitely +1 wee free men, the tiffany aching books, and discworld in general

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Also, the Jedi Academy books are great, especially the original three (books 4-9 are by a different author and still good.). Similar reading level to Dog Man, though with less potty humor.

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

My first graders are super into Baby Monkey books, which are good for beginning readers since they're a mix of text and illustration. I don't find them super interesting so if you're looking for something that will interest you as well then YMMV. Geronimo Stilton is another long-running series with an action/adventure feel, and some of them are graphic novels as well.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m looking forward to these first grader books. My oldest is 2, and I quite like Sandra Boyton, but I’m ready for the next step.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

lifg posted:

I’m looking forward to these first grader books. My oldest is 2, and I quite like Sandra Boyton, but I’m ready for the next step.
Elephant and Piggy are a good next step, also the Pigeon books and basically anything by Mo Willems.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I love wrestling so I have some wrestling themed books for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Bucks-Stand-Tall-Elite/dp/0988833883

https://www.amazon.com/Wrestling-Dreams-Colt-Cabana/dp/0988833875/

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Next step from Dogman is Looshkin!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My 7yo daughter inhales Pilkey's graphic novels. We went to the library today, and they didn't have any she hadn't already read, got upset, and refused to look at any other books.

I'm a big comic book fan, so I'm supportive of her love. But I'm trying to get her back into early chapter books as well. She used to love Rainbow Fairies and a number of the Scholastic Branches series before discovering Captain Underpants.

Maybe not a recommendation, but advice on trying to get her interested in non-graphic novels again?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

imo its really gonna depend on what her personal interests are. What kind of things is she into (other than fairies)? Would other mythical beast type things (dragons/unicorns) or animal books work?

e:just gonna throw stuff out there based on the Rainbow Magic

You can try doing the Dragonbreath series which is a mix of graphic novel panels and text.

Theres a whole slew of fairy/magic animal type series:Fairy Animals by Lily Small, Magic Puppy/kitten/ponies by sue bentley
Holly webb has non-magic animal books if she'd like that

Otherwise, could try Notebook of Doom books for something more realism based?

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 2, 2023

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Good-Natured Filth posted:

My 7yo daughter inhales Pilkey's graphic novels. We went to the library today, and they didn't have any she hadn't already read, got upset, and refused to look at any other books.

I'm a big comic book fan, so I'm supportive of her love. But I'm trying to get her back into early chapter books as well. She used to love Rainbow Fairies and a number of the Scholastic Branches series before discovering Captain Underpants.

Maybe not a recommendation, but advice on trying to get her interested in non-graphic novels again?

Let her go on with the GN's. There is a huge amount of research that says kids who choose what to read do better as readers. If you want her to experience more trad chapter books, read them to her yourself.
Steps up from dog man:
Investigators
Hilo
Bone
Kayla Miller books
Raina Telgemeier books
Baby sitters club
Babymouse
Asterix (Good, but drawn by a French guy in the 70's so the black guys are somewhat problematic looking)
Tintin (Same)
Amulet

Honestly, there are so many great graphic novels for kids these days, they don't know that have it so good.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Wings of Fire is the dragon series my daughter's older friends (7-9) all got super into.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Maybe cut a deal with her where she has to check out x number of regular books along with x number of graphic novels?

Could try doing "reverse" story times where she reads to you. Or if theres a patient pet available, reads to it. My library used to do "Read to a Dog" events and they were quite popular.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

yaffle posted:

Let her go on with the GN's. There is a huge amount of research that says kids who choose what to read do better as readers. If you want her to experience more trad chapter books, read them to her yourself.
Steps up from dog man:
Investigators
Hilo
Bone
Kayla Miller books
Raina Telgemeier books
Baby sitters club
Babymouse
Asterix (Good, but drawn by a French guy in the 70's so the black guys are somewhat problematic looking)
Tintin (Same)
Amulet

Honestly, there are so many great graphic novels for kids these days, they don't know that have it so good.

Didn't Herge go back and fix that in later editions of Tintin?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Thanks for all the recos. I didn't want to come off like I'm forcing her away from graphic novels - I read like a dozen monthly comic series, so I get the love for the medium.

I was trying to find alternatives, so she has options to try if the graphic novels she likes aren't available because our library doesn't carry a ton geared towards younger kids. She borrowed Bedhead Ted today and is liking that.

We do read chapter books to her every night, so will continue that for sure. And she's liked Rainbow Fairies, Magical Kitten, and Firehawk Island in the past. Maybe reintroducing her to those because they all have a billion books available.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 2, 2023

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

super sweet best pal posted:

Didn't Herge go back and fix that in later editions of Tintin?

There’s no fixing Tintin in the Congo.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm is always my go-to book recommendation for... probably 9-10+? anyone old enough to read a Harry Potter book.

Also good for older middle school+ is the Five Minute Mysteries series by Ken Weber, which is like Encyclopedia Brown if Encyclopedia Brown was written for a slightly older audience (murders and stuff) and also wasn't terrible. Good puzzle fun.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i taught elementary school for 7 years

Tomi Ungerer wrote some lovely picture books. They're kind and compassionate without being saccharine.

Katherine Applegate (yea, the Animorphs author) writes excellent books for kids in upper elementary.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Thanks for all the recos. I didn't want to come off like I'm forcing her away from graphic novels - I read like a dozen monthly comic series, so I get the love for the medium.

I was trying to find alternatives, so she has options to try if the graphic novels she likes aren't available because our library doesn't carry a ton geared towards younger kids. She borrowed Bedhead Ted today and is liking that.
Do you ever request books through the library system? I've been doing more of that and my kid loves that there are special books set aside just for her. She also got her own library card so she can do her own checkouts.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

moana posted:

Do you ever request books through the library system? I've been doing more of that and my kid loves that there are special books set aside just for her. She also got her own library card so she can do her own checkouts.

We actually did that when we got home and put holds on two Dog Man and three Captain Underpants books. She was very excited that she could do that but now has to learn patience...

We don't have her own library card yet (even though we could) because the limit at our library is something like 100 books per card, and she hasn't asked to get her own. We've been making weekly / biweekly trips for awhile, so I'm sure she'd like the novelty of having her own card.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

We actually did that when we got home and put holds on two Dog Man and three Captain Underpants books. She was very excited that she could do that but now has to learn patience...

Are you okay with her reading on a tablet or computer?

Our library system is linked up with a few digital ebook choices that have the books she likes. The instant gratification is amazing! I would look into those as an option, Libby & Hoopla are the two we use the most.

Also see if her school has some at-home digital resources. My son can access Sora & Epic books from home.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

GoreJess posted:

Are you okay with her reading on a tablet or computer?

Our library system is linked up with a few digital ebook choices that have the books she likes. The instant gratification is amazing! I would look into those as an option, Libby & Hoopla are the two we use the most.

Also see if her school has some at-home digital resources. My son can access Sora & Epic books from home.

She has a Fire tablet which looks like it can get both apps (Libby via sideloading). Will definitely look into that as an option as well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
how to train your dragon is a great series, it's somewhat mundane but the quality and the message are both excellent. the books are nothing at all like the movies.

my dad read of mice and men to me when i was 7. i couldn't stop crying at the end. you should read your kid that

e: skip brave story it sucks rear end, it's like somebody who can't write wrote about their favorite final fantasy game and wrapped it around a broken home type drama

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 3, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I absolutely loved The Edge Chronicles when I was young although some scared me a bit too. The illustrations still hold up as fantastic, I mean look at this

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

There was a book series I really loved as a kid called The Shadow Children about a society with a 2 Child law and it's about secret third children raised in attics organizing to overthrow the government

Also the Silverwing series is a Canadian classic. Like warrior cats but way better. Dudes other series about the steam punk kid on a dirigible is pretty good too

I ate up the Dear Canada books as a kid but idk how well they really hold up, definitely some of that was whitewashed tho some of them felt pretty brutal at that age. I think I read a Dear America (? Maybe?) one about the holocaust too

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I have a 5yo and a 10mo, so all recommendations are in that category. We mostly grab whatever from the library, but here are some authors / series we've especially enjoyed:

Mo Williams
Just an utter delight of an author. Writes Pigeon books, Knuffle Bunny, Piggy and Elephant, and a bunch of one-offs. All them are wonderful, funny, deal with good messages, etc. etc.

Sandra Boyton
Silly and short books, often in rhyme or song, and almost all available in board book form. Lots of "routine" books, like bed time or bathtime. Cute, fun to read, nice to look at. Gold standard in very young kids' books

Laura Numeroff
The "If you give a mouse a cookie" author, and has done a ton in that series, but also has frequently teamed up with illustrator Lynn Munsinger for some real good books like Nighty Night Cooper, Beatrice Doesn't Want To, etc. I like that her books often deal with more abstract concepts, things like cause-and-effect, using your imagination to make up songs, etc.

Leslie Patricelli
Has all those books about a baby doing various things. Definitely more of a very young kid author, I like that all her books deal with an important concept (ranging from things like bedtime, to going potty, to the difference between large things and small things, and so on) in a very easy way. It's never too cute or precious, and i don't mind reading them a billion times.

Julia Donaldson
Has written a whole bunch of books, though probably most well known for Room on a Broom, The Stickman, and The Gruffalo. Tends to deal with heavier subjects than most kids books, but nothing kids can't handle

Tony Mitton
Has half a dozen books that cover various machines, like Dazzling Diggers, Busy Boats, etc. Many young kids books rhyme or have a sing-song quality to them, yet it is shocking how bad most authors are at meter. Tony Mitton is very good at it, and I genuinely like reading his books. My oldest was obsessed with trucks for a long time and loved all these books

Sherri Duskey Rinker
Also has a ton of books about machines and construction and so forth, and like Tony Mitton she is very good at both rhyme and meter. Her standout imo is Steam Train Dream Train, which is a perfect goodnight book. Wonderful illustrations

Scholastic Chapter Book Adaptations
It's surely unglamorous work to adapt a property like pokemon, Lego, etc. into a chapter book aimed at young kids, but these books are always consistent in quality. What I like about them is that being attached to existing properties - and in some cases specific episodes or movies of them - helps kids visualize the words being read. We've done things like read the book in which Ash wins a gym battle and then watch the episode right after to compare how it matches with our imaginations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The Long Journey of Mr Poop. My son loved that book when he was 5-6!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the phantom tollbooth, because it correctly assumes children are smarter then people think, and encourages them to think about what "being a good person" really looks like from the inside out.

and its really really funny.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
These are mainly from my own childhood but still hold up

Janet and Alan Ahlberg's picture books and stories. Very funny and a truly insane amount of craft and detail from Janet in terms of illustration.

Margaret Mahy. Wild silly adventures for kids and disturbing kitchen sink fantasy for teens. The kid's adventures almost always have these elaborate Dickensian style endings that are joy to read.

Mitsumasa Anno. Another first rate illustrator. Anno's Aesop: A Book of Fables has the wonderful conceit of two stories being told, one is the actual fable, the other story is Father Fox's guesses based on the illustrations since he can't read. Really fun to read aloud and compare and contrast.

Robert Westall. Genuinely scary stories for older children alongside milder work for younger ones.

If your kids like animals or you would like them to like animals then Gerald Durrell and James Herriot's books are great and very funny but have some outdated attitudes.

Tove Janson probably needs no introduction but her works were and are some of my absolute favorites. A real subtly and emotional complexity to them

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Farmer Duck by Martin Waddell and Helen Oxenbury is a nice, wholesome book about an exploited duck on a farm, and the vanguard of the proletariate other animals rise up, overthrow the farmer, and seize the means of production.

Seriously though it's a nice kids book. Teaches some good values, like "gently caress your boss"

Also recommending anything by Mo Willems, my kids loving love the Pigeon books.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

try every single book recommended in the book barn, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
Momo

Runt

Toad rage