Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the next welterweight title shot?
This poll is closed.
Colby Covington 2 3.51%
Belal Muhammad 17 29.82%
Shavkat Rakhmonov 3 5.26%
Matt Serra 26 45.61%
Marius Zaromskis 4 7.02%
Ben Quadrinaros 5 8.77%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Mekchu posted:

he'll weasel his way into PFL and drive that into the ground as well

He's going to find a way to get Fedor to fight against grab rider from the last fight circus and lose that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Stealth Tiger posted:

Is there an objective way to measure how lotioned a fighter is? I feel that if we don't draw a line in the sand, we are only inviting greasier fighters to take part in the sport.

Has a ref ever stopped a fight and demanded a fighter use an alcohol-based body wash in order to dry out their skin?

I'm the land of the ungreased, the basement gamer is king

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Boco_T posted:

if you are getting back into combat sports in 2023 you should watch one friday fights and nothing else

Very strange way of saying fight circus, the home of sloppy balboa

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
We just had a watch session in the thread for an uncontracted fighter choking a guy out and dropping him on a kerb without a great rending of garments. Just people agreeing it was stupid thuggery and moving on. If that's ok then I can't see why an actual organised and promoted event is off the table when it involves known fighters and is associated with the peak body of MMA.

Slapping sucks and I don't watch it but it's about as newsworthy as bkfc.

Voting 1

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Gramps posted:

gently caress it. Let's take this to it's logical conclusion and start a headbutt only league. What's Mark Kerr up to these days?

None of the above? I'd like to see a freakshow fight thread for all the weird rogue bullshit that's out there these days like StreetBeefs and Rough and Rowdy and whatever the gently caress Fight Circus pulls out of their asses.

Fight circus is more ethical than UFC tho, I doubt I will ever get to see Dana White dropped with liver shots by rampage but John Nut died for our sins

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

CarlCX posted:

I get the rationale here, but I don't think the situations are analogous. The UFC basically didn't advertise Ultimate Surfer, it wasn't branded for them, it wasn't boosted by the company, it didn't share any resources with the company itself, and it wasn't even remotely adjacent to combat sports. Arguably BECAUSE of this failure, the UFC tied itself into Power Slap so hard that they marketed it constantly through the UFC itself. UFC talent presents and commentates it, the UFC went out of its way trying to get ex-UFC fighters to compete on it, they got a TV deal to promote it the exact way they did TUF back in the day. The UFC kicked itself out of its own bespoke arena so Power Slap could use it. Its name is literally Dana White's Power Slap. If the argument is "the only link Power Slap has to the UFC is the UFC's president and marketing and people and branding being all over it," that's not really a great argument for it not being related to the UFC, and being related to the UFC is, unfortunately, being related to MMA.

It is 100% fine to not care about slap fighting or want to know what's going on with Power Slap. I don't! But I do care about the industry, and objectively, slap fighting is a matter of consequence in the industry. This thread has always delved into topics like bullshit matchmaking, slanted marketing, corporate favoritism, fighter pay, fighter safety and fighter bargaining rights, long before I was the one making them, and Power Slap touches all of those problems. Its existence at all, in the way they have chosen for it to exist, is an active drain on the time and resources the UFC could have spent on its own fighters and cards, and its attempts to use UFC's personalities, resources and credibility to springboard it into the mainstream were odious not just because slap fighting is dogshit, but because if it had succeeded, it would have been very, very bad for the sport in terms of what the UFC learned it could get away with to sell people talent, and just how cheaply and easily supplemental product could be made. And we know this is how they looked at it, because MMA fighters who were approached to participate in Power Slap were offered a fraction of what they made fighting for the UFC.

Like, it's one thing to say "power slap isn't MMA," but it's another to say "power slap isn't relevant to the MMA industry." That's just objectively not true.

But that's also why, when I did post poo poo about Power Slap, it was about the marketing, the ratings, the failures: That's the stuff that's relevant to MMA. I didn't loving pay attention to the actual fighting. I know nothing about it, who was on it or who won, because it's loving slap fighting and who could possibly care. If anyone actually had wanted to talk about the ins and outs of slap fighting and what happened on this week's exciting episode of Hand Men, I would've asked them to make a thread to discuss it in detail with anyone who wanted to as opposed to putting it here.

All of that being said:

I think this is a bigger thing than it's getting credit for in the greater conversation. This is also just kind of how things have gone, and it's why I care about us finding some kind of consensus on this people are at least nominally okay with. When we had to worry about wrestleposting and Brock/Ronda crossovers and etc., we also had hundreds of posters making hundreds of posts a day over hundreds of pages a month across multiple threads. There was enough foot traffic that derails were an actual problem for anyone trying to actually keep track of conversation, let alone news.

We have the opposite problem now. When someone posts slap fighting, it's going to become the conversation because that's just the volume of posting we have. At this point we've compressed the entirety of combat sports other than boxing and sumo into a single thread, there are a couple dozen of us and we get twentyish pages on a good month. We barely even need GDTs most weeks, we just do it because it's mildly more organized, and most of the B-league event posts are like three people. And that's a part of the algebra in situations like this. I, personally, think we have so little traffic in general that I'm in favor of posting whatever the gently caress in combat sports or its adjacent news that seems germane to the thread, whether it's gross industry news, Marching Powder's old thread paleontology or random MMA shitposting, because things have compressed so much that anything interesting enough to talk about is probably worth talking about, and that's why rather than relitigating slapfighting when it comes up I would rather people just post stuff they'd rather be talking about.

But the community BEING this small these days also means it's more important than it used to be that it's a community we actually want to loving be in. If the mere mention of Power Slap's existence is enough to disincline people from the thread, that's a thing we should try to figure out.

In terms of distaste I have the same sort of view of bkfc and it's imitators taking well past their prime MMA fighters and having them compete in a different sport they generally have the offensive understanding of but not the defensive. I just don't watch either because then both are gross but the discussion of it here is still interesting. Nevada thinks it's a legitimate combat sport so who am I to judge two warehouse stackers risking a TBI for a night at tgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I think all you need to know about fight circus and how it views it's fighters is the one time somebody in one of their freakshow fights did something that actually hurt their opponent John Nut was clearly unhappy in the past fight interview. Shoot gut wrench powerbombs are dangerous.

Also they ruined the illusion of untrained oiks fighting for the LOLs because they booked two of the guys from the mauy Thai musical chairs in the Menulog delivery man vs uber driver fight.