Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Some of my favorite threads were for bad goon game projects.

Zybourne Clock: Goons attempt to make a steampunk timetravel rpg. Effectively nothing comes of it except for hilarious concept art. References to it get put in various games including Fallout: New Vegas, and one of the most iconic pieces of art made for it sells at auction for 5 thousand dollars. Couldn't find the original thread, but c'mon, you know what this is.

The Demon Rush: A guy buys a ton of ads trying to promote the RPG he made. Goons dissect the game finding more and more bizzare/funny poo poo. To the OP's credit, it's a full, finished game and he's inexplicably still churning out games of similar quality to this very day. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2913491&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Crimson Haze: An Idea guy shows up trying to rally goons into doing most of the work to make his dream MMO. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358114

Deki fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, Rutibex’s taste in board games matched his taste in Path of Exiles builds, apparently.

For the longest time, I never got why he got threadbanned for being dogshit at builds, but I think I get it now. It wasn't really because he was poo poo at the game, was it?

exquisite tea posted:

You could, for instance, train a text-based AI on the prose and narrative content of a well-known fantasy author and ask it to write a fascimile of a popular series of books to your own exact specifications, at a far more prolific output than one human being and/or team of ghostwriters could ever manage. And it would be mostly gibberish and bad, lacking the kind of intuitive logic that a human author would possess, but you could just pay a real editor to shape that text into a state acceptable for mass consumption for way less cost than having to provide an advance for your author. And after all, humans need editors anyway.

At a much smaller level, you could ask an AI to write your research reports or grant proposals, having it instantly generate a desired number of paragraphs that appear plausible and persuasive. It doesn't necessarily matter if the information provided is correct, as the AI does not have any inherent motive to be logically consistent. It only has to look convincing to the people who read it.

I mean, that's been a problem even before AI, there's been bullshit research papers churned out for years.

A lower barrier to entry to churn out crap probably means anything not coming from a reasonably respected institution will get chucked.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Arivia posted:

It’s because he was poo poo at builds and aggressively recommending them to other players. I explained it in SAD recently talking about why POE in general leads to angry posting:

e: to add to this, the new season starts in a week. It’s adding unique talent trees for every single weapon in the game. HAVE FUN.

Oh I definitely get that, I just wasn't reading/posting in the thread when he was pissing people off so it seemed like a bizarre thing to get threadbanned over.

And yes, I'm looking forward to the 4th talent tree in the game being added. unironically.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Frank Frank posted:

Path of exile sounds like the kind of nerdery I’d be into. That worries me

On one hand POE is free and sick as hell

On the other it inspires the worst kind of brainworms.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Leraika posted:

roger ebert gave ff: the spirits within three and a half stars

which, to be fair, I got probably three stars worth of enjoyment out of watching it with buddies and loling at the screen

When that came out my little dumb rear end didn't realize it was a standalone story and spent the first third of the movie wondering when the gently caress Cloud and Barrett were gonna show up

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Powerful Katrinka posted:

The number of Americans who don't know about Wounded Knee is probably depressingly high

A few years ago my grandmother had to explain to my aunt what happened at Wounded knee when discussing the book we got her for christmas (Bury my heart at Wounded Knee), as my aunt had heard that something happened there but knew nothing of the specifics.

Said aunt grew up within an hour and a half of Wounded Knee. poo poo, I grew up there too and didn't learn about it until after we moved.

Deki fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 6, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My lab is a dumbass who will happily eat any pill if i do the usual "here comes a treat" spiel with him.

Granted it usually ends with him getting 2 or more treats immediately after, so maybe he's not so dumb.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
That's really cool of Radia to do that despite all that recently went down.

I also somehow missed that the new goonfund is taking donations, I kind of forgot about it after the Plinkey poo poo died down.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm more of a dragon quest monsters guy

Feels like squeenix whiffed hard by never actually advertising the games they did localize. They're good!

E: fuckin phone posting

Deki fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 25, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

pentyne posted:

lol found it

StarDrive - 4X and Glorious Nippon Space Bears

Dipes is the developer, the meltdown doesn't start until the last few pages.

I feel like if I was a game dev I'd simply just stop posting on SA rather than having a meltdown.

It feels like there's been a few devs to just lose it here over the years.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

pentyne posted:

wildstar was an amazing mmo thread to see play out because it billed itself as 'classic WoW' style for real capital G gamers and the turned out to be run by people who had no loving clue how to manage an mmo and just kept loving things up harder and harder until it went f2p in slightly over a year.

The worst/funniest part is they had a lot of MMO veteran devs/designers who had really good ideas whose work went to poo poo because their leadership were the kind of guys to randomly declare big ambitious ideas to the media before even talking to their devs about it.

An insane amount of work went into making the stupid warplots pvp feature work, and if that was played by more than 200 people total at all, I'd be surprised. And all that work meant the Raids weren't finished, which lead to the devs loving with levelling and the endgame to buy themselves some time, which both didn't work because nothing was truly timegated, and also pissed off anyone who wanted to play the endgame but had a social life and/or a full time job.

FuturePastNow posted:

People always praise the player housing in Wildstar. How did that work?

You had a big plot of land on a floating island, a couple of plots on that island where you could put your main house (generally a space ship) and things like resource nodes or optional challenge items or stuff like that.

You could freely put props up wherever and they gave you a massive amount of freedom of variety and scale, which along with the very large plot sizes, meant a lot of people had some really creative builds. There was an entire crafting profession set up just to make random furniture parts and other housing models one would want.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Endorph posted:

tbh i think its simpler than this and theyre just computer programmers who feel slighted that people see value in a skillset they dont have, so they want to be able to program their way into being an artist

Personally I'm torn between finding some of the new AI stuff coming out really cool, and also absolutely not wanting it to be used to take bread out of the mouths of artists.

Progression in tech always displaces some jobs, but gently caress man, lets not farm out works of human expression out to the algorithm (which are just going to be mismatches of human work anyway, applied via a very complex pattern matching routine).

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Good take

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I wish someone would make Pokémon but good

Good news, there's a new DQM game coming out in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
One of the best decisions I made in recent years was taking my covid stress (pre vaccine rollout) and turning that into motivation to get back into doing regular cardio and lifting when I'd been slacking.

I recommend the C-Spammers do that. Definitely helps calm the doomer nerves.