Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cold open was great. shame about the host. i liked the playstation jewel case in the please don't destroy

Sivart13 posted:

the Molly Shannon / Cheri O'Teri / Will Ferrell era of SNL is one of my least favorites and I was worried about this episode and I was right

also ana gasteyer and chris kattan. i loved this era when i was eleven, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the late '90s-early '00s era of SNL doesn't have a ton of super-memorable stuff - there's the Cowbell sketch, Celebrity Jeopardy, and... that's all I can remember.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, the late '90s-early '00s era of SNL doesn't have a ton of super-memorable stuff - there's the Cowbell sketch, Celebrity Jeopardy, and... that's all I can remember.

Mango, The Antonio Banderas Show, Jingleheimer Junction, Harry Carrey on Update and it's related skit Space: The Infinite Frontier

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah there was a ton of good stuff from that time, just nine of it involved Molly Shannon or Cheri Oteri.

No wait: she was in the bad doctor skit but only had 3-4 lines.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
This week's show may end up being the last of the season if the WGA strike happens

https://deadline.com/2023/04/wga-says-survival-of-writing-as-a-profession-is-at-stake-in-this-negotiation-1235322122/amp/

If not, supposedly Pete Davidson will return to host May 6, according to the ever-reputable Page Six

https://pagesix.com/2023/04/12/pete-davison-will-return-to-host-snl-for-the-first-time/

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Need more Internet money.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Aaah oh my god tonight Ana de Armas !! gently caress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h66MrE0w7L4

My computer is being a poo poo today so this will have to suffice for the air promos such as they are.

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1646103205749612544?s=46&t=RFpkM12r6zopnwEx3foZKw

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1646108757103919104?s=46&t=RFpkM12r6zopnwEx3foZKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncC9mo1dcZM

And those read through photos we all know and crave

This could be the last episode of the season, if the WGA strike goes forward as it appears it will and doesn't end by May 6, when the next scheduled episode is to air, which it seems confirmed to be Pete Davidson to host.

You wanna see the newbies for a bit? We got you fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm-cZpRMZiQ

Yes, and tonight's Vintage is Seth Rogen with Spoon from October 6 2007. That was the third-to-last episode of that season to air before a writer's strike shut poo poo down for a few months. Coincidence? Probably??

Oh yes and a final note: The announced episode back then that was canceled because of the strike was The Rock with Amy Winehouse. Also supposedly Gilda was supposed to host a later S13 ep in 1988 that never happened because of that season's strike. So please keep Pete and the announced musical guest in your thoughts tonight.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Wow, a non-political cold open! How long will this change of hearts last!?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yes I will watch anything with Ana de Armas

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
They're digging out this sketch again? That's... not encouraging.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"You eat dog food for money!?"

"Someday! Right now it's volunteer work..."

"YOU EAT THE DOG FOOD FOR FREE!?"

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Stop breaking the 4th wall and just play your character loving straight Kenan

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"A grip of nipples" got me

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

They're digging out this sketch again? That's... not encouraging.

Yeah I feel like each time they'd had an attractive host, they've done the "she's way too good for this dope!" idea

pwn
May 27, 2004

I WANNA SEE THAT LONGFELLOW

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
“Look what I can do!”

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"WHO WANTS A MARGARONI!?"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
First musical act is a vibe! :peanut:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I don’t think I’ll ever tire of Sarah Sherman ethering Jost on Update

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Lisa from Temecula probably shouldn’t be a recurring character.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Freaquency posted:

Or at least if they're going to bring her back, try to vary it up a little instead of repeating the original sketch beat-for-beat. That's the second sketch tonight they've done that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/thatweekinsnl/status/1647459086361919489?s=46&t=AVPytLAEuVcuqg0rlyKYjg

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Maybe the dogs were a little more cooperative in rehearsal.

pwn
May 27, 2004

He objectively did NOT do a "good job" :mad:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
That was a goddamn good guitar outro.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/larainenewman/status/1647460196212695041?s=46&t=AVPytLAEuVcuqg0rlyKYjg

Got the Laraine Newman Stamp of Approval. Nice.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Snorb posted:

Maybe the dogs were a little more cooperative in rehearsal.

Lights, cameras, strange lady offering spaghetti. What is a dog to think?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Freaquency posted:

I think people really loved the first one but "table shakes so much that cast members laugh" doesn't seem like fruitful soil

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Freaquency posted:

I think the character could be fine, but just doing the same sketch beat-for-beat, with just a few changes ("cuz we're gay?" instead of "cuz I'm Black?"), was a pretty bad mistake.

She mentioned she's a lawyer. The character could be fun in a courtroom sketch, for example.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sivart13 posted:

I think people really loved the first one but "table shakes so much that cast members laugh" doesn't seem like fruitful soil

Yeah, the first one was funny because it was unexpected. But everyone knew exactly what was going to happen when this one started, so it was dead on arrival.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, the first one was funny because it was unexpected. But everyone knew exactly what was going to happen when this one started, so it was dead on arrival.

The dog acting school sketch was also pretty painful. The way that poor pug puppy--who was obviously terrified--was getting pushed was really uncomfortable to watch.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

The dog acting school sketch was also pretty painful. The way that poor pug puppy--who was obviously terrified--was getting pushed was really uncomfortable to watch.

I gotta say, I laughed my rear end off at the dog who noped the gently caress out of the spaghetti scene.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I gotta say, I laughed my rear end off at the dog who noped the gently caress out of the spaghetti scene.

A wise man once said, "Never work with children or animals." (I wish I could remember who.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snorb posted:

A wise man once said, "Never work with children or animals." (I wish I could remember who.)

WC Fields.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The dog sketch wouldn’t exactly have been a barn burner if it went as scripted, so I’d rather watch the worst case scenario of none of the pups playing ball to be honest.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
They had no idea what to do with de Armas.

Lisa from Temecula went from an all timer to a flop. Sad!

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
No talk about funky Kong? Is it only funny if you played donkey king country in the 90s?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I think the character could be fine, but just doing the same sketch beat-for-beat, with just a few changes ("cuz we're gay?" instead of "cuz I'm Black?"), was a pretty bad mistake.

She mentioned she's a lawyer. The character could be fun in a courtroom sketch, for example.

Yeah, I've noticed that a lot over the last few years - re-using entire sketches beat-for-beat without changing anything up.

It feels like the current crop of writers are struggling with how to do recurring characters/bits.

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

They had no idea what to do with de Armas.

Yeah, that was pretty clear from the first sketch. "She's an attractive woman? Time to do the Matt Shatt sketch again!"

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have no problem if there's one sketch per episode.thats just so over the top that it's a challenge for the host and cast to get through. But, yeah, repeating the same bit a few weeks later isn't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was it Jennifer Lopez’s episode where pretty much every sketch boiled down to ‘she is good looking’.