Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that a lot over the last few years - re-using entire sketches beat-for-beat without changing anything up.

It feels like the current crop of writers are struggling with how to do recurring characters/bits.

That's been an issue with John Mulaney's returns, too. I know he loves musicals and I know that Diner Lobster was an absolutely all-timer of a sketch, but you can't keep trying to draw blood from that stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Those musical sketches feel very much for the cast more than anyone else, like maybe it's super fun for them to do SNL production levels of crap they did in highschool.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The American Dream posted:

No talk about funky Kong? Is it only funny if you played donkey king country in the 90s?

Oh, Funky Kong was amazing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just started new ep on Monday Lunch Live and this episode is already a winner for fulfilling the ancient prophecy of a non-political cold opener. The end of days has come so I'm strapped in for some laughs at least.

Edit: I liked this episode. Producer tag skit and psychic squirm got me hardest. Grip of nipples got a laugh out of an otherwise bad sketch.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 17, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Timby posted:

That's been an issue with John Mulaney's returns, too. I know he loves musicals and I know that Diner Lobster was an absolutely all-timer of a sketch, but you can't keep trying to draw blood from that stone.

Especially since they seem to be reaching a bit for which musicals to pull from. The last one kind of ran out of songs people would recognize.

Edit: though with Cecily Strong' main side project being a love letter to different eras of Broadway I could see her having been the main push for it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The big problem with the musical bits is they keep trying to do too much. The first one focused on one premise and one musical, had two big set changes, and got a lot of mileage out of both. All of the subsequent versions have tried to pull from multiple musicals with 3 or 4 set changes and it is all just too much and loses focus, for me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Very rough episode after a streak of some pretty good ones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did you miss the Molly Shannon ep?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Goddamn Jolin Cost is here in Madison and tix are like $200/ea.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I can't imagine him performing outside of the update framework. Was he ever in normal skits?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I think he has done 2 or 3 since he’s been on the show. His standup is almost exactly like his update segments.

I’m glad the guy is making bank, but those ticket prices seem excessive.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrB8a7uhXh8

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I think he has done 2 or 3 since he’s been on the show. His standup is almost exactly like his update segments.

I’m glad the guy is making bank, but those ticket prices seem excessive.

Didn't cost this much when Seinfeld came to town.

His standup sucked though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

GreenNight posted:

Goddamn Jolin Cost is here in Madison and tix are like $200/ea.

$200 for any comedy show is the dumbest poo poo imaginable. Just to listen to some jackass speak for 90 minutes?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I've always felt that way. The most I'm OK with spending is $50 for close seats for someone I really want to see. gently caress I'm going to see Ron Funches and it's $25. Henry Rollins is always like $15 or $20 and he's one of the best speakers I've ever seen.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

GreenNight posted:

I've always felt that way. The most I'm OK with spending is $50 for close seats for someone I really want to see. gently caress I'm going to see Ron Funches and it's $25. Henry Rollins is always like $15 or $20 and he's one of the best speakers I've ever seen.

Just got tix for Maria Bamford in a small bar for 40 bucks, can't wait.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GreenNight posted:

I think the most I ever spent on a comedy show was $40 each for Craig Ferguson when he was at the Overture Center in Madison in like 2015; my ex-wife and I had a hell of a time at the show.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

GreenNight posted:

I'd love to see Rollins. He seems like the rare kind of guy with just enough of an ego that he fell in love with the sound of his own voice and thought that everyone needed to hear him speak... and he was totally right. Even if his set is nothing but anecdotes about women he's hosed or how hard it was to find chicken and waffles at 5AM in the 1980s or out-of-touch rants about electronic music, I'd still love to hear him. Is what he does even really 'standup comedy'?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I'd love to see Rollins. He seems like the rare kind of guy with just enough of an ego that he fell in love with the sound of his own voice and thought that everyone needed to hear him speak... and he was totally right. Even if his set is nothing but anecdotes about women he's hosed or how hard it was to find chicken and waffles at 5AM in the 1980s or out-of-touch rants about electronic music, I'd still love to hear him. Is what he does even really 'standup comedy'?

Na, spoken word tours. It’s always a blast. Last time I saw him he signed his book for folks after. Such a nice guy to his fans.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tonight's Vintage is Issa Rae with Justin Bieber from October 17 2020, wow.

Regular repeat is Travis Kelscea Ballerina.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pwn posted:

Tonight's Vintage is Issa Rae with Justin Bieber from October 17 2020, wow.

I finally made it through the fallon seasons on my rewatch, personally tied for worst stuff with the '85 season. I'm at 2006/S31, they just lost paula pell at the end of 30 which can't be a good thing. I think I stopped watching around this point (around the lipsync controversy) and didn't take it up again until 2011 so these seasons are uncharted waters for me.

e: it also hosed me up seeing Kenan's first season and realizing that dude is easily going to hit 20 years of snl...if lorne doesn't pass it to him after s50 he's dumb

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 23, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think Keenan just stays on for the free room and board.

As long as they don't end it or hand it off to Jost I'll be satisfied

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Khanstant posted:

I think Keenan just stays on for the free room and board.

As long as they don't end it or hand it off to Jost I'll be satisfied

I don't see them ending it in 2025, but I do see lorne leaving at that point for real this time. Going by season 6-10, that can go real bad.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Seth Myers and Keenan running it would be pretty good I think.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Cast members aren't going to be producers

Also while they have their issues, the Ebersol years are good years, though it was running low on fuel in 84-85. Even Doumanian's year has its moments, though I'm not quite the S6 stan as Andrew Dick is.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
SNL has also been around for so long I have to assume to some extent it's a machine that runs itself. Lorne leaving now isn't like when he left before. It's the last of a unique American art form so I hope it never just goes away entirely. It has its ups and downs but I'm always glad the coaster is an option.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pwn posted:

Cast members aren't going to be producers

Never understood why the most frequently named people are always cast people. It’ll probably be some dude most of us never heard of.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
y'all been skipping the credits for 20 years I see

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Never understood why the most frequently named people are always cast people. It’ll probably be some dude most of us never heard of.

You kind of answered why people name people they've heard of instead of people they don't know lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

“I have no idea who’d take over” is what people would say for pretty much any other show, but there seems to be this thing for the last 10 years where people are convinced Kenan will for SNL based solely on the fact he’s been there so long.

pwn
May 27, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

“I have no idea who’d take over” is what people would say for pretty much any other show, but there seems to be this thing for the last 10 years where people are convinced Kenan will for SNL based solely on the fact he’s been there so long.

My money's on Steve Higgins. He's been a producer for like 20 years and everyone there respects him. He's not young (he'll be 62 in 2025, when Lorne likely retires) but he ain't Lorne's age, he's got a good decade or even two in him.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Frankly, I think it’ll be good once Lorne retires. Watching that one behind the scenes doc about how the writers all cram into his office and awkwardly pitch ideas seemed like a horrible way to foster creativity.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

JazzFlight posted:

Frankly, I think it’ll be good once Lorne retires. Watching that one behind the scenes doc about how the writers all cram into his office and awkwardly pitch ideas seemed like a horrible way to foster creativity.

I gotta disagree that his way didn't work. Yeah, it fosters competition, and listening to a lot of cast members reflect, it makes writers anxious ridden wrecks trying to get stuff on air. So that's not amazing, sure...

That said, Lorne is actually a comedy writer and performer first, and I think that's why the guy makes the show work. Throwing someone into the mix who is just production doesn't work (see my comments on the non-lorne years). If you pass the show to someone who doesn't have that foundation it will come through, for sure.

I like the idea of che or thompson not being another old white guy in charge. SNL usually does the worst with the 18-49 demographic, so you gotta wonder how long those 55+ viewers are going to hang in there based on nostalgia for whatever period of the show they had growing up.

source: https://ustvdb.com/networks/nbc/shows/saturday-night-live/

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?live?P_K26kPhNLw

I don't usually post SNN vids (they're good! Just not something I typically do) but here is a primer on strike-affected seasons of SNL and how the current vote to authorize a strike affects S48.

Schneider and Kenney do great but there are a few nitpicks I noted. I can only really speak authoritatively on 2007-08 since the other strikes predate my awareness of the show.

- The 2007-08 strike was explicitly about streaming, not only DVDs. Hulu had just launched with NBC as one of its content partners, you could watch shows like Conan and Jay and SNL next day, and the WGA could see what potential the future held as well the nets could. This was very public, I want to make sure that this isn't lost to the fog of history. Streaming was around in 2007, nascent as it was.

- Re: Late night in that season. It isn't noted by the hosts but Leno came back on January 2 2008 (along with all the other non-Dave hosts, basically forced to by the networks who were going to lay off their staffs) and he was the only one blatantly writing material (unlike the other non-Dave hosts)—his first show, he justified writing his own monologue as not violating strike because idk i guess he wanted to?? He said some poo poo about how he wrote his jokes with his wife and so it was totally cool guys. He never suffered any repercussions for blatantly breaking the rules, which is i guess a precursor to the Trumpism era of Nothing Matters.

- The canceled November 10 was billed as The Rock; Schneider says it was his first time hosting since 2002 as The Rock and that his billing was Dwayne Johnson.

Screencap from my recording of the Brian Williams/Feist show, which was the last before the strike began.

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 27, 2023

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

pwn posted:

- Re: Late night in that season. It isn't noted by the hosts but Leno came back on January 2 2008 (along with all the other non-Dave hosts, basically forced to by the networks who were going to lay off their staffs) and he was the only one blatantly writing material (unlike the other non-Dave hosts)
Your video doesn't load for me, but didn't Jon Stewart do basically the same thing?

I can't find any clips from the era in the 20 seconds I've looked, but I thought it looked mostly like a normal Daily Show but Stewart wrote the jokes himself so they were not as good / plentiful.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

Your video doesn't load for me, but didn't Jon Stewart do basically the same thing?

I can't find any clips from the era in the 20 seconds I've looked, but I thought it looked mostly like a normal Daily Show but Stewart wrote the jokes himself so they were not as good / plentiful.

Touche, I did not watch Stewart and Colbert in that time so I did not know that!

Also here is the video, the awful app is being weird about letting me embed videos.

https://www.youtube.com/live/P_K26kPhNLw

Edit: I guess because it has "live" in the URL. Even though the video hasn't been live for hours. Hrm.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

pwn posted:

Touche, I did not watch Stewart and Colbert in that time so I did not know that!
I was watching every single Daily Show / Colbert ep throughout the ~2006-2010 era so I remember the strike vaguely.

The vibe I got at the time is certain people thought they could get away with writing if they were hyphenates, e.g. writer-producer, not just writers. But I might have manifested that idea because Jon was doing it and I figured he wouldn't do it if it wasn't allowed. Hmm.

The Wikipedia article claims "Stewart and the correspondents largely ad-libbed the show around planned topics", which feels unlikely to me. I spent a little extra time and dug up some clips from that era to remember what they felt like:

2008-01-15 "The Jimmy Legs"
2008-01-15 "Bush's Bucket List"

Though the content may be "loose" and "not as funny" it's hard for me to regard it as "ad-libbed". Stewart's remarks are ordered and synced with pre-edited video and photoshopped graphics just like any Daily Show episode.

This poorly sourced NYT article from the era claims he didn't use the teleprompter but I'm skeptical. Since I'm down the rabbit hole, here's two other sources from the period that are also skeptical.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I can't watch any of the videos linked at the moment, but I do remember Stewart saying they basically had to come back because John Oliver was still here on a work visa, or something like that, and if they didn't come back, Oliver wouldn't be working, and so he'd have to go back home to England. Which no one wanted. So they came back to keep their friend/co-worker from being deported. If that helps at all.

Doesn't excuse them actually writing, though, if they did.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Pretty much every late night host was “ad-libbing” back then: they all pretended to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

It's remarkable some of the things that were achieved during the writers strike without violating any of it 👀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVfGh_4IFQ4