Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

FrozenVent posted:

The fact that the accident led to the implementation of the ISM code - arguably the biggest change in maritime regulation since the motherfucking Titanic should tell you it wasn’t about one dude falling asleep.

I listened to that episode and felt like they were pretty clearly blaming capitalist cost cutting for creating the situation more than the dude falling asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

stealie72 posted:

You all are listening to Lions Led By Donkeys and Hell Of A Way To Die, right?

I think it was Lions Led By Donkeys that had a series on the Iran Iraq War, and I learned (and double checked because it was so bizarre) that Iran had been moving troops through a swamp so Iraq rigged the water with wires and electrocuted a whole lot of guys.

The Unconventional Soldier is another good one by UK artillery vets who have interesting stories & good interviews. They had a guy who had been on the ground in the Falklands & contrary to popular images of the war being a joke turned out the Argentinian infantry was competent and put up a serious fight.

They also had someone who had been in Northern Ireland during the Troubles, which sounded intense but had humor like how British troops were very limited in being able to call home as there was risk of the IRA intercepting calls, except the Welsh officers could call home all they wanted as apparently Irish have extreme trouble understanding Welshmen. Also had interesting info about how during a Red Storm Rising how they were trained to be stay behind spotters with elaborate concealment to call down artillery on the Red Army. This mission would likely be concluded by the front line going too far west and they realized in retrospect their superiors were vague about how they’d reach allied lines and that they’d 100% be POWs.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

McNally posted:

Holy poo poo the three star quoted in this article was the colonel at the Pentagon who reached out to me when I dropped that "gently caress you, here's everything you hosed up" letter on Big Army.

Good for him.

May I read it?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

A.o.D. posted:

May I read it?

Gimme a minute to make a redacted version

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I think it was Lions Led By Donkeys that had a series on the Iran Iraq War, and I learned (and double checked because it was so bizarre) that Iran had been moving troops through a swamp so Iraq rigged the water with wires and electrocuted a whole lot of guys.

The Unconventional Soldier is another good one by UK artillery vets who have interesting stories & good interviews. They had a guy who had been on the ground in the Falklands & contrary to popular images of the war being a joke turned out the Argentinian infantry was competent and put up a serious fight.

They also had someone who had been in Northern Ireland during the Troubles, which sounded intense but had humor like how British troops were very limited in being able to call home as there was risk of the IRA intercepting calls, except the Welsh officers could call home all they wanted as apparently Irish have extreme trouble understanding Welshmen. Also had interesting info about how during a Red Storm Rising how they were trained to be stay behind spotters with elaborate concealment to call down artillery on the Red Army. This mission would likely be concluded by the front line going too far west and they realized in retrospect their superiors were vague about how they’d reach allied lines and that they’d 100% be POWs.

The power line thing was in our "So you are fighting Iraq" books. Terrified me. Thousands killed at once with no warning. No sounds of aircraft or incoming, no rumbling tracks or whistling shells.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I listened to that episode and felt like they were pretty clearly blaming capitalist cost cutting for creating the situation more than the dude falling asleep.

Heh they were still attributing too much blame to the worker for my taste. Similarly their - much earlier in the run - Piper Alfa episode features a whole bit where Liam rants about “why didn’t they just use a ratchet wrench, idiots? They even make a fun sound!”

And like, I get that their whole bit is to do the absolute bare minimum of research but “poo poo exploded lol” isn’t even where it gets interesting. Compare to, say, a CSB video. Any of them.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

McNally posted:

Gimme a minute to make a redacted version

Here is the first letter. I sent this to my congresscritters, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of the Army, Chief of Staff of the Army, and the House and Senate Armed Services Committees. It's four pages long so I don't blame you if you don't read it. I don't think anyone else did either. At first.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LrZYeND-WAkL5XrhD01kU_t3CCk5AN4w/view?usp=sharing

About a month later I received a letter from someone writing on behalf of, I think, the Chief of Staff of the Army who vomited some platitudes at me and then closed by calling my wife by the wrong name. I sent this letter in response.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pBaYOmgUih-fdXQbz4sLoYLnrp-ru7ul/view?usp=sharing

Colonel, now LTG, Stitt called me on the phone 11 days later. Seems I touched a nerve.

Turns out that Army casualty assistance is split into two little fiefdoms: The uniformed side and the civilian side. The uniformed side managed to wrest more control away from the civilian side as a direct result of my letter because, it turns out, people in uniform give more of a poo poo about casualty assistance than DA civilians.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The silver lining:

Let's say someone wants out, but they're committed to 11 years.

ETS at 11 years: neat, here's your BRS-era TSP, I guess.

Involuntarily separated for failing to be promoted to Major above zone:
Separated at about 11 years and a few months and walk away with (in 2023) about $97,000 in severance pay, plus retain the regular benefits.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1651668743561379840?t=3coQ9g5lRBjRfk5oANpE8w&s=19

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1651590080283267074?t=A-4nyMwhu_VwC0mixGuXQg&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
fryshocked.gif

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

McNally posted:

Here is the first letter. I sent this to my congresscritters, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of the Army, Chief of Staff of the Army, and the House and Senate Armed Services Committees. It's four pages long so I don't blame you if you don't read it. I don't think anyone else did either. At first.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LrZYeND-WAkL5XrhD01kU_t3CCk5AN4w/view?usp=sharing

About a month later I received a letter from someone writing on behalf of, I think, the Chief of Staff of the Army who vomited some platitudes at me and then closed by calling my wife by the wrong name. I sent this letter in response.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pBaYOmgUih-fdXQbz4sLoYLnrp-ru7ul/view?usp=sharing

Colonel, now LTG, Stitt called me on the phone 11 days later. Seems I touched a nerve.

Turns out that Army casualty assistance is split into two little fiefdoms: The uniformed side and the civilian side. The uniformed side managed to wrest more control away from the civilian side as a direct result of my letter because, it turns out, people in uniform give more of a poo poo about casualty assistance than DA civilians.

First, thanks for sharing that with me.

Second, holy poo poo I was not ready to read that. I was expecting, well, I'm not sure what, but it sure as gently caress wasn't that. With that said, having been on the wrong side of payroll and personnel fuckups, I believe every single word of what I just read.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

It's four pages long so I don't blame you if you don't read it. I don't think anyone else did either. At first.

I read it. I mean I had a rough idea of what you had gone through based on your posts over the years, but gently caress me, that poo poo is awful dude. I'm sorry you and anyone else who lost a family member had to deal with that poo poo. Unfuckingbelievable.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Some of the stuff like being confused about a guardsman and paperwork processing isn't the most surprising thing on Earth, even though it's deplorable in execution, but the RAPIDS center saying "no, you just don't get to have an ID, and I'm keeping your ID now" is just so lovely and weird. It's not only extremely wrong, the lazier answer is just to shrug and say they don't know and let the family member leave without helping, not to go out of their way to gently caress the survivor over.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Some of the stuff like being confused about a guardsman and paperwork processing isn't the most surprising thing on Earth, even though it's deplorable in execution, but the RAPIDS center saying "no, you just don't get to have an ID, and I'm keeping your ID now" is just so lovely and weird. It's not only extremely wrong, the lazier answer is just to shrug and say they don't know and let the family member leave without helping, not to go out of their way to gently caress the survivor over.

Some people like nothing more than confiscating IDs. When my CAC was up for renewal two cycles ago the dipshit at the desk tore the current one out of my hands almost before I could finish asking for the new one.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I read it, it reminded me of how hosed the military is, and how glad I am to have my DD-214.

Sorry doesn't help at this point McNally, but gently caress dude, what you did/try to continue to do is important. Please keep pinging us whenever we need to yell at our congresscritters.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

McNally posted:

loving hell, what a nightmare.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm so sorry, McNally. You deserved so much better.

NB (really old business):

https://twitter.com/UrbanistOrg/status/1651662935767552001?s=20

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

McNally posted:

Good lord. :stare:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

McNally posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I'm so sorry.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You fought back.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

McNally posted:

jesus gently caress man im so sorry

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Carteret posted:

I read it, it reminded me of how hosed the military is, and how glad I am to have my DD-214.

Sorry doesn't help at this point McNally, but gently caress dude, what you did/try to continue to do is important. Please keep pinging us whenever we need to yell at our congresscritters.

Whole heartedly feel the same on all counts.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Thanks for sharing those letters, I'm boiling with rage now but we need to see these things.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

The silver lining:

Let's say someone wants out, but they're committed to 11 years.

ETS at 11 years: neat, here's your BRS-era TSP, I guess.

Involuntarily separated for failing to be promoted to Major above zone:
Separated at about 11 years and a few months and walk away with (in 2023) about $97,000 in severance pay, plus retain the regular benefits.

This happened to us, but it was a matter of months rather than years.

Edit: Just read the letters. I'd heard/read most of it, but jfc. That story, and letters, should be published in Army Times or something.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 28, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I regret to inform you that Audrey Tatou of “Amelie” fame is unfortunately a chud.

https://twitter.com/fbiwfo/status/1651617941723512832?s=46

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I regret to inform you that Audrey Tatou of “Amelie” fame is unfortunately a chud.

Lmfao

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

This happened to us, but it was a matter of months rather than years.

Edit: Just read the letters. I'd heard/read most of it, but jfc. That story, and letters, should be published in Army Times or something.

I provided details and documents to Stars and Stripes in 2018 but apparently the guy I was working with was told not to pursue this because he ghosted me lol

Going through the email chain for that reminded me of a few things, like how I managed to keep falling through the cracks even after they started fixing things. They started fixing things because of my letter, wrote me a letter to tell me they did, and then... somehow the letter never got to me.

Apparently holy hell started raining down on offices at Fort Meade because Big Army sent a copy of my letter to the garrison commander, who probably didn't appreciate seeing his fort being named so prominently in an "everything is hosed up and I have receipts" letter.

McNally fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 28, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

I provided details and documents to Stars and Stripes in 2018 but apparently the guy I was working with was told not to pursue this because he ghosted me lol

Want CJ Chivers or David Rohde’s number my guy? Cause I got that on deck for ya.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TheWeedNumber posted:

Want CJ Chivers or David Rohde’s number my guy? Cause I got that on deck for ya.

Nah. I've put a lot of this behind me and there's really not a lot to be gained. poo poo was broken, poo poo got fixed, I've moved on.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

Nah. I've put a lot of this behind me and there's really not a lot to be gained. poo poo was broken, poo poo got fixed, I've moved on.

Ok well I’m gonna slide into one of their DMs at some point behind this Voc Rehab bullshit. FYI, DM me because although I mainly have my own experiences to talk about, probably this summer and for sure next summer I will be “stacking mags” on these motherfuckers and gathering as much evidence I can to take it to some reporter type. Get some sunshine on the issue to disinfect it. And it’s not even a “you’re salty about your program” issue neither. It’s a “I’ve been lied to and hosed with since 2018 and if it’s happening to me it’s happening to others.” I didn’t go forward, y’all went forward. So the least I can do is go forward on this for y’all and everyone else.

Because more than a few people took their no. Or stopped fighting for their benefits or said gently caress it. And I need y’all to know that poo poo is by design. They don’t wanna pay out. But imma get em. Imma get em twice.

First, on this Masters and possibly PhD money. Second, gonna make em famous yet again. Anyway I’ll have a coke with that.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

TheWeedNumber posted:

But imma get em. Imma get em twice.

Godspeed.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

What gets me on this one is that I clicked through earlier looking for comedy comments on the tweet. But, since twitter blues are basically all chuds, the replies were all poo poo about her being an FBI plant along with the usual Ray Epps nonsense. I couldn't even find any jokes in there because of the blue-boosted chud replies.

The power users seem to be psyched up about the Bluesky twitter knockoff in closed beta, but at least it's already created some comedy:

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1651746564577062912?t=XidZpF1yC9LLR8_CFgNFzw&s=19

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That's her? :ohdear:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1652045992030511108?t=ASEJsDUG5grJaoyiQEGgCA&s=19

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lmbo, gently caress yeah

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Midjack posted:

That's her? :ohdear:

That's the joke

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lol it passed the state senate though. So now some magic has to happen to reconcile the house and senate versions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Holy poo poo those comments.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/KaivanShroff/status/1652027248076005397?t=-CRuw8_SEN1InYAGRdQERw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Man there's going to be so many articles written and political speeches made about SCOTUS being bought and paid for. Just, so many. Nothing else of course. But so many articles and speeches.