Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
George Bush talking about abortion on TV
Giving the responsibility to the state
Poor sixteen year old Suzie crying
Impregnated by her last date
How can we live in a world of such impurities
Only concern is our own self security
You say I'm a poet
I'm expressing my feelings
Sick and tired of being called the son of Dan Fielding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

its called music

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Star Trek IV should replace the Constitution of the United States.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I was writing a poem, but it's hard to rhyme the word frenulum.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Another day another dollar
Make that a million, pop my collar
My days are empty, full of ennui
Dad pays Mexicans to do my laundry
“Failson”, they call me “failson”
“Don’t do nothin, should be in jail, son”
But they don’t know me or my trials
Fingers sore from opening these coke vials

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I got bugs in my rear end
bugs in the rear end
If I was in the US
I'd have no more rear end

In a real country
They showed me on a bum tree
the progression of the worms
In childlike terms

doo do do, do dodo

The visit was free, and the ointment was cheap
rear end is ok now

dk2m
May 6, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

:wotwot:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The money feels good
And your life, you like it well
THE END

dk2m
May 6, 2009

cumpantry posted:

its called music

Honestly I’ve kind of thought about this but your generic billionaire failson is just copying whatever whatever is already created by regular people that ended up getting popular. Succession did a good job of making one of them obsessed with working class NY rap and being insanely corny about it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pendulum? Not really. Half rhyme at best. Same with speculum.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Every once in a while I'll see a poem someone shares on social media that I think is contemporary (I've never been much into poetry so it could be old and I've just never seen it). I think it's always been free-form type with weird spacing and not rhyming which is like, cool and all but I feel like the rhyming and structure was what made poetry interesting and seem like it takes talent. Like here's some contemporary poetry off a quick Google

TOMMY PICO posted:

“I thot falling in love was a burden A kind of / crowding on my landscape Love creates space, dummy Doesn’t / take it up
Like anybody can write words and put random non rhythmic spacing in it. What I think of as good poetry usually has had rhyming and/or meter to it. But maybe I'm just old fashioned like that.

I think a lot of it also has to do with the fact that when poetry was popular written word was the main way people entertained themselves and was pretty much the only way to distribute words. Ever since recorded music got super easy to distribute I think poetry died. Sure, people could listen to poetry but music is more fun for most people, more easily accessible.

Reading music is pretty hard so back in the day it was easier to just write the rhyming stuff as poetry.

I dunno but I think it's a combination of these things that's made poetry unpopular nowadays. It seems like there is the potential for it to come back though. All you have to do is get people to share it online.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No money in it though, which is why only rich people and trust fund hippies do it.

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit
Rich people kill kids in the woods, everyone, that’s what they’re doing *kicks back with a blunt and a🧉*

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Ya I think poetry as a medium is now just forever associated to me with overwrought teenagers and Livejournal. But I dunno, what else do rich people do? They have infinite money, they literally don’t have to worry about anything except living a good life and it feels like that was atleast the social contract when landlords and poo poo were still around. Like alright, we won’t burn your estate down if you keep writing Frankenstein or Les Miserables. But now all we get is endless marvel movies and Linked in posts

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Dixville posted:

Every once in a while I'll see a poem someone shares on social media that I think is contemporary (I've never been much into poetry so it could be old and I've just never seen it). I think it's always been free-form type with weird spacing and not rhyming which is like, cool and all but I feel like the rhyming and structure was what made poetry interesting and seem like it takes talent. Like here's some contemporary poetry off a quick Google

Like anybody can write words and put random non rhythmic spacing in it. What I think of as good poetry usually has had rhyming and/or meter to it. But maybe I'm just old fashioned like that.

I think a lot of it also has to do with the fact that when poetry was popular written word was the main way people entertained themselves and was pretty much the only way to distribute words. Ever since recorded music got super easy to distribute I think poetry died. Sure, people could listen to poetry but music is more fun for most people, more easily accessible.

Reading music is pretty hard so back in the day it was easier to just write the rhyming stuff as poetry.

I dunno but I think it's a combination of these things that's made poetry unpopular nowadays. It seems like there is the potential for it to come back though. All you have to do is get people to share it online.

I think the appeal of contemporary, non-traditional poetry is that it breaks with convention. It's not really my thing either, but I like the idea of breaking the rules. Some contemporary poetry, though, just comes off as word salad without any coherence, and I just don't get it. Also, a lot of contemporary poets seem averse to using any punctuation whatsoever, which I also don't get.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
We sent all our poets into space and they never returned.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I could just rhyme frenulum with frenulum and claim it's modern.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I think the appeal of contemporary, non-traditional poetry is that it breaks with convention. It's not really my thing either, but I like the idea of breaking the rules. Some contemporary poetry, though, just comes off as word salad without any coherence, and I just don't get it. Also, a lot of contemporary poets seem averse to using any punctuation whatsoever, which I also don't get.

See but at this point random non rhyming verse IS conventional. I think it makes it boring and just.. I don't know how to describe it, unsettling? to listen to/read. Like it feels out of sync. Maybe it has to do with me being pretty musical/rhythmic in general. Maybe if I heard the original authors reading their poetry I would like it more. But I feel like successful poetry should be able to be enjoyed just reading it yourself. I dunno I ain't know poo poo about gently caress when it comes to poetry, maybe some poetry enjoying goon will come along and enlighten me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
because they're talentless dilettantes among many other reasons op

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mostly only read old longform poetry, like historical national epics etc. Quite a lot of that is just literal translation and a hard slog, they don't even bother with attempting meter. Some is well done though, rewriting done by actual poets adjusting things slightly to fit the original rhyme scheme. I find it works better read out loud, or at least read silently to yourself as though it was out loud. That way you normally find a rhythm that makes sense and it becomes a lot easier to follow the content. Much slower to read though.

Never really got into shorter form stuff. I think that a lot of it is more fun to write than read.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Chinatown posted:

the smartphone exists now OP

modern intercontinental airliner travel exists OP

internet clout now exists OP

FUK U OP!

:haibrower:

Traveling up until the 1960s or so was a monstrously huge pain in the rear end / somewhat dangerous. Plus there was no internet.

Nowadays rich intellectuals can be chauffeured easily and quickly anywhere on the planet, and basically have the sum of human knowledge at their fingertips. I don't think anyone could generate enough friction in that life to create meaningful content.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Dixville posted:

See but at this point random non rhyming verse IS conventional. I think it makes it boring and just.. I don't know how to describe it, unsettling? to listen to/read. Like it feels out of sync. Maybe it has to do with me being pretty musical/rhythmic in general. Maybe if I heard the original authors reading their poetry I would like it more. But I feel like successful poetry should be able to be enjoyed just reading it yourself. I dunno I ain't know poo poo about gently caress when it comes to poetry, maybe some poetry enjoying goon will come along and enlighten me.

I'm such a goon and you basically have it right. Good verse has a rhythm to it, it's not just prose cut up with arbitrary line breaks.

Like this is a pretty good poem imo by a guy mostly known for his prose:

Woke up early this morning and from my bed
looked far across the straight to see
a small boat moving through the choppy water,
a single running light on. Remembered
my friend who used to shout
his dead wife’s name from hilltops
around Perugia. Who set a plate
for her at his simple table long after
she was gone. And opened the windows
so she could have fresh air. Such display
I found embarrassing. So did his other
friends. I couldn’t see it.
Not until this morning.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Traveling up until the 1960s or so was a monstrously huge pain in the rear end / somewhat dangerous. Plus there was no internet.

Nowadays rich intellectuals can be chauffeured easily and quickly anywhere on the planet, and basically have the sum of human knowledge at their fingertips. I don't think anyone could generate enough friction in that life to create meaningful content.

I dunno, easy transport should make the life of leisure even more leisurely, they should write poetry on the plane but they don’t cause they want to appear like they work hard or something. The 1800s guy on the other hand is doth verilying his way into someone’s britches via dope rear end rhymes

dk2m
May 6, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm such a goon and you basically have it right. Good verse has a rhythm to it, it's not just prose cut up with arbitrary line breaks.

Like this is a pretty good poem imo by a guy mostly known for his prose:

Woke up early this morning and from my bed
looked far across the straight to see
a small boat moving through the choppy water,
a single running light on. Remembered
my friend who used to shout
his dead wife’s name from hilltops
around Perugia. Who set a plate
for her at his simple table long after
she was gone. And opened the windows
so she could have fresh air. Such display
I found embarrassing. So did his other
friends. I couldn’t see it.
Not until this morning.

Hell yeah this is a good one

naem
May 29, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

being Rich used to mean putting on a tux and hanging out in your “sitting room” and burning an extra candle or two so you can pen words onto paper even after it is dark outside (no one else was literate)

being Rich meant you could eat meat almost every day or put an extra log on the fire in the winter, or you owned more than two suits of clothing and could wash one in between wearing

owning a horse was still a pretty big deal even when that was the only form of transportation

everyone else on earth was out threshing wheat or shoveling hog poo poo or digging wells for village children to fall into

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
because bad things used to happen to rich people.
nowadays modern medicine keeps those incestual traits not as deadly and wives can be imported for cheap. less reason to mope around your mansion feeling melancholy when there's a model from ukraine bouncing on your crooked dick thanks to implants and pills and plane tickets.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
How much poetry do we really even need, OP? There must already be a million existing poems for any given situation, they've been written for like 6,000 years! Rich people are smart enough to know that we're done and we don't need to clutter our countrysides with unnecessary poetry.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

Man, rich people used to at least patronize the arts, commission paintings and sculptures and poo poo. And it's not like rich people were nicer in Renaissance Italy, it was the Medicis and Borgias and other fuckers who were constantly poisoning each other and throwing orgies in the Vatican. But back then they sponsored the likes of Michelangelo and Raphael and other Ninja Turtles. Nowadays they throw their fortunes at Ben loving Shapiro to make whiny-voiced internet videos.

I mean the Sacklers were giving money to the arts but people got mad about that for some reason :shrug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Blame it on the CBT like that one weird goon

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Colonel Cancer posted:

Blame it on the CBT like that one weird goon

I don't think you can realistically blame something this widespread on a single activity. Nothing has that kind of impact, not even hardcore BDSM.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I rubbed preperation H on my nuts,
just to feel something real for once,
I open my phone and stare at butts,
Just to feel something real for once,
I am a scumbag,
I wash condoms and reuse them.
the hookers don't mind,

the end

I call it 'A tribute to the modern aristocrat in these troubling times of economic uncertainty and geopolitical devestation"

Karol-Man
May 14, 2022

by Fritz the Horse

dk2m posted:

Back in the day, if you were some rich aristocrat fuckoo, you'd spend your days writing poetry and philsophy, and boasting about living a leisurely life where you can spend your time on higher pursuits. but now, our rich people dont do poo poo like that, they post sigma grind-set videos on instagram and spend their time trying to make even more money

where are the rich people and their home built laboratories, trying to invent little clouds for their gardens or something. what happened to the dudes who would get ridiculously good at painting so they could woo the rich girl in the next town over and in the process, start a new visual narrative movement. instead of trying to live as easily as possible and doing dumb art things, they all now wake up at 4am to take a cold shower and spend their day trying to diversify their portfolio. bunk

poetrys dead

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Poems are gay

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Well if it's dead and gay i guess the forums are a form of poetry! Least i think that's how that works

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

:emptyquote:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
poetry was destroyed by the CIA via Bob Dylan you big bitch

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Dixville posted:

Well if it's dead and gay i guess the forums are a form of poetry! Least i think that's how that works

cuck cuck gay
it's like poetry
it rhymes

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My old housemate was *very* into poetry. He read out one of his poems at once stage, started wringing his wrists (literally, like who does that?) and said he felt it was too pretentious and not sincere enough. Apparently "yeah, it is way too pretentious" is the wrong answer cause he got huffy and told me he's been published in local zines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Modern rich people have no thoughts, only reactions to stimuli. Its science