Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Every once in a while I'll see a poem someone shares on social media that I think is contemporary (I've never been much into poetry so it could be old and I've just never seen it). I think it's always been free-form type with weird spacing and not rhyming which is like, cool and all but I feel like the rhyming and structure was what made poetry interesting and seem like it takes talent. Like here's some contemporary poetry off a quick Google

TOMMY PICO posted:

“I thot falling in love was a burden A kind of / crowding on my landscape Love creates space, dummy Doesn’t / take it up
Like anybody can write words and put random non rhythmic spacing in it. What I think of as good poetry usually has had rhyming and/or meter to it. But maybe I'm just old fashioned like that.

I think a lot of it also has to do with the fact that when poetry was popular written word was the main way people entertained themselves and was pretty much the only way to distribute words. Ever since recorded music got super easy to distribute I think poetry died. Sure, people could listen to poetry but music is more fun for most people, more easily accessible.

Reading music is pretty hard so back in the day it was easier to just write the rhyming stuff as poetry.

I dunno but I think it's a combination of these things that's made poetry unpopular nowadays. It seems like there is the potential for it to come back though. All you have to do is get people to share it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I think the appeal of contemporary, non-traditional poetry is that it breaks with convention. It's not really my thing either, but I like the idea of breaking the rules. Some contemporary poetry, though, just comes off as word salad without any coherence, and I just don't get it. Also, a lot of contemporary poets seem averse to using any punctuation whatsoever, which I also don't get.

See but at this point random non rhyming verse IS conventional. I think it makes it boring and just.. I don't know how to describe it, unsettling? to listen to/read. Like it feels out of sync. Maybe it has to do with me being pretty musical/rhythmic in general. Maybe if I heard the original authors reading their poetry I would like it more. But I feel like successful poetry should be able to be enjoyed just reading it yourself. I dunno I ain't know poo poo about gently caress when it comes to poetry, maybe some poetry enjoying goon will come along and enlighten me.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Well if it's dead and gay i guess the forums are a form of poetry! Least i think that's how that works