Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thufir posted:

I wonder if at some point the NHL just says “gently caress it we don’t care about KHL contracts”? The previous transfer agreement comes from a time when the KHL looked more powerful but I doubt they are currently much of a threat to poach significant NHL players or will be any time soon. There’s probably some trade law and/or IIHF concerns but idk, what better time to shiv a rival than when they’re widely considered an international pariah?

My guess is that Gary Bettman has an allergy to polonium and would like to keep it away from his tea and doorknobs so they will continue to honour the agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'm surprised Ethan Bear apparently was not extended a qualifying offer to play for the Canucks next season.. Is he more injured than I realize? I thought he was very good for Vancouver pretty much from the time he joined the team. Bear is the kind of player I think Dallas should leap to sign if he is available, too bad our blueline is already full up with Jani Hakanpaas and Colin Millers :(

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

I'm surprised Ethan Bear apparently was not extended a qualifying offer to play for the Canucks next season.. Is he more injured than I realize? I thought he was very good for Vancouver pretty much from the time he joined the team. Bear is the kind of player I think Dallas should leap to sign if he is available, too bad our blueline is already full up with Jani Hakanpaas and Colin Millers :(

He's out six months at least and he was due a $2.8m qo. Word is they'll still try to resign him. Ultimately he's a bottom pairing guy and you shouldn't worry about him too much. He's fine but does nothing well.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Sounds like it’s happening:

https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1674854225577140228?s=20

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ah yes the final piece

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

I will not root for Jonathan Quick. He'd better be cheap and a 1 year deal.

E:

https://twitter.com/ColinSNewsday/status/1674856649704759296

Hajek is gone lmao

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 30, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

Because then the KHL will respond by refusing to let any Russian nationals go from the KHL to the NHL and would probably demand a bunch of Russian players come home. Bye bye Ovie goals record.

You don't need a transfer agreement for players to transfer. The NHL had no agreement with the Swiss league until 2020 and may have let it lapse. Sweden is apparently unhappy with the low transfer fees in the SHL agreement but what are they going to do about it? If they cancel it, they get nothing instead. The only real threat is to pay competitive salaries and really only the KHL and Swiss NL do.

Without an agreement, the KHL would have no way to stop players from leaving. They could force players to buy out their contracts, sure. Of course the national government has its ways of keeping players at home (hello, Ivan Fedotov) but that's not quite the same thing.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 30, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Vancouver isn't qualifying Ethan Bear. Given this was rumoured for days, it's not that big a surprise but I'm concerned what they're gonna do with the cap space.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

You don't need a transfer agreement for players to transfer.

Of course not, the NHL and KHL haven't had a transfer agreement in 15 years. They just agreed to honour each other's salaries. The moment the NHL goes back on that, the KHL will too. I doubt Ovie or Kaprizov would say no to a $20m a year salary. They also have the ability to block player transfers in other ways. They forcibly enlisted Fedotov instead of letting him go the Flyers. They'll make russian players choose between the NHL and not coming home or the KHL and seeing their families. It's not a road the NHL wants to walk down.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Vancouver isn't qualifying Ethan Bear. Given this was rumoured for days, it's not that big a surprise but I'm concerned what they're gonna do with the cap space.

There was never any sense in qualifying him. He's out six months and doesn't contribute much. I imagine he'll still sign with them and if not, no big loss.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

Of course not, the NHL and KHL haven't had a transfer agreement in 15 years. They just agreed to honour each other's salaries. The moment the NHL goes back on that, the KHL will too. I doubt Ovie or Kaprizov would say no to a $20m a year salary. They also have the ability to block player transfers in other ways. They forcibly enlisted Fedotov instead of letting him go the Flyers. They'll make russian players choose between the NHL and not coming home or the KHL and seeing their families. It's not a road the NHL wants to walk down.

I mean... if Ovi or Kaprizov had $20M offers and wanted to play in the KHL, nothing was really stopping them from doing so once their contracts expire(d)? They're presumably staying in the NHL for a reason.

But for Michkov, if he decided to come to training camp next year and never return, consequences be damned, I'm not sure the NHL would refuse to let him sign his ELC or play. It's more that there shouldn't be much incentive for him to do so, except apparently he signed a very stupid contract and is owed 15M/25M/30M rubles for the next 3 years, which is 170/280/335k USD at today's exchange rates so uh yeah he got played and/or his agent was very stupid.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

I mean... if Ovi or Kaprizov had $20M offers and wanted to play in the KHL, nothing was really stopping them from doing so once their contracts expire(d)? They're presumably staying in the NHL for a reason.

Probably because the KHL didn't see fit to start a conflict with the NHL for seemingly no benefit to them. Why would the NHL do the same exclusively to help the Flyers sign one guy?

eXXon posted:

apparently he signed a very stupid contract and is owed 15M/25M/30M rubles for the next 3 years, which is 170/280/335k USD at today's exchange rates so uh yeah he got played and/or his agent was very stupid.

Yeah and his dad was murdered for no obvious reason at all. There was coercion involved in that contract. I don't think the KHL would just throw up their hands and say "fine whatever" if he decided to skip out on it all of a sudden. We're dealing a country that has recently dropped all pretense of caring what anyone else thinks about them.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 30, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/nhlupdate/status/1674891436976902144?s=20

I would imagine Fitzgerald wants to sign them anyway at a lower cost than their QO's. McLeod and Boqvist in particular should not be let go for nothing, those are two solid 4th line players.

And yep

https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1674891012840345607?s=20

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

fawning deference posted:

https://twitter.com/nhlupdate/status/1674891436976902144?s=20

I would imagine Fitzgerald wants to sign them anyway at a lower cost than their QO's. McLeod and Boqvist in particular should not be let go for nothing, those are two solid 4th line players.

Mcleod and Comtois in Anaheim both not qualified, wonder if it’s 2017 WJC-related and if they’ll ever release the findings of the investigation

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Dirty Burger posted:

Mcleod and Comtois in Anaheim both not qualified, wonder if it’s 2017 WJC-related and if they’ll ever release the findings of the investigation

McLeod not being qualified has absolutely nothing to do with that. He wasn't qualified along with noteworthy young contributors like Boqvist. Reporters are all saying Fitzgerald wants them back and didn't qualify them because now he can sign them at a less expensive price.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Twitter picked a great day to make it impossible to read their site without an account. Didn't twitter links used to embed so you didn't have to click over? Mine definitely aren't showing

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 30, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

They still do embed on the forums.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DannyShireyPGH/status/1674895357715644417?s=20

https://twitter.com/DannyShireyPGH/status/1674894728611938309?s=20

Interesting the Pens let Poehling go. I thought he played fairly well. The health issue Danny cited must be a real concern.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah I thought Poehling was good toobut that's probably because I only remember that he had a hat trick in like his second game or whatever

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hill just signed for 2 more years with Vegas, so that probably seals this.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like NYR should sign a young guy as a backup and let Allaire (however it’s spelled) work his magic and then flip that guy like they did with Georgiev.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1674891724802387970

No complaints here except Bode Wilde and Blade Jenkins are two amazing hockey player names that shouldn't go to waste

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1674885693397512192?t=Xv-IumKdxcFAIuG-nS36CA&s=19

Good to see a couple guys who got much more time with the big Club than expected because everybody died get rewarded.

Bjork is the guy the SHL beat writer never thought in a million years would get to the NHL and stick.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Yeah, no room for Yamamoto on the roster, the point of the trade was to get Kostin. Which is not a signing I really understand, but whatever. It does sound like he's definitely not going to the KHL.

Detroit is treading water and will be 7th in the Atlantic once again, and something is going to have to change. But I think Ottawa is shooting their shot too soon and will just be stuck in mediocrity. Not enough in the pipeline but not a good enough core. Detroit is looking to have four lines worth of middle six talent and just needs to be able to make a couple splashy acquisitions.

i maintain that signing copp/chiarot/kubalik last off season was a bad idea. getting into the top 5 this year would have been enormously helpful. danielson as a best case scenario is like a solid 2c and the main problem detroit has is its utter lack of a #1 center

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like NYR should sign a young guy as a backup and let Allaire (however it’s spelled) work his magic and then flip that guy like they did with Georgiev.

They've got Spicy Pork and Broccoli down in Hartford. And he played well last season too.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Signing Chiarot helps significantly getting closer to a top 5 though....

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Signing Chiarot helps significantly getting closer to a top 5 though....

As much as it sounds like nonsense if signing chiarot and the like helped the junior red wings develop a good accountability/team culture instead of turning into edmonton south or some poo poo like that, that's also worthwhile even if it hurts the draft chances. you don't want to end up like edmonton was for awhile, all the #1 picks and doing poo poo all nothing with them.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

grack posted:

I think he will end up signing for a fairly cheap price with Vancouver anyway, he’s out till December, in addition to the injury delaying his return, it wouldn’t surprise me that given he hurt himself playing international comp, he might get low balled a bit. Send a message re the risks of playing for your country.

Edit: as an aside Bear would be insane to go elsewhere (from a future contract point of view, leaving the chaos might be worth the pay cut), no other team is going to partner him with someone as good as Hughes.

VOTE1 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 1, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I thought Poehling was good toobut that's probably because I only remember that he had a hat trick in like his second game or whatever

He's nothing special really but as a young fast player with moderate two-way ability you'd think the Pens would have wanted to keep him. I doubt they feared an arbitration case so my guess is his health issues are a big concern.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jannmark sticks with Oilers for 1x1.

Thumbs up

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Arivia posted:

As much as it sounds like nonsense if signing chiarot and the like helped the junior red wings develop a good accountability/team culture instead of turning into edmonton south or some poo poo like that, that's also worthwhile even if it hurts the draft chances. you don't want to end up like edmonton was for awhile, all the #1 picks and doing poo poo all nothing with them.

i dunno, the team was essentially told that the way they performed in a 2 game back to back with ottawa would determine if they would go all in for the playoffs or sell, and proceeded to play the worst two games all season

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NHL_Watcher/status/1674894127631065088?t=x6OigfAupYNyuI5zOAnR3w&s=19

I have so many questions.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It just means he wasn't going to sign with Arizona or any of the Canadian frozen wasteland teams.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr. Fish posted:

No complaints here except Bode Wilde and Blade Jenkins are two amazing hockey player names that shouldn't go to waste

https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1441075328152227843

Bode forgot to actually be good before outing himself as a dumbass antivaxxer, such a shame.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

WeaponX posted:

Buyouts, buyouts for everyone! (Please do Goodrow next)

OldSenileGuy posted:

So the rangers are officially NOT buying out Goodrow. Which means they’re basically running back the same roster AND going to bridge K’Andre, which will hurt them in the long run

So far there’s not a lot to like about the Chris Drury regime

I don't get the clamoring for a Goodrow buyout. He's a bit overpaid for a role player, but he's also been asked to step up into bigger roles and has put up his two best years with NYR, and he's one of the few guys on the team who always battles - something sorely lacking from most of the team in the playoffs last year. Buying him out gives them a negligible cap credit for the next two years to go spend on someone you hope is the next slightly-cheaper Goodrow, then they're paying 1m+ until 2031, with a 3.5m cap hit in four years. It would be a terrible, shortsighted move to make room to spend in the worst UFA market in recent memory.

Those signings would also be made by the same GM who signed Goodrow to a six-year contract two years ago. That summer he also signed Patrik Nemeth, who they gave Arizona their 2025 and 2026 2nds to play for a year then buy out because he's too bad to play on the Coyotes.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1674921878400409601?s=20

Leafs

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I have no idea if it happens, but if Columbus could pluck Duchene out of the Bargain Bin for a couple years to allow Fantilli more time to adjust to the league in a lesser role or slide Jenner over to the wing, I wouldn't be against it.

Duchene and Bread had quite a bit of chemistry in their short time together, which could be intriguing alongside Laine or Johnny.

E- I can think of two occasions at least where Duchene made a nice move along the far wall and rifled a cross-ice pass for Panarin to rifle home.

Stick him with Patty and let him sock dingers.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duchene's gonna be cup chasing, taking some stupidly small 1 year contract for the Bolts or something

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I dunno he just found out he is getting paid 12 million not to play (2/3rds of 20mil), and given how bad the FA class is he’s still close to the top available. Time to make bank off some dumb GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ah, I believe they call that maneuver "The Lecavalier"