Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1441075328152227843

Bode forgot to actually be good before outing himself as a dumbass antivaxxer, such a shame.

How dare you infringe on his human right to play in the national hockey league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Seattle didn't qualify Sprong? Wasn't he pretty good this year?

Feels like a good pickup if he's relatively cheap for the Rangers with the RW situation

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I would be very surprised if Dubas does any big stupid signings this offseason. During his entire tenure in Toronto I think he gave just two long-term contracts to guys who hadn't already played for the Leafs (Tavares for 7 years and Brody for 4). He's more likely to do too little than too much imo.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

I would be very surprised if Dubas does any big stupid signings this offseason. During his entire tenure in Toronto I think he gave just two long-term contracts to guys who hadn't already played for the Leafs (Tavares for 7 years and Brody for 4). He's more likely to do too little than too much imo.

Are there any actual examples of teams that stood still during FA actually regretting it 10 months later? Maybe Colorado last off season not getting a proper 2c? But even then they could have fixed that at trade deadline.

Clearly far more likely to result in shooting yourself in the foot. I pray the Canucks one is just a flesh wound.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Feels like a good pickup if he's relatively cheap for the Rangers with the RW situation

He'd have gotten 3+ in arbitration and he played on the 4th line.

Why they refused to play him higher? Hakstol

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

You're starting to see teams fully appreciate the value of cap space. If a depth player's contribution is less than their qualifying offer, there's no point in retaining them. You don't want to overpay for depth, particularly wingers. So a lot of guys who would be RFAs who were decent are being allowed to hit UFA status to save teams a few hundred thousand bucks. It's heartless but long overdue from a team building perspective.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

lol never mind we already have Goodrow.

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1674941990826287105?s=61&t=kkZpWh0cuOguRMpDObNb7g

Go back to bed Vince, youre drunk. No to all three of them.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lol all 3 of those guys are cooked

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

Yeah, his FA MO is more sign 8 guys at cheap prices for 4 spots and who cares if some of them suck.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

How quickly you forget Calle Jankrok

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I would love for the Rangers to reunite with all of those players, especially Marc Staal

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1674811144425603075

:lol: Preds.

Matt Zerella posted:

lol never mind we already have Goodrow.

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1674941990826287105?s=61&t=kkZpWh0cuOguRMpDObNb7g

Go back to bed Vince, youre drunk. No to all three of them.

Doesn't the "vet minimum" refer to warm bodies on PTOs for preseason games? One of the CBJ writers late this season noted they were skating rosters that "wouldn't be legal in the preseason".

RJ Umberger with the Stars, Jarret Stoll with Columbus, etc.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Folks, lecavalier was extremely cool and handsome. Moreso than you. Probably. Just a reminder.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

How quickly you forget Calle Jankrok

$2.1 isn't great, but if that's his biggest overpay, it's not evidence of someone likely to pay stupid money for mid range guys. He's a stars and scrubs guy, at least with forwards.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jarnkrok also just had the best season of his career and scored 20 goals for that $2 million so...

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

My read has been that the fact Tolvanen produced after the waver claim, and he's signed for another year, he effectively took Sprongs spot. Sprong was a nice surprise last year but id take Tolvanen at $1.4 mil over whatever Sprongs QO would be.

Gotta save all that cap space to throw at Vince Dunn. 😑

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

T-minus ~14 hours until Tom Wilson signs his 8 x $8 million extension. Such gross mismanagement of an incredibly valuable trade chip

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
pagnotta is saying he anticipates the leafs will sign ryan reaves to a multi-year deal to which i say: lmao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm excited for the frenzy though I prefer when it comes on a weekday
it helps pass the time

feels a bit wasted on an already fine saturday

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

want him to come back to vegas :sigh:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

:sigh: if only Washington offered Toronto Tom Wilson in a trade. The return would be outrageous

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1674972970006065154
:mrgw:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Expecting a buyout after the first year of the deal

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

:sigh: if only Washington offered Toronto Tom Wilson in a trade. The return would be outrageous

I’m very sad he is still going to be an overpaid Capital tomorrow.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ThinkTank posted:

You're starting to see teams fully appreciate the value of cap space. If a depth player's contribution is less than their qualifying offer, there's no point in retaining them. You don't want to overpay for depth, particularly wingers. So a lot of guys who would be RFAs who were decent are being allowed to hit UFA status to save teams a few hundred thousand bucks. It's heartless but long overdue from a team building perspective.

Sprong scored 46 points of which 32 were EV playing 11:30 a night. He was making $750k on a 1 year deal. His QO was gently caress all and he contributed at above 3 points per 60 (5v5) which is like obscenely good. Regardless of roster status. Was it unsustainable? For sure. But his QO was league minimum and he produced a ridiculous amount. From a team building perspective letting Sprong walk is stupid as hell.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
None of this matters. It's all meaningless.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

welcome back to the poorly run canadian clubs club, toronto

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

.Spec posted:

My read has been that the fact Tolvanen produced after the waver claim, and he's signed for another year, he effectively took Sprongs spot. Sprong was a nice surprise last year but id take Tolvanen at $1.4 mil over whatever Sprongs QO would be.

Gotta save all that cap space to throw at Vince Dunn. 😑

Sprong had to come in on a PTO last preseason too. He can’t play anything related to defense, and as soon as his shooting falls off the cliff he’d be worthless. Much like Vince Dunn when he loses a step in his speed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fancy stats posted:

welcome back to the poorly run canadian clubs club, toronto

Back?

But anyway I'm going to make some angry posts to ward this off.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Drury sign the Sprong. For cheap. It's a fun name to say and you need a RW badly.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I will take the Sprong, and I’d also take Stepan on a minimum deal to be 4C.

Soft no to Brassard (maybe as 13F?) and BIG no to Staal

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
so the Red Wings traded for Yamamoto and Kostin in exchange for "future considerations", bought out Yamamoto and didn't extend a qualifying offer to Kostin so he's now a UFA

Is Steve Yzerman on loving crack? what explains this idiocy?

**I guess I should reserve my judgement, the future considerations might be something like Detroit trades Ben Chiarot to Edmonton to complete the trade at the deadline or something like that... still barring some huge reveal of some unpredicted element of this trade this is one of the more bewildering things that I've seen happen.. almost like (as some on twitter have suggested) Yzerman is doing Ken Holland a favor out of friendship.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Escape Goat posted:

Expecting a buyout after the first year of the deal

There is no risk of ever having to buy out Ryan Reaves. Another team will always want him.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The Leafs are doing a great job at doing things that I absolutely hate.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

so the Red Wings traded for Yamamoto and Kostin in exchange for "future considerations", bought out Yamamoto and didn't extend a qualifying offer to Kostin so he's now a UFA

Is Steve Yzerman on loving crack? what explains this idiocy?

**I guess I should reserve my judgement, the future considerations might be something like Detroit trades Ben Chiarot to Edmonton to complete the trade at the deadline or something like that... still barring some huge reveal of some unpredicted element of this trade this is one of the more bewildering things that I've seen happen.. almost like (as some on twitter have suggested) Yzerman is doing Ken Holland a favor out of friendship.
Gotta preserve that 30 million in cap space

pseudodragon posted:

$2.1 isn't great, but if that's his biggest overpay, it's not evidence of someone likely to pay stupid money for mid range guys. He's a stars and scrubs guy, at least with forwards.

That signing was fine i just meant he'd given him a long deal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm excited for the frenzy though I prefer when it comes on a weekday
it helps pass the time

feels a bit wasted on an already fine saturday

It's always a holiday for us Canadians as it falls on Canada Day.

I am driving five hours to go to a wedding so I'm gonna miss the Canucks doing the stupidity I have been waiting for. Sad.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
36 year old Ryan Reaves getting a 2-year deal, how are GMs still doing this lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/DetroitRedWings/status/1675121277390946304

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1675125340400648193

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

The Dirty Burger posted:

you're mistaken. it's actually a three-year deal

e: f;b