Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Isentropy posted:

Salut

We got the best season we could I think. Young players show promise and the vibes are still decent.

I'd have preferred if every promising young player not named Nick Suzuki didn't get injured this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens are a loser team

I don't see em on the list. Get lost ya cup holders.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/nhlcoachesassoc/status/1643272841926770691?s=61&t=n1bskK9BkwkpKlLVM3W41A

so this is neat

E: Torts has been watching the last few games from the press box and has largely just let the assistants do bench coach duties while they call up the kids

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
How tf did I not know Craig Berube is Cree

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/nhlcoachesassoc/status/1643272841926770691?s=61&t=n1bskK9BkwkpKlLVM3W41A

so this is neat

E: Torts has been watching the last few games from the press box and has largely just let the assistants do bench coach duties while they call up the kids

No one quits on a team quite like Torts

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

NHL Loser Thread 2023: No one quits on a team quite like Torts

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What was the Blue Jackets plan this year? They signed Gaudreau and spent big in the summer yet ended up with a goal differential of -100. If it was to improve, Jarmo is doing a pretty terrible job of it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

What was the Blue Jackets plan this year? They signed Gaudreau and spent big in the summer yet ended up with a goal differential of -100. If it was to improve, Jarmo is doing a pretty terrible job of it.

Probably not having pretty much every player on the team miss significant time would help.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah they weren’t quite Montreal levels of man games lost to injury but they were way up there

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Zack Werenski is the only positive xG defenseman on their entire team. So I'd probably start at Gudbranson and uh go from there.

Anyways I'm just going to peak the digs. Maybe grab a couch and put my feet up on the coffee table for a bit.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Speaking of the Jackets I was at the game tonight and who, exactly, is Eric Robinson? I'd seen their AHL team play this year and there were still a half dozen names I didn't recognize.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Speaking of the Jackets I was at the game tonight and who, exactly, is Eric Robinson? I'd seen their AHL team play this year and there were still a half dozen names I didn't recognize.

Amazingly enough he's a guy who's been around for years. He's an okay 3rd liner on the Jackets so would likely be a 4th liner anywhere else. He has the name of a hokey stand up comedian and not a pro athlete so he gets immediately deleted from your consciousness after you see him.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Winning the division and a round in the playoffs last year felt weird... Back to being completely mediocre and missing the playoffs feels more familiar... Like a warm hug, this is where Flames fans belong.

..... Probably for the next 6 to 7 years.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

Winning the division and a round in the playoffs last year felt weird... Back to being completely mediocre and missing the playoffs feels more familiar... Like a warm hug, this is where Flames fans belong.

..... Probably for the next 6 to 7 years.

I am so very curious as to what the Flames are going to do in the offseason. They are almost locked into trying to make that roster work but goddamn its old and there just isn't a difference maker on it. League average goaltending would have at least got them to the playoffs to get smoked though.

Are they run well enough to get a forward thinking GM and let him cook? Or are they gonna hire Chiarelli.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Feels absolutely bizarre that the Capitals are out of the playoffs.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Taking a very "I WANT TO BELIEVE" approach to Morgan Frost

https://theathletic.com/4359413/2023/03/29/flyers-morgan-frost-john-tortorella/?access_token=65682

quote:

Frost has seven points in his last five games. His 24 points over his last 36 games — since the start of 2023 — leads the Flyers. And it goes beyond points. Philadelphia controlled 74.44 percent of the expected goals at five-on-five on Tuesday with Frost on the ice; a team-high mark. And that wasn’t a one-game anomaly, either. During the month of March, Frost has posted a 59.44 percent xG share across 12 games, an undeniably stellar rate that trails only Tippett among Flyers forwards over that span.

I definitely felt he was doing better just by passing the eye test, but it's cool to see the underlying metrics supporting that as well

Also more lol Fletcher

quote:

One factor that could help him in that regard, however? He just might now have a big-time backer in charge of the Flyers’ front office.

Frost and interim GM Daniel Briere have long been close. The stylistic similarities in their respective games — both were and are undersized, offensively oriented centers with flashy, playmaking skills — made the partnership logical, and they chatted regularly as Briere integrated himself back into the organization as a consultant and front-office adviser. Frost even wears Briere’s No. 48, which first was randomly assigned to him but he chose to keep in large part because of his respect for Briere and that Briere himself encouraged it.

It’s not that former GM Chuck Fletcher didn’t like Frost. But Frost’s relationship with Briere is stronger and more personal. Frost said as much on Tuesday, even while dismissing the idea that it would play a role in Briere’s decision regarding Frost’s future with the club.

“I don’t think (it’s) really based on that,” Frost contended. “I mean, obviously I kind of talked to Danny a lot before. But it is a business, and now that he’s in that position, I think friendships — or whatever you want to call them, relationships — kind of go out the window a little bit.”

Consider me skeptical.

For starters, take Tortorella’s comments on Frost last Friday, just two weeks after Briere took over as interim GM. It’s not just that they were kinder to Frost than Torts’ norm. It’s the way he positioned them — that Tortorella was trying to account for the opinions of others in the organization when it came to Frost, and that he was making a conscious effort to be more patient with him.

“Judging from what everybody’s told me, it’s night and day, what he’s doing right now from where he was two years ago,” Tortorella said. “That makes me want to keep watching and see if he can (keep going). Because he has improved. I think he’s improved from the start of this year to now. Everybody’s told me from the year before, it’s crazy how different (he is). So I’m just gonna keep on watching and see where we’re at the end of the year.”

Sure, “everyone” doesn’t necessarily mean “Danny Briere” specifically. But the timing of Tortorella’s newfound patience sure does seem to line up nicely.

“I want to be fair with him,” he continued. “I don’t want to overthink it either, if I can put it that way. I need to be fair to him. He drove me crazy early in the year with some of his habits and he’s corrected those. I just want more time. I just want a clearer picture as we play these next 10, 11 games.”

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Hello darkness my old friend...

Sabres have joined the loser party one day later than normal after securing a regulation loss to the Florida Panthers last night.

We're on the right path, we're gonna be so good in 2-3 years.... I say for the 12th consecutive year. But it actually feels real this time.

Borderline playoff team while icing the youngest roster, and also the oldest individual player, while $5million under the cap without the Bishop contract? Unbelievable amounts of potential. Now Kevyn Adams just needs to spend some of that league leading cap space to fill in the right veterans around his core and this team could do some real damage.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Hand Knit posted:

he's a 4th liner who is really really fast but misses 100% of the breakaway attempts he generates from being really really fast. he's been a 4th line staple for a few years so that's probably why you didn't recognize him compared to the 10 ahl guys i've never heard of that played last night

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Feels absolutely bizarre that the Capitals are out of the playoffs.

Honestly this is preferable to another first round embarrassment.

Washington generally doesn't make panic moves, but I have to imagine they will have a very active offseason. If they are true to what they said to Ovechkin that they won't rebuild until he is gone and will always try to make the playoffs while he is around, then I wouldn't be shocked to see them move their first round pick this year (unless they win the lottery of course). It wouldn't be the best long-term move to move the #8 or #9 pick but I have to imagine they are looking for a center this offseason and their first round pick could do the trick. Kuznetsov constantly disappoints and Backstrom's career as a top 6 player is pretty much over. I'd honestly be surprised if Kuznetsov is still on the team next year, I feel like the team has had enough of him.

I could also see them trying to move on from a guy like Oshie if there is any market for him. He's been a great player in the past but the last few years he has piled up way too many injuries and I think Washington might be looking to get a bit younger.

And I don't think they'll do it but I also wouldn't be shocked if they traded Wilson. Aside from their first round pick this year they don't really have any other assets of value besides Wilson, so if they really are looking to retool I could see them exploring that option. They'd certainly be better off trading him than re-signing him.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Ovi is going break the record in 2-3 years and play his entire career as a Capital. Anything else is just icing at this point.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

th3t00t posted:

Was it you who toxxed themselves into the Sabres making the playoffs?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No that was Bobman.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Blues and Canucks competing to see who can poo poo their pants the most at loving their draft position, although it looks like Vancouver figured it out the past couple games

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Blues and Canucks competing to see who can poo poo their pants the most at loving their draft position, although it looks like Vancouver figured it out the past couple games

Still plenty of time for them to rise out of the Bedard lottery

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

th3t00t posted:

Sabres have joined the loser party one day later than normal after securing a regulation loss to the Florida Panthers last night.

We're on the right path, we're gonna be so good in 2-3 years.... I say for the 12th consecutive year. But it actually feels real this time.

Borderline playoff team while icing the youngest roster, and also the oldest individual player, while $5million under the cap without the Bishop contract? Unbelievable amounts of potential. Now Kevyn Adams just needs to spend some of that league leading cap space to fill in the right veterans around his core and this team could do some real damage.

I feel like this about the Sens too. They made it competitive until the last few weeks of the season, and did so without their #1 centre for the entire year, and without their #1 goalie for long stretches of the season, including for the entirety of this current slump that wrecked their playoff hopes. They've got their core locked up for the next few years, that core only got better as the year went on, and there's no more obvious boat anchors on D like Zaitsev. Tkachuk and Stutzle both look like legitimate first liners, with Stutzle on pace for ~95 points and 40 goals, and Tkachuk over PPG. Next season's depth chart looks like this:

quote:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
DeBrincat-Norris-Batherson
Joseph-Pinto-Greig
???-Kastelic-???

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Chychrun
Brannstrom-(Hamonic?)

Forsberg
???

I think that in any other division, that lineup is either in the playoffs or comfortably in the wild card race. I think that in the Atlantic (and the East in general), it'll genuinely be a tossup, because there's 4 legitimately good teams in Boston/Tampa/Toronto/Florida, and then another team (Buffalo) in the exact same spot as Ottawa, trying to break in.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I said it before but I really am impressed with how thoughtfully the Capitals have managed the last few months. Sold at the deadline when it was clear that at best they were first round fodder. Re-signed free agents at decent rates that made sense and weren't going to return much at the deadline (Jensen and TVR). And now they are tanking like professionals. They apparently have the third worst record in the NHL since the beginning of 2023. Sucks that they had such a good month of December but hey, at least they are positioning themselves to be in the running for Bedard or Fantilli.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

bub spank posted:

I feel like this about the Sens too. They made it competitive until the last few weeks of the season, and did so without their #1 centre for the entire year, and without their #1 goalie for long stretches of the season, including for the entirety of this current slump that wrecked their playoff hopes. They've got their core locked up for the next few years, that core only got better as the year went on, and there's no more obvious boat anchors on D like Zaitsev. Tkachuk and Stutzle both look like legitimate first liners, with Stutzle on pace for ~95 points and 40 goals, and Tkachuk over PPG. Next season's depth chart looks like this:

I think that in any other division, that lineup is either in the playoffs or comfortably in the wild card race. I think that in the Atlantic (and the East in general), it'll genuinely be a tossup, because there's 4 legitimately good teams in Boston/Tampa/Toronto/Florida, and then another team (Buffalo) in the exact same spot as Ottawa, trying to break in.

I have a really bad feeling they’re gonna try flipping Brannstrom this summer, guy isn’t going to get pp time behind Chabot/Sandy/Chychrun and he legitimately deserves more icetime with the way he’s played this season.

He’ll be cheap to keep on a 2-year deal, and everyone knows Chychrun is gonna miss his token 30+ games a year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/danbickley/status/1643671834574086145

lmfao what are you going to do, yotes

threaten to continue not paying your rent?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Welcome UTAH COYOTES

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Say hello to the Phoenix Blows Coyotes

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThinkTank posted:

Was it you who toxxed themselves into the Sabres making the playoffs?

Hi. They aren’t mathematically eliminated yet but they might as well be after last night’s loss.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Everyone loves Marco Kasper, the shiny new prospect that

https://twitter.com/DetroitRedWings/status/1643673228580200455

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/CraigSMorgan/status/1643706663894130695?s=20

It would be so NHL for the Coyotes to win the draft lottery

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

One weird trick to make your NHL team profitable.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hope they get countersued and driven into even deeper debt

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/CraigSMorgan/status/1643706663894130695?s=20

It would be so NHL for the Coyotes to win the draft lottery

I hope it fails and the vote on the arena fails and the entire organization craters spectacularly

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I hope they win and then sue Something Awful for constant slandering of the Arizona Coyotes.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Way to stand up to those uh bullying bureaucrat Tempe city planners?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Soooooo I started this post earlier on my phone....and it started to get a little out of hand so here's the 2nd crack at it. This is going in the Loser's thread because 1. A huge reason the Penguins will end up here are because of this players play (amongst others) and 2. Another of these idiot teams might be on the one that gives this player a big contract. Boy I hope it isn't my team and yikes if it is yours. With that out of the way lets talk.....Tristan Jarry.

Since the injury and subsequent return Tristan Jarry has been, well, bad. Not exceptionally bad like Spencer Martin or Cam Talbot, but in the next group of 'bad' goaltenders like Martin Jones and Jack Campbell. To quantify this a little bit at 5v5 from his return on January 20th Jarry has posted a .897 sv%, good for 50th of the 70 goalies (300 minutes minimum) and a -5.44 GSAA and -.43 GSAA per 60. On a per 60 basis he's 52nd of 70. Moving to all strength's and Jarry drops to .892 sv% with -5.39 GSAA and -.34 GSAA per 60. His efforts place him at 49th of 74. Whats more Jarry is facing 2.88 expected goals against per 60 in all situations (33rd of 74) and 2.45 xGA per 60 at 5v5 which is 16th best in the league. For comparison Carolina's goalies face the least xGA per 60 with 2.02 and 2.11.

'Well Rex haven't the Pens been giving up tons of goals and playing from behind a lot and well game state does funny things to goalies doesn't it?' you ask. That is a good question and that's where phone posting started this got out of hand. Lets dive in! At 5v5 with 150 minutes of ice time and the game tied Tristan Jarry drops in at 43rd of 59 goalies (against since January 20th return) posting a .902 and -.33 GSAA per 60. xGA per 60 is 20th in this data set. Looking at all strengths and things get even worse! When the game is tied in all situations Tristan Jarry is putting up a diabolical .884 sv% That places him in 52nd position of 63 goalies. His GSAA ranks in at 51st of 63 with -.66 GSAA/60. xGA over this period is 2.8 xGA/60 which ranks 32nd. Adjusting to 'within 1' game state and .895 (50th of 79) and -.23 GSAA/60 (49 of 79) while facing a NHL 15th placed 2.63 xGA/60 in all situations. At 5v5 Jarry's .911 places him in 42nd place of 76. GSAA of -.03 is the same ranking. His xGA/60 is a top 10 in the NHL (9th) of 2.3 xGA/60.

What is impressive is that when the Pens are leading he is even worse. With any lead Jarry is posting a .898 sv% at 5v5 (38 of 54) and -.55 GSAA (39 of 54)....only 2.55 xGA (17 of 54). All strength sees a slight improvement to 35th of 59 and a questionable .901. GSAA drops in with -.16 and the same 35th place of 59 other goalies. When trailing it's the same story. Lower/middle of the pack. xGA against though is 15th and 16th of roughly 60 other goalies. When up 1...well I had to adjust the time. Since his return Jarry has only been 'up 1' for 116 minutes of ice time. That might be because he's posting an .879 sv% and -1.04 GSAA per 60 which places him in 38 of 44 at 5v5. All strengths somehow gets worse! .866 sv% good for 45 of 52. GSAA is -1.2 which is also 44th of 52. xGA all situation is 2.97 (18 of 52) and 2.35 xGA/60 at 5v5 (9th of 44).

And now for something weird. Which if you've made it this far thank you and congrats. When down 1 goal Tristan Jarry is the 5th best goaltender at 5v5 with a .951 sv%. The 1.18 GSAA/60 is good for 6th best. Funnier still the xGA/60 is 4th best in the NHL. These same numbers repeat themselves at all strengths. .944 sv% and +1.27 GSAA/60 good for 5th and 7th out of 50 some odd goalies. The 2.05 xGA/60 ranks 6th.

So what's the tl'dr Rex? Well it is that Tristan Jarry has been absolutely awful and bottom 3rd goaltender in the league since his return on January 20th. I've already looked at too much spreadsheets and forget what his early season stuff was, but I want to say up and down with mostly positive results. Unfortunately he either is still broken and playing through it/'the team' is pressuring and using modern medicine (toradol injections) to try and get some kind of performances. What is clear though is that since his return Jarry has been downright awful and while he has had some ups in his career I would not want to be the team that sinks years and medium to big dollars into him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The best place for Bedard is Philly, because they'll still suck rear end but he'll make them a team of entertaining losers who you can't let your guard down against and that's my preferred version of the Flyers.

Dogshit garbage Flyers is boring. Give me a Flyers who you worry about playing but also sometimes beat 9-3.