Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Red Wings' two comeback wins against Pittsburgh turning into the margin that keeps the Penguins out of the playoffs is a very funny situation to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Don't count out the Detroit Red Wings on DeBrincat!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah that's a good call. They can pretty easily flip the picks they got for Hronek and you'd make that trade 1 for 1 every day. drat Yzerman is so good.

Also, a Detroit guy who wants to play here.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Isentropy posted:

Also I just learned the NHL has a All-NBA equivalent?

It gets announced during the NHL awards, typically as nothing more than a press release.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
a series of unpublishable comments

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

secret volcano lair posted:

getting word that chicago has acquired the entire Canada 2018 U20 men's world junior roster

big culture fit for the room

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The last Aldrich enabler just got fired before the end of the season, it's still an active scandal.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/NHL_On_TNT/status/1489337377814298624

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Flocons de Jambon posted:

I'd be surprised if the Leafs let Shanahan select a 3rd GM. Feel like the choppers are coming out and they won't wait around to start swinging them.

The Wings should acquire Shanahan, and give Keith Primeau to Toronto.

This has worked before!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Eric the Mauve posted:

It wasn't a super hard shot, but Lidstrom was also a wizard at getting off remarkably accurate slap shots with a super quick release. Between that and his clairvoyance, that dude almost never had his shots blocked.

The big thing with Lidstrom was his positioning and angles. Nick didn't need to get off a big shot, he was doing something very precise exactly where he needed it to be. Shots didn't get blocked by exact design.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
McDavid needs to be traded to a winner where he can create his own legacy, the Detroit Red Wings

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Oilers should see if Nashville would do Campbell + 4 firsts for Saros

This is the way, especially with Askarov coming.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Rumours are Holland will move upstairs fully and Steve Staios will be the new GM so sure why not.

SURE HE WILL, I'VE SEEN THAT BEFORE

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Dirty Burger posted:

Guy on reddit took a deep dive into one of the guys bidding $1bil+ on the Sens and it’s…interesting

https://twitter.com/sensturion/status/1658471025687003136?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

I’m sure the NHL would have done their homework* after the John Spano incident and there are probably a bunch of investors in the Neko Sparks bid, but pretty weird nonetheless

*i say about the league that made Fanatics their jersey distributor

Gary getting fleeced again would be incredibly on-brand.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
By the way, this is the cover of the Sports Business Journal this week.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Pungry posted:

Congrats to the haters of the Arizona Coyotes. Early ballots show that the three propositions will all fail, and the Coyotes arena won't go through. https://elections.maricopa.gov/results-and-data/election-results.htm

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1658671694079246337

AsInHowe posted:

By the way, this is the cover of the Sports Business Journal this week.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

secret volcano lair posted:

I feel bad for the fans but they basically have to move the team at this point, right?

Pretty much.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They're gonna move the Coyotes to Houston to the dismay of everyone in Quebec who wants the Nordiques back.

Back to Winnipeg!

Winnipeg will have two teams now.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I actually don't really know what the potential locations for relocation even are. I feel like most of the major cities have a team. Houston, Quebec City, a second team in Toronto maybe? Trying Atlanta or Kansas City again? I doubt Milwaukee is on the table but I always felt like that could be a good spot for a team too.

The discussion has been locations that would fit in the Central division - Houston, Atlanta, Kansas City.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Starsfan posted:

man Blake Wheeler has had one hell of a career.. from forcing his way out of Arizona to spending coming up on 13 years in Winnipeg... is there anyone else that's more associated with hockey in Winnipeg at this point?

Current Jets? Probably Scheifele or Hellebuyck.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Koopa Kid posted:

Shanahan says a GM with experience would be "attractive" it's the opposite of what I thought the Leafs are hosed

No trade for Marner kicks in July 1, contract negotiations for Matthews/Nylander start July 1, draft is June 28 and Shanahan has no idea who he's gonna hire

Welcome to Toronto, Stan Bowman

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Ken Holland, Toronto Maple Leafs GM, is everything we could hope for right now.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

I would imagine the appeal is that it's something of a party town with a strong youth culture which, to frequently single guys in their early to mid twenties, is quite a draw. Especially when they've likely only visited it on the road and seen the downtown bar scene.

I went to the Stadium Series game and I got hit on by Midwestern nurses that moved south for the warm weather. And I'm me, someone who is at a hockey game to watch a hockey game.

I could see why it's a draw for single guys in their twenties.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

its hard to overstate what a gently caress babcock is. i mean hes not quenenville who is just on a whole other level, but pretty much the entire 08 wings team has nothing good to say about him, and others outright hate him. its pretty hard to do that when you win a cup with a team- especially when many of those players (lidstrom, holmstrom, chelios, McCarty) had played for Scotty loving Bowman, who was known to be a tremendous prick

I cannot emphasize this enough. And Scotty was a good guy off the ice, just a stern coach, whereas Babcock was Babcock.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
For comparison's sake, Adam Silver and the NBA publicly says that they won't announce anything during the finals that would take away from the players and games.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Dirty Burger posted:

The weird thing about Babcock being this sought after still is the guy won one cup during the Lidstrom years. I feel like even one of us could have coached those Red Wings teams to a cup or 2

I can say this with confidence: I could've, and developed more of that lost group of prospects

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ginette Reno posted:

Those 07-08 and 08-09 Red Wings teams were terrors. Still surprised the Pens managed to win one of those series.

How much Babcock had to do with that I dunno. He's definitely an rear end in a top hat though and always has been.

2007 was just as good, but Babcock insisted on Andreas Lilja in pressure situations

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

mennoknight posted:

but we should let cats in schools

and dogs

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They're making the Hall of Fame announcements now.

Ken Hitchcock, Pierre Lacroix, Tom Barrasso, Henrik Lundqvist, Caroline Ouellette, Pierre Turgeon, Mike Vernon

If you didn't think there were enough goalies than this was the year for you. Mike Vernon is as exceptionally poor choice.

Mike Vernon isn't even the best HOF case on his own team, and Barrasso has less of a case than Vernon.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

not against this, for obvious reasons

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Arivia posted:

Don’t the Leafs actually wear the St. Pats jerseys for the whole game? So those aren’t banned by the rule.

The Leafs wear Toronto St. Pats jerseys that are actual throwbacks, and are part of the overall uniform system.

The St. Patrick's jerseys referred to in this are a formulaic warmup that the NHL pushes for drunks to wear while being a nuisance in mid-March.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/JClipperton_CP/status/1673551012055994370

This is the strongest statement Connor has made about literally anything in his entire life so he must be actually upset.

Dude was scrambling to tell his fiancee that he loves her last night.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/PenaltyBoxRadio/status/1674107713159036939

hahahaha

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

I've got a hint.

https://twitter.com/nickgerli1/status/1673774695693385728

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mind_Taker posted:

Thank you Elon for breaking Twitter today.