Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I’m comfortable posting in this thread now.

Catching up on the Tom Wilson discussion in the other thread: they should 100% trade him and they should trade him this offseason rather than waiting until the TDL. If you strip away all of the bullshit Wilson is a good but not great winger who has never reached 60 points and has only reached 50 points once.

There’s no way he doesn’t get at least 6 years, but probably 7 or 8 and that contract is going to look bad in a few years. It made sense for them to re-sign Oshie when they did because they were on the cusp of winning a title but it makes no sense to do the same with Wilson now that Washington stinks. They should trade him this offseason so that the entire league could bid for his services and so that they can maneuver cap to fit him in. Also his trade value should go up if an extension is in place.

As mentioned earlier some team is going to pay a haul for him. Jeannot got a big return despite not being established at all. Imagine what Wilson could get.

Washington promised Ovechkin they would try to make the playoffs every year but they could always flip Wilson for a better roster player or draft picks that could then be flipped for a better roster player. If and when Toronto loses in the first round I could see them making a panic move for Wilson, for instance.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

who the hell is trading a 1st and prospects for Tom Wilson

E: Tom Wilson with a 7 team NTC at that

I'm sure my opinion is hugely biased because I want a big return, but it seems entirely on-brand for an NHL GM to sell the farm for Wilson. He's exactly the type of player meatheads in front offices talk about wanting all the time.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Feels absolutely bizarre that the Capitals are out of the playoffs.

Honestly this is preferable to another first round embarrassment.

Washington generally doesn't make panic moves, but I have to imagine they will have a very active offseason. If they are true to what they said to Ovechkin that they won't rebuild until he is gone and will always try to make the playoffs while he is around, then I wouldn't be shocked to see them move their first round pick this year (unless they win the lottery of course). It wouldn't be the best long-term move to move the #8 or #9 pick but I have to imagine they are looking for a center this offseason and their first round pick could do the trick. Kuznetsov constantly disappoints and Backstrom's career as a top 6 player is pretty much over. I'd honestly be surprised if Kuznetsov is still on the team next year, I feel like the team has had enough of him.

I could also see them trying to move on from a guy like Oshie if there is any market for him. He's been a great player in the past but the last few years he has piled up way too many injuries and I think Washington might be looking to get a bit younger.

And I don't think they'll do it but I also wouldn't be shocked if they traded Wilson. Aside from their first round pick this year they don't really have any other assets of value besides Wilson, so if they really are looking to retool I could see them exploring that option. They'd certainly be better off trading him than re-signing him.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I said it before but I really am impressed with how thoughtfully the Capitals have managed the last few months. Sold at the deadline when it was clear that at best they were first round fodder. Re-signed free agents at decent rates that made sense and weren't going to return much at the deadline (Jensen and TVR). And now they are tanking like professionals. They apparently have the third worst record in the NHL since the beginning of 2023. Sucks that they had such a good month of December but hey, at least they are positioning themselves to be in the running for Bedard or Fantilli.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/CraigSMorgan/status/1643706663894130695?s=20

It would be so NHL for the Coyotes to win the draft lottery

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I didn't realized they'd dropped into the bottom 10. It would be so cool if they got Bedard.

They have the second worst points percentage in the NHL since the beginning of 2023. Only Columbus has been worse.

Bedard or Fantilli would be excellent because they be NHLers immediately. But if they don’t move into the top 2 I suspect they are going to trade the pick for some immediate help. I don’t think management wants to see the team being bad for the rest of Ovechkin’s career and #8 or #9 overall doesn’t do anything for the team for at least a few years.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Backup goalie’s in, they’re not even pretending.

Whew that was a close one.

Absolute clutch tanking by the Caps.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Man I hope not. It's been too long since I cared about a Caps prospect. I mean, Miroshnichenko has potential but he's still a couple years away.

It kind of depends what their objectives are.

If they want to give Ovechkin another shot at a Cup they probably need to think about trading the #8 pick unless someone falls. If they are just chasing the goal record and are ok being bad for the rest of Ovechkin’s career then yeah, draft and develop someone at that spot.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 9, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I can't see a scenario where they are cup contenders in the next few years. Unless kuzy does coke again and Nicky gets better PEDs.

Like who do you get for a second tier first round pick that really changes the complexion of the team? Too many holes to fill.

Of course. I’d prefer they just bargain bin their way to getting Ovie more goals and maybe sneak into a playoff spot the next few years. Try to sign more guys like Strome, TVR, etc. and then let their current prospects get a shot. As you mentioned their current holes are too much to fill. It’s not like they need a second pairing D or some something pretty trivial. They need a 1C and maybe even a 1D depending on Carlson’s play next year.

But we also know the team promised Ovechkin they would attempt to compete every year for the remainder of his career so I could see them trading the pick because it’ll carry value. I do see them being aggressive this offseason in either case.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I guess if they can get a U24 top line playing centre it's worth it but but generally those guys aren't moved and cost a fair bit more than a top ten pick. I'm not sure there are any on the market right now.

How long until Elias Pettersson wants out of Vancouver?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Pettersson is like the one guy I'd be fine with trading #8 overall for that might be available this summer.

It'd take more than the 8 pick to land Pettersson of course, but Tom Wilson would look great wearing the Vancouver skate logo. Or the V. Or the orca.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Tarik_ElBashir/status/1645451688684167168?s=20

I'm not confident in the Capitals winning anything going forward, but I am confident that they will tank properly when the time is right. Absolute masterclass in how to lose when losing is the logical thing to do.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Laviolette’s contract ends after this season so they’ll probably just let him walk.

I can’t see them extending his contract. Injuries yeah, but if they are truly looking to get younger and insert guys like McMichael and Protas into the lineup next year then Laviolette isn’t the guy because he’s done everything in his power to keep them out of the lineup.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think Spencer Carbery is on Washington's radar according to some article I read a while ago. Halpern would be neat too. He doesn't have any head coaching experience at the pro level, though I'm not sure how much that really matters since he's been a good assistant in Tampa for a while.

I just don't want some retread jerkoff.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Must-lose game for the Caps tonight. With a win they can finish with as low as the 11th overall pick, and with a regulation loss they are guaranteed the 8th overall draft position (before the lottery, which the Capitals will win).

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Capitals “lose”

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

admirable come from ahead loss by the Caps, shame it went into OT

OT loss was as good as a regulation loss.

That was the most invested in a Caps game I’ve been since December. What a professional tanking effort by the Caps. Couldn’t have realistically asked for a better draft position.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I could see Washington targeting DeBrincat but I think they probably need to prioritize a top 6 center before spending a lot on a winger. I think Kuznetsov is as good as gone this offseason and Backstrom’s game has fallen apart because his hip has fallen apart.

I could also see them looking at Andrew Brunette as their new coach. I imagine they’ll target a younger coach who specializes in offense and Brunette’s track record in FLA and NJ is impressive. Plus he is a former Caps player.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 14, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Listening to Brian MacLellan’s press conference made me think he is going to beg Nicklas Backstrom to go onto LTIR for the rest of his career. He had no optimism in him returning to form next year, which makes sense since there are zero examples of players returning from that surgery and playing well.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah it’s wild how the Devils are set up for a decade of serious contention if they play their cards right. Probably need to see who can play net for them long-term because Vanecek was never the answer.

It’s going to be fun seeing the Connor Bedard-led Capitals face them next year.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Blake Wheeler is a giant baby

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1652650592852926466?s=20

At least they have Tanner Jeannot

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/mikemcintyrewpg/status/1652721646258585601?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

I know NHL GMs work a grand total of like 50 hours in a given year but at least some pretend to do something every now and then.

Cheveldayoff doesn’t even pretend like he is going to do anything. He is going to gently caress off all summer and come back next season having done nothing lol

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1653100855065821185?s=20

That's some pretty dumb coaching by Montgomery. There's no way Swayman would have been a worse option than Ullmark

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

What’s wrong with Laviolette?

He was actually pretty good at developing game plans and tactics but he was a horrible judge of talent in DC. And he favored vets over rookies to a comical degree (yes I know all coaches do this, but he seemed far worse than others in this regard).

He wouldn’t be the worst option in NYR since their lineup seems pretty set and their biggest issue is they need some structure to their 5v5 game. But I also don’t think he’d be good enough around the margins to get them over the edge.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1653365745483407362?s=20

Quennville to NYR is going to happen. Also they are going to re-sign Patrick Kane.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

I was kinda hoping the Caps traded him away with a wink about coming back to DC. Oh well.

No, but that may happen with Orlov:

https://twitter.com/mattyports/status/1653495860808876033?s=20

I honestly don't know how Orlov would fit in with Washington going forward unless they decide to trade Fehervary or something.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

1/8 chance for Washington to get Bedard or Fantilli. On May 8th. Currently in the 8th draft slot. Alex Ovechkin is #8.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Perb serbs are my favorite

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I wonder how many millions of dollars Matthew Tkachuk is earning Tom Wilson.

I mean they’re clearly not the same caliber of player but some dumb GM is going to overpay Wilson in the hope of getting a Tkachuk type player. I really hope it’s not Brian MacLellan who gives him a stupid contract.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think the funniest outcome would be the Flyers winning but then it turns out Bedard is nothing more than a Lafreniere level talent while Fantilli becomes the generational player.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Oh gently caress off

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

That’s brutal.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I'm not sure there are any playmaking centres on the market though.

Tom Wilson + #8 overall for Elias Pettersson

That’s a deal Vancouver can’t refuse!

Edit: vvvv truth vvvv

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 9, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Capitals would be huge idiots to re-sign Wilson instead of trade him to Toronto or Vancouver or some other team that thinks they need grit.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

can i bet on that website that the Leafs will trade for Tom Wilson

I joke about Wilson getting traded but I think Washington is going to do the stupid and boring thing of just re-signing him to a way too big deal and then miss the playoffs again.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

grack posted:

Luke Schenn was the Leafs' best trade deadline pickup

Was Erik Gustafsson any good? He scored a goal and seemed fine whenever I saw him in Toronto. He was also Washington’s second or third best player this year so it was funny seeing him sit in the press box after being traded.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Florida could use a third team. The Jacksonville Coyotes has a nice ring to it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/pierrevlebrun/status/1660024883848310786?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

Seems like a pretty good list. That sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Friedman suggesting Conroy, Nonis and Iginla are all joining the Flames front office

What could possi bly go wrong?