Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

If Dubas gets canned Shanahan is absolutely gonna step in and sell the farm for Wilson. As much as the Leafs have a farm, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The players hate Darryl so much it's hilarious they're thinking of keeping him.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Wezlar posted:

I hate this loving sport why do I own season tickets to this poo poo

:allears: god I love the playoffs

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Simplex posted:

Would you believe that Lars Eller, Denis Malgin, Matt Nieto, and Jack Johnson combined for 0 points this postseason?

Gotta tell ya I’d be a lot more surprised if you told me that Denis Malgin had actually done something in the playoffs

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah all the excuses are annoying. The reason Boston lost is very simple actually, they are a good team but not as good as their record, and Florida is a good team that is not as bad as their record. In a "normal" year I would have expected both of them to have around 50 wins and be in the in the 105-110ish point range. There was a lot of talk about how Florida was so far behind in points, and whether they had a chance, and I felt like I was taking crazy pills because I thought the series would be a coin flip more or less. Florida won the President's Trophy last year and had largely the same roster but people expected them to just roll over and die I guess.

Yeah there was a little bit of discussion about this in the N/V as the season wrapped, but Boston had the highest full-season PDO of any team since it started being tracked back in, I think '07? Obviously they were still one of the best teams in the league, but their record was more what happens when a great team also goes on an insane luck bender and less that they were actually head and shoulders above everyone else, there wasn't actually a lot separating them from the next group of teams.

Florida's struggle was pretty much goaltending related all season, the fact that they started the series with Alex Lyon in net is all anyone needs to know about that. They also started the year with a really poor team sh% but great offensive creation that is obviously regressing.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

If an injury could be described as "debilitating" then it's time for that player to sit, doubly so as a goaltender. Staying in to not be effective and cost your team games is where selflessness wraps around into selfishness.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Really enjoyed seeing Patrick Kane meander slowly around the ice en route to a first round exit, gently caress that guy

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I wonder how many millions of dollars Matthew Tkachuk is earning Tom Wilson.

I mean they’re clearly not the same caliber of player but some dumb GM is going to overpay Wilson in the hope of getting a Tkachuk type player. I really hope it’s not Brian MacLellan who gives him a stupid contract.

If the Leafs lose this series it feels fated

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I haven’t really been paying attention to the WHC but that might be the worst Team Canada roster I’ve ever seen.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

For the record, ROR looked old and busted

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I know the circumstances make it unlikely, but man I really hope I’ve seen the last of Sheldon Keefe behind a Leafs bench. Team performance notwithstanding I hate his face and his head is shaped weird.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Tom Wilson has always dreamed of being a Toronto Maple Leaf

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Hear me out - run it back again with the exact same core and acquire a bunch of depth defense and an over-the-hill vet at the deadline for a first

Like, another pick gets you Meier, right? Even if you can’t sign him you move him on and recoup or you get rid of Marner in the offseason

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

secret volcano lair posted:

maybe they should have wanted boston

:ssh: they did chant that too, there’s a clip of it but nobody cares cause they want to live in a world of dunks

e: for anyone that doubts

https://twitter.com/itsmitchmarney/status/1654261629964410884?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

grack posted:

Luke Schenn was the Leafs' best trade deadline pickup

He really, really was. A lot of Leafs fans want him re-signed but the odds of him pulling a Giordano and turning into a pumpkin after a couple good months is extremely high.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Was Erik Gustafsson any good? He scored a goal and seemed fine whenever I saw him in Toronto. He was also Washington’s second or third best player this year so it was funny seeing him sit in the press box after being traded.

He was a glass cannon as expected, obviously their second-best defender offensively but he didn’t have a lot of opportunities to win Keefe’s trust and the red light went on behind him too often for him to get it.

I would have preferred him in over Giordano for his skating and offence, but Keefe is a much more conservative coach than people think so he never stood a chance. He was basically injury insurance for Rielly.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Oh it’s already begun (Hockey News reporter after the game)

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1657206863346245632?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

When your $11.6MM star player has a chronic wrist injury I think you're toast. I think all the talk about GM decisions and coaches is probably tinkering on the edges that doesn't matter.
Matthews contract is up after next year.

Finishing completely gone for more than a year:

https://twitter.com/ineffectivemath/status/1657389930509746177?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

If Matthews could shoot the Leafs are already in the conference finals

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

This year was actually Matthews’ second-highest GP in a season, he’s only played 82 once and it was his rookie year. And obviously he played hurt the entire year and still missed 8 games.

His contract negotiations are going to be a really big deal, if he wants near-max then the Leafs are going to struggle to be competitive. It’s not even about him getting over this one issue, he’s rarely ever been healthy over a full season and particularly not in the playoffs in his career.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Rolling the dice in a Tkachuk type deal might be viable imo.

Love the dude, but my wrist is hosed too and it's no bueno for hockey.

It’s hard to make big deals when your GM doesn’t even have a contract too. I dunno, there’s a lot of big choices to make for this team this off-season, but they have a ton of money and theoretical flexibility to trade a big deal.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

On the topic of Leafs cap: I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a 49-point player to not be re-signed as much as Michael Bunting, whatever he signs for in the off-season is gonna be too much.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Caps also won a Cup with one of their shittier teams (on paper) of the Ovechkin era to that point, which kinda puts the lie to this whole rosterbation/tinkering around the margins talk. The Leafs should have done a lot better during these last 6-7 years but they haven’t caught the breaks that some teams have either. Critical for the Caps, though, is that time passed and Ovi’s cap hit wasn’t so restrictive anymore, the contract Dubas gave Matthews and now his next one will be a different situation.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The only mainstays between the Caps of those two eras were Ovechkin and Backstrom. The Leafs have been effectively unchanged in a significant way in five years.

This is the Leafs 2018-19 roster:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000382019.html

Other than the “big 4” the only player left on the team is Morgan Rielly (Justin Holl is a UFA as of today).

But notwithstanding all that, what I was trying to say is that circumstances matter as much or more than roster filler, and to the Caps example I don’t think there’s much of an argument that the 120 point Capitals from 2015-16 were somehow objectively worse than the 104 point Capitals that won the Cup in 18-19.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Great post boxc but I find it hard to figure out what the diagrams relate to because every time I read the text around them all I see is “The Leafs are so hosed” repeated 200 times??

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

One of our teams is probably gonna pay him like $15 million on his next deal. Hopefully he gets surgery or something before then!

Fun fact: in the handshake line Auston’s right wrist was wrapped, the wrist he had surgery on back in 20-21 was his left. Also the recovery time for that surgery was only 6 weeks, so if it was a similar issue in his right side you’d imagine he would have had that treated in the off-season or even early/mid season to be healthy in time for this year’s playoffs, but he didn’t.

So it stands to reason that whatever’s bothering his other wrist is somehow less treatable or has worse outcomes for intervention than his previous injury, which he did more or less recover fully from. Doesn’t cast doubt about his career moving forward at all!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'm no expert, but maybe they should have shut down Matthews for a bit if he was playing through a wrist injury all year. The Leafs were pretty much locked into A2 since the All-Star break, and its not like they've ever cared about putting a quality product on the ice.

The Leafs treatment of injuries overall has been maddening for years, but it’s not like they don’t consult doctors or think about the long term. There’s kinds of injuries that won’t get better with rest/time but also won’t get worse with further use, he did get time off a couple times during the season and obviously didn’t improve in any lasting way.

The ‘21 surgery was notable because it happened late enough in the off-season that Matthews had to miss the start of the season even though he’d had the injury since early spring, he was clearly hoping to not have a procedure and waited too long.

I’m hoping/betting that it’s the same thing this time but with a much longer recovery time, he hoped that he’d heal up in the summer, didn’t, and by then he’d miss too much of the season or potentially all of it if he went under the knife.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It's possible the surgery is only x% successful cause wrists are complicated and its safer to just play through the pain and rehab. Surgery isn't a magic bullet.

This is the worst-case scenario (for teams, obviously) imo, cause it basically means he’s like this forever and his greatest talent is just gone. It’s been a full off-season and over a calendar year since this injury occurred, he’s had as much time as any active NHLer can have to work it out and hasn’t.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Very informative but yet again, all I can see is “The Leafs are so hosed” over and over again, maybe worth getting your keyboard checked out :v:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Players hate getting surgery right at the beginning of the offseason and spending their only 3 months off rehabbing from it. Especially if it means you can't play golf, which IIRC Matthews is really into even by pro athlete standards.

It’d be pretty funny (and fitting) if Matthews’ wrist being hosed had absolutely no impact on his golf game while making him bad in the playoffs, but I imagine there’s a happy medium in there somewhere and seems like guys elect for surgery at any/all times of year generally speaking.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

secret volcano lair posted:

to be fair a killer pp doesnt help much when it's a close elimination game and the refs start swallowing their whistles

Hey, for all the ref knows Ekholm’s face started spontaneously bleeding on its own

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Powershift posted:

Jack Campbell finishes with a 1.01 GAA and .961 sv% in nearly 2 full hours TOI but they had to start Skinner every game to give up 3 softies first.

Lol

I did think the Oilers goalie situation was pretty funny but I will say that it's easy to put up decent numbers when you come in already down a few goals, score effects kicks in and the leading team isn't actively trying to score in quite the same way.

AntiDepressor posted:

2 of the top 5 goalies in the league for the last 5 years are potentially available this summer in Hellebuyck and maybe Saros (depending on Askarov). If the oilers (and leafs for that matter) don’t do what they can to get one of them then it’s just gonna be another 2nd round exit.

On the other hand the Leafs were bounced nearly single-handedly by a goalie that was universally considered washed and overpaid until he took over mid first round, and in addition to Hellebuyck the majority of the league's top goalies like Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, and Shesterkin were all bounced in the first and half of them were terrible. Goaltending is stupid and it's the biggest reason why playoff results are basically random flips.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don't have much of a horse in whether a team needs a good starter or not, teams need to be good overall and there are a lot of ways to get there. I would say that I don't think it's really fair to use Vasilevskiy as an example because it feels like we're flattening all regular-season .920 guys into the same tier and I'm not sure that's true. Vasy is a true superstar at the position in a way that most goalies simply aren't, it's not like Hellebuyck has never been in the playoffs before and his track record does not compare.

The Leafs, in particular, could fit Hellebucyk easy for exactly one season, then you have Matthews and Nylander extensions, then you have Marner's the following year, not to mention filling out the rest of the team. The way the position is played it's a huge gamble to give money and term to guys over 30 and at that point you're basically hoping for what's happening to Bob right now when your formerly-good goalie gets hot again for a month. Obviously the Leafs should look at their goaltending options and if the price is right pull the trigger but I think the idea that Hellebuyck/Saros are slam-dunk Finals appearances for them isn't well-supported by history.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Of course not, this is hockey where so much is dictated by chance. But all their goalies have been a slam dunk first round out so far so maybe it's time to try a different approach? Matthews said all the right things in his presser but they have one year to convince him his long term future is in Toronto. If he goes it's likely rebuild time again.

Yeah obviously in a vacuum I'd love either guy on the Leafs, I'm not arguing against that, just saying that the whole team needs to be good and I'm personally tired of moving the same assets for short-term fixes that could have fetched long-term ones. But that's more a dig at Dubas than it is at the idea of the Leafs acquiring decent goaltending.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Arivia posted:

Samsonov suffered a neck injury that would have had him out for the rest of the playoffs: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/maple-leafs-goaltender-ilya-samsonov-suffered-neck-injury-in-game-3/

Murray also said he was ready to play and didn't seem too pleased to be riding bench in favour of Woll, so maybe it won't be too hard to get him to either accept his ticket to Robidas Island or go to the Phoenix Coyotes. For the record even though the Ekblad goal in G5 was terrible I do not think he would have done any better.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don't consider Hellebuyck a long-term option for the Leafs, all of his contract status, age, and the Leafs contract structure work against that imo

e: and I should clarify it's not that Hellebuyck is Too Old it's that he's at the point in his career where his next contract is likely to be his last one so it's gonna be Big

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I haven't read a word printed by Damien Cox in over 10 years and I don't intend to start again now. I'll be honest I thought he was retired or out of the game, I guess that was wishful thinking.

ThinkTank posted:

I'd say Hellebuyck is, but that's personal preference I get that he's 30. Saros is available. Thatcher Demko has long been rumorued to be unhappy in Vancouver. The Swayman/Ullmark thing needs to be sorted out in Boston. I'm not sold on Filip Gustavsson but he needs a new contract and the Wild are in a world of cap hurt. There are options aside from the rotating cast of forgettable backups who get a chance to disappoint as a starter for a year.

I will be disappointed if next year's tandem is Samsonov/Woll, to be sure. They were serviceable but I think a lot of the Leafs fan base doesn't realize how easily a lot of these guys can be replaced, and that you should replace them in case the next guy turns out to be the real deal. Another issue I have with Dubas' tenure though is that he's never really been able to find anything lasting/surprising with all the marginal guys he's brought in, his best find is probably a toss up between Bunting and Holl and I don't think much of either of those guys.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/status/1658190806535004184?s=20

Part of the reason I was hoping Keefe would be fired immediately is so that I’d get to be spared yet another exit interview season that just consists of him describing being bad at his job to a breathless press.

e: reminder that Cam is a former Leafs video coach that was hired under the Dubas/Keefe regime :lol:

https://twitter.com/camcharronyvr/status/1658188836353232896?s=20

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 15, 2023

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

After painstaking statistical analysis, we’ve determined that the problem with the Oilers is that they’re shallow offensively and defensively.

For our next trick, we’re going to pore over video obsessively for 10 days to eventually determine that they’re over-reliant on the powerplay to score goals.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

https://camcharron.com/2023/05/18/toronto-maple-leafs-playoff-autopsy-part-1-speed/

Cam Charron started posting his review of the Leafs. Part one is about zone exits, and the main takeaway is that while the Leafs were very good at getting and keeping the puck, they were relatively slow at turning the puck around after gaining control. The result is that it let Florida reset in the neutral zone, which left them in better position even if the Leafs were still able to create rush chances. In contrast, Florida was much faster at turning the puck around.

One thing I’ll add that for anyone not reading the whole thing is that when he talks about speed he’s not talking about raw foot speed, but total time of the puck moving out of the d zone and into the o zone which is mostly puck movement.

Interesting and telling that some of the more fleet-footed Leafs forwards were the slowest by his entry/exit metric, as well as some of the better passers and puck handlers.

He touches on things a bit in his conclusion but the crux of it for me is that Keefe’s systems are too passive at both ends of the ice, and that’s been consistent in the Leafs playoff losses going back to the start of his tenure.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1659379250179239936?s=20

Could be interesting, Leafs PP looked its best in years under Carbery. If Keefe was gonna be canned he was the clear internal candidate, though I imagine if the org moved on from Keefe they’d probably start looking at veteran guys because these things tend to flip flop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Rangers need help with 5v5. Can he help with that? PP isn't the problem.

My understanding is that he’s just a Good Coach Guy all round, as an assistant he had a more limited role but that’s common obviously. He was coach of the year in the AHL when the Leafs hired him.