Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

quote:

How deserted lies the city,
once so full of people!
How like a widow is she,
who once was great among the nations!
She who was queen among the provinces
has now become a slave to the lottery balls.

quote:

Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Montreal! Shout aloud, O daughter of Anaheim! Behold, your king is coming to you; righteous and having salvation is he, humble and playing for the Pats.

quote:

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and elimination shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.

Join me oh ye fans of failed franchises. Once more we fall victim to a 3 to 25% chance of blissful joy that is found in a pasty, white, Canadian saviour christened Connor. We have nothing left to will for except for the coming tumbling of plastic spheres. Hopes that have died already, oh let them die in here once more.

or put another (better) way:

Hand Knit posted:

If the question is "is it time for me to move to (the) Loser City (thread)?" the answer is usually yes.

The following teams suck:
The Montreal Canadiens
The Columbus Blue Jackets
The Philadelphia Flyers
The St. Louis Blues
The Arizona Coyotes
RIGGED GARBAGE TEAM EVERYONE HATES
The Vancouver Canucks
The San Jose Sharks
The Anaheim Ducks
The Washington Capitals
The Ottawa Senators
The Detroit Red Wings
The Calgary Flames
The Buffalo Sabres
The Nashville Predators
The Pittsburgh Penguins
The Winnipeg Jets
The Toronto Ma- wait what?
The Minnesota Wild
The NY Islanders
The Los Angeles Kings
The Boston Bruins LMAO 135pts
The Colorado Avalanche what is going on?
Patty Kane and the New York Range
The New Jersey Devils
Oh there are the Toronto Maple Leafs that felt weird for a bit
McDavid and Friends
The Seattle Kraken
The Carolina Hurricanes
The Dallas Stars
The Florida Panthers

Not losers:
The Vegas Golden Knights

I hate that I have to be here every year but I do deserve it.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Tom Wilson has always dreamed of being a more expensive version of Michael Bunting

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That would've been the trade of the century, no way it was anything like that.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 4, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That man is now credibly accused of sexual assault of an employee of his restaurant. Such is the life of a canucks fan.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-willie-mitchell-tofino-resort-inappropriate-behaviour

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens are a loser team

I don't see em on the list. Get lost ya cup holders.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What was the Blue Jackets plan this year? They signed Gaudreau and spent big in the summer yet ended up with a goal differential of -100. If it was to improve, Jarmo is doing a pretty terrible job of it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Speaking of the Jackets I was at the game tonight and who, exactly, is Eric Robinson? I'd seen their AHL team play this year and there were still a half dozen names I didn't recognize.

Amazingly enough he's a guy who's been around for years. He's an okay 3rd liner on the Jackets so would likely be a 4th liner anywhere else. He has the name of a hokey stand up comedian and not a pro athlete so he gets immediately deleted from your consciousness after you see him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Feels absolutely bizarre that the Capitals are out of the playoffs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

th3t00t posted:

Hello darkness my old friend...

Was it you who toxxed themselves into the Sabres making the playoffs?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Blues and Canucks competing to see who can poo poo their pants the most at loving their draft position, although it looks like Vancouver figured it out the past couple games

Still plenty of time for them to rise out of the Bedard lottery

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Way to stand up to those uh bullying bureaucrat Tempe city planners?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

It’s funny how many teams are missing that steady top-4 RD and would pay a ton of assets to address it, but last summer John Marino got traded for fuckin Ty Smith lol

The Canucks balked at moving Brock Boeser for him. Christ that would've been the trade of the decade in retrospect.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Klingberg and his agent are absolute jabronis for turning down that rumored Dallas extension. Whole league knows I’m horrible defensively and won’t sign me to a huge deal? Let me “bet on myself” and sign a 1-year Prove It deal with the worst defensive team in the league

Klingberg fired his agent for that call. Probably cost him $40m.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Pens' PK collapsing after replacing Blueger with Granlund was the most predictable thing since sunrise to everyone on Earth except Sullivan and Hextall.

JT Miller has been on a heater since the Pens didn't move two first round picks for him. 21pts in 15 games in March all playing centre. He looks back to his usual self.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

The dumbass Blues picked up 2 more points, all but ensuring they're going to end up in the worst possible situation at the end of the season.

Washington are tanking like absolute champs right now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Any top ten pick this year will be contributing in one or two years. It's completely idiotic to move one of these picks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I guess if they can get a U24 top line playing centre it's worth it but but generally those guys aren't moved and cost a fair bit more than a top ten pick. I'm not sure there are any on the market right now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

How long until Elias Pettersson wants out of Vancouver?

This summer sometime. The team has been slow rolling Hughes as captain the past month or so after it seemingly being Pettersson's to lose once Horvat was traded. There have been tons of leaks that suddenly the team "likes how he's responded to getting an A" and they even gave him a microphone to directly address the crowd after the last home game of the year on Saturday. Sounds like they initiated contract discussions with Pettersson and offered him the C if he signed long term and he said "sure, I still want $14M per thanks." I figure there's a strong possibility the team explores moving him this summer if extension talks go sour after July 1st.

As I have long held, this was the strip it down and quick rebuild but thanks to some dipshit yelling BRUCE THERE IT IS back in December 2021 we didn't get that and are now at real risk of falling out of the Bedard lottery entirely. On another note, I am so mad that the Oilers got all the benefits of a lovely draft lottery format and now every other team that has struggled since gets penalized for it while McDavid is dancing around putting up 150pts in the worst market in pro sports.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

I cant imagine being a fan of them

I hope that my last decade of over posting has at least given you a glimpse into the horror of what it's like.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1645632208592416771?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Incredible job by Regina having the best WHL player in like 30 years and not even trying to build the team into a contender.

He’ll be right at home in Arizona

Regina's decision not to build a winner around Bedard (or trade him to one) ranks as likely the most insane choice in the recent history of the sport. It was considered an outlandish disappointment that McDavid didn't make it to a Memorial Cup. Bedard got one playoff round. I cannot fathom what their management was thinking. They'll never get this opportunity again.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Markstrom is a Canucks sleeper agent sent to sabotage Calgary.

Worked out pretty well, I think.

Tbh I have seen better strategies than "load your roster with as many former Canucks as possible."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

oh good the penguins are in this thread now

We are witnessing schrodinger's penguin right now. They are simultaneously the worst playoff team ever and the most disappointing non-playoff team ever.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'm not pessimistic I'm exceptionally irritated at the horrific job in filling out the rest of the roster and 'improving' the team Ron Hextall has done.

HE'S MADE ME MISS MIKE MATHESON!

gently clasps your hand and stares sadly into your eyes my friend, it can be so much worse.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

don't forget we went from dementia Rutherford to Hextall

And where did dementia Rutherford end up? I can only dream of feeling disappointed when my team doesn't make the playoffs. It'll be a minimum of 9 years between home playoff games for the Canucks and I don't think anyone would be surprised in the least if that stretches to ten after next year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

74-years old and running a near-billion dollar sports franchise lol. The world has gone absolutely insane with old people refusing to let go of power

Look at that resume though!

Had Sidney Crosby!
Had Evgeni Malkin!
Had Kris Letang!
Had the non broken version of Matt Murray!
Won two Stanley Cups by doing almost nothing other than trading for Phil Kessel!

You can't teach that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Rutherford never hired Dallas Eakins or Ralph Kreuger

Dallas Eakins has been the head coach of the Ducks for the past four years. No one ever thinks about the Ducks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I just meant that he has never hired the worst coach in NHL history.

Oh I know, but Dallas Eakins isn't a bad coach. The Oilers were a really bad team. Plus the media hated him because he took their free donuts away and so Spec and Matheson made it their goal to get him fired.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I hope he buys them and recommends the Sens deliberately play short handed on defence so they can have a destinated cherry picker like he did in the NBA.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

With just 17 total games left in the regular season only the Philadelphia Flyers are locked into their pre lottery position at 7th and all the playoff races are decided. The next two nights are operation stink em up as teams jockey to suck hardest!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/agretz/status/1646329332766326788?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Pretty hilarious list of talent that Hexy has acquired over his GM career. I can see Philly hiring him because they love hiring former players, but what did Pittsburgh see during his tenure there that made them hire him?

Pugnacity. Burkie insisted he was part of a package deal for him becoming POHO.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

He has a reputation as a pretty solid draft guy, which is kind of a weird thing to hire someone on when you rarely have your draft picks. I

This line of thinking gave the Canucks a decade of Benning. The draft guru who sucked at drafting. Sorry Pens fans.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why would Dubas leave the Leafs for the Pens unless he's been told he's fired regardless of the outcome of the playoffs? It's a step back in every conceivable way even if they make him POHO.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jim Benning just felt a phantom phone buzz in his pocket.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

You can spell OHIO on a calculator.

You know who's from Ohio?

That's right, Tyler Biggs.

Burkalytics baby

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

Are the Canucks seriously going to end up in 11th spot

Yes, those braying idiots cheering for the win over the Leafs as some fantastic own must be very happy. Another waste of a year with no reward whatsoever aside from more moral victories.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good riddance to probably the most disappointing Canucks season of my life. I can't wait for next year to top it!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

There better be some huge changes this off-season but I’m not holding my breath.

The only changes that are viable are expending draft picks to move bad contracts. There just isn't any surplus value for any of their depth players that can realistically be offloaded in even a lateral move. The team will be largely the same as what it is right now with Pearson, Mikheyev and OEL back in the lineup. I can't see them buying out OEL given the cost in real dollars for ownership. There might be some nibbling round the edges and perhaps Boeser gets traded with some retention for an LD or 3C but pretty much what you see is what you get. As I have long contended, no one is going to do any favours to a team as obviously desperate for rapid improvement as the Canucks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Okay Canucks now follow suit

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The saddest part about Burke being fired is I guess the Miller deal is dead now. How did the Canucks blow that whole situation so badly (aside from the obvious: they are the Canucks)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

TSN is reporting that Debrincat doesn't want to stay in Ottawa and will probably be moved at the draft.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Backlund for Granlund swap, let's make it happen. Flames need term

I too am in favour of the Flames throwing away one of their best players on a good contract for a boat anchor.