Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hextall did a job fitting of a former Flyer- destroying the Pens.

Who lasted longer in Pittsburgh? Ron Hextall or Mike "Never Missed The Playoffs" Johnston?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Cartoon Man posted:

Good, wonder where he’ll go.

Come to Butt-head.

Jarmo, get the Lavi.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Columbus appears to be on their way to lock up 31st.

Years from now, unless it doesn't matter in the end, we'll look back on this fondly and ask, "Why the hell didn't they just pull the goalie in overtime against Pittsburgh?"

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Do people around the league really even know/respect Guentzel as a player anyway?
He's 30th in the league for points and 16th in goals since his first full season in 2017-18 but I get the sense that he doesn't really rate that highly in people's minds

and his game in general is just very... plain as far as a PPG player's game can be. He's not flashy.

e:
and granted when guys like McCann and Kempe are potting 40 goals, maybe it's not as impressive a feat in people's minds as it was a few years back

You become keenly aware if you're a fan of Columbus. Saw something earlier like 6.1% of his career goals that come against them.

E-
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1647055269090689028?t=gnuM50iSCkKTesj1NmXTOQ&s=19

This guy knows what's up. Give him one of the three stars.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 15, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm genuinely surprised they actually did it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Prefacing this reply by saying that, if Lars hadn't been fired, Jarmo's head should have been the one cut off.

whatis posted:

is there a reason they don't just fire jarmo already? i can't think of another GM who has accomplished so little yet somehow seems so safe in his job year after year

Look at the track records of Doug MacLean (I wouldn't trade my team for the 2005-06 Red Wings!) and Scott Howson (no, really, Steve Mason is going to get it back THIS season!) in Columbus by comparison.

It's all relative, baby.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It was probably more that players don't want to play for Torts than players don't want to play for Columbus.

I think there's a general perception around the league that Columbus is undesirable as a place to live until players get here and rave about it.

Even Bread said he liked Torts.

Aphrodite posted:

Jarmo is probably about as effective as a potato, which as we know is better than half the GMs in the league.

The Columbus media hyping him up as some genius for years while he did a whole lot of boring, safe stuff was weird though.

C'mon, even the most cynical, predictable CBJ haters knows how hilarious Adam Boqvist, Jake Bean, Cole Sillinger, and David Jiricek from Chicago so Seth Jones could get a raise he didn't deserve is. The only way it would've been better is if Chicago's 1st rolled to Columbus this year.

Again, look at his predecessors, Dougie wouldn't give Ray Whitney an extra year/trade Alexandre Picard for Chris Pronger and Howson claimed Ethan Moreau off waivers to improve a bad team.

e- Trying to list off all the non-boring trades Jarmo has made over this years:
-Brassard+Dorsett+Moore+pick to NYR for Marian Gaborik
-Umberger back to PHI for Scott Hartnell
-Anisimov and a grab bag of crap to CHI for Brandon Saad
-Malcontent Ryan Johansen for pre-plays-like-rear end Seth Jones
-Saad back to CHI with more crap for Bread.
-Malcontent PLD to WPG for Laine and Roslovic
-Foligno to TOR and Savard to TB for 1sts.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 15, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Big Leg posted:

well potatoes are cool then

I mean, if you stop and think about it, this is a true and factual statement.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

Initially, the Blue Jackets seemed to thrive in a post-Tortorella world. Larsen, a former player and more of a players’ coach, guided the Blue Jackets to a 37-38-7 record in 2021-22, which was expected to be a rebuilding year for the organization. Eventually, though, Tortorella’s firm approach and high demand for accountability were missed. Several players on Saturday mentioned how “little things” were allowed to slide over the last couple of seasons, and how badly a winning standard needs to be recaptured.

It doesn’t have to be in the unrelenting Tortorella style. But the Blue Jackets’ need for a new level of accountability was obvious this season, especially when season-long injuries took some of the club’s veteran players out of the lineup.

“I don’t want to say the culture wasn’t good at all, because it was, and we have a close group in there,” Blue Jackets defenseman Zach Werenski said. “But just in terms of the standard. We have to set the standard higher, and we have to let the young guys know that this isn’t acceptable.

“We know it’s not acceptable. We’ve been on winning teams. We have to get our standard back, and it starts with (the veteran players).”

https://theathletic.com/4415037/2023/04/15/blue-jackets-coach-brad-larsen-fired-kekalainen/

Seems bad.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The NHL and CBJ's quest to have an outdoor game in Columbus may have a friend in the...Cleveland Browns?

https://twitter.com/11W/status/1648083945790005249

quote:

If the Browns approach Ohio State with a deal to temporarily relocate to Columbus, and the school's leadership agrees, the partnership could be mutually beneficial.

The Browns would have a fortified stadium that could potentially host the largest crowds in NFL history, packing more than 100,000 fans into the Shoe on a Sunday. As for the Ohio State side of the coin, Ohio Stadium would require winterization to host Cleveland's games in December and January, which was a potential issue if the Buckeyes were to host College Football Playoff games in the future. This agreement could theoretically leave the Browns footing the bill.

Should that kind of agreement come to fruition between Ohio State and the Browns, the Columbus Blue Jackets would also be a beneficiary, as the NHL team reportedly has had the desire to play outdoor hockey games in the Shoe for several years. The main roadblock preventing a deal has always been winterization at Ohio Stadium.

Whatever it takes, man.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Super pumped for hockey in the Factory of Sadness.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Cleveland Winter Classic absolutely should be Jackets-Canucks

Ohio Stadium is about 5 minutes from Nationwide Arena in Columbus. :ssh:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLAlumni/status/1648384449401221121?s=20

Was always surprised he didn't last longer in the NHL. Had a hell of a run in the K

It always fascinated me when I would go comb KHL stats to see which NHL washouts were over there, and he was consistently not only there, but a decent scorer.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/TonyMarinaro/status/1651933137021153285

Where have I heard this before?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

Honestly, if I’m Montreal I want no part of signing this guy long-term when he goes UFA.

Has he been mailing it in for 60% of the games he’s played in Columbus/Winnipeg because he’s unhappy playing for any team other than Montreal? Then pull an Adam Fox and demand a trade there, because playing like a top-tier power forward in game 1 and then absolutely disappearing for 4 straight is cruel to those poor Jets fans

I don't think there were any signs of trouble (at least publicly) in Columbus until he bought a new place, signed a new deal, and then decided to go "echanger" and pull the beer league shift.

Furnaceface posted:

They already have to live in Winnipeg, isnt that suffering enough?

Also that team needs to fire Chevy right loving now or its going to end up back in Atlanta within the decade.

I mean, I'd think you could make living anywhere tolerable with a $5M per cap hit. Especially if it's a city that's not particularly city where $5M will buy you a fuckin' McMansion if you so fancy.

ThinkTank posted:

Like it or not, he has one destination in mind and wants to force it to happen. It's kinda unique in hockey, but other leagues see this and generally respect the player's wishes. Look at Rogers and the NY Jets. The attitude in hockey is you should just be happy to be in the NHL and your personal feelings mean nothing. I'm not wild about Dubois' attitude through this but I applaud him for trying it.

Please follow suit Bedard

I don't disagree that "shut up, you're in the NHL" is a bad attitude to have, but if you start acquiescing to players' wishes en masse that eventually you get every star who wore (insert team here) pajamas or has visions of living in (major market) and/or hopes to form superteams with their buddies making the league less fun. If it involves a trade, you're also potentially ruining the return for the team who has to live with the fact that they're not good enough for whatever reason; that Columbus got Laine and Roslovic for PLD seems like a slight miracle.

e- I've hated that type stuff since the Miami Heat became The Big Three (and then some other guys). Keep that poo poo in the NBA.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 29, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/ShutdownLine/status/1652167118673047554

in retrospect maybe everyone was way too hard on Mike Yeo

I count 5? :confused:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1652418829211906051?t=M_L9avZZlxokHCpRg75Htw&s=19

Can't wait for Vlad to say "no, sorry, you have Special Military Operation duties" like he did to that Flyers goalie.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Lmao if this series goes to 7 because Linus Ullmark couldn't settle down the puck in 5 in OT.

This aged well.

Is Paul Maurice still an affront to coaching?

stab posted:

So what was funnier

Columbus vs the Lightning

Bruins vs the Panthers

Tampa didn't win a game.

Duckman2008 posted:

This is really loving funny.

The irony is that he gave up three goals (again) and still won the series.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

One of the most embarrassing sports copes I’ve ever seen.

https://twitter.com/globechadfinn/status/1653022569090408449

Have another savage beating:
https://twitter.com/MrWorkrate/status/1653011240178925568

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

This should be more accurate than it is because Torts was robbed in 2019-20, god damnit.

Vigneault, too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/Skittles/status/1653043275958218752

:vince:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

I'd like to see them keep Tank somehow. He was awesome and I love him.

Also really loving unhappy with Panarin and Zibanejad. Z was great game 6 but otherwise not great and Panarin was straight up dogshit.

I heard them tonight say he was on a 5 game point drought and figured he was on the scoresheet quite a bit at least in Game 1.

14.1% of their cap hit for 7GP 0-2-2 -3

Dear Lord. :stonk:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/heatdaddy69420/status/1653225006170787840

I had to stop looking at this for a second out of fear of the chip in my mouth either choking and killing me or scratching my throat. :roflolmao: :golfclap:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

What are the odds Drury decides they got too flashy and lost their edge and then doubles down on grinders

Goin' rate on Ryan Reaves used to be a 1st!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

They've had major 5v5 issues for the last 5 years and 2 coaches. And while both of those coaches are strategic morons I'm beginning to wonder what player changes can be made to try and help.

I also wonder what they could get for Panarin if he was willing to waive. I'm not saying they should but Drury and Gorton signed a lot of guys to a lot of long contracts and I do t k ow how you unfuck this. And I'm starting to think that 11 mil per for a guy who shows up once every 14 playoff games might not be worth it. Then again you don't get there without him.

But you might get some pieces who do get you there without him.

When Rick Nash went to the Rags, CBJ got Dubinsky and Anisimov who were key to the sudden improvement in their performance coupled with :cop: (which you already have and then some in Shesterkin) and young guys like Ryan Johansen and Cam Atkinson (Chytil/Laf/Kakko). Addition by subtraction.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

not enough of a screamer. I want some guy in there that's gonna have articles in The Player's Tribune written about him 5 years from now like "I Thought I Was Going To The Big Apple. But That Was Before Mike Keenan Reported Me To The INS FSB."

Matt Zerella posted:

Laf is going to be fine. To zero in on him when the whole team played like poo poo is pretty stupid.

If you want to make fun of someone Panarin is right there.

https://twitter.com/BigHeadHcky/status/1653220865272844288

:allears:

e- It's mind-blowing that the Bruins went 68-20 this year before loss 21 ended their season.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 2, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsPR/status/1654207040363937796?t=rl4_PQ5iCY79QAA-9PI_Cg&s=19

Furnaceface posted:

This game was just brought to my attention and it looks kind of neat and a fun way for us loser team fans to spend some of our summer

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1566200/Tape_to_Tape/

cause who doesnt want more hockey over the summer?

I just sent this to my favorite gamer on YouTube (Colonel Failure) to see if he'll play it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Go back and watch Kakkos media interview. He clearly hates Gallant.

This is wild, seeing as when Columbus didn't hire him, Porty talked about how players tend to want to run through a wall for him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1654467392758530048

"He is like tough Russian boy."

clean ayers act posted:

i hope they hire quenville because i want to hate new york and right now i have trouble hating them

If it is, good lord...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

In fact, Gallant wanted to return to Columbus. He developed deep roots and long-lasting friendships here from 2000-07.

Here’s something else that might be attractive to the small-market Blue Jackets: Gallant has two years at $3.5 million per season remaining on his contract with the Rangers, meaning the Blue Jackets could get him at a discount, depending on the language in his contract with New York.

I'm not saying Turk is at the top of my list, but :lol: if a portion of the salaries of both Columbus' hockey operations president and head coach are at least in part paid by the Rangers.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Thufir posted:

Don’t those coach/exec deals usually have to get opted out of if they take another job? I guess I could see a rich team flex and not including that as a deal-sweetner, but seems like they’d be better off just paying slightly more.

I'm sure it depends from deal to deal, but from the same article (https://theathletic.com/4494440/2023/05/07/blue-jackets-nhl-draft-lottery-bedard-fantilli/):

quote:

How does that work? When the Jackets hired coach John Tortorella in 2015, they paid just $750,000 of his $2 million salary because he had three years remaining on his deal with Vancouver. The Canucks covered the rest, per the terms of his contract.

There was a brief time where hiring fired coaches cost teams a pick, which was the dumbest loving thing. Torts cost Columbus a 2nd.

Porty suspected the Rangers may have been paying John Davidson some amount after Dolan fired and CBJ immediately re-hired him, which was what I alluded to before.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Columbus should win because they've literally had obscenely bad luck when it comes to the lottery:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1653055591978266630?t=1rLK9DtGf1cgKkYpJKGqdw&s=19

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jhet posted:

Rick Nash was taken by Columbus at #1.

Minnesota has not had a 1st either, and you don't hear me complaining, except when they perennially lose in the first round of the playoffs. Even Marian Gaborik was #3 that first year.

Columbus traded up from #3 to get him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Wait, what the hell?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I just remembered that, had Chicago won the lottery last year, Columbus would own that pick. God drat it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

HAHAHAHAHAHA gently caress THIS loving LEAGUE

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"They tanked and it worked."

I thought teams didn't tank Gary?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pittsburgh Penguins have hosed up this entire season.

The Hawks beating the Pens caused the Pens to miss and Florida to make it, thus resulting in the Boston Bruins and (probably) Toronto Maple Leafs being ejected from the playoffs. And Chicago finishing where it did in the lottery meant them winning that pick.

Oops

Oh cool, I actually have a reason to hate the Pittsburgh organization now instead of just its fans!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Sillinger+Boqvist+#3+LA's 1st+2024 1st DO IT JARMO

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I think I've just had an epiphany.

On the surface, I don't believe the lottery is rigged. But I think this league is dumb enough to make it so it is and that fans won't question it.

Signed,
A lifelong NASCAR fan.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I still think they should have made them surrender the option on the 2023 first.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Anaheim: Picking 2nd in the Crosby and Bedard drafts is brutal

Columbus: Missing out on Fantilli stinks but whatever. They got Nash once.

San Jose: They've been good recently. Not too much pain here other than not being able to win a cup yet.

Montreal: Just picked 1st

Arizona: Losing every lottery ever is brutal

Philadelphia: Pretty awful to pick 7th after that kind of year, and after a rough stretch they've been in and no cups in a long time

Washington: Ovie is gonna break the goal record

St. Louis: Badly needed this, but won a cup recently so whatever

Vancouver: Just a painful franchise top to bottom, and this one probably hurts even more considering that Bedard is from Vancouver and Vancouver fans absolutely loathe Chicago

Columbus had to buy Nash. They would've picked 3rd if MacLean didn't trade with Florida.

The deal was they traded 3 and the option for Florida to swap picks with them in 2003. Florida then traded some mid-rounders to Atlanta for them to not pick Jovanovski (Atlanta was taking Lehtonen anyway).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Honestly, I don't even think I'm bothered to watch the game tonight. Well done, NHL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

To be honest following hockey at all is an ethical dilemma for me. I feel like a bad person for supporting the hockey establishment in any way... but I'm addicted to ice hockey I can't help it. I've tried to quit several times but it never takes for long and probably never will.

Give it until your team sucks for a couple of years, and it might sort itself out. It's been about 10 years since I stopped watching random, Wednesday night games, and i realized at that point that if my team wasn't going to be good (they were banged up in 2014-15), I didn't want to watch somebody else's be good.

I'll always love the Jackets, but it was getting to be a chore to watch games and I don't think I have the patience for another 3 years to wait for the next great thing to show up.

I miss the enthusiasm to start watching at noon and pack it in when I go to bed as I did on the last day of the 2007 regular season, but it ain't there.