Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/09/pgmol-admits-brighton-should-have-been-awarded-penalty-in-defeat-to-spurs

How many points has incomprehensibly bad VAR decisions cost Brighton this season wtf

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wow the admission of guilt came super early this time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Perisic was very lucky not to be sent off for a 2 footed tackle

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i assume everyone at stockley park has just fuckin had enough and is hotboxing the place and if that's the case then more power to them

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65224836

This is the third apology Brighton has received so far for incorrect VAR calls this season.

1. Failure to give a penalty v villa at home due to a foul on March
2. A goal incorrectly ruled out against Palace.
3. Failure to give a penalty against spurs away due to a foul on Mitoma

All game changing, it stinks.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Appreciate that the referees have moved from 'weve never made a mistake, gently caress you' to 'we make mistakes all the time and here is a list of them, gently caress you'

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My "favourite" VAR apology was when Lee Mason claimed to have not seen Christian Norgaard in our Brentford game and so the offside lines got drawn onto the wrong player

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Thanks Ants posted:

My "favourite" VAR apology was when Lee Mason claimed to have not seen Christian Norgaard in our Brentford game and so the offside lines got drawn onto the wrong player

This decision is potentially going to be title deciding

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Leeds don't want an independent regulator because it'll affect their finances

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65224822

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

This decision is potentially going to be title deciding

:sludgepal:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FullLeatherJacket posted:

what if you stand on top of the dugout and t-pose while being beaten in an embarrassing fashion

With or without long zip-up jacket.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

literally cannot wait for arsenal fans to have another single minor refereeing incident over the course of a 38-game season that they post angry "never forget" screeds for the next twenty years demanding justice for

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

literally cannot wait for arsenal fans to have another single minor refereeing incident over the course of a 38-game season that they post angry "never forget" screeds for the next twenty years demanding justice for

They fired Lee Mason over it op

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

otoh my favourite was when they ruled a goal out for offside because they didn't have a camera that could see if it was offside

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

wait no I think it was when a West Ham player scored after doing a volleyball dig over the defender's head, and the VAR ruled it as "frickin' sweet"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

Leeds don't want an independent regulator because it'll affect their finances

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65224822

Jokes on them, any regulator who tries to figure out Leeds's accounts will take so much psychic damage they'll have to retire on the spot

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Jesse Marsch will, at some point, become Chelsea manager. Whether that comes before or after he fails to qualify for the world cup with the USMNT is up to the toddfather

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65224836

This is the third apology Brighton has received so far for incorrect VAR calls this season.

1. Failure to give a penalty v villa at home due to a foul on March
2. A goal incorrectly ruled out against Palace.
3. Failure to give a penalty against spurs away due to a foul on Mitoma

All game changing, it stinks.

I think this is pretty revealing for a basic flaw in the way they've implemented VAR. They claim decisions should still be made by the referee team on the pitch and VAR is just there to catch mistakes, but then the referees on the pitch get gunshy about making decisions because they don't want to get overruled by VAR and the VARs get gunshy about making decisions because they don't want to overrule the ref. Refs abdicate their decision-making responsibility to the VAR by not making decisions, but a non-decision is a decision so the VAR doesn't want to overturn it. The obvious one is refs seeing a challenge that may or may not be a penalty and instead of making a decision they think "well that's 50/50 so I'll let VAR look at it instead" but then the VAR looks at it and says "that looks like a penalty but it isn't enough of a penalty to overrule the ref's decision not to award it", but the ref didn't make that decision in the first place because they were leaving it up to the VAR!

Offside is another one, I complain all the time about those stupid "flag after the phase of play ends" incidents because sometimes the assistant refs are doing that with really obvious offside calls that they should just make in real time, but also because the VAR team have shown that their line drawing is just as arbitrary and subject to error as the assistant refs' eyes so what's the point?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

For offside it seems trivial to just implement the automated system they had the world cup. That would be an instant improvement

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also we’d get graphics of someone’s arse playing people onside

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Thanks Ants posted:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

They fired Lee Mason over it op

Howard Webb also called arsenal to apologize.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

blue footed boobie posted:

Howard Webb also called arsenal to apologize.

Did we get a trophy for that? 😪

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

The real reason to implement a better system

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

I did lol at The Ramble’s Jim Campbell summarising Arsenal’s position as something like “We’ve got 72 points and an apology”.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I think this is pretty revealing for a basic flaw in the way they've implemented VAR. They claim decisions should still be made by the referee team on the pitch and VAR is just there to catch mistakes, but then the referees on the pitch get gunshy about making decisions because they don't want to get overruled by VAR and the VARs get gunshy about making decisions because they don't want to overrule the ref. Refs abdicate their decision-making responsibility to the VAR by not making decisions, but a non-decision is a decision so the VAR doesn't want to overturn it. The obvious one is refs seeing a challenge that may or may not be a penalty and instead of making a decision they think "well that's 50/50 so I'll let VAR look at it instead" but then the VAR looks at it and says "that looks like a penalty but it isn't enough of a penalty to overrule the ref's decision not to award it", but the ref didn't make that decision in the first place because they were leaving it up to the VAR!

Offside is another one, I complain all the time about those stupid "flag after the phase of play ends" incidents because sometimes the assistant refs are doing that with really obvious offside calls that they should just make in real time, but also because the VAR team have shown that their line drawing is just as arbitrary and subject to error as the assistant refs' eyes so what's the point?

Seems like this could be instantly solved by having the referee use the radio to say “no penalty” or “please check” so that VAR knows if the ref saw it and made a call or couldn’t see it

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I suspect they'll eventually go toward the rugby model, where the ref can stop the game to watch an incident on the screen and then discuss with the VAR, or the VAR can ask the ref to stop the game to have a look at something.

My understanding is that they didn't want to do that in the first instance because it would hold up the game and any marginal call would default to throwing up a square in the air, but if they're going to hold the game to review every call and every goal anyway it makes more sense to do it that way.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Just saw the Leeds Crystal Palace score and did a big lol

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

lmfao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looking at the games that Palace and Chelsea have left I'd be fairly confident saying that Palace will finish above them

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

not sure chelsea will win a single game until the end of the season

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Looking at the games that Palace and Chelsea have left I'd be fairly confident saying that Palace will finish above them

Hope this happens and then this summer Chelsea hire Woy

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

tristeham posted:

not sure chelsea will win a single game until the end of the season

We’ll win 2 out of 8.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Hope Everton finally go down and then go bankrupt lol

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/eurofootcom/status/1645469413817163776?t=qEqTG-8fRMxGTLqhyYXsxg&s=19

loving lol

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Envy is the religion of the mediocre ex-pube doc

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mf looks like Worf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

Envy is the religion of the mediocre ex-pube doc

If imitation is the greatest form of flattery, maybe you should get some braids too