Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I've never really watched modern wrestling, but I watched the first match of summerslam between Jake Paul the Maverick and Ricochet. Is all of modern wrestling like this? There wasn't a lot of submission holding, chops, or stomps. It would be hiptoss then mug at the camera for 10 seconds. Not even a lot of crowd work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

is pepsi ok posted:

It varies greatly by promotion and wrestler, but what you described is very much the WWE house style. They force most of their wrestlers to work that way.

Ok. That is a shame.

flatluigi posted:

wwe, in particular, has almost a grudge against highlighting wrestling as part of their whole deal and frequently treats it as the least important thing on the show. it might be representative of what 'mainstream modern US wrestling' has been for the last decade or two, but there's a lot more to what's happening with modern wrestling around the world. even in the US there's been a renaissance with AEW, which is pretty much the first significant competitor WWE/F has had since WCW was a thing and showcases a variety of modern wrestling styles on the regular

if you want people to throw links at you at stuff to check out i'd head over to the general wrestling question thread for overall suggestions + the pinned AEW primer thread for stuff about that promotion specifically (or the current AEW discussion thread)

I've looked at AEW before when people recommend it, but I balk at having to purchase another subscription.

MJeff posted:

I'm not gonna do the cliche bit where I just instantly recommend AEW to you and instead first I'm going to ask 1) Who are some of your favorite wrestlers and matches? And 2) Do you even want some examples of that kind of stuff in modern wrestling or were you just curious?

I've only watched 3 full years of wrestling 1985-1987 NWA. I have seen some clips of later stuff running into the attitude era and some John Cena or randy Orton. Again just clips. My favs would be guys or matches from the JCP NWA era at the moment since that is all I've watched. I have been posting about all this in the wcw history thread since it seemed the most appropriate.

I was more just curious about what modern wrestling was like compared to that old stuff I've been watching. They are completely different and I don't know if I like it. Maybe as I watch more and approach the modern era it will grow on me. I just couldn't believe the ring even sounded different.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

forkboy84 posted:

Honestly, modern wrestling is all over the place (although it always has been. Go from watching JCP to the same week's WWF TV & instantly feel bad). WWE is very...WWE. The old rapist in charge is deeply embarrassed to be in the wrestling business, despite it having made him grotesquely wealthy, so that plays into a lot of it. It's very much not old school wrasslin', Vince McMahon loathes wrasslin'. AEW meanwhile is very much the opposite, Tony Khan is a wrestling nerd who used to post on the Death Valley Driver forums, which was/is a very nerdy place for talking about wrestling, he adores early '80s Mid South/UWF & ECW & Japanese stuff he'd watch on tapes & so on. So while it's very much a contemporary product, there's I think more elements that would feel familiar in the structure of the programming. Somewhat. Obviously it's 35+ years later & the industry is wildly different, in the '80s the house show business was where the money was & TV was about getting fans to go to the arenas, then gradually it became a PPV business & weekly TV through the '90s is about getting you to buy the PPVs, especially once they go monthly. And now all the money is in the TV rights themselves, so you get many more big matches on television than you would expect to see on TBS at 6:05pm in 1988.

And then the US indies are all their own thing, closer stylistically to AEW generally but usually rougher round the edges & often different because it's not made for TV so the format is different. And there's wrestling from other countries, often with their own feel & way of doing things like in Mexico & Japan.

If you want an actual grasp of the best of in-ring action from 2023, we've got the 2023's Best and Worst Pro-Wrestling Matches of the Year thread where people post their recommendations. Sometimes including links to view the match on Russian or Chinese social media sites because god bless their lack of interest in copyright law. I'd also add that every single episode of AEW TV is up on archive.org if that's something you want to try out at some point. Not the Pay Per Views, but they are up on VKontakte

I'll link directly to my own post from the start of July which has my top 10 matches of the year to date, all with timestamped links. It's all from Japan because that's what I watch at the moment but hey, it's a starting point

Thanks for the informative post. I'm always interested in spoiler free behind the scenes stuff. I will check out archive.org for aew stuff. Had no idea everything was on there and that really peaked my interest. Really appreciate that tip a lot.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

This is good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Youtube recommended me a clip from a recent Smackdown and I saw Paul Ellering is out of retirement. How long has he been back and is he managing a new LoD?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Joey McChrist posted:

paul came back to manage authors of pain back in 2016/2017ish. they got called up to the main roster without him, he got let go, then AoT got let go during the pandemic. they got quietly rehired a while ago and ellering got brought back with them. they were a pet project of HHH's.

Are the authors of pain a fun stable to watch? Is Ellering still good in promos? He used to have a way with words.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
That is too bad they suck. I was just curious. I enjoy Ellerings work with the LoD.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Does the Netflix deal screw with old content on peacock like old PPV, WCW, the terriorites, or old WWE shows?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Lid posted:

Peacock owns that library til 2026 so if anything it fucks Netflix

I have 2 more years to finish my wcw watch. Praise contracts

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Just saw that rock kicking the poo poo out Cody clip.

Wrestling is good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

They gonna dusty finish Cody winning and blading is back this wrestlemania.

Edit: it will be like when dusty beat flair for the title and 3 weeks later dropped the title to flair again. Cody is dusty, Roman is first flair, rock is 2nd flair.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this would be very funny becuase cody's goal and seemingly only desire to be in the WWE is to win the belt and keep it without being screwed with a dusty finish

It feels inevitable and I may watch wrestlemania to witness jt

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Lmao at the rock bringing back attitude era.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

word on the street is that everyone backstage is mad at the Rock for making long promos and swearing but they cant do anything about it because he's the Rock and he's on the board

They are good promos and remind me of the old crazy wrestling that everyone loved.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
"You think you know hard times?"

:swoon:
https://twitter.com/NoContextDusty/status/1586477593171316736?t=91aNy91YYGnxA_6J412FAQ&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The Rock is doing what Roman shpuld have been doing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Make Cody wrestle Arn's failson

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Becky lynch will win the title from rhea. Lynch is in fortnite rhea is not. Simple

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Cody will lose and they will setup Rhea vs Roman to unify the titles

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Optimist with doubt posted:

I feel there is a non zero chance that Cody already has a burner here and Reddit

Cody if you are reading this please get tattoo removal for that neck tat.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

MassRafTer posted:

https://twitter.com/JHagholm1/status/1774879940652970288

Punk wants us to know how much he idolizes Vince, he's out there spouting his beliefs.

Setting up the heel for Cody's babyface belt run. Can already see the promos "as the grandson of a plumber..."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

projecthalaxy posted:

https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1774867962995920933?s=46&t=YLj_CtUx2GT6lj8SkodQMQ

Punk decides to write down his opinion on people writing things down.

E: to not click through:

CM Punk says he saw Vince McMahon at Titan Towers once, and hasn't seen him since. "I think some stuff came up, Ariel," Punk joked to Helwani He said there was no positivity there. He didn't read all the allegations, he read the text messages and says it's indefensible. "I'm shocked at how dumb he was, writing stuff down, and leaving a paper trail. It's horrific. I think all the energy should be done to make reparations and amends -- there are victims here" Punk said.

Lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Are smackdown and raw not available day after on any streaming?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Pretty Deadly. These beautiful boys

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Watched my first episode of modern wrestling. It was the 3/29/24 Smackdown show.

Things I liked:
The Damage CTRL and LA Knight promos were good or funny.
The New Catch vs Legado del Fantasma was a decent match.
I liked The New Catch, Damage CTRL, and Pretty Deadly are fun teams.

Things I didn't like:
The street profits vs theory and Waller match. Did not like the match being stopped for some backstage promo then restart.
Most of the matches had commercial breaks that seem to cut out significant portions of the matches.
Every match is high impact move after high impact move. It really takes away from the finishers.
A lot of the time the wrestlers were very bad at selling moves and would scuff and have to reposition constantly.
The ref does nothing now.
They use that announcers table way too much.

Things I didn't get:
Why is Randy Orton teamed with a fat oaf?
Why should I care about Jade Cargill?
Do they always have commercials and promos interrupt the matches now?
Do they use cheering crowd and mat sound effects don't they?
Dakota Kai isn't very good is she.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 2, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
And! When wrestlers got kicked, punched or thrown out of the ring what actually happened is the wrestler fell onto the mat and rolled out. This happened Ed constantly! My eyes aren't lying announcers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Kennel posted:

I'm pretty sure commercials during matches have existed as long as I've been watching (since 2002). Of course, tv matches tend to be longer now than in the 90s, where most didn't have time for an ad break.

3 of the 4 matches had interruptions including the main event. 2 matches had 2 interruptions.

Edit: and another thing! Everyone always looked so perfect. Even after matches they didn't look messed up. Perfect hair. Perfect makeup. Perfect clothes.

It all feels like smashing action figures together.

Maybe that is why the Cody/Rock promo was good. It was the complete opposite of that.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 2, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

quote:

I'm glad you enjoyed things! I don't recognize most of these names lmao
Pretty Deadly had an amusing gimmick of evil Fabios.

The new catch was a team of a bigger guy and smaller guy who each had distinct styles that complimented each other and made the match fun. The smaller guy really ping-ponged around.

Damage CTRL is the Japanese bad girls club. They radiate powerful heel energy.

Endless Mike posted:

This is the WWE style of wrestling since matches are like five minutes but everyone has to get all their signatures in to pop the crowd (it doesn't work)

See above
Man that isn't good. It takes away the finishers and signatures being special. Working towards using those with submission, standards suplexes, and punches or kicks is what makes it fun.

quote:

The modern ref's job is less refereeing and more giving signals that it's time to bring it home
Yeah. It used to be a huge deal, now it's just like a transition move lo
Bleh. Just makes the entire match feel fake instead of a (fake) sport.

quote:

IDK but Kevin Owens is one of the best wrestlers on the planet, so if anything you should be asking why he has to be teamed with that old idiot loser. (The answer, of course, is SLOM)

Because AEW made a big deal out of her then WWE hired her away as one of their big gets so they have to make a big deal out of her. She has a great look, but never really proved herself in the ring. (As it probably turns out, AEW was right to only ever have her in five minute matches or tags where she didn't do much.)

Totally normal for weekly TV, definitely not so much for PPVs (though it can happen there, too lmao)

Definitely for the crowd, I think they just turn the mat mic way the heck up though

I swear she'd gotten a lot of hype when she got signed, but she also kept getting injured, which isn't going to help anyone.
Yeah I don't know who Kevin Owen (KO) is and he just came off as a fat oaf jobber that Orton was teamed with to lose the match.

That makes sense about jade then.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I'm watching last night's Raw and Final Boss heel Rock is very over. He is cooking right now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
"I made that boy bleed."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Sisal Two-Step posted:

hi guys. how was raw last night

It was decent. Some good promos and a couple decent matches.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
What is the appeal of Seth "Freaking" Rollins?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Last night's Raw thoughts:

I feel like Dirty Dom is going to betray Judgement Day.

I think I want the wrestler with the homeless person gimmick to beat Gunther.

The Rock showing videos of kids crying then mocking them was top tier heel.

The 6-woman match was OK.

The Rollins vs sikoa setup was kind of stupid, but the ending was hilarious with The Rock and Roman whipping Cody and Seth. Place went nuts when Cody showed up, but the Rock looked old when they did some light wrestling.

Edit: are there watch threads for the episodes or just post about them here?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

forkboy84 posted:

There used to be weekly WWE threads but nobody watches WWE here except Foochs and EMF so they became redundant

So just use this thread

Sounds good.

Will there be a wrestlemania thread?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Yeet is the dumbest thing I've seen so far

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I have peacock so it is included.

Hulu includes day after smackdown and raw. I just found this out yesterday.

To watch aew I would have to spend another $50 a month. I'm not doing that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

forkboy84 posted:

I wouldn't encourage piracy but every episode of AEW TV is on archive.org

I continue to not really understand why it hasn't had a copyright claim on it but long may it continue. Also Russian social media website VK has all the AEW TV & PPVs, plus far too many other things

Yeah I could do archive for my phone. My streaming device for my TV is a ps5 and that doesn't have a browser.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Is the "Main Event" Wednesday show just a recap of Raw and Smackdown or does it have new matches and promos?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Eat My Fuc posted:

I’m the only one on this forum who had Brandi and Cody actively do anything bad to in person so bad i started crying yet I am their only true supporter, open your hearts.

Also it was my fault anyway so I can’t be mad at them for telling me to gently caress off and yelling at me because I was standing next to them like an idiot whole they were having a private conversation, I just got stuck in an awkward situation and couldn’t move away in time because I got too anxious to operate my body.

Still not the worst Gunner broke my glasses at an indie, but Cedric Alexander made up for it and told me Gunner was a loser.

This is why I love wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

This wouldn't happen if they weren't doing so many high risk maneuvers.