Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
hell yeah time to make my own worthless plastic bullshit, since there isnt enough worthless plastic bullshit available to fulfill my needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ELTON JOHN posted:

hell yeah time to make my own worthless plastic bullshit, since there isnt enough worthless plastic bullshit available to fulfill my needs

can you make me a spider ring

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
good for making new dick cages could probably have a whole dick cages business w one of those things

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

3d print me a bag of beer

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

lobster shirt posted:

a bag of beer

canadian

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
work had a 3 printer for whomever wanted to play with it so I printed a screw because my license plate was missing one and its been rock solid for over 7 years now.

other than that, they are really good for collecting dust because no one has real hobbies that require custom parts.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I would print a worm drive for a timed chicken feeder if I had a 3d printer but I don't so I'll do something else instead.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I'm gonna print more printers

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Al! posted:

canadian

im going to kill you

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

if you know cad 3d printing kicks rear end. I've saved myself probably a few thousand between printing replacement parts + woodworking poo poo. it's an insanely good tool for certain hobbies but it's not a hobby in itself and if you don't have a very clear use for it you're gonna print a baby yoda and that'll be that.

a buddy of mine just spent 800 bucks on a prusa and thinks he's going to make his money back selling phone holders at the farmer's market. feel kind of bad about it because he saw my (cheapo) printer and I explained what I did with it and somehow that translated into "its a money printer". nice guy but fuckin come on now.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I'm gonna print more printers

u can do this (mostly)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
printing lovely gun parts and turning them in can get good money.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

if you know cad 3d printing kicks rear end. I've saved myself probably a few thousand between printing replacement parts + woodworking poo poo. it's an insanely good tool for certain hobbies but it's not a hobby in itself and if you don't have a very clear use for it you're gonna print a baby yoda and that'll be that.

a buddy of mine just spent 800 bucks on a prusa and thinks he's going to make his money back selling phone holders at the farmer's market. feel kind of bad about it because he saw my (cheapo) printer and I explained what I did with it and somehow that translated into "its a money printer". nice guy but fuckin come on now.

What parts do you print?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Weka posted:

What parts do you print?

non woodworking related its mostly odds and ends for stuff that broke. most recently I made a hose brace for my vacuum because I snapped off the locking pin inside the adapter.
woodworking wise I make a lot of jigs for small parts batching, but recently I've been on an organizing tear so I'm making brackets and mounts for tools that can go on the wall. I might adapt one of those open source organizer systems and build myself some serious tool drawers this summer. I've printed a bunch of pretty useful stuff from cults/thingiverse/etc that have saved me some money like a set of corner radius templates for my router, dovetail markers, small parts holders, hose adapters for dust collection, tons of hinges and handles, ratchet strap corner clamps, etc. basically anything that can be made of plastic and doesn't have to be especially precise.

software wise I've been using onshape which is fully free as long as you don't need private files, and if you know your way around that and have an okay calipers you can design and smash out a thing pretty quickly, though I'm not an engineer so it was slow going at first. I'd have to print a ton of revisions because I'd forget some dimension and a part wouldn't fit properly, but thankfully that's something that improves with practice and patience

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I used to be addicted to plastic crack minis then I got a 3d printer last year for 200 quid and printed about 600 quids worth with the first 20 quid bottle of resin.
I figured out even with my small build plate I could print out £200 of space elves per plate for like £6.
Needless to say my home is now full of resin figures.

I always liked kitbashing (putting diff models together to make new models) and that's really easy in 3d so even with my very rudimentary skills I could make some pretty cool custom models.

Then I decided to learn blender finally and now I'm making my own minis

Check out these bug soldiers

I've printed out a squad of 10 and a hero but haven't painted them yet.

never awake
Apr 4, 2023

by vyelkin
10 years later 3d printing is still plastic parts rather than, you know, Food

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

I used to be addicted to plastic crack minis then I got a 3d printer last year for 200 quid and printed about 600 quids worth with the first 20 quid bottle of resin.
I figured out even with my small build plate I could print out £200 of space elves per plate for like £6.
Needless to say my home is now full of resin figures.

I always liked kitbashing (putting diff models together to make new models) and that's really easy in 3d so even with my very rudimentary skills I could make some pretty cool custom models.

Then I decided to learn blender finally and now I'm making my own minis

Check out these bug soldiers

I've printed out a squad of 10 and a hero but haven't painted them yet.

love these little fellas

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I'm going to disrupt the funko pop industry

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

we should have more threads about bourgeoisie hobbies

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm waiting for 4d printer personally

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

never awake posted:

10 years later 3d printing is still plastic parts rather than, you know, Food

they call that planting.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

im literally buying seizing the means of production comrade

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 94 days!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

:dafuq:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
3D print yourself a car and drive off a bridge

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

War and Pieces posted:

Please don't advocate environmental damage in this way.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 94 days!

War and Pieces posted:

:dafuq:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

what's the best bang-for-the-buck low-mid-level prosumer 3d printer

i presume its some cool alibaba thing because china ftw

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 94 days!
just chew a spool of resin and dribble it out of your mouth into whatever pattern u need op

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

how about you spool some resin into a car and drive off a bridge

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

3d printing is good for making organizers for board games

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 94 days!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

how about you spool some resin into a car and drive off a bridge

don't last out at me because you don't know what the bourgeois hobbies are (yachting, hunting men, loving kids, things of that nature), pal

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Xaris posted:

what's the best bang-for-the-buck low-mid-level prosumer 3d printer

i presume its some cool alibaba thing because china ftw

I'm not really into 3d printing as a hobby in itself so I don't know about a lot of the hardware, but I have an ender 3v2 and recommend it because it's still pretty cheap comparatively at $200, everyone has one so your questions have already been asked, and you have to build a pretty good portion of it yourself which is very useful when diagnosing and fixing problems. they're all just machines that poo poo out hot plastic though so really you're mostly just paying for QA and whatever board they stick on there so you'll probably be able to use any alibaba printer with decent reviews (there are millions). if you're going that route I'd get one with an enclosure

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

RadiRoot posted:

printing lovely gun parts and turning them in can get good money.

Printing lower receivers and poo poo is dumb but you can print a switch for any glock and make that bitch full auto its sick

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

3d printing costs less than most hobbies

An entry level fdm printer is a hundred dollars plus twenty bucks for a kilo of filament. Cura is free software.

An entry level resin printer is a hundred and fifty dollars plus twenty five for a kilo of photoresin. Chitubox is free software.

It costs more to build a budget deck for magic the gathering. It costs more to buy a Nintendo switch. A decent tv is more expensive.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Apr 7, 2023

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It seems weird to call 3d printing a hobby in and of itself, unless I'm missing something. I've got a buddy who has one and uses it to print out a lot of miniatures that may or may not one day be useful for TTRPG games. He likes painting them and displaying the best ones, but I would call this a miniatures hobby, not a 3d printing hobby. Someone up thread talked about using it to make stuff for a woodworking hobby and that makes sense as well.

Unless you're creating your own art pieces out of resin, I don't even know what a 3d printing hobby would look like. Makes about as much dense to me as saying you've got a hammer or a screwdriver hobby.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 94 days!
i tried to search for a guy with a screwdriver collection to refute this but it just lead to a vid of a dude jamming a screwdriver in his urethra. so long

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Azathoth posted:

It seems weird to call 3d printing a hobby in and of itself, unless I'm missing something. I've got a buddy who has one and uses it to print out a lot of miniatures that may or may not one day be useful for TTRPG games. He likes painting them and displaying the best ones, but I would call this a miniatures hobby, not a 3d printing hobby. Someone up thread talked about using it to make stuff for a woodworking hobby and that makes sense as well.

Unless you're creating your own art pieces out of resin, I don't even know what a 3d printing hobby would look like. Makes about as much dense to me as saying you've got a hammer or a screwdriver hobby.

everybody likes bread but not everybody is a baker.

At this point the technology is still too fiddly for amateurs TTRPG guy who does not like adjusting recipes and print speeds won't find it worthwhile

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Azathoth posted:

there's a (admittedly pretty small) set of Printing Guys who mostly seem to love printers and printing for its own sake. they're into stuff like making big printers, or really fast printers, or open source printers, or they just get extremely hype about new hardware stuff. I don't know they're kind of like car guys who like fiddling with their cars but not for track days or whatever

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

croup coughfield posted:

i tried to search for a guy with a screwdriver collection to refute this but it just lead to a vid of a dude jamming a screwdriver in his urethra. so long

please like and subscribe to my channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

there's a (admittedly pretty small) set of Printing Guys who mostly seem to love printers and printing for its own sake. they're into stuff like making big printers, or really fast printers, or open source printers, or they just get extremely hype about new hardware stuff. I don't know they're kind of like car guys who like fiddling with their cars but not for track days or whatever

That's fair, and frankly sounds kinda fun. Like, 3D printing a lifesize copy of Michelangelo's David or the snowmen from Calvin and Hobbes or whatever. Way too spendy for my blood, but I can see how people with some engineering knowledge and expertise could find that enjoyable independent of what was being created.