Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Problem description: I got a free Dell 7480 from work. After buying a new battery and NVME drive for it I can't seem to figure out why it keeps randomly shutting down. The longest I've had it going is about 10 minutes but sometimes it gets to the point where it can't even get into Windows. It will shut off completely then power back on as if it was booting normally. Seems to maybe get worse once it's been on for a while which makes me think thermal issues. However looking at the Thermal Log in the Bios shows no events, there are events in the Power Log though.

Attempted fixes:
- I bought a new battery, on the off chance it didn't like running just off AC.
- Bought a new fan/heatsink module (I used the included pad which had no cover, just in the box? Maybe that's not good?)
- Reinstalled Windows
- Checked in HWiNFO for temperatures, they are high but it's not consistent when it shuts down.

Recent changes: It had no HDD when I got it so it should be fresh, I updated as many drivers as I could before it would shut down.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

System specs: Dell 7480 with an additional 8Gb of ram added, WD SN570 added as well.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run https://www.memtest.org/ to check the RAM health.

If it loses power during the test I'd disconnect the drive and try the test again.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zogo posted:

I'd run https://www.memtest.org/ to check the RAM health.

If it loses power during the test I'd disconnect the drive and try the test again.

Awesome, thank you. When you say disconnect the drive, do you mean the NVME SSD? So just run the test direct off a USB stick?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

Awesome, thank you. When you say disconnect the drive, do you mean the NVME SSD? So just run the test direct off a USB stick?

Yeah, you can run memtest from a flash drive without any drives attached.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I ran Memtest86+ for nearly 11 hours and it passed 11 times, no errors...I assume that means the ram is OK?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

I ran Memtest86+ for nearly 11 hours and it passed 11 times, no errors...I assume that means the ram is OK?

Yeah, it's not a 100% guarantee but it's probably okay.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Would it be worth trying a different OS? I mean to do diagnostic stuff. It’s clearly something related to Windows as was happy to stay in Memtest for 11 hours without a reboot.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

Would it be worth trying a different OS? I mean to do diagnostic stuff. It’s clearly something related to Windows as was happy to stay in Memtest for 11 hours without a reboot.

If you can get into Windows I'd try running https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php and see if it sees any issues with the drive.

You could also try booting from a version of Linux on a USB if you want to.

Was the drive disconnected when memtest was running?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zogo posted:

If you can get into Windows I'd try running https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php and see if it sees any issues with the drive.

You could also try booting from a version of Linux on a USB if you want to.

Was the drive disconnected when memtest was running?

Oh no, the drive wasn't disconnected when I ran memtest. Sorry, should I do that?

I'll need to wait for a cold boot (seems to be usable for the longest time from a cold boot, which led me to thermal issues but who knows now) to give that program a shot, will look in CrystalDiskInfo as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

Oh no, the drive wasn't disconnected when I ran memtest. Sorry, should I do that?

No, you don't have to. But it does mean that the drive merely being connected isn't causing the shut downs.

If the drive ends up being okay you could make sure you're on the latest BIOS.