Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Just visiting this board, not sure what kind of reaction I will get here, but doing this anyway to see what happens.

Before you respond, I hope you read the following articles which illustrate my viewpoint further. I consider myself in tune with this article's expressed views-

"Woke" and conservative gaslighting

This article discusses the topic of slavery reparations-

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/15/us/slavery-reparations-explanation-trnd/index.html

I think the above article says many things I wish to discuss herein better than I can.

Basic argument- slavery reparations would be very bad for America.

Why? The CNN article mentions how difficult it would be to find victims for such funds. It would also be wrong to punish perpetrators- I know the Bible says sins of the fathers are visited upon the children, but our legal system is not based on that part of the Bible.

The larger issue, though, is the money. The CNN article I linked says that the total cost of reparations would be in the high trillions, far exceeding our current national debt.

Add to that the high number of lottery winners who do not spend their money wisely.

Add to that the fact that many people I know, people of all skin colors, would find it hard to define how much money exactly they would want to receive for something like what slavery did to their ancestors. Or how many descendants of former slave trade proponents (you want to punish all descendants of slave owners, slave traders, slave overseers, etc, right?) would find it hard to define how much they think they should pay for something that was ended over 150 years ago. Whether they would support it now or not.

We can also argue at length about who deserves the money. Maybe not individuals, maybe social justic groups like the NAACP or BLM. Ok, but consider this- would not politicians wishing to take a stand against the idea frame it negatively regardless of who was getting so much money and how wisely or not they would spend it? That would lead to another point I will make below.

I do not argue that slavery was not a terrible crime, it is self-evident to me that slavery and the Holocaust rank pretty close to each other on a scale of horrific historical events. But a famous German philosopher said (in paraphrase) that he who fights monsters should take care they do not turn into them.

That should frame my next point nicely.

You cannot erase suffering by enacting more suffering.

If you think reparations will be a good thing for America, study the Treaty of Versailles.

I will sum it up for those who don't want to read any more long articles, though you are free to do your own research too:

1919. World War 1 just ended and a lot of Europe was pretty upset with Germany for waging it. The Allied Nations which had defeated Germany proposed to punish the German people with (in today's money) $442 billion in reparations. This wrecked Germany's economy pretty bad over the next decade or so. It also stoked anger and fear in a lot of Germans that helped lead to the rise of a nationalist movement you may have heard about called Nazi Fascism. This would lead to a war even more terrible than World War 1 known as World War 2.

[deep breath] I grew up in a white Southern US conservative family. I had to do a group presentation on welfare in high school in 1997. I still recall my now-departed grandfather ranting about welfare queens and how terrible it was to reward them for doing nothing when I asked him to help me write my perspective paper laying out the issue of welfare and viewpoints surrounding it. I thank God that we made our peace before he died of cancer in 2006. I also have lately been experiencing criticism from members of my family deriding me for supporting WOKE agendas and so forth. We are making our peace too (I hope), but never mind that now. There are a lot of people in this nation who would not like the idea of slavery reparations and for good reason. I can't make peace with everyone, but I can try. So, to do that on at least some level, I feel I need to attack the side doing the most damage first-

[deep breath again]

My fellow Americans human beings- The roots for things like the Nazi Party already exist in America. We must not fertilize them.

You want the Nazi Party to rise in America? Then support slavery reparations. Nuff Said!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
shut up bitch

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

fascinating

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

can you please wake up before posting again tia

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

achtungnight posted:

Basic argument- slavery reparations would be very bad for America.

Good.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Looking into it

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Support my rear end with your cumerations

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

*punches alarm clock off desk*

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

thank you for this information

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
i'm convinced, lets do reparations

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I actually went back and skimmed this and are you seriously going with "don't do reparations you'll just piss the nazis off" lmfao

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I want reparations for ops posts

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

achtungnight posted:

The larger issue, though, is the money. The CNN article I linked says that the total cost of reparations would be in the high trillions, far exceeding our current national debt.

hmmm sounds like the entire American economy is built on the back of slavery then, all the more reason for reparations

achtungnight posted:

Add to that the high number of lottery winners who do not spend their money wisely.

very curious at you sneaking this line in there where you thought people wouldn't see it though. verrrrry curious indeed

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Buck Wildman posted:

I actually went back and skimmed this and are you seriously going with "don't do reparations you'll just piss the nazis off" lmfao

also quotes Nietzsche as becoming monsters by actually doing reparations so i think this guy may have some insight on what drives nazis

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

can i get a tldr

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
in order to do reparations, we must become the reparations

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Woke Mind Virus posted:

can i get a tldr

some racist dude thinks reparations are bad because his racist friends might get mad and also black people are bad with money and will spend it on menthols and sneakers

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

some racist dude thinks reparations are bad because his racist friends might get mad and also black people are bad with money and will spend it on menthols and sneakers

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
oh also just in case this wasn't all a bit, it's a myth that reparations from Versailles wrecked the interwar German economy. Germany intentionally wrecked its own economy to try and get out of paying reparations, and when they decided to stop intentionally wrecking their own economy it recovered just fine until the Great Depression meant US banks stopped loaning Germany money and they wrecked their own economy again doing austerity which opened the door for the Nazis. Great historical analogy OP.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I'm up!

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
OP has convinced me. I believed that we should do the right thing by righting historical wrongs, but that was before I considered that it might be hard.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
what in the world

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

america is already nazi, op

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

what other just things should we not do because the Nazis wouldn't like it

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Anything that's bad for America I approve

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Crazypoops posted:

Anything that's bad for America I approve

this

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Nuff said!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if you don't want the Nazis to come to power, the way to stop it is to just preemptively do what the Nazis want anyway, it's so simple i cant believe you woke moralists haven't figured that out already

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i need to attack the side doing the most damage so i'm posting in cspam

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

spending 167 hours a week reading lets plays and using my remaining free time to give myself a panic attack thinking about slavery reparations

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

achtungnight posted:

I do not argue that slavery was not a terrible crime, But

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

good for a laugh at any rate thank you op

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

OP do you think we need a WAACP

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

If you are telling people to WAKE UP then I'm sorry to say you have fallen ill with the Woke Mind Virus.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

[ deep breath ]

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm taking the Woke Pill and gun fuing my way outta this thread later losers

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

spending 167 hours a week reading lets plays and using my remaining free time to give myself a panic attack thinking about slavery reparations

yeah id say being worried about the white supremacist nation of the united states actually going through with reparation is like being worried that the LHC is going to create a black hole. not impossible but so very unlikely its not even worth losing sleep over

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

id like to reparate this thread to the gas chamber

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Thx also for making me see the end result of cancel culture and realize something very important about life. To do just about anything requires harming someone or something else. The clothes you're wearing? Some plant or animal died to make them, and it is quite possible the process of making them caused someone else harm too somehow. That food you ate at your last meal? Same deal. Oh, was it not meat? Well, plants still died and they may have been harvested by some kind of work practice you find objectionable. It is very possible. That song you like listening to? That book you read whose themes you respect? That game, TV show, or other media you enjoy. Quite possible that it was created or promoted by someone whom you might dislike or disagree with on some point, however profound does not matter.

Given all these facts, why do anything? Are you going to walk around naked? Are you going to stop eating? Stop doing the things you enjoy? Would you gladly delete an entire world's chance to learn any history or culture just to edit out the parts you find objectionable?

I hope not. And I know I wouldn't. I can and will learn from and fix the mistakes of my life. But I will still do what I must and what I want, because I can and because otherwise is not to live. Not like I can avoid making all mistakes. No one is perfect.

I hope to God you don't kill this thread. And that you think about what I have said before you continue your current attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I understand that you have concerns about the idea of slavery reparations and its potential negative impact on America. However, I would like to address some of the points you have raised.

Firstly, while it may be difficult to identify the exact individuals who were victimized by slavery and determine how much they should receive in reparations, there are ways to address this issue. For example, reparations could be given to descendants of slaves or to communities that were affected by slavery. Additionally, the cost of reparations does not necessarily have to be borne by the government alone; private companies and individuals who have benefitted from slavery could also contribute.

Secondly, the comparison to lottery winners who do not spend their money wisely is not entirely relevant. Reparations are not a windfall or a gift, but a means of rectifying a historical wrong. It is up to the recipients to decide how to use the funds.

Thirdly, your argument that it is difficult to determine who deserves the money and how much they should receive is not unique to reparations. This is a challenge that is present in many forms of social welfare, such as food stamps or unemployment benefits. The fact that it is a complex issue should not preclude us from addressing it.

Regarding your comparison to the Treaty of Versailles, it is important to note that the circumstances surrounding reparations for Germany after World War I were vastly different from those of slavery reparations in America. The Treaty of Versailles imposed harsh penalties on Germany that were seen as unfair and punitive. In contrast, slavery reparations would be a means of acknowledging the historical wrongs committed against Black Americans and providing them with the means to overcome the systemic disadvantages they continue to face.

Finally, your argument that supporting slavery reparations could lead to the rise of the Nazi Party in America is both unfounded and inflammatory. It is not productive to engage in fear-mongering and baseless speculation. Instead, we should focus on having informed and nuanced discussions about the issue of reparations and its potential benefits and drawbacks.

Regenerate response