Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i drink like six cans of coke zero a day. am I scrambling my dna or am I living a healthier lifestyle via avoiding the white devil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
idfk for sure but what i do know is that when I’m sipping on that american classic i feel about as cool as a polar bear on CHRISTmas eve.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i drank a coke zero recently

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

nice weasel word :rolleyes:

if you want to run with the big dogs you need to quantify

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
they taste loving disgusting op. not sure why anything else about them matters if you keep that garbage out of your drinking hole in the first place

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I drink artificially sweetened drinks all the time and I'm fine. it's probably ok. it's science

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

as far as i recall artificial sweeteners work by basically being unprocessable and therefore yielding no calories. so they go right through you - whether or not that’s fine or something decades from now people are going to look back and laugh at as a case of stupid unregulated practices is a matter of waiting. thanks for being part of the experiment beep!

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
i think ur pretty sweet op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

nice weasel word :rolleyes:

if you want to run with the big dogs you need to quantify

whats your problem, idiot

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

HamAdams posted:

i think ur pretty sweet op

:unsmith:

fart simpson posted:

whats your problem, idiot

mods make me thread ik so i can probe this chucklefuck

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Armitag3 posted:

as far as i recall artificial sweeteners work by basically being unprocessable and therefore yielding no calories. so they go right through you - whether or not that’s fine or something decades from now people are going to look back and laugh at as a case of stupid unregulated practices is a matter of waiting. thanks for being part of the experiment beep!

"chemical whatever is really stable so it's harmless" has had a few hiccups over the years, cfcs and microplastics probably being the two most notable cases. so yeah i don't find the argument convincing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

"chemical whatever is really stable so it's harmless" has had a few hiccups over the years, cfcs and microplastics probably being the two most notable cases. so yeah i don't find the argument convincing

whats bad about ingesting micro plastics?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah so we’re due for a win here

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

don’t forget our friend pfas

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

don’t forget our friend pfas

can’t, it’s a forever chemical

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

they taste loving disgusting op. not sure why anything else about them matters if you keep that garbage out of your drinking hole in the first place

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the acid in soda will rot your teeth, op

(downs second cup of coffee)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

akadajet posted:

the acid in soda will rot your teeth, op

(downs eighth cup of coffee)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

pure grain alcohol has pure in the name so it's fine

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

President Beep posted:

i drink like six cans of coke zero a day. am I scrambling my dna or am I living a healthier lifestyle via avoiding the white devil?

non-nutritive sweeteners are pretty much uniformly healthier than consuming something with equivalent amounts of sugar, much in the way that vaping is healthier than combusting. so if the comparison were to og cola (i noticed recently that they have a sugar-free version of coke classic now so they've renamed coke classic as coke original taste here)

generally speaking super sweeteners are probably going to have the least significant impact versus something that is used in similar physical quantities to traditional sugars.

but they're usually all totally different molecules, and likely all processed (or not) differently by your body. the biggest risk, perhaps, is that some might trick your body into getting ready to process sugar or cause cravings. there's almost no good evidence showing any of these to do anything interesting in humans in vivo.

pure grain alcohol has pure in the name so it's fine

its made from whole grains!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

fart simpson posted:

gets stuck all over the place in your body and stays there. turns out that you don't have to chemically react with other stuff to be deleterious to biological processes if you just gum up all that cellular machinery that assembles and folds proteins, or opens to let ions into or out of a cell, or all of those other purely physical processes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mediaphage posted:

non-nutritive sweeteners are pretty much uniformly healthier than consuming something with equivalent amounts of sugar, much in the way that vaping is healthier than combusting. so if the comparison were to og cola (i noticed recently that they have a sugar-free version of coke classic now so they've renamed coke classic as coke original taste here)

generally speaking super sweeteners are probably going to have the least significant impact versus something that is used in similar physical quantities to traditional sugars.

but they're usually all totally different molecules, and likely all processed (or not) differently by your body. the biggest risk, perhaps, is that some might trick your body into getting ready to process sugar or cause cravings. there's almost no good evidence showing any of these to do anything interesting in humans in vivo.

didn’t read but welcome. this thread seems right up your alley.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

One of them had some concerning (although not definitive) results recently:
https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/trouble-erythritol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

welcome back

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

gets stuck all over the place in your body and stays there. turns out that you don't have to chemically react with other stuff to be deleterious to biological processes if you just gum up all that cellular machinery that assembles and folds proteins, or opens to let ions into or out of a cell, or all of those other purely physical processes

good thing i eat only large pieces of plastic without much chewing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fart simpson posted:

I've heard if you consume enough microplastic you'll turn into a ken doll.

Geebs
Jun 1, 2022

The ø is silent.
think long and hard about what you'd choose to drink otherwise

if it isn't water, don't stop drinking the sweeteners

there's no controversy about what sugar and alcohol does to you

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
gives you energy and makes the sadness go away, respectively. both are good things

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

gives you energy and makes the sadness go away, respectively. both are good things

it almost seems too good to be true. breathtaking

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

what’s the story behind the face in the thread tag?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

turn your monitor on

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i used to drink a lot of diet coke. for some reason aspartame tastes fine to me that way but it’s off putting in any other beverage. I used to put splenda in my coffee and thought it tasted fine, but I stopped drinking all artificial sweeteners for a while when I was trying to stave off depression. now when I have a coffee with splenda and i think it tastes gross. i very rarely drink soda, and i drink my coffee black or with just a little bit of brown sugar. thanks for reading

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
artificial sweeteners might not impart calories, but they still gently caress with your body OP

They send signals to your brain that say "eyyyy, sugar incoming lmao", and in response your brain does things like
- spike your insulin
- increase stomach acid production
- make you feel hungry

Your gut bacteria also adjusts to them over time, which maybe isn't ideal since your gut bacteria interacts with most of your body's regulatory systems.

Ditch the sweet drinks, artificial or otherwise. Drink unsweetened beverages and live a happy life.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 7, 2023

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I'm not a food scientist though, so probably you should ignore the above post.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

well i am and i can say that that’s all correct

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

get over it lol

they enable the diabetics in the world to participate in meaningful society

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
you're fine. these are among the most studied chemicals in food science

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

they enable the diabetics in the world to participate in meaningful society

can confirm that I exclude and ostracize anybody that isn't continuously guzzling soda at all times

big gulp or be gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

can confirm that I exclude and ostracize anybody that isn't continuously guzzling soda at all times

big gulp or be gone

this but ironically