Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Geebs posted:

there's no controversy about what sugar and alcohol does to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Poopernickel posted:

artificial sweeteners might not impart calories, but they still gently caress with your body OP

They send signals to your brain that say "eyyyy, sugar incoming lmao", and in response your brain does things like
- spike your insulin
- increase stomach acid production
- make you feel hungry

Your gut bacteria also adjusts to them over time, which maybe isn't ideal since your gut bacteria interacts with most of your body's regulatory systems.

Ditch the sweet drinks, artificial or otherwise. Drink unsweetened beverages and live a happy life.

thanks gary taubes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

thanks gary taubes

lmao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

gives you energy and makes the sadness go away, respectively. both are good things

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

akadajet posted:

what’s the story behind the face in the thread tag?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlUFHMpAyy0

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

lmao thank u

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

splenda

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just drank a bunch of erythritol, sucralose and asesulfame potassium

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Stevia coke, usually in a green bottle/can, took the longest to appear out of all the sweeteners. That’s about all I know about it.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 10, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

MrMoo posted:

Stevia coke, usually in a green bottle/can, took the longest to appear out of all the sweeteners. That’s about all I know about it.

because it by far takes the most work to make palatable lol i’m guessing. stevia tastes gross in almost every formulation unless they do a lot of work to mask it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ll drink a zevia now and then but yeah they taste weird.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I haven't had a sweetened beverage in probably a month or so

all I ever drink is coffee, water, soda water, and maybe some beer now and then

feels good man

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

artificial? aint nothing like the real thing, beepy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol that was not what I was expecting.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MrMoo posted:

iirc that also has some cane sugar

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
splenda tastes extra sweet

my
favourite binge out food is nutragrain, pour cream
all over it, and then sprinkle splenda over it. and eat it out of a mixing jug so that you have a handle

drat that makes me want some

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

my
all over it, and then sprinkle splenda over it. and eat it out of a mixing jug so that you have a handle

that sounds like some disgusting confused foreigner poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

my

this is more than anyone cares about but splenda also use all sorts of sweeteners in their products. none of them are sugar, but as for the rest they'll react to you and things you make pretty differently - you can get splenda that's sucralose, splenda that's erythritol, splenda that's monkfruit, splenda that's stevia, splenda that's allulose, splenda that's a mix of one or more of the above, etc

makes it a pain to make recommendations for friends lol

for a long time their baking stuff was just sucralose mixed into cornstarch, but the rule about rounding down small serving sizes meant they could list it as calorie free on the label even though it's literally a bag of starch with some sweetener added to give it the approximate same sweetness as a volumetrically similar serving of sugar

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Roosevelt posted:

artificial? aint nothing like the real thing, beepy

ugh, i know :negative:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

for a long time their baking stuff was just sucralose mixed into cornstarch, but the rule about rounding down small serving sizes meant they could list it as calorie free on the label even though it's literally a bag of starch with some sweetener added to give it the approximate same sweetness as a volumetrically similar serving of sugar

if it’s the stuff I am thinking if it’s also highly flocculated meaning a teaspoon is gently caress all of it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

if it’s the stuff I am thinking if it’s also highly flocculated meaning a teaspoon is gently caress all of it

yeah you're right, that's the stuff im thinking of.

yeah i mean i get why they do it, it's just really annoying sometimes. i have a bag of pure sucralose powder somewhere, lol. adding like. 1/16th of a teaspoon can be overpowering

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

is this the good one

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
eat what you want, you aint gonna live forever, do what thou wilt, let anarchy reign

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
idk wtf was wrong with aspartame and ace-k that we need all these new sweeteners

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

instead of artificial sweeteners we should be focusing on how to make people like sweet things less

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

rotor posted:

eat what you want, you aint gonna live forever, do what thou wilt, let anarchy reign

i'm here for a good time not a long time

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

rotor posted:

instead of artificial sweeteners we should be focusing on how to make people like sweet things less

good loving luck with that, you'd have an easier time making people dislike sex. it's core reptilian brain ingrained poo poo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i mean yes unilever and p&g are exploiting the hell out of that instinct to our detriment. but it only works so well because there's a thing to exploit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

good loving luck with that, you'd have an easier time making people dislike sex

have u ever met my ex-girlfriends?? consider the problem solved.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DELETE CASCADE posted:

good loving luck with that, you'd have an easier time making people dislike sex. it's core reptilian brain ingrained poo poo

pretty sure they already have drugs that make you uninterested in sex. so rotors idea seems possible

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

fart simpson posted:

pretty sure they already have drugs that make you uninterested in sex. so rotors idea seems possible

they have anti-cocaine??

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

rotor posted:

have u ever met my ex-girlfriends?? consider the problem solved.

every single one of them

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don't really like the taste of aspartame

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

but do you like sex?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

quaff a diet coke and get back to me on your horny/aspartame status

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did someone mention sex

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

idk wtf was wrong with aspartame and ace-k that we need all these new sweeteners

they’re sort of old and bitter (like how you get if you only use stevia) in comparison to the options available today.

fart simpson posted:

is this the good one

it’s an actual sugar which is useful - you can straight up make caramel with it. theoretically “natural” but i assume it’s synthesized in industrial quantities. tastes fine, a little less sweet than traditional sugar. no cooling sensation since it isn’t a sugar alcohol. people seem to like it.

i can’t eat it lol

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 11, 2023

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
we should go back to coal tar

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hed posted:

we should go back to coal tar

it’s still in shampoo