Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!
welcome to the 3ds thread. come talk about the hardware, software, homebrew and hacks for nintendo's last ds

if you need help modding your system, 3ds.hacks.guide has everything you need to get started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I hacked my 3ds and put a bunch of games on it and haven't played it since. I'd rather play games on the TV or computer :cheersdoge:

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!
here's my list of must plays for the console. the 3ds has a gigantic library of fantastic games and youre bound to find something to enjoy, especially if you like rpgs or platformers.

kid icarus uprising
sega 3d classics space harrier, outrun, streets of rage 1 2 and 3, galaxy force ii
super mario 3d land
dragon quest vii & viii
shin megami tensei iv
steel empire
ridge racer 3d
animal crossing new leaf

definitely missing games, feel free to add on

dookieblunt fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 8, 2023

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

picross 3d round 2 is my favorite picross game. mh4u.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

tawal posted:

picross 3d round 2 is my favorite picross game. mh4u.

try the jpn only club nintendo picross games, theres translations for both of them

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I tried using my old 3ds again recently and was pretty sad to find out that the stick was all hosed up, which is a shame since it was the cool link between worlds promo 3ds

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Plebian Parasite posted:

I tried using my old 3ds again recently and was pretty sad to find out that the stick was all hosed up, which is a shame since it was the cool link between worlds promo 3ds

combo of smash and mh4u murdered the thumb stick on my first 3ds. gave me an excuse to upgrade to a new at least

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I wonder how hard it would be to replace since I'm pretty partial to that 3ds in particular

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Plebian Parasite posted:

I wonder how hard it would be to replace since I'm pretty partial to that 3ds in particular

its pretty trivial, you can do it yourself with the right tools

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The 3d worked so good on the new3dsxl. I'm actually sad that they didn't carry that technology forward with the switch, i get motion sick with VR and I'm too broke to afford it anyway.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

uncreativename
Jul 30, 2013

when I had a 3ds i mostly just used it to play theatrhythm: curtain call and harvest moon for gameboy from the eshop. good times

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The 3DS is a contender for best console of all time in my opinion, tons of killer games. I've probably played it as much as or more than any of my other systems over the last two years. Sucks that they shut down the eShop a couple weeks ago but I guess they're easy enough to hack.

A few other killer games that didn't get mentioned are Fantasy Life, Bravely Default, A Link Between Worlds, Kirby: Planet Robobot, and Fire Emblems Awakening and Fates: Conquest (NOT the other two Fates!!). And I've still got several games that I'm looking forward to but haven't gotten around to yet.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The 3DS is a contender for best console of all time in my opinion, tons of killer games. I've probably played it as much as or more than any of my other systems over the last two years. Sucks that they shut down the eShop a couple weeks ago but I guess they're easy enough to hack.

A few other killer games that didn't get mentioned are Fantasy Life, Bravely Default, A Link Between Worlds, Kirby: Planet Robobot, and Fire Emblems Awakening and Fates: Conquest (NOT the other two Fates!!). And I've still got several games that I'm looking forward to but haven't gotten around to yet.

kirby was great on the system, with the entire backlog of gba and ds games its the best way to experience most of what kirby has to offer

Cousin Foomin
Feb 21, 2018

Sadly, I could never use the 3D slider on my 3DS because I would get motion sick.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cousin Foomin posted:

Sadly, I could never use the 3D slider on my 3DS because I would get motion sick.

same but a wicked bad migraine

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

This. Godlike system but the 3D even on the New model just doesn’t work with my eyes

uncreativename
Jul 30, 2013

oh right i forgot about a link between worlds. that game was great too

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Fungah! posted:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I bought one at launch and Nintendo eventually apologized about having no games for it by giving everyone who bought it a ton of free virtual console games.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I have the Link Between Worlds special edition 3DS. I also never really used the 3D slider, but that's because I had to hold the system at an odd angle to get it to work.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

As a power gamer, I valued increased battery life over a 3d effect

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I love 3d horseshit and kept the slider at max at all times

uncreativename
Jul 30, 2013

Plebian Parasite posted:

As a power gamer, I valued increased battery life over a 3d effect

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

dookieblunt posted:

really? ifixit said it was difficult so I immediately decided not to try.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Metal Gear Solid 3DS was only worth it with a hacked New 3DS and utilizing the extra clock speed, which made it far more playable

Loved my 3DS. I took it with me on several trips internationally, including Japan, so my street pass has a ridiculous number of places represented. I'm still bummed the Switch didn't get a similar feature.

Having backwards compatibility with DS games was great too, I was able to play through those Dragon Quest ports and it was the first time I beat DQV which is just an incredible game. The first time I ever played and beat Xenoblade Chronicles was also on it and having such a big jrpg on-the-go was cool. Didn't have any interest in the others in the series because I preferred the visual design of the original versus the sequels and remaster, and I have such good memories traveling with that first game

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

dookieblunt posted:

...who's rereg did you say you were?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i have the NES special edition O3DS XL and it's pretty sweet. i don't really use it much these days but i played shitloads of mario kart online as one does. i also enjoyed playing RE: Revelations with the circle pad pro

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

ominous lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Plebian Parasite posted:

lmao

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

never had a 3DS. which one should I buy if the only handhelds I’ve had were GB, GBC, GBA, and the switch?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

right arm posted:

never had a 3DS. which one should I buy if the only handhelds I’ve had were GB, GBC, GBA, and the switch?

new 3ds no question

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I always appreciate how durable Nintendo consoles are in general, but I'm especially appreciative of the 3DS's now as I'm sure my daughters are going to be playing it as they get older. It will be nice to give them something of their own without worrying about it immediately falling apart.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

my morning jackass posted:

I bought one at launch and Nintendo eventually apologized about having no games for it by giving everyone who bought it a ton of free virtual console games.

my friend had one of those "ambassador" systems and it gave you like 5 gba games

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Fungah! posted:

new 3ds no question

new xl. bigger screen, bigger system helps with hand cramps. one downside is no face plates but theres enough special edition xls to satisfy your needs

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!
i own a new non xl and my hands hurt for like 30 minutes after every session, but the faceplates are cool and i wish there was a bigger community for making customs

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fungah! posted:

ominous lol

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I just recently made a list of my favorite 3ds games:

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

SMT4 & 4a
Strange Journey
Soul Hackers
DQ8
Kirby Robobot
Mario 3d Land
Etrian Odyssey 4
EO Nexus
Persona Q

I would also add Pocket Card Jockey to the list

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fungah! posted:

ominous lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncreativename
Jul 30, 2013

I still need to beat smt4a, but smt4 was amazing. i didn't know anything about it going in, so when i opened up the door to tokyo it was an amazing feeling.

Another one I forgot, I spent a lot of time with Style Savvy: Fashion Forward. You run a fashion boutique. really chill and fun. It's developed by Syn Sophia, formerly known as AKI Corporation