Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Das Boo posted:

I don't read much fiction because the author can gently caress it on the last page and then I've lost days on something I ended up hating. At least if poo poo goes bad on the last page of a nonfiction book, them's just the facts.

But mostly gently caress you, Stephen King. Learn to end a goddamn story.

King is a hack. Thankfully I recognized that early and have read very little from him.

Piers Anthony, on the other hand, I read way too much of before realizing he was a lovely author and a lovely person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Bible invented the listicle

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
if you dont read a book your doomed to repeat it

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

King is a hack. Thankfully I recognized that early and have read very little from him.

Piers Anthony, on the other hand, I read way too much of before realizing he was a lovely author and a lovely person.

I love horror and read about everything in King's catalogue in middle school. I had a few lessons in not trusting fiction authors before that (It was all a dream!), but that fucker really cemented it. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was pretty good, though. He can only write children decently; all his adults are miserable, hateful self-inserts.

Oof, Piers Anthony. There's this weird thing I get sometimes where I'm like, "I know this author doesn't know me from dick, but I'm pretty sure he hates me?" That's Anthony for me.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Stephen King wrote The Library Policeman, put his typewriter down, and called his publisher and said "I've got a new one for you, get this:"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

OP, forums threads are basically equivalent to pop-up books for children, except its just a man showing you his anus instead of cute puppies.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You can get a pretty decent education reading road signs and various stickers on fruit without spending money on "books"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was raised by Far Side anthologies and cereal boxes

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

I love horror and read about everything in King's catalogue in middle school. I had a few lessons in not trusting fiction authors before that (It was all a dream!), but that fucker really cemented it. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was pretty good, though. He can only write children decently; all his adults are miserable, hateful self-inserts.

Do you or anyone else here have any good recommendations? The last two books I got recommended didn't do it for me, which were China Miéville's Pedidro Street Station and The Croning by Laird Barron. The ending of PSS skeezed me out (not in a good way) and The Croning, which was alright, but there is some hilariously written Mexicans at one point which made it difficult to take the rest of the book seriously.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

StoryTime posted:

if you dont read a book your doomed to repeat it

The username and post combo of the century

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm not gonna let this stand OP. You better watch your back.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Don't judge a book by its cover! Okay if it has 3 swastikas on the cover then maybe.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I've read several books based on their covers and recommend the practice.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't even own a lectern

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

kntfkr posted:

I've read several books based on their covers and recommend the practice.

You go into bookstores and libraries and just pick up books based on what's on the cover? Sounds based, I have to try this out.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
It’s not what you know, it’s who you know

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Theres no ad's while you read a book and afaik they dont end with the author asking you to like them or sign up their patreon. You dont get a picture on every page of the author following you through the story, thanking their subscribers for bits in the most annoying voice possible. OTOH there is Stephen King.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

A lot of people I know who are self-described "book lovers" just read a lot of really poo poo fantasy and never touched anything resembling non-fiction out of fear of being slightly bored and being reminded of reality they're dwelling in

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Hell, you think that's weird? I've never even written a book.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

laserghost posted:

A lot of people I know who are self-described "book lovers" just read a lot of really poo poo fantasy and never touched anything resembling non-fiction out of fear of being slightly bored and being reminded of reality they're dwelling in

what a weird hill to die on

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

laserghost posted:

They say they like movies but they never watch documentaries, fake movie lovers!!!!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Leper Go-getter posted:

Theres no ad's while you read a book and afaik they dont end with the author asking you to like them or sign up their patreon. You dont get a picture on every page of the author following you through the story, thanking their subscribers for bits in the most annoying voice possible. OTOH there is Stephen King.

I read on a kindle and they ask for a rating and shill their social media at the end of the book

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I read on a kindle and they ask for a rating and shill their social media at the end of the book

Yeah, I'm sure they have or will have ways to detect your emotional state while reading certain passages from your tablet camera and they'll collect that data too to factor into future book products.

I like reading regular books, I find things don't generally stick as well in my memory if I'm reading something on kindle.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

thin blue whine posted:

Do you or anyone else here have any good recommendations? The last two books I got recommended didn't do it for me, which were China Miéville's Pedidro Street Station and The Croning by Laird Barron. The ending of PSS skeezed me out (not in a good way) and The Croning, which was alright, but there is some hilariously written Mexicans at one point which made it difficult to take the rest of the book seriously.

kings short story collections are dece. try skeleton crew.

Verimus
Oct 1, 2009
That's why you don't know who Paul Blart is

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Trying posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to blood bookshed

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

couldn't cut it as a poor man stealin'

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

Stephen King wrote The Library Policeman, put his typewriter down, and called his publisher and said "I've got a new one for you, get this:"

quote:

Sam Peebles is a local businessman asked to give a speech to the Rotary Club. To do research for his speech, Sam goes to the local library to rent books. When there, he realizes that he has not been to a library in many years. He meets the librarian Ardelia Lortz, who warns him to return his books on time or face the wrath of the Library Policeman. Later, Sam's assistant Naomi tells him that Ardelia Lortz is dead and is an old legend in the town. Sam learns her story through the words of her former lover and finds that Ardelia Lortz was a horrible creature who fed on the fear of children. This struggle with a monster throws Sam back into an experience he had when he last visited a library as a child. To defeat the evil Ardelia and survive, Sam must face the horror of his childhood and defeat the Library Policeman forever.

What the gently caress he already wrote this book

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Smugworth posted:

wait what?? that's real? lol. drat i love stephen king.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I read through the kindle app, and yeah i forgot about the star rating thing.
Know what, one time I finished a book and the whole credits and rating thing went up and I shut it down as usual. But there was an addition, like an extra end chapter addendum and i only caught it becouse I went back to the book to find the next one in the series. Stupid kindle.

I am a lowborn fantasy genre consumer.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

laserghost posted:

lol they're all just books, next you'll be telling people to listen to classical music like some kind of nerd

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I read textbooks and historical treatises by old white men only :agesilaus:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

thin blue whine posted:

Eeegh, nothing too new I can think of. Part of my aversion to fiction is that I don't read much outside of classic poo poo because I figure it's either A) A classic because it's good or B) It'll fun to know the cultural relevance. My favorite is The Haunting of Hill House. Shirley Jackson can write a phone book and make it mesmerizing and I highly recommend her short stories even though most aren't horror. Speaking of short stories, I liked The Black Phone by King's son, lol.

Not horror but with horror elements, I really liked A Boy's Life and The Alienist. Nonfiction but essentially horror, Isaac's Storm and The Forsaken: An American Tragedy in Stalin's Russia kicked motherfucking rear end.

I listen to a lot of short stories by indie authors while working, but I think all those get classified as creepypastas now whether they're meant to be or not.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

TK8325 posted:

wait what?? that's real? lol. drat i love stephen king.

Wait til you read the full thing and realize what his "traumatic" experience was lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I read a book a week at minimum OP but a lot of it has been insane dogshit

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Jelly posted:

Oh cool, the thread version of this

what? lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, I'm sure they have or will have ways to detect your emotional state while reading certain passages from your tablet camera and they'll collect that data too to factor into future book products.

me @ ur posts

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Don't believe everything that you read
get a parking violation and a maggot on your sleave
~ Kanyte West

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Smugworth posted:

I've recently watched several film adaptations of 40s era horror short stories and this reads like every one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graveyard_Rats

A cemetary caretaker named Old Masson has a side business of robbing graves, except recently the rats have started robbing graves before he can, so he wages war against the rats and takes the fight to their home turf, except whoops outta nowhere there's a burrowing zombie that chases him into a grave where he dies. Also the reason he robs graves is because he owes gambling debts to the mafia or something?