Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I read a book a week at minimum OP but a lot of it has been insane dogshit

Same especially most capital-L-Literary fiction, usually about bored person who wants to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I read a book last week and it was boring. I’m reading a book this week and it’s boring too. Don’t never read a book waist of time

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I have had Three Body Problem for a few years and I think the time to crack it open is coming soon

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

I hear this hook every time I see the phrase "read a book"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've recently watched several film adaptations of 40s era horror short stories and this reads like every one of them

I doubt they had King's completely hosed up detailed explicit child anal rape scenes in the 40s era short stories

Stephen King is a creep irl, much like his books, he sucks

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters is an awesome book

https://www.amazon.ca/Legend-10-Elemental-Masters/dp/0615348130

quote:

Nick Smith's "The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters" is a captivating and thrilling journey into a world where magic and friendship converge. This enchanting book is the perfect blend of adventure, suspense, and heartwarming moments. It is a tale of bravery, loyalty, and the power of friendship that will leave readers of all ages breathless and eager for more.

Smith's world-building is exceptional. The rich tapestry of his fantasy realm is brought to life with vivid descriptions and immersive detail. The intricacies of each of the ten elements - Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Light, Darkness, Time, Space, Life, and Death - are explored masterfully, as the reader is swept away into the incredible world of elemental magic. The elements are not just superficial aspects of the story; they are integral to the plot and the development of the characters.

The true strength of this novel, however, lies in the diverse and lovable cast of characters. Each of the ten Elemental Masters is unique, with their own distinct personalities, strengths, and weaknesses. As the story unfolds, the reader becomes deeply invested in their struggles, triumphs, and personal growth. The characters feel real and their interactions are genuine, reflecting the complexities of friendships and rivalries. The bond between the ten Elemental Masters is heartwarming, and the lengths they go to in order to protect and support one another is truly inspiring.

The plot is fast-paced, full of twists and turns, as the Elemental Masters embark on a quest to save their world from an ancient and powerful enemy. Nick Smith's storytelling keeps readers on the edge of their seats, as each new challenge and revelation propels the story forward. The stakes are high, but the hope and courage of our heroes shine through in every page.

One of the most remarkable aspects of "The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters" is the way Smith weaves themes of friendship, loyalty, and personal growth into the fabric of the story. The characters not only grow as individuals, but also as a team, showing that the true power of the elements lies in the connections we forge with others.

In conclusion, "The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters" is a must-read for fans of fantasy and adventure. Nick Smith has created a masterful tale that will captivate readers and transport them to a world filled with magic, wonder, and unforgettable characters. This book is a shining example of the power of storytelling and is sure to become a classic for generations to come.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I read a book every two days

I drink em at 100 pages an hour.

But gently caress did das Kapital vol 1-3 take a long time. Just the wording wasn't flowing well. Prolly because it's 1800s German to English translation.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Konar posted:

you can read the last few paragraphs of any book and get the gist of it

Amen.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
You should read Dune OP

Not a bad way to start since you probably play video games

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Spinz posted:

You should read Dune OP

also everyone should experience reading the word beefswelling with no preparation or warning

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I visited this apartment that had been turned into a museum since a prominent Finnish statesman had lived there, and he was a patron of the arts so there were a bunch of paintings and sculptures and stuff. There was a well stocked reading room in the apartment, and I took my time checking out the books the guy had collected. I spotted no less than three copies of Mein Kampf.

Okay.

Having one copy would make sense if you had an interest in literature, since it was, you know, an influential book during the time he lived. Being a Finnish politician during the second world war, it wouldn't be a far reached guess that a second copy of the book was gifted to him. He wouldn't have been in a position to decline the gift. Three copies though? I'm sorry but if you have three copies of Mein Kampf in your bookshelf that just makes you a nazi. I think here's a hard limit of inexcusability when it comes to owning multiple copies of Mein Kampf, and I think the limit is at 3.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
One time I read a bunch of articles in different magazine issues and it turned out they tricked me into reading a book over a series of months. drat you Charles Dickens!

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

StoryTime posted:

I visited this apartment that had been turned into a museum since a prominent Finnish statesman had lived there, and he was a patron of the arts so there were a bunch of paintings and sculptures and stuff. There was a well stocked reading room in the apartment, and I took my time checking out the books the guy had collected. I spotted no less than three copies of Mein Kampf.

Okay.

Having one copy would make sense if you had an interest in literature, since it was, you know, an influential book during the time he lived. Being a Finnish politician during the second world war, it wouldn't be a far reached guess that a second copy of the book was gifted to him. He wouldn't have been in a position to decline the gift. Three copies though? I'm sorry but if you have three copies of Mein Kampf in your bookshelf that just makes you a nazi. I think here's a hard limit of inexcusability when it comes to owning multiple copies of Mein Kampf, and I think the limit is at 3.

It's like telling one uncle you like hedgehogs as a kid. Next thing you know you get hedgehog crap for the next 25 years for Christmas. But with hatred instead of hedgehogs.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Spinz posted:

You should read Dune OP

I bought Dune on a summer abroad thing in Paris in 2006 (partly cuz of the great cover, green and black - very understated for Dune) and I finished it on the plane ride home and I loved it.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Spinz posted:

You should read Dune OP

I don’t play video games I watch sports on tv

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kntfkr posted:

Don't believe everything that you read
get a parking violation and a maggot on your sleave
~ Kanyte West

I miss that thread

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

laserghost posted:

A lot of people I know who are self-described "book lovers" just read a lot of really poo poo fantasy and never touched anything resembling non-fiction out of fear of being slightly bored and being reminded of reality they're dwelling in

:jerkbag:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I miss that thread

it was a pretty funny thread op

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

*me casually reading Kafkas Metamorphosis*

AVOIDING THE HORRORS OF REALITY WITH SOME BANAL FICTION AGAIN ARE WE?????

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

thin blue whine posted:

Do you or anyone else here have any good recommendations? The last two books I got recommended didn't do it for me, which were China Miéville's Pedidro Street Station and The Croning by Laird Barron. The ending of PSS skeezed me out (not in a good way) and The Croning, which was alright, but there is some hilariously written Mexicans at one point which made it difficult to take the rest of the book seriously.

Have you read any of Paul Tremblay's books? I read Survivor Song, The Cabin at the End of the World, and A Head Full of Ghosts (that one still haunts me) last October based on goon recommendation for spooky books and enjoyed them.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tarkus posted:

The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters is an awesome book

https://www.amazon.ca/Legend-10-Elemental-Masters/dp/0615348130

7 samurai but with 3 more plus they're all wizards sound rad

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Everyone that knows how to read has read at least one godamned book in their lives why would you even claim this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

I don’t play video games I watch sports on tv

Pff, I don't even own a Sport