Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Tumble posted:

Not Ruffalo, but him getting iced so matter-of-factly is a great moment too

I'm talking about the fbi guy who gets shot a few seconds after where I've linked here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFwTw0Z6nM&t=107s

I think you're talking about Bruce McGill, who is one of my favorite That Guy actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Remulak posted:

One thing not mentioned here is Mann’s consistently pushing the technical envelope on night scenes. One of the weaknesses of Miami Vice (IMO) is that it didn’t quite make it; the digital camera he used didn’t have the contrast and did some odd poo poo. I remember the skies bing really blown out and distracting. That was a world I was deep in at the time though, Mann doesn’t do much by accident and if you didn’t know what was going on it may have worked.

Miami Vice and Apocalypto were shot around the same time and were both really early examples of films shot entirely on digital. It's incredible how much better Apocalypto looked than Miami Vice, and how amazing it still looks nearly 20 years into digital cinematography. That Viper camera Mann used just looked like poo poo.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

sad question posted:

It's pretty good. Blue filter and voice overs are removed and it has a different ending. But the main difference is how Porter comes off as a character. He's a really nasty and sociopathic piece of poo poo. It's been a while since I saw theatrical cut but I remember him coming off a lot more human in that. The neat thing is how this change is achieved almost entirely by editing choices, since the movie plays out the same in both versions (except the endings).

You're right about minimal editing making a big difference. Two instances I can think of off the top of my head are:

1) At the beginning where he steals from the "crippled" homeless guy. In the theatrical cut, the music's lighter, the shot of Porter choking the guy is shorter, and there's an ADR line of "Hey, I cured ya!" as a joke in reference to the guy being able to stand up and walk. In the director's cut, the choking shot is longer, the music is more downbeat, and there's no dialogue at all. It just shows what a brutal rear end in a top hat Porter is.

2) At the ending of the James Coburn scene, where he asks Porter if he's doing it for "The principle of it, or something?" In the theatrical cut, Porter jokingly teases "Stop it, I'm getting misty" to keep up the levity of that version. In the director's cut, he just bluntly says "No, I just want my money back."

Bip Roberts posted:

Watch Point Blank, it's an earlier adaptation of The Hunter.

Also do this.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Rascar Capac posted:

*every character from every Michael Mann film comes in with everything for a HUGE party*

I wanna hang out with two Dennis Farinas.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

The Brabant Killers

French Wikipedia provides some more details as well

:shrug: It kinda seems like some Belgium Gendarmes got absolutely tweaked out of their minds and went on a rampage

Oh man, that's pretty interesting. I thought OP was talking about Nokas, which was about a real life heist in Norway perpetrated by former military members (and the movie was directed by the guy who did the original Insomnia).