Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Now there's an AI that's going to kill all humans!

I hope we someday flash back to the meeting where the engineers presented their "grotesquely pregnant woman with a Zaku helmet" concept.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ganja saves the day again

This show sure loves its chase scenes. I don't mind long as they look this good.

The small comedic bits like w the shop capt and his brother really hit, lots of good work is done to humanize the story in both settings.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
the small animation ticks in this show are really good at humanizing the character. stuff like tokio's eyes darting around when talkin about her feelings in episode 4 come to mind. most shows wouldnt bother animating minor movements like that but it goes a long way. also i appreciate the story having proper pacing and not just exposition dumping the plot in the first episode like so many other animes. each episode so far does a good job at casually revealing new information while also setting up more unanswered questions

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 24, 2023

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The monster fights and post-apoc travelogues and mysteries are all good fun, but give me a series about the Electro-Kart racing league.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Agree the animation in this show as been top notch.

I was definitely reading it as Tokio was using a power to manipulate the surveillance equipment, but that doesn't account for the weird shower photo. Maybe you guys are right that the AI is manipulating things?

I have no idea what is going on in this show but I'm loving it.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Ibblebibble posted:

The kids in Heaven, one can crawl up walls and one doesn't show up on cameras. The Maneaters on the outside, one can crawl up walls and one doesn't show up on cameras... Coincidence? Maybe.

Which monster didn't show up on cameras? I don't remember anything like that

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The one in Kiruko's flashback had optical camo, which wasn't what was happening with Tokio but is close enough I can see the confusion.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 25, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Five episodes already, and the animation continues to be good, nice. Also, we have some scenes that flesh out our characters, and the mystery continues in interesting ways. Good series.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
More evidence of the the events in the dome are happening in the past theory, I think.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

I can't tell if I like or am uncomfortable with how this show is handling sexuality (as in people being sexual beings not sexual orientation). On the one hand it's cool that it's actually treating it as a real thing that exists unlike most anime, on the other hand the characters are rather young. Also Maru, learn the meaning of affirmative consent bro.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Can anyone recommend me series that are similar to this? Like a post-apocalyptic world with some kind of mystery hunting going on?

I know about 7 seeds.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Check out Dead Dead Demon's De De De De Destruction. It's more mid-apocalypse than post-apocalypse but there's definitely mysteries behind it even if the greater focus is on kids getting by day-to-day as things get steadily worse.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Today's episode was good, reinforcing the notion that is the the best anime of the season.

They never explained what it seems conflicted versions of what we are been told between how 'evil' (or not) were the people at the hospital. What the leader of the white shirts movement was different to what we saw. It dawned on me that even we aren't told, it's easy to imagine surely it's a continuation of the theme of delusions:she came to the hospital with her leg in a much worse state than we are told in the previous episode, and it had to be amputed, that's why she got a prosthesis. But she is in denial.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm bad with mystery series, and i had the feeling I was missing something, so I rewatched pieces of the last episodes. First, I had missed a post-ending scene at the end of ep 6 (Iops!) where they show how the short-hair girl is bonking already. Rewinding even more, in the previous episode she was puking in the bathroom (she thought she was ill like the children who had died already). Which... it could be she is already pregnant, instead. Given with the similarity of her looks with our current protagonist, it makes me think she is her mother, that's the relation. So that confirms it's the past/the origin of all what happened theory.

Once it's established that's the past, of maybe 16-20 years ago, I thought the silver haired guy who commit suicide, who had a crow pin like the laser pistol, and who is older, could be someone already shown in that past. Then in the ending I noticed:

It's this guy!
Even more, the girl who he loved, she could be the same woman who they just killed! At least she has the same eye color. I thought the ending on the last episode with the ominous dream she has was weird, with no connection to the rest of the episode, but the placement of the scene would make sense if that theory is right. The dream indicates how the sickness is slowly advancing in her body.

So I guess now every time they show a middle aged person in the show with some possible relation to the main plot, it could be one of the teenagers of the past.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 21, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The boy and Dr Usami share the same VA as well.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat i didnt catch any of that but it totaly makes sense since this later in the episode Usami says "it made her happy when he built things"

the 20 seconds shot of him breaking down and crying was brutal. the show can really go for the pathos when it wants to

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 22, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Nice detective work. The ending of that episode made it clear there was some kind of direct link but they did a good job obscuring it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
thinkin about it more i suppose this also explains the ending scene of mimihimes dream, the "cave" being a premonitions of her future disease and meeting maru (who she mistakes as his mother) whos there to kill her

lol lookin back at the first 30 sec of ep1 now, ya that has to be it

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Good episode. This show knows how to let a slower episode breath. Spoiler talk Doesn't the eye color not match for the Silverhair'd teen? Since she's supposed to have taken one of his eyes?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Anyone is reading the manga? I know it's still in progress. What i want to know is an estimation of how much story will not be covered, given the anime will end on episode 13.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Turin Turambar posted:

speculation stuff

drat, didn't think of that but it definitely makes sense

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Anyone is reading the manga? I know it's still in progress. What i want to know is an estimation of how much story will not be covered, given the anime will end on episode 13.

Looks like the anime will probably cover the first 30-35 chapters, leaving around 20-25 chapters unadapted.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Looks like the anime will probably cover the first 30-35 chapters, leaving around 20-25 chapters unadapted.

Thanks for the info.

I had the manga already on my 'wish list' (and the Insomnia manga who also has an anime running this season too), that I have for stuff that looks like something I'd like, but that at this point in my life, I try to avoid starting ongoing mangas, because who knows if they will need 20 years more to finish.
Hell, I have another list of already finished manga pending to read.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I kind of suspect that some people might be mentioning stuff from manga knowledge. It's impossible to prove either way, but I'd discourage anyone who is feeling the temptation to do that (and maybe rationalizing it to themselves as "well you could technically figure this out") from doing so.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thoren posted:

Can anyone recommend me series that are similar to this? Like a post-apocalyptic world with some kind of mystery hunting going on?

I know about 7 seeds.

Shinsekai Yori / From the New World is similar in a lot of ways, and fantastic.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thoren posted:

I know about 7 seeds.

Nausicaa?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Thoren posted:

I know about 7 seeds.

another vote for shinsekai yori. i was actually just about to ask if i was the only one who got a /lot/ of shinsekai yori vibes from this show, in many ways.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I dunno I absolutely love Shinseki Yori but it’s dark and depressing and bleak as hell. Ten Goku’s, while there is heavy and even dark stuff, does not have that kind of soul crushing existential despair permeating every scene. On the contrary, the apocalypse sometimes feels downright comfy and there are signs of hope and happiness all around to balance out the quadriplegic body horror. Where SSY the few things that seem like they might not be horrible, are all lies and honeypots meant to trick you into lowering your guard.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

galagazombie posted:

I dunno I absolutely love Shinseki Yori but it’s dark and depressing and bleak as hell. Ten Goku’s, while there is heavy and even dark stuff, does not have that kind of soul crushing existential despair permeating every scene. On the contrary, the apocalypse sometimes feels downright comfy and there are signs of hope and happiness all around to balance out the quadriplegic body horror. Where SSY the few things that seem like they might not be horrible, are all lies and honeypots meant to trick you into lowering your guard.

i meant a lot of aesthetic and thematic elements, generally. not necessarily a mirror image in tone, but Tengoku kind of does the lighthearted joy into extreme dread thing quite often which is something Shinsekai Yori does as well in the childhood->young teen time period specifically. the kind of painful longing and horniness that's kind of pervasive through both. the thematic elements of innocence and how society shapes behavior are very forward (if not forefront) in both. the general malaise and destruction of the old world and reshaping of the new. the themes of a hidden history or reality to protect or shape the thoughts of children and adolescence, themes that the dogged enemies of society/humanity are created both overtly and as outgrowth or symptomatically

after thinking about it, it actually has a lot more in common than I previously thought

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Thoren posted:

I know about 7 seeds.

Even if the world is over it's fun to live
Usuzumi no Hate

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Thanks guys I will read/watch all of those and hopefully enjoy them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Episode 9.

Alien-kun, or better said, Asura, confused me. It appeared before in episode 6, it what it seemed a dream. But it seems it's a real character. In that scene he also disappeared mysteriously, now with what we see in this episode, I think that's ESP, it was an astral projection or whatever, that's why the camera didn't record it, it wasn't because the AI was faking the image before disconnecting them. For a second I thought maybe it was a delusion from the boy, Kona, but the other children stare at it.
Of course, I wonder if Asura is a clue of all the children being hybrid dna of human/alien, with Asura having more and the more normal ones having less. Which would explain the ESP or super athletic powers, or teeth that grow back, or the nursery with the hosed up weird babies.
The suicide scene was creepy, and it wasn't the first one to do it, so I wonder what's the reason.

I get the feeling from the 3 theories of the cataclysm, the second and third one are partially right, or at least they have tidbits of truth.

I imagine Takahara Academy being a branch office, a fake front for the real center.

BTW, I don't know what the researched saw in Tokio to think to do a medical checkup.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Turin Turambar posted:

Episode 9.

BTW, I don't know what the researched saw in Tokio to think to do a medical checkup.

It's hard to tell because of anime, but because they're monitoring the kids everyday, the researcher noticed that she had a very slight pudge on her stomach, and she shouldn't be getting fat. That's why they did the tests to see if she was pregnant.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Julias posted:

It's hard to tell because of anime, but because they're monitoring the kids everyday, the researcher noticed that she had a very slight pudge on her stomach, and she shouldn't be getting fat. That's why they did the tests to see if she was pregnant.

/rewatches the scene.

Oh that's right. With the dark swimsuit, I didn't notice at first glance.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lol loss.jpg

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Just caught up and I am loving the theories and Sherlock-ing of the mystery Turin Turambar is doing. I personally suck at figuring out anything when it comes to mysteries; most of the time I just let them play out and am always surprised at the twists and endings. Even lovely mysteries have me going for a loop, ending with me basically doing this face: :stonklol:

The only thing I figured out, because this always seems to happen when any media shows girls/women having sex, is that pregnancy was going to occur. When the frame showed her diving into the pool, I caught the pudge and just rolled my eyes.

I do appreciate the notion that even if these kids are experiments by the higher-ups and apparently bred to be innocent, emerging sexuality occurs either way. What is she, 14-15? That's about the age hormones are starting to go wacky. It wouldn't surprise me if they had sex completely from exploring each other, sans knowledge. I have no idea why the Director was so aghast at the happening.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Really good episode this week, so many fun animation flourishes.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

boarded/directed by kai ikarashi, usually of trigger but they dont have a show this year so we get him here instead

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ikarashi eps of stuff are always so raw. Very triggeresque character expression work here.

Biggest question I'm left with here is whether dude and his baby will be factoring in again later or if that's the last we see of them. Latter's spookier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Tales of Woe posted:

boarded/directed by kai ikarashi, usually of trigger but they dont have a show this year so we get him here instead

I did not like how that episode was animated at all, and I don't really like Trigger so that explains it.