Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Personally i liked the animation style, but i can understand not liking the more goofy expressions and animation in a show that has generally been way more realistically animated.

Still my favorite show of the season so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Julias posted:

Personally i liked the animation style, but i can understand not liking the more goofy expressions and animation in a show that has generally been way more realistically animated.

Still my favorite show of the season so far.

It felt very choppy too, I wasn't sure at first if I was having loading issues on Hulu or not.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah there were a couple of weird bits like that early on, but i felt it smoothed out by the time we got in the car heading to the facility

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Watched it. That looked Trigger-esque... oh wait, I'm late to the party. I see.

Well, that was a standout episode, not in the 'mystery' but in between the animation and the emotional rollercoaster, that was plenty. I gasped at the end, i have to confess. so I get the boy with cold powers, and by extension anyone with powers (both the ones in the flashback and the co-protagonist) and the Hirukos/maneaters are somehow related. I think we already had some inkling of this relationship existing from the previous episodes, but they have made it more explicit it now by showing both a human and a monster having the exact the same power, both in a nearby location. In fact now I wonder who of the two is the 'origin', was the monster inadvertently summoned by the baby with powers, was the monster a human with powers who 'evolved too much', in a Crononberg fashion? or is the other way around and the spider infected the chil with the same power? I understand that most probably, the mother was a kid from the academy?

Pan Dulce posted:

Just caught up and I am loving the theories and Sherlock-ing of the mystery Turin Turambar is doing. I personally suck at figuring out anything when it comes to mysteries; most of the time I just let them play out and am always surprised at the twists and endings. Even lovely mysteries have me going for a loop, ending with me basically doing this face: :stonklol:

The only thing I figured out, because this always seems to happen when any media shows girls/women having sex, is that pregnancy was going to occur. When the frame showed her diving into the pool, I caught the pudge and just rolled my eyes.

I do appreciate the notion that even if these kids are experiments by the higher-ups and apparently bred to be innocent, emerging sexuality occurs either way. What is she, 14-15? That's about the age hormones are starting to go wacky. It wouldn't surprise me if they had sex completely from exploring each other, sans knowledge. I have no idea why the Director was so aghast at the happening.

I'm usually bad a it too, but I think since episode 1 I had the feeling the facility scenes were a flashback even if I didn't have concrete evidence, but from a 'meta-narrative' perspective it all fit better that way, as a way to show the origin of everything including the cataclysm, and it would explain why they have better tech, etc. So from the start I had been looking at the story from that perspective. Honestly I was just lucky while i was re-watching some parts of the previous episodes, I literally freeze framed while scrolling on the correct face. It wasn't until the next episode i noticed the thing with the logo wasn't a pin or a coin, but a button from the academy.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 4, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The kid's mom(s) are probably the two girls in the academy who were caught kissing in episode 2, they have the same hair colours.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ibblebibble posted:

The kid's mom(s) are probably the two girls in the academy who were caught kissing in episode 2, they have the same hair colours.

That and The Spider monster is wearing one of the little power ranger charms the three parents shared. If the girl turning into a monster from the previous episode was indeed Mimihime which means the academy kids get monsteritis… And since the spider monster turned up right after the mom died… yeah. Boy inherited his moms ice powers though is thankfully not a giant spider. I suppose at least the mom got vengeance and freed her son

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Tales of Woe posted:

boarded/directed by kai ikarashi, usually of trigger but they dont have a show this year so we get him here instead

this show continues to be an incredible blessing in ways i don't expect

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the static shot jump cut stuff was cool, i wonder if this 2 second scene is going to get cleaned up someday though

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

galagazombie posted:

That and The Spider monster is wearing one of the little power ranger charms the three parents shared.

poo poo, do you have a timestamp for that? I can't find the scene where it is seen. I knew the little red charm was somehow important, it is shown in a few scenes, presented in stark red against a dark background:

but it didn't see anything relevant.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Big Leg posted:

the static shot jump cut stuff was cool, i wonder if this 2 second scene is going to get cleaned up someday though

That scene was weird because it isn't rough in the traditional animation sense, it's directly done in a different art style, like they were trying to be more experimental. But it's only 2 seconds long and the style is really different from the rest of the episode, so in the end it was a just... weird scene.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

poo poo, do you have a timestamp for that? I can't find the scene where it is seen. I knew the little red charm was somehow important, it is shown in a few scenes, presented in stark red against a dark background:

but it didn't see anything relevant.

I don't have a timestamp but it's seen during the sequence after the first freeze and they're going up the stairs, around that part.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

If that split-second moment with the ranger charms is right, my goodness, I never even got that! I assumed the moms were people from the academy, but the theory that they're those specific girls is interesting.

To contribute my own opinion on the show, I was flabbergasted by the ending going so dark. The little blood fleck on the child's cheek? For a second, I thought it might be signs of cancer/toxin/??? the kid in the academy who died had. But to find out its blood from the guy who was basically raising the toddler while the dad was away? Brutal. Not to mention coming from such a sunny, happy-to-finally-see-his-kid guy? Came out of left field! Really gave me baby Harrison with dead Rita from Dexter vibes.

I was amazed at the pathos they gave that little family. I mean, he was used as chattel, but he still formed what seems to be a solid relationship with the moms, even if there was a power imbalance. He actually cared when they died and really gave a poo poo about his missing son even if, for all good intentions, is a child of rape. Such complicated relationships with a lot of layers. To manage to fit all that in two half-hour episodes? Amazing.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
They also showed the fish with all the arms attacking the boat either right after or before showing Kano drawing it in the academy so I'm assuming it's linked to or is one of the kids there (maybe Kuku?). And we know the inn keeper's kid became a man-eater so maybe she was involved with the academy somehow too. Would be funny if this were like a reverse evangelion and instead of all the EVA's having a mom inside them all the hirukos had a kid inside them

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Timestamp is 7:33 (it's a very fast and short scene)

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
That's a really cool detail and I wonder if it's anime original because it would've been much easier to catch if it were a panel in the manga.

I really like this adaptation, probably my show of the season with it's original and compelling story, likable characters, and great art and animation that is willing to get weird at times. I only read the manga up until the flashback on the boat because I enjoyed the anime for And yet the town moves and it was certainly a departure but I still liked it back then, kind of just lost track of it as I got busy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Timestamp is 7:33 (it's a very fast and short scene)

So I imagine it's related to that mysterious alien-looking organ or egg that appeared when they cremated the sick kid. It eventually grows to a monster.

I also wonder how it all related to the cataclysm the human civilization suffered. A few dozens monsters (one per kid) shouldn't cause the destroyed cities we have seen. It could be normal human nuclear war started by a confusion between superpowers believing there was an alien invasion or they were new biological weapons sent by an enemy. Or it could be an 'Akira' case, where the experiments by pure chance made a kid not with some ESP, but with super-mega-ESP and things got out of hand.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 5, 2023

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

They also showed the fish with all the arms attacking the boat either right after or before showing Kano drawing it in the academy so I'm assuming it's linked to or is one of the kids there (maybe Kuku?). And we know the inn keeper's kid became a man-eater so maybe she was involved with the academy somehow too. Would be funny if this were like a reverse evangelion and instead of all the EVA's having a mom inside them all the hirukos had a kid inside them

Her kid didn’t become a man eater. He was eaten by one. Her thing was that she believed that her son was still conscious inside it after he was eaten.

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 5, 2023

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i cough the charm on the monsters leg but forgot about

Ibblebibble posted:

love how the show foreshadows stuff like this

edit: good possibility its them

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 5, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kuvo posted:

i cough the charm on the monsters leg but forgot about

love how the show foreshadows stuff like this

edit: good possibility its them

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the ages match up, those women look pretty young while the doctor from the last arc seemed middle aged.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 6, 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Great episode, the one thing I was confused on, did he kill the guy who raised his kid because he was the one who called out about the escape and thus got the Moms killed? What was the motivation there.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Talorat posted:

Great episode, the one thing I was confused on, did he kill the guy who raised his kid because he was the one who called out about the escape and thus got the Moms killed? What was the motivation there.

Yes that’s exactly what happened. And it’s horrible and bad but it’s completely understandable how he got in that mental state. Your friend sells you out and causes the loss and possible death of your own child, and takes from that child the chance of ever having a mother (who you yourself had some kind of bond with no matter how hosed up it was). Then you return after years of grief and find him living the high life and having “stolen” your son for himself.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I mean... snitches get stitches.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No discussion of the new episode? I just watched it. It was good, the episode most focused on the Facility until now. Lots of story progression. In two different points I had to rewind to make sure to get everything right!

-Was I wrong? There are a pair of mentions that imply how utterly broken the outside world is. So in the timeline they aren't a facility from before the cataclysm, but a few years after all started?
-The whole thing is cult-like, with the adults also talking of building a perfect 'Heaven' (lol) and having blind faith in the Director, in fact when the Director mentions her plan of doing a brain transplant into the other female Doctor, Miss Aoshima, and the guy asked 'did she consent?' made me think "wait, do you even contemplate the possibility of both parties being in agreement?" which makes me think it's all a secret scientist/military installation which in the apocalipse devolved into a Science Cult and some of the members may agree into donating their lives 'for the cause' which in this case would mean prolonging the life of the Founder, the Director. Now the title of the series is even more clear, the delusion of being able to build a Heaven on Earth, by a bunch of crazy people.
-The director was, to my surprise, much more crazy and evil, until now she seemed more restrained. Broken the chains of morality, hah, they are a bunch of crazy scientists that surely didn't have a lot of ethical checks before, and after the cataclysm, they went 'well, now everything goes'.
-They have some kind of combatant division, maybe they need to do 'raids' to the outside to get resources?
-To my surprise, this reveals too that brain transplants are a thing! So maybe I was wrong and they really transplanted the brain of Kiruko?

-Apart from the infodump, it had some good scenes, like these moments were creepy

-The writer is so cruel, Minihime's phobia seems to be coming from her future but she doesn't know. :(
-The younger researchers have their own plan too, although the guy seems reluctant to execute.
-At the same time, the AI, Mina, is also starting to execute her own plan (rewiring stuff with the Tech team, giving the speech to the children). The speech, in a way, could be considered about the 'long test' that is life. The AI calls them Hiruko, too. poo poo is going to hit the fan.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Turin Turambar posted:

No discussion of the new episode? I just watched it. It was good, the episode most focused on the Facility until now. Lots of story progression. In two different points I had to rewind to make sure to get everything right!

-Was I wrong? There are a pair of mentions that imply how utterly broken the outside world is. So in the timeline they aren't a facility from before the cataclysm, but a few years after all started?

I was wondering about this too. I believe Maru mentioned being 15 or 16 in the first episode, and it's been 15 years since the cataclysm, so (assuming that one of Tokio's babies is indeed Maru) the events in the facility would be happening before or around the cataclysm, which doesn't line up with the "broken world" line.

My personal guess is that she meant "broken" in a non-apocalyptic sense, like ravaged by war and/or governments collapsing, that sort of thing (didn't they mention at one point that the world was already going downhill before the apocalypse happened?).

Also yeah, the Hiruko comment all but confirms that the kids are future maneaters, and that probably means that sunglasses girl is the maneater they fought in the car park.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

We've now officially passed the point where I stopped reading the manga, so I'm going into the last couple of episodes completely blind.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

cave emperor posted:

Also yeah, the Hiruko comment all but confirms that the kids are future maneaters, and that probably means that sunglasses girl is the maneater they fought in the car park.

Ohh drat! I actually was looking attentively to their faces, if some of them appear in the next episode, but that makes sense...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

cave emperor posted:

I was wondering about this too. I believe Maru mentioned being 15 or 16 in the first episode, and it's been 15 years since the cataclysm, so (assuming that one of Tokio's babies is indeed Maru) the events in the facility would be happening before or around the cataclysm, which doesn't line up with the "broken world" line.

My personal guess is that she meant "broken" in a non-apocalyptic sense, like ravaged by war and/or governments collapsing, that sort of thing (didn't they mention at one point that the world was already going downhill before the apocalypse happened?).

The thing is, I was doubting because if they are some fanatics in a sect, they could be calling the 'outside world' as place 'full of chaos', even if it's just our normal modern world. But I think the story I half made up in my head makes sense: realistically, I can't see how someone would get all that tech, resources, etc and left alone doing what they want. It makes more sense if the cataclysm happened so that's why they are left on their own.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
my guess on that "outside world being broken" line is it implying something like a diplomatic breakdown before a nuclear war, as referenced by the story from Boar 11 as well as the nuclear sub on the book Maru was reading

Turin Turambar posted:

-The writer is so cruel, Minihime's phobia seems to be coming from her future but she doesn't know. :(

this is some hosed up feedback loop poo poo

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Turin Turambar posted:

The thing is, I was doubting because if they are some fanatics in a sect, they could be calling the 'outside world' as place 'full of chaos', even if it's just our normal modern world. But I think the story I half made up in my head makes sense: realistically, I can't see how someone would get all that tech, resources, etc and left alone doing what they want. It makes more sense if the cataclysm happened so that's why they are left on their own.

It's basically this, Takahara Academy is basically a cult running unethical superscience experiments. And the director is completely ruled by her emotions, her only purpose is to perpetuate her own power.

There are several levels of misdirection. First you had the Director early on calling the outside world a hell. Then you realize that the Academy storyline was set in the past, when things aren't great, but they're not terrible. Then when Kiruko and Maru reach the Takahara Academy branch office, they find their pamphlet and it is a load of drivel about unlocking your child's inner potential or something or whatever. Then you realize that this is all they are, they really are just a cult playing with forces they barely understand, calling everyone in their outgroup irredeemable denizens of hell, using messianic imagery from japanese folklore. And when their human guinea pigs break containment and transform into superhuman monsters, that's when you'll really get a hell.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

It's basically this, Takahara Academy is basically a cult running unethical superscience experiments. And the director is completely ruled by her emotions, her only purpose is to perpetuate her own power.

There are several levels of misdirection. First you had the Director early on calling the outside world a hell. Then you realize that the Academy storyline was set in the past, when things aren't great, but they're not terrible. Then when Kiruko and Maru reach the Takahara Academy branch office, they find their pamphlet and it is a load of drivel about unlocking your child's inner potential or something or whatever. Then you realize that this is all they are, they really are just a cult playing with forces they barely understand, calling everyone in their outgroup irredeemable denizens of hell, using messianic imagery from japanese folklore. And when their human guinea pigs break containment and transform into superhuman monsters, that's when you'll really get a hell.

Is that manga spoilers or is it made explicit in the show and I just wasn't paying enough attention?

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
What? I haven't read the loving manga. The speculation of events, like the general timeline, the utterly venal nature of the sterile science academy, and the impending containment break are dead loving obvious conclusions from the show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if fluffdaddy's read the manga then i think that probe is spoilers

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

What? I haven't read the loving manga. The speculation of events, like the general timeline, the utterly venal nature of the sterile science academy, and the impending containment break are dead loving obvious conclusions from the show.

Yeah, that's mostly what I was thinking was going on. I was just curious if it was from the manga or not because you wrote with such certainly. There's still the possibility that some details are a misdirect of a misdirect, but I'm guessing the gist of it is right.

For the record, I didn't report you. RIP, tho.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
some of the details are off, anyway.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
copypasting a little bit from the seasonal thread because it probably didn't belong there.

the way the newest episode builds tension in the transitions between the shocking disaster stuff at the academy and the melancholy 'maybe this is the end of our journey' scenes with kiruko and maru, and how it completely subverts the 2 storyline expectations with mimihime + the other kids discovering a beautiful blue sky and the horrific poo poo with robin, is just incredible. to repeat myself for probably the 8th time in this thread, the direction and care for the production of this show still blows me away.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the shots of the swaying power lines at the end are stuck in my head. i guess they kind of remind me of the creepy night time road scenes in twin peaks or something

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

copypasting a little bit from the seasonal thread because it probably didn't belong there.

the way the newest episode builds tension in the transitions between the shocking disaster stuff at the academy and the melancholy 'maybe this is the end of our journey' scenes with kiruko and maru, and how it completely subverts the 2 storyline expectations with mimihime + the other kids discovering a beautiful blue sky and the horrific poo poo with robin, is just incredible. to repeat myself for probably the 8th time in this thread, the direction and care for the production of this show still blows me away.

yeah, i agree. when people were talking about the robin scene i was expecting pure shock value but it both tied into what they were going for thematically and was done artfully enough to not be tacky.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the anime shows a lot less of it/has less screentime devoted to the actual act compared to the manga due to broadcasting standards (and probably a directorial decision) so thats also a factor

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

the anime shows a lot less of it/has less screentime devoted to the actual act compared to the manga due to broadcasting standards (and probably a directorial decision) so thats also a factor

yeah, fair.

i'm pretty curious how this story plays out and i'm not betting on getting a second season, do you think the manga is worth reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its possible it gets a s2, it seems to be doing decently and the manga sales seem to have picked up. that said if you like the anime the manga is very much worth a read.