Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

We had a computer in the kitchen now that I think about it, but friensd who had Dads that Knew about Computers, would alwasy have a setup away from the family with huge shelves of PC CD rom cases like a library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
The kid that wasnt explicitly weird but we definitely made fun of him behind his back had his computer in the kitchen.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fargield posted:

The kid that wasnt explicitly weird but we definitely made fun of him behind his back had his computer in the kitchen.

And he grew up to be Bill Gates.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

our computer was everywhere at some point, dining room, home office, parents bedroom

I can remember both playing commander keen in the dining room while they were hand-scanning old family pictures for a coming reunion with one of those little handheld logitech scanners, and later playing the side-scrolling duke nukem on saturday mornings with wwf superstars in the background

I have no idea why they had the computer in their room, very odd choice

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Anyone knew families where the big rear end mom or dad spends 90% of their free time just sitting at a table. I was always more creeped out by that lol.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Wormskull posted:

Anyone knew families where the big rear end mom or dad spends 90% of their free time just sitting at a table. I was always more creeped out by that lol.

That was always weird lol but yes. That or a weird chair and the dad has a plate in his head and the entire family hangs out in a room without a TV???

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
in my tiny 2 bedroom childhood home, the "family" computer was always setup on my mom's antique roll top secretary desk in the dining room. this was where my mom always did the bills, and i assume it was here because it was also right next to where the only house phone was on the wall. the desk had piles of random mail, bank statements, and her checking balance book. all of the little drawers that she put her pens and whatever else. there is a computer is still there, probably 15 years old at this point. she doesn't use it anymore, just uses her ipad now. i always laugh at the sight of this desk that probably has billing/bank statements from when she bought the house in 1983 stuffed in the drawers.

Cousin Foomin
Feb 21, 2018

Pragmatica posted:

in my tiny 2 bedroom childhood home, the "family" computer was always setup on my mom's antique roll top secretary desk in the dining room. this was where my mom always did the bills, and i assume it was here because it was also right next to where the only house phone was on the wall. the desk had piles of random mail, bank statements, and her checking balance book. all of the little drawers that she put her pens and whatever else. there is a computer is still there, probably 15 years old at this point. she doesn't use it anymore, just uses her ipad now. i always laugh at the sight of this desk that probably has billing/bank statements from when she bought the house in 1983 stuffed in the drawers.

The Time Capsule

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

lol yeah, this and the mom who would always be looking out the window smoking

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
We had the computer in the dining room and then at some point it became the computer in the living room and then at some point it became the computer in the dining room again, no privacy at all in any of these scenarios.

Wormskull posted:

my mother-in-law is retired now and spends 90% of her free time alternating between the ipad at the dining room table, where she plays Candy Crush, and the ipad at the kitchen table, where she also plays Candy Crush.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
our computerb egan on the dining room side of the kitchen slash dining room. then it moved to the living room. then i got my own computer in my bedroom and such was my life from then on

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I think the computer going in the kitchen/dining room is a direct result of being close to an unused phone line, at least as far as the 90s/early 00s go.

The phone lines in the living room and bedrooms are used by actual phones, so you plug the router into the one in the kitchen or more likely dining room. Then you plug in the computer next to the router since this was before wifi and no one wanted wires running through their houses.

Except those bougie fucks who had home offices

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Our computer was just in my room.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The smaller tv and snes/later ps1 were on the kitchen island tho

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

I felt like I was expressing myself poorly in words.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

this is just every doctors office today, lol. your dad was ahead of the game

Yeah, this is just a 'workstation on wheels' - they're pretty common at hospitals. Your dad was waaaay ahead of his time!

Personally though, I managed to avoid cursed gaming setups, for the most part. We've always had a separate study because my dad was a part-time gamer and appreciates having a good setup. But when we had friends over for LAN parties on Friday nights, then we'd move out onto the kitchen table. So then the following day before we move everything back, it would be a real awkward breakfast situation!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

We had a family laptop so it could roam around, though it was definitely dining room based until we got a wireless modem. It was absolutely ruined because of all the music I downloaded from Limewire for my seven dollar MP3 player though, pretty sure now that that was the reason mum's bank account got compromised.

I never got to use it though, my mum was like addicted to Myspace and used to fall asleep in front of the laptop while doing her daily page updates lol. I'd be trying to wake her up for a ride to school while some Aerosmith song played on repeat at full volume for hours on end through the lovely built in Dell speakers

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

We had a family laptop so it could roam around, though it was definitely dining room based until we got a wireless modem. It was absolutely ruined because of all the music I downloaded from Limewire for my seven dollar MP3 player though, pretty sure now that that was the reason mum's bank account got compromised.

I never got to use it though, my mum was like addicted to Myspace and used to fall asleep in front of the laptop while doing her daily page updates lol. I'd be trying to wake her up for a ride to school while some Aerosmith song played on repeat at full volume for hours on end through the lovely built in Dell speakers
This is my favorite style of goon story

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Our family computer was moved around a bit as the house was redecorated and while it was mostly in pretty normal places, for some reason I don't remember or understand for a while it was on our landing sort of overlooking the stairs, rather than in an actual room. Thinking back it didn't seem that weird at the time but now I cannot put together any logical reason for it to be there.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Our family computer was in the oven. The parents would turn the heat on to 350 anytime we were getting our game on and we'd have to leave after a few minutes when it got too hot.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Odddzy posted:

Our family computer was in the oven. The parents would turn the heat on to 350 anytime we were getting our game on and we'd have to leave after a few minutes when it got too hot.

freaking epic

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Odddzy posted:

Yeah buddy. *raises champagne flute filled with monster zero sugar, whisky, and corona extra and spills have of it in my lap without noticing*

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

my house was too small for a kitchen PC setup but we absolutely put a TV in there once you could get a small flatscreen for cheap. it ruled, we'd just watch the simpsons and seinfeld instead of talking to one another

PC was always in the living room in one of those lovely particleboard "computer cabinets" from the early 00's that the doors had completely fallen off of and the tracks on the keyboard drawer got hosed up so it didn't slide in or out all the way anymore. no desk chair either, just a lovely stiff wooden chair from the old kitchen dining set lol. pretty cursed

my parents kept that cabinet for several years until it literally fell apart, then they finally moved the PC into their room since all the kids were gone by then.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

tmfc posted:

lovely particleboard "computer cabinets" from the early 00's that the doors had completely fallen off of and the tracks on the keyboard drawer got hosed up so it didn't slide in or out all the way anymore.

I feel this.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol the guinea pig

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

90s computer cabinets may actually be the most cursed setup, didn't even have enough room for a keyboard and mouse on those drawers lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress the little roll out keyboard shelf that cut into your arms before windows had even booted.

edit: not in the yospos way

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

gently caress the little roll out keyboard shelf that cut into your arms before windows had even booted.

edit: not in the yospos way

i was in primary school when i got a file and ran it over the edges to round that poo poo out and take the pressure off my wrists lol

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
when i got my first laptop i had it set up in the kitchen for some loving reason until i realized "hey i could take this into my bedroom and jack off"

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i got my first laptop when i was 29 years old

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

why yes, i am still currently using my first laptop

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
and hows the jacking off going

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

prayer group posted:

and hows the jacking off going

Not good - he's still trying

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
i was hoping to hear a status update but i guess his hands are busy!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

vyelkin posted:

my mother-in-law is retired now and spends 90% of her free time alternating between the ipad at the dining room table, where she plays Candy Crush, and the ipad at the kitchen table, where she also plays Candy Crush.

lol for some reason hearing Matthew McConaughey say this

Mock Turtle
Jul 19, 2022

lol thinking about how many people kept their printer on the floor next to the computer desk

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Remembering fondly my parents calling the computer room the office when all that goes on in there is me playing frozen throne customs and torrenting anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!