Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'll stay over here at the winpho ad appreciation station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
man, that's a nice phone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

nudgenudgetilt posted:

telepathy was the messaging/social/telephony framework under all the nokia linux devices, webos phones, kde today, and at one point gnome desktop.

https://telepathy.freedesktop.org/about/

welp, ya learn something new every day

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it was pretty bold for a major corporation to assume that most users are like yosposters and would identify with the experience of wanting to have sex with a computer phone instead of a human

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it was pretty bold for a major corporation to assume that most users are like yosposters and would identify with the experience of wanting to have sex with a computer phone instead of a human

that's the opposite of what the ad was though, the wp pitch was to have everything glanceable and collected (in "hubs") so you wouldn't be on your phone so much. which turns out to have been the bad bet.

the hubs concept was good, but turns out that no app maker wants to have their app turned into plumbing for a system interface with nowhere to drive "engagement"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's the thing, the platform providers had the opportunity to make their product better* and they explicitly rejected it.

*better in the sense that it would be more useful to me as a user

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the hubs concept was good

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*throwing up hands* fine, I want to gently caress the computer phone. happy???

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

finally read through it a bit. i had no clue that palm never moved to native arm. wild that everything ran on a 68k emu

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

i have a soft spot for sailfish

but webos was so good at the time, i feel like a number of concepts it introduced are fairly common today

i have a spot for both, the n800 (as a precursor os device) and touchpad were fresh takes in a solidifying device market

i still really miss the stacks from webos. they made context switching way easier

i also really liked digging into app packages to tweak the ui css to resize touch targets. considering the ui was a big pile of webkit views, it ran well. especially when electron is such a monster on much more capable hardware

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I miss my palm centro. could go like a week without charging

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
wow, this guy is very, very impressive

it will not be a surprise to hear that in HS I ran with a group of nerdy PalmOS fanboys, and we would do things like transfer files over IrDA during class. I'm pretty sure I even saw a prom photo where some of my friends are beaming files while their dates stand off to the side. I remember one guy tried to one-up everyone by getting the "top of the line" device that was called the OneDrive or something and it ran off a built-in hard drive, and was predictably slow and unreliable.

and yep, WebOS is great. It's amazing that even today the notifications on it are still way better than iOS. Kinda surprising they haven't stolen those the way they did for the card-based multitasking.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I believe you are thinking of the lifedrive, it was a chunk (I wanted one)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had a centro and then a pre in grad school. they were both very good, but the iphone 4s i got when it sprint finally supported it was better

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

centro was fine, but by that point symbian wasn't completely terrible from a user perspective

i think i went from a centro to an e72 -- now that's a phone i miss

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i kind of miss not having the usable web on my phone. but not enough to give up way better texting functionality (plus signal and co) and a decent camera

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

i had a centro and then a pre in grad school. they were both very good, but the iphone 4s i got when it sprint finally supported it was better

two outta three aint bad

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

rotor posted:

two outta three aint bad

rotor, what are you using for a daily driver? Pre?

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

cheque_some posted:

rotor, what are you using for a daily driver? Pre?

maybe the Pre 3?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

webos at some point became basically unusable because there was no way to replace a certificate they used. Basically you could no longer connect to gmail or a bunch of other web services. There were these weirdo webDAV workarounds i did for a while but after a while it got to be too much. Forums user Dutruex sent me a pair of HP Veers which were absolutely adorable and i continued to use for way after I had an iphone.

currently using an original SE.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there was a 3rd party bundle that updated the root cert on the hp touchpads, idk if they made a release for the pre as well

of course that's since expired too

you also can't activate any of the old webos devices anymore

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

there was a 3rd party bundle that updated the root cert on the hp touchpads, idk if they made a release for the pre as well

yeah they did but gradually maintaining all that stuff was too much. Pretty soon everyone drifted away and nothing was supported any more. If HP had just handed over the servers to volunteers to run, things would have been a lot different.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rotor posted:

If HP had just handed over the servers to volunteers to run, things would have been a lot different.

you mean like open sores ?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

graph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there's a real chance that my phone dies before the new usbc iphones come out and i end up with a cheapo phone to bridge the gap

it'd be pretty cool to use something like one of those little veer guys or the closest thing to a nokia 5110 that will still function.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Achmed Jones posted:

there's a real chance that my phone dies before the new usbc iphones come out and i end up with a cheapo phone to bridge the gap

it'd be pretty cool to use something like one of those little veer guys or the closest thing to a nokia 5110 that will still function.

pick up one of the tiny 'prison pocket' phones off of AliExpress :colbert:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Hed posted:

my Palm Treo in 2006 was way more functional as a task manager than anything even paid options for 2023 iOS

I've honestly never been fully happy with anything PIM-wise after my treo 650.

mediaphage posted:

man i wonder what nokia phones would be like today if they'd managed to avoid microsoft's acquisition

if they had avoided Microsoft entirely (including releasing any winpho devices)...probably nothing special tbh. symbian was dead and I can't imagine meego getting enough traction to even be a 4th-tier also-ran. so if they had managed to stick around today, I'd expect just another brand of featureless slabs running android.

:rip: unique phones with character

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

SO DEMANDING posted:

I've honestly never been fully happy with anything PIM-wise after my treo 650.

if they had avoided Microsoft entirely (including releasing any winpho devices)...probably nothing special tbh. symbian was dead and I can't imagine meego getting enough traction to even be a 4th-tier also-ran. so if they had managed to stick around today, I'd expect just another brand of featureless slabs running android.

:rip: unique phones with character

maybe that’s the joke, but isn’t that exactly what nokia is now?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i liked meego, i think it could have gone places. they were partnered with intel on that so i assume there would have been potential for getting a standardized meego experience across phones from various manufacturers but i don’t rightly know. also i never had to do any kind of dev with it so idk if it was a shitshow there or not

but that’s okay we got…tizen…instead

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jony neuemonic posted:

maybe that’s the joke, but isn’t that exactly what nokia is now?

does nokia have any input at all into phones anymore even or is it just like atari and polaroid in that way (at least part of nokia is extant)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

did you like meego as a user or in theory? because i find the latter more likely by far. the hardware was kind of cool, but the software had little other than open source creds to recommend it.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

mediaphage posted:

does nokia have any input at all into phones anymore even or is it just like atari and polaroid in that way (at least part of nokia is extant)

I want to say some group connected to old nokia bought the name back but tbh I haven’t looked into it that deeply

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

hmd global designs the phones, but otoh hmd global is in an old nokia building down the street from nokia hq, so it is pretty far from an atari/polaroid.

but otoh the phones are broadly meh so it is hardly helps that they have pedigree.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they're a mid-tier android oem that wears the nokia brand. idk how much engineering or design talent they got along with the name, but their products are indistinguishable from any other mid-tier android oem

which is, hilariously, exactly what anssi vanjoki predicted would happen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

did you like meego as a user or in theory? because i find the latter more likely by far. the hardware was kind of cool, but the software had little other than open source creds to recommend it.

mostly the latter, i’m probably mixing it up with positive maemo thoughts of the Internet Communicator

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I miss my n800

but I miss my zaurus more

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

graph posted:

dont really care about the source, just the keys and the api. but also its more ok when companies give away stuff to consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

mostly the latter, i’m probably mixing it up with positive maemo thoughts of the Internet Communicator

Silver Alicorn posted:

I miss my n800

but I miss my zaurus more

yeah, i was reading it as maemo in my head and thinking about my n800 days

there was a package to get palm stuff running in an emulator? simulator? that was cool. it, and the touchpad, set my expectations high for creative mobile computing solutions and it sort of bums me out that everything congealed as it is now

speaking of linux tablets, the pinetab2 and pinetab-v preorders are live and it's taking all my strength to not get another device for my desk

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 13, 2023