Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
wow, this guy is very, very impressive

it will not be a surprise to hear that in HS I ran with a group of nerdy PalmOS fanboys, and we would do things like transfer files over IrDA during class. I'm pretty sure I even saw a prom photo where some of my friends are beaming files while their dates stand off to the side. I remember one guy tried to one-up everyone by getting the "top of the line" device that was called the OneDrive or something and it ran off a built-in hard drive, and was predictably slow and unreliable.

and yep, WebOS is great. It's amazing that even today the notifications on it are still way better than iOS. Kinda surprising they haven't stolen those the way they did for the card-based multitasking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

rotor posted:

two outta three aint bad

rotor, what are you using for a daily driver? Pre?

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

cheque_some posted:

rotor, what are you using for a daily driver? Pre?

maybe the Pre 3?

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Somehow Google still supports TLS 1.0, so you can use Gmail and Google search in the Pre's browser. Pretty much nothing else works natively, but someone developed a workaround by porting a squid proxy instance to MITM TLS 2.0 connections, which kinda works in a pinch, but you're still dealing with a 10 year old browser which doesn't fare that well with a lot of web pages.

The other challenges are the 2G/3G shutdowns and just the number of parts of society that now expect you to have an Android or iOS phone to interact with them.