Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

i have a soft spot for sailfish

but webos was so good at the time, i feel like a number of concepts it introduced are fairly common today

i have a spot for both, the n800 (as a precursor os device) and touchpad were fresh takes in a solidifying device market

i still really miss the stacks from webos. they made context switching way easier

i also really liked digging into app packages to tweak the ui css to resize touch targets. considering the ui was a big pile of webkit views, it ran well. especially when electron is such a monster on much more capable hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

mostly the latter, i’m probably mixing it up with positive maemo thoughts of the Internet Communicator

Silver Alicorn posted:

I miss my n800

but I miss my zaurus more

yeah, i was reading it as maemo in my head and thinking about my n800 days

there was a package to get palm stuff running in an emulator? simulator? that was cool. it, and the touchpad, set my expectations high for creative mobile computing solutions and it sort of bums me out that everything congealed as it is now

speaking of linux tablets, the pinetab2 and pinetab-v preorders are live and it's taking all my strength to not get another device for my desk

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 13, 2023

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

when you gotta get it resurfaced because it's all hair