Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

im ready to do graffiti on my iphone. this ios bullshit has gone on long enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

stop, rotor can only become so erect

dont you fuckin tell me how erect i can get

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the clies were the best palm devices - that jog wheel made so much sense.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

ngl if i could have an iphone with phys keys and a scroll ball or dial i’d be all over it

absolutely

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

palmos internally was a mess by the time the end rolled around. The networking in particular was apparently god awful.

I absolutely loved it as a user, and while i think replicating something like it starting from a modern context would be a great idea, I dont really understand why this dude is doing what he's doing.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

webos was really good and i wish it had succeeded. more platforms are better

gettin real tired of duopolies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

i have a soft spot for sailfish

but webos was so good at the time, i feel like a number of concepts it introduced are fairly common today

the card metaphor was great, and the synergy thing they had that handled things like contacts, image hosts, social media shares and things like that as pluggable services was loving fantastic.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im not familiar with this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

telepathy was the messaging/social/telephony framework under all the nokia linux devices, webos phones, kde today, and at one point gnome desktop.

https://telepathy.freedesktop.org/about/

welp, ya learn something new every day

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the hubs concept was good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

i had a centro and then a pre in grad school. they were both very good, but the iphone 4s i got when it sprint finally supported it was better

two outta three aint bad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

webos at some point became basically unusable because there was no way to replace a certificate they used. Basically you could no longer connect to gmail or a bunch of other web services. There were these weirdo webDAV workarounds i did for a while but after a while it got to be too much. Forums user Dutruex sent me a pair of HP Veers which were absolutely adorable and i continued to use for way after I had an iphone.

currently using an original SE.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

there was a 3rd party bundle that updated the root cert on the hp touchpads, idk if they made a release for the pre as well

yeah they did but gradually maintaining all that stuff was too much. Pretty soon everyone drifted away and nothing was supported any more. If HP had just handed over the servers to volunteers to run, things would have been a lot different.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

graph posted:

you mean like open sores ?

dont really care about the source, just the keys and the api. but also its more ok when companies give away stuff to consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cheque_some posted:

Somehow Google still supports TLS 1.0, so you can use Gmail and Google search in the Pre's browser. Pretty much nothing else works natively, but someone developed a workaround by porting a squid proxy instance to MITM TLS 2.0 connections, which kinda works in a pinch, but you're still dealing with a 10 year old browser which doesn't fare that well with a lot of web pages.

The other challenges are the 2G/3G shutdowns and just the number of parts of society that now expect you to have an Android or iOS phone to interact with them.

ohhh thats right, that was actually the final straw, when i started getting hatemail from sprint about how 3g was gonna be EOLd