Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

star wars takes place in the ancient past and star trek takes place in the future but they're the same universe

star trek mostly takes place in the future but there are a few occasional plotlines that take place in the 20th and 21st centuries. bell riots are coming up next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The next movie will just be game footage from Dark Forces and X-Wing & tie fighter spliced together

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just read someone say “the prequels were great” and I have never been more embarrassed on behalf of my fellow goons. Beyond the pale.

naem
May 29, 2011

doesn’t disney own star warts??

I guess that’s why Paramaount Pluts©️™️ exists

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Just read someone say “the prequels were great” and I have never been more embarrassed on behalf of my fellow goons. Beyond the pale.

This is viewed as a self evident truth in CD, like the existence of gravity

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

The recent trilogy wasn't good, but I would hardly say that Daisy Ridley was the problem with them. In 7 she was even a pretty good character, even if it was just luke skywalker again. The real issue with those movies was that that they just didn't really have anything interesting to say, nothing really new about them. People can bitch about the TV show universe all they want but, at least they are trying different things with it. I'd say Andor was downright really good, particularly the back half of it.

The whole thing with star wars movies at this point is that to justify the cost of the productions, they have to rely entirely on a fanbase that just want nostolgia shoved down their throats over and over. It would be fantastic to see them make weird 40-80 million dollar star wars movies that were low risk for disney and just see what interesting film makers could do with it. They won't though, because every franchise for disney needs to be a marvel level monstrosity that will inevitably crush under it's own weight.

Who cares though, plenty of other poo poo out there to watch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was 12 years old when I saw Phantom Menace and 14 when I saw Attack of the Clones. I was obsessed with Star Wars as a kid (I still have several bins full of star wars toys, legos, and books), both the original trilogy and Shadow of the Empire (I even have the making-of book for the SotE movie that never got made). I don't remember anything at all about the plot of the Prequels other than they were both so bad that I never watched the third one and I entirely stopped caring about Star Wars because of them

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

sebmojo posted:

This is viewed as a self evident truth in CD, like the existence of gravity

That they’re good? Glad to be on the opposite side from them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Daisy Ridley is Fine, she does the job. She's the dnd5e of actors.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Phantom menace could have been good if they added another hour of senate scenes and cut some of the pointless combat out imo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when i first saw star wars there were the three original movies plus a couple of gimmicky tv specials. if i wanted to know more about the background of a certain character or concept, i talked to my other nerdy friends and we theorized or just sort of made poo poo up. a lot of it just remained unexplained and sort of mysterious. sometime in the 90's my dad bought a couple of the extended universe novels, timothy zahn etc, but i never looked at them because it seemed weird to me at the time to go "beyond" the movies. there were rumors about what the prequels and sequels might be about but they just all seemed very theoretical, and it was fun to fantasize about what other periods of the star wars universe might possibly be like.

its hard to imagine what its like now for kids just starting to get into star wars. if you wonder about any tiny obscure piece of backstory there are massive online resources telling you the "official canon" of all you want to know and more, a main line of movies spanning several generations and a ton of other movies and tv shows about all kinds of side characters or younger versions of characters or the stories of predecessors to the "main" events and so on. it seems really overwhelming, and to leave a lot less room for imagination.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I am desert girl, I am beautiful with flawless skin due to living in burnt out hulk in middle of desert.

My hobbies are struggling to get enough to eat, learning to fight multiple attackers, flying ships, learning internal workings of obsolete ships better than veteran pilots (but not recognising these ships on sight despite knowing the legends surrounding them), learning to swim perfectly on the first go, being able to sail ships better than the native sailors on another world.

Also I speak most languages.

This was easy for me because I am a loner with no chance of ever having received an education.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
super stoked but low key worried that the good guys won’t fly xwings and bad guys won’t have a planet-killing super weapon in these 👉👈🥺

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

:lmao:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Extra row of tits posted:

I am desert girl, I am beautiful with flawless skin due to living in burnt out hulk in middle of desert.

My hobbies are struggling to get enough to eat, learning to fight multiple attackers, flying ships, learning internal workings of obsolete ships better than veteran pilots (but not recognising these ships on sight despite knowing the legends surrounding them), learning to swim perfectly on the first go, being able to sail ships better than the native sailors on another world.

Also I speak most languages.

This was easy for me because I am a loner with no chance of ever having received an education.

*plinkett voice* i guess she's whatever the plot needs her to be

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Daisy Ridley is Fine, she does the job. She's the dnd5e of actors.

The frustrating part to me is that despite being the least experienced actor in all the movies, she's the one with the lead role. John Boyega is about the same age as her and perfectly doing an American accent and she can only sound like a posh English girl. The difference in ability was obvious to me between her and all her costars, but ultimately being young and pretty is going to mean more to sell tickets than acting.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

super stoked but low key worried that the good guys won’t fly xwings and bad guys won’t have a planet-killing super weapon in these 👉👈🥺

as long as there's more robot feet torture scenes i'm good

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lister posted:

The frustrating part to me is that despite being the least experienced actor in all the movies, she's the one with the lead role.

this is a weird take. the level experience she had before star wars is about the same as what mark hamill had before the first one. and since when does more experience mean getting the lead role? the most experienced actor in star wars, by far, was alec guiness who only had a few scenes (and also didn't particularly care for star wars). the leads were all pretty unknown at the time.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Earwicker posted:

this is a weird take. the level experience she had before star wars is about the same as what mark hamill had before the first one. and since when does more experience mean getting the lead role? the most experienced actor in star wars, by far, was alec guiness who only had a few scenes (and also didn't particularly care for star wars). the leads were all pretty unknown at the time.

True, and mark hamill was not good in the original star wars. He barely got better in the sequels. The movies were good despite his acting. Like most of the aspects of film making today compared to the 70s, the standards of quality have risen. Someone as good as mark hamill in 1977 doesn't cut it by 2015.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The Star Wars Holiday Special could really do with a sequel. Kids need to know that there's a war on life day. A Stars War on Life Day

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Only if the entire thing is done in Wookiee without subtitles.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

olives black posted:

*plinkett voice* i guess she's whatever the plot needs her to be

That’s what the cocaine is for!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Earwicker posted:

A comparison though is that the original trilogy was more or less an unknown at the time it was being cast and made, so casting relatively inexperienced performers might be par for the course.

The trend of unproven IPs seems more or less something one used to see in a lot of sci-fi and comic book movies for several years: We'll cast far more popular, respected, or acclaimed stars in the supporting or antagonist roles but we're casting mostly unknowns or less popular ones in the leads.

Heck, outside of the the puppets and the droids, I'd say Samuel Jackson was the most 'recognizable' member of the PT cast through its production.

But I'd say that trend has shifted a bit since the MCU started up and trending towards casting of more 'name' actors as the leads is becoming more common.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

When my son was 3 he was playing a game where salacious crumb and the sarlacc pit were best friends with the gonk droid, who was a Jedi, but when Darth Vader confronted them it turned out that the Gonk Droid Jedi was actually 3 porgs in disguise. And then Darth Vader was also revealed to be some porgs in disguise.

I hope Disney pays royalties when this turns out to be the new sequel trilogy.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zeniel posted:

The Star Wars Holiday Special could really do with a sequel. Kids need to know that there's a war on life day. A Stars War on Life Day

Star war....what is it good for..?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Emperor Palpatine withdraw the clone troops from Endor. Send are cloneboys home (test tube)!!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Conspiracy theory media in the Star Wars universe is so conflicted between praising Palpatine and Vader while being forced to call Leia a secret Sith who forged her birth certificate.

On their call in holo-shows, they mockingly call her, "Her Highness..." while playing the sound effect of Aldaraan exploding every time.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
My girlfriend thought Luke grew up to be Vader, and that Vader and the emperor were the same person.

Naturally I have burned her house down.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
There's a big venn diagram overlap between people who will spend money on poo poo star wars properties, lego people, and disneyland weirds. The trifecta of poo poo. The major connection point being a willingness and ability to spend huge amounts of money in a bid to rekindle the feelings they had as kids.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If I could pay money to feel the way I did as a kid about toys, action movies, cartoons, games and that sort of thing I'd do it. Wouldn't you?

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

did anybody hear the plan Lucas was going to go with before Disney got it? He was gonna have revived Darth Maul be the baddie and have the OG characters babies be the mains, it sounded more solid than what Disney cooked up. Too bad he shat himself all over the prequels, which I do enjoy in their own bad way.

Disneys stuff stinks of design by committee, like a long table of faceless suits without even a plan just making it up as it goes. Thats what really surprised me, that the course of the story was being wrenched to and fro with each movie, and its blamed on the directors... but aren't directors supposed to make movies based on something thats been written? You'd think they would have a solid plan for the whole drat thing and keep the directors in line.

Around the same time the Hobbit movies suffered a similar fate, maybe its just what the 2010s were all about

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Renreeja posted:

did anybody hear the plan Lucas was going to go with before Disney got it? He was gonna have revived Darth Maul be the baddie and have the OG characters babies be the mains, it sounded more solid than what Disney cooked up. Too bad he shat himself all over the prequels, which I do enjoy in their own bad way.

Disneys stuff stinks of design by committee, like a long table of faceless suits without even a plan just making it up as it goes. Thats what really surprised me, that the course of the story was being wrenched to and fro with each movie, and its blamed on the directors... but aren't directors supposed to make movies based on something thats been written? You'd think they would have a solid plan for the whole drat thing and keep the directors in line.

Around the same time the Hobbit movies suffered a similar fate, maybe its just what the 2010s were all about

Should have just made like, a super Death Star. It’s what the people want!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Renreeja posted:

Thats what really surprised me, that the course of the story was being wrenched to and fro with each movie, and its blamed on the directors... but aren't directors supposed to make movies based on something thats been written? You'd think they would have a solid plan for the whole drat thing and keep the directors in line.

I'm glad they didn't. Rian Johnson's entry deffo wasn't perfect, but it was the mercy killing that adult fans needed. They can bring back Daisy Ridley to do whatever the gently caress all they like. Make her Jabba's cousin this time, resurrect Luke with the power of friendship, go hog wild. I will never forget that the whole universe is now canonically just a plaything for rich arms manufacturers who can only ever be mildly inconvenienced by cartoon horses knocking over their poker tables because Disney.

olives black fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 20, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if they make a show or movie exclusively about Hutts and with only Hutt characters i would watch it

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The sequel trilogy was funny cause 8 was all about trying to unshackle Star Wars from the past and endlessly recycling the same concepts and ideas and opening the doors to something new, only for 9 to bring back Sheev and continue to recycle everything anyway.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Archer666 posted:

The sequel trilogy was funny cause 8 was all about trying to unshackle Star Wars from the past and endlessly recycling the same concepts and ideas and opening the doors to something new, only for 9 to bring back Sheev and continue to recycle everything anyway.

It's a Disney franchise for children. It will only ever recycle the same ideas. Johnson might have thought otherwise when he was making 8, but the end result still clearly spelled it out for us.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

If you refer to the emperor as palpatine or sheev you are not the intended audience of new Star Wars.

And it’s debatable if even “the emperor” is too specific. Probably be safe and go with “the bad guy…no the old wrinkly one”

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/joeIsmillers/status/1648779987271528448

olives black posted:

It's a Disney franchise for children. It will only ever recycle the same ideas. Johnson might have thought otherwise when he was making 8, but the end result still clearly spelled it out for us.

They recycled ideas before Disney in the EU stuff too. Always some super weapon, there's always a smuggler with the same personality as Han Solo with an alien friend. Star Wars has and will always continue to be a creatively circular human centipede.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Archer666 posted:

They recycled ideas before Disney in the EU stuff too. Always some super weapon, there's always a smuggler with the same personality as Han Solo with an alien friend. Star Wars has and will always continue to be a creatively circular human centipede.

I never finished the Timothy Zahn novels, but I thought it was p funny that one of the really long ones started with the lead Empire guys saying "well, we're getting our asses kicked constantly and we can only afford the lovely off-brand TIE fighters now, but we got a guy who looks and sounds just like Admiral Thrawn sans all of the brains. Let's just roll with that I guess"

odd fuckin idea that you could only get away with in a licensed novel that no one at HQ is paying attention to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Earwicker posted:

if they make a show or movie exclusively about Hutts and with only Hutt characters i would watch it

I want to see a Hutt Jedi who fights like Yoda. I will pay good money to see this.