Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I'm a big fan of the Dragon Warrior Randomizer. The big draw for this one for me is the random maps. The over world map and monster zones gets procedurally generated as part of the randomization and exploration decisions become a big part of fast gameplay. And for some reason that really gels with me.

Right now they're just starting a new tournament designed completely around getting new players in to the game and familiar with the gameplay and various options. The details of that are in the discord channel. If anyone is interested it's worth seeing if it's not too late to get onboard. They also have a couple different standing weekly casual races that anyone can join. They'll pick up to four runners that stream their gameplay and put it all together and commentate it live on their Twitch Channel. On Sundays they race with the standard flagset which is basically pretty darn close to vanilla gameplay with all sorts of quality of life upgrades. So it's find the quest items, turn in the quest items, storm the final castle, and kill the Dragon Lord. There's lots of options to change things up though and on Wednesdays they run a standing casual race that anyone can join and they mess around with different flagsets for different gameplay options. That also gets streamed live pretty often.

I'm very much a mid-pack racer and not very notable by any means so I'm no ambassador or anything, but if there's questions or anything about DWR I'm happy to jump in and see what I can help with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Have a video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WeiYbokw8

Here's me playing a standard flags seed of DWR and talking over it. I'll also take some constructive criticism on the video itself to apply to future videos.
https://dwrandomizer.com/release/#flags=IVIAAVCAKACAAAAAAAAAAEAQ&seed=8994247777059430

Edit: I mentioned at the end wondering how close I got to seeing mountain cave and Kol earlier. After checking the tape I had both locations on screen right around the 8 minute mark. I died to a blue dragon as I was walking to them then managed to just never go back that way. So that's a definite mistake in the "trying to go fast" category. Getting the Armor early like that would have made everything way faster overall.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 19, 2023

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I mentioned in a previous post, but the DWR folks are doing a Training Tournament right now to help ease new players in to the game. So I figured I'd bring that over here for anyone that wants to give DWR a try, but maybe not jump right in to the standard flagset. In this version everything is a lot tighter and easier to manage. Here's the list of what's different compared to the standard flagset:
code:
Speed Hacks: Yes
Short Charlock: Yes
Don't Require Magic Keys: Yes
Leveling Speed: Very Fast
Random Map Size: Very Small
No Armor in Charlock: Yes
Easy Charlock: Yes
I put together a run using my previous post as the seed number. But what you, the viewer at home, could do would be to click this link RIGHT HERE and play it yourself before you watch my run. Then compare notes, post about it, or whatever. Also hit me up with any questions, comments, or concerns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISPWx8iy8NU
Fun fact, my wife brought me a crying child to hold right when I hit the DL2 fight. So I put my headset down in front of me while I was playing. I kept talking because I figured it'd work fine, but nope. I don't actually say anything important at point. It could be argued that I didn't say anything important before that point either, but hey I digress.

I need to branch out at some point in the near future and playing Mystic Quest and/or FF6 sounds like a fun time. I'm going to try and put together one of those and see what nonsense I can get up to with it. Probably not for a little while though.

Simply Simon posted:

Aria of Sorrow Reprise Roguelike Randomizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyHc15eYboo

The hack in question

I will never not have technical issues when starting a new project, no matter how many times I've done it. I'll fix the sound desynch + weirdly high quality for the next video. That is, if you all would like to see more!
This is really neat and cool to watch. Definitely keep it going.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I gave FFMQ Rando a shot. I'm aware of the general vanilla game having played it a bunch in my youth. Not sure I'll be finishing the seed I rolled though. Turns out I could have picked better options! At first I got a bit held up when I got locked out of bombs early on and couldn't figure out where they were hiding. I grabbed a key items location doc from their discord and that really helped out. Aaron2U2 did an ffmqr run on retrothon recently and I checked that out as well. I really liked some of the flags he used. Mainly, reducing enemy density and progressive weapons. I'll give it another shot in the near future and see what I can manage with those enabled. As things stand in my current run I'm just way overpowered for everything I'm fighting and I'm bored with hitting turbo mode every two seconds to get through fights. Oh, I see there's presets now that I'm looking through the page again. I probably should have used one of those. Whoops.

I'm going to record week two of the dwr training tournament flagset here in the near future. Hopefully I start getting better at talking/playing at the same time. It sure is harder than it needs to be since I usually just rely on memory for a bunch of little stuff when I'm playing normally.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
DWR Training Tournament Week 2 Flags!
I still kinda sucked it up on exploration at the end, but there were no video hiccups the whole time. Improvement! In particular a fun quirk of the monster zones comes up at the very beginning and gives me a chance to talk about it so that's pretty neat and in the first 10 minutes. Here's what week 1 had for differences from the standard flagset:
And for week 2 we're making the map a little bit bigger by change the map size from "very small" to "small".
code:
Random Map Size: Small
Speed Hacks: Yes
Short Charlock: Yes
Don't Require Magic Keys: Yes
Leveling Speed: Very Fast
No Armor in Charlock: Yes
Easy Charlock: Yes
I go in to details about what that means in the beginning and even have a little diagram that I stole from the discord channel to help out . You can play the seed yourself RIGHT HERE. Otherwise enjoy the video.

This should finish uploaded here in just a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQGg4R1gaA

Missing the area where Rimuldar was located wasn't great to say the least. I came away from this one wondering if I would have been better off staying with the green dragons until lvl 16 and the guaranteed Repel spell to aid in my exploration or if the repeated trips to purchase fairy waters was good enough. Once again a deep grave was needed as chest 4 contained the armor, but I assure you more often than not it's just not necessary. It doesn't help that I keep finding the grave pretty early so I'm not always set up to deep dive right in that moment either. Swagmore finish would have been fun, but it wasn't in the cards. Not much else to say, but I'll entertain any replies with comments and questions.

In other DWR news the actual Training Tournament that's happening right now is just finishing off week 3. They're going to VODCast the top 4 results of the week with running commentary tonight at 6pm EST (EDT? I can never remember). Catch it at the DWR Twitch Channel. Afterwards the usual standard flagset casual race will get the same treatment except it'll be live. Lots of newer runners have been staying around for the casual standard as well so it's a great time to get answers to more questions and whatnot.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Odd Wilson posted:

Gotta love map shuffling. :allears:

Map/door randomizers are my favorite form of randomizer. I just like slowly unraveling what spaghetti nonsense the world has become over time.
Instead of knocking out the next training tourney flagset I decided to do a stair shuffle flagset instead. Just for you! About this video: I started with previously mentioned Aaron2u2's advanced standard flagset because I used to play that a bunch and knew it was stair shuffled. I totally forgot about the treasure guards so that was a surprise when it came up. Random chest locations wasn't needed, but it pairs well with stair shuffle for really forcing the exploration and spelunking.

This started out with some promise but it did become a bit of a hot mess of silly mistakes near the end after most the cave diving was over. Feel free to stick with it if y'all want, but quitting once I find the bottom floor of charlock is understandable too. I'll edit in the rando link later when I'm back at my computer tonight.

REDACTED

I also decided that updating my layout to move them documents to the right was needed after I screwed up again (only slightly). So that problem is sorted out now. I'm gonna make the maps better next time too.

Edit: RANDO LINK!

Another edit: I put a much better stair shuffle video up a few posts down. Go watch that instead. It's a way better video.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 7, 2023

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Odd Wilson posted:

Ooh, I might wait and try playing the seed myself before watching the video to see how much our paths diverge. Could be a fun experiment!
By all means go crazy. I didn't do that great of a job on the map myself. I'm gonna do another one in the near future with a slightly tighter flagset to help focus on the "stair shuffle" aspect a bit more. I've also been tweaking the heck out of my OBS layout to help with my little hiccups and visualizations here and there. My next video should look and run way better.
https://dwrandomizer.com/beta/#flags=KVIAIVCEKACFAAAAIAAAAUIQ&seed=531655503
https://dwrandomizer.com/beta/#flags=KVIAIVCEKACFAAAAKAAABIAQ&seed=531687633

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 9, 2023

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Odd Wilson posted:

Ooh, I might wait and try playing the seed myself before watching the video to see how much our paths diverge. Could be a fun experiment!
DWR Stair Shuffle Showcase!
RANDO LINK!

I'm double posting, but I really didn't expect to get the time to do another run tonight. But hey, here we are. I changed the flagset a bit to focus more on the stair shuffle aspect itself. The map is very small to spend less time on the overworld. Diving through a big cave system takes decent resources so I made the leveling speed very fast to shorten any initial grinding that needs to happen. I also removed treasure guards because while they're fun they don't enhance the stair shuffle at all. This seed ended up being lots of fun to play. And since I really started sorting out my OBS stuff like I mentioned previously it should be a great watch as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2dRQavX1Gw

I definitely got a little silly there at the end with the key incident. Otherwise the rest of it was more just me at the mercy of the vicious red dragons and rough luck. I'm glad the charlock walk was as short as it was because any extra floors and that would have hurt even more.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
DWR Training Tournament Week 3!

quote:

Doors Are Magic - The Don’t Require Magic Keys flag has been turned off, meaning you will have to obtain Magic Keys to open doors! Buy keys in Rimuldar, find them loose in a cave, get an extra one free from the king, or find a way to sneak the starting key out of the throne room!
As mentioned in the beginning of the video, but I didn't go in to this one totally blind. Only that I started a game and checked my throne room conditions to make sure I could play the spirit of the seed for demonstration purposes for the week 3 flagset. Normally, you get one key in the throne room that's always in the back chest. Then you spend that key to exit the throne room and are left keyless. From that point you need to find either a chest containing a key or Rimuldar where keys are sold. However, it's possible to save the throne room key through a few different scenarios.
1. One of the first two chests contains a magic key.
2. One of the first two chests contains a wings.
3. You start with the return spell.
Any of those situations will let you keep that first key and largely take the concept of keys out of the beginning of the game. Not totally, but largely. The first two seeds that I rolled both had a magic key right in the first two chests. That's why my seed for this run is my last post id + 2.

I'm pretty dang happy with this run. It's a really good watch.

RANDO LINK!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_jee7IICqk

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Final Fantasy Randomizer - Beginner Seed
RANDO LINK!

Changing things up I figured I'd run an FFR seed for the thread. This'll take a few videos, but should be a fun time. Beginner flags for now, but if someone wants to put together a flagset for me to run after this one I'm game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUz7joW148

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Odd Wilson posted:

Gotta love old RPGs and randomly attaching usable spells to everything that you'd never find out about unless you just randomly try stuff.
I had the FF1 strategy guide growing up so got all the info on what items did what. Pretty sure I posted scans of it in a really old LP thread. Of course back then the vast majority of those effects didn't actually actually work. The randomizer (and plenty of other patches online) fix all that stuff up and makes them work as intended.

jkq posted:

FYI, the black shirt (on SSmn) casts Ice 2 in battle.
There's other seeds where that black shirt would be a godsend, but for me to be in a situation where I'm out of nuke and can't just swing through whatever is going to be exceedingly rare in this playthrough. Heck, I bet I don't even use that heal helmet more than a handful of times.

Edit: I played the tape back and yeah I absolutely could have been using the black shirt on those mummies. That would have been the exact perfect time for it.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 13, 2023

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
RANDO LINK!

Here's the second video. I recorded it about 3 minutes after the first video. I'm assuming there's only going to be one video left in this foray, but I haven't recorded it yet. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4zo__FXFCI

The only comment I can remember to make right now before going back to rewatch the video is about the crown. In video one I remark that the crown is for Astos (which is true), but then in video two I visit Castle Ordeals and I see the crown get mentioned there too. I had no idea that I needed the crown to enter Ordeals. Then I start questioning how I thought the crown was needed for Astos. How would that have ever come up in the vanilla game? What a weird random check that the player can't ever fail outside of the randomizer.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

CptWedgie posted:

"I think this is a spike tile."
There are *so many* spike tiles in this game. I had no idea. I knew there were some for various special treasure chests, but there's so many more that are just sitting wherever the heck they want.

CptWedgie posted:

Seeing a miniboss hype itself up only to go down in one hit will never not be funny.
Pretty sure that was your kill too. Congrats!

I'm gonna record the next (final?) part tomorrow. After that I'll do some more DWR. I'll eventually finish up the training flagset progression. But I do want to put in a couple/few chaos% runs because those are just wild. Also, apparently there's a Duck Tales rando? I saw that in the list Double Negative posted. I'm sure I'll give that a blind whirl and we'll see what happens.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
RANDO LINK!

Third and final video! Not much to say for the end. It really become just a matter of doing the work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qELynXfJdzM

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

jkq posted:

Since you skipped/dropped a few nice pieces of equipment:

• Dragon Armor + Aegis Shield + Pro Ring = 5/8 "elements" resisted on the Knight. About as good as it gets, since there are only 3 ribbons in the game. And you were about to class change anyways...
  • Pro Cape = Shield slot for mages. Better than nothing, even though they don't get hit that much.
  • Power Glove ("Powe-2") = Damage buff, use on self in battle. Pretty nice since you have that Katana on CptWedgie. And later the Masamune for yourself. It's basically a weaker "TMPR" that's self only (since I think you mentioned that you forgot what SABR did).

LOL at you basically summoning WarMech.

For Crack, it's not death "element," so the Pro Ring doesn't help. :)
I couldn't believe the WarMech luck. Literally the first time I've ever actually fought WarMech as it never popped up when I played growing up. I don't think I realized that about the Pro Cape either. Lots of equipment stuff that I just didn't think too hard about and didn't want to sit idle too long in the video figuring it all out. This is really good info so thanks for writing it up. For the bosses, is it better to self-buff and cast fast for one turn instead of attacking and spending multiple turns buffing with a second character?

cirus posted:

I love your run, it's peak Final Fantasy to load up on max heal potions to save your spell charges you never used. It's like looking in a mirror
It's even easier in rando because now we can buy all the potions in one go. Siting there for 10 minutes buying heal potions one at a time trying to fill the inventory used to be a staple of this game.

CptWedgie posted:

Just did a quick check, and it turns out Hrm4 actually has the same spell power as Fade. Now, Fade does apparently have an accuracy advantage, and hits non-undead enemies by default unlike the Harm series, but as far as pure power goes they're actually identical.

I've honestly been wondering why you never equipped the Heal Helmet; it beats wood, and saves a slot because your Heal-casting item is also usable armor. I mean, before it was excusable because you weren't promoted yet and were thus incapable of wearing it, but afterwards there's no real excuse: You could give it to the Ninja instead of the Wood Helmet, because they can use it too, and just throw the Wood Helmet away as obsolete gear.

Gotta say, though, Ninja + Katana = enemies get rekt. Especially if the Katana in question rolls an upgrade.
This is more crazy interesting information regarding spells. As for the heal helmet, I kinda just forgot that it was actual armor at some point. In my mind it was utility equipment (that I basically never used) and I never gave it a second thought. That katana really worked out too. When I checked out the status between the knight and ninja it'd be interesting to know if the higher hit chance on the ninja would have been enough to make up for the 7 lower power. There's math in there, I'm sure, but I'm not going to crunch it.

Ultimately, I was never really in any trouble in this seed so I was able to just sorta walk through the whole thing without much thought for spells and equipment. Lucky for me because there's certainly lots of gaps in my knowledge between what rando changes, what I forgot about, or what I just plain never knew in the first place. I'm game for another go around with different flags. I'll cross that bridge after a bit though. Next up is going to be some chaos runs in DWR. In short, there's a thing called a tri-stated flag that DWR has and I'm going to tri-state everything and play from there. I'll do a couple/few of those and see what combinations the game gives me. I'm also eyeballing Duck Tales and Blaster Master.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Dragon Warrior Randomizer - RANDOM %

I've tri-stated the hell out of the rando options and we're going in blind. Two videos for y'all. First one is where I talk about what a tri-state is and also go over each of the possible options. It was going to be a quick video, but somehow came out to 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEAo54UBA7A

And now here's the first random% run. What flags will we get? Only time will tell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFvu8uCybv8

There's something that comes up in the video, but it passes me by and I never talk about it. The game only calculates your stats when it needs to use them. So that's either when you enter a battle or when you look at the status screen. What happens early on before I notice Permanent Repel being active is that I purchase a silver shield and give us a big defense boost. But! Repel is based on your defense. But! My defense isn't updated until I get in to a fight. So the next fight I enter is a red slime which is an enemy I should definitely be repeling with my new fancy shield. But only after entering that fight does my defense stat get updated. So I buy the shield, see one red slime, and then I'll never see another slime because my stat is updated and I'm repeling the slime.

I marked random monster zones as ON, but I'm pretty sure it was actually OFF.

My first cursed belt came from mountain cave and would have been perfectly fine to slow grind. I should have been able to show off the cursed princess ending by the 45 minute mark. I still would have continued to the true ending and it still would have taken just as long. But in a race situation that's the difference having those alternate win conditions can make.

Sorry I didn't pause the first little grinding session. I'll definitely pause and skip those for future videos. No one wants to watch that poo poo at this point.

The defense updating thing happened again after I repurchased my good gear the second time around and then encountered a skeleton.

I counted up the first DL2 attempt just now and I wasn't even close to killing him on the first try. Even short charlock and easy charlock couldn't hold the armor knights at bay for the walk through the final floor.

I somehow totally accidentally lined up the castle music when I paused/unpaused the final time near the end.

lol, totally forgot about the fairy flute on DL2! Holy cow what a lucky moment.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
DWR Random %

I did another run. This one was a doozy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK-3De7y09U

"Let's knock this out" I say, blissfully unaware of what's to come.
I'm tired of messing up my splits and getting a dumb red timer. So I finally did something about and now all my future times should stay purple. Yay!
Kind of annoyed with myself that the random% tracking doc wasn't visible for so much of the start. Sorry.
Probably should have hit the wyverns harder and earlier to ease in the early exploration.
ARMOR! I was so very happy to find that.
It occurs to me that charting "treasure guards" and "summer sale" is kinda bunk because those two are applied randomly to each individual item on a case by case basis. So for them to actually be "off" would mean every coin flip would need to be "off".
LOL! Whatever robot voice whispered in to my ear didn't make it in to the recording. Never heard that before or since. No clue where it came from. Creepy...
So yeah, checking out the swamp spike and the three's company flag would have been worth my time. I never did that though.

I'm all set for a Z1R attempt next.

Edit: Figured it out! The robot voice was the Z1R tracker talking to me in the background that I had apparently left open. Glad that mystery is solved.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 23, 2023

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Zelda 1 Randomizer!

I'm jumping right in to this with intermediate flags because why not? This is an interesting change from DWR, FFMQR, and FFR. Of course routing and things like that matter, but it seems like one of the primary factors to being *good* in Z1R is combat skills. I have no combat skills. Also, this tracker is incredibly robust for all that it does. It's very impressive. I started this video thinking maybe it'll be practice or maybe I'll post it. But I think posting is a better plan because I'm happy to accept any tips/tricks before I continue with video 2 (probably a few days from now). Otherwise I'll just continue as noted in the spoiler block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBgxb4iWEF0

I should get back to level 3.
Red ring must be tied to heart containers like the swords are, but I'm not sure exactly how many it takes.
Mental note: Need to get back to the dungeon entrance next to the graveyard because I'm pretty sure I missed an armos there.
I can hear the robot voice talking to me in the video, but I definitely couldn't hear it in my previous DWR video. That must be an OBS thing.
When I start the next video I'll try to explore more in the NW area where there are lots of new caves/whatever. Just a couple/few heart containers and the big stick will be mine. That should really help push me forward for the rest of the game.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Zelda 1 Randomizer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTMIYwKjRes

A week? It's been three days. What has my life become?!
There's so much rote memorization about locations and whatnot to this. Without the tracker it'd be near impossible to jump in as a newbie. However, that having been said the tracker for this thing is amazing. It takes out the junk and really opens the game up for anyone to jump in. I said this last time, but seriously it's really impressive.
1:44:40 -> 2:27:54 = 0:43:14
2:52:07 - 0:43:14 = 2:08:53
It's possible my math sucks. I'm kinda tired.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Zelda 1 Randomizer!
We're finishing this off! I recorded these in one go, but split it in to two videos since I was already doing a bit of edited to chop out some stupid sections. All in all it was a fun time. I did start to get a little frustrated by the end, but not too terribly so and the overall experience was still pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmYg7dqPbFY
Twice got stuck trying to clear a room when I could have just bombed the walls to get through it.
Seems like bomb management is kind of important and I got nothing on that front.
"Feels like it's getting a bit long in the tooth", I say and not even halfway through the night.
I have no clue what I'm missing about dungeon 3. Maybe I messed up the tracker, but it says I still have an item left to find.
It looks like the tracker wanted me to enter level 2 and exit level 5 as a route to get to level 9. Totally don't get what that's about. Maybe recorder related?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDm46ZI5k1k
"But the white sword cave is still missing"
Yeah, I really should have just used my potion. I sorta forgot the red potion was two uses though and was trying to save it for Ganon since I thought it was one and done.

CptWedgie posted:

You were trying to figure out how to "upgrade" items on your tracker, right? Have you tried right-clicking? (Serious question; I can't hear your mouse, and I need to watch your videos a little at a time because schedules so I can't remember if you mentioned what you tried.)
I still haven't ever bothered to RTFM on this, but I do think I know what happened. There's no "upgrading" items so to speak. Just marking the items you acquire as you find them. I think the red ring on the overworld was part of the "white sword cave" that gets mentioned at the start of video 4. I found where the white sword cave is on the tracker and it would've let me track the red ring too. I have screenshots of this stuff, but it's on my other computer and I can't easily get to them right now. In the end I'm thinking it was hidden behind a perfectly sensible, but not immediately obvious to me tracker feature.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
DWR Random %

Last Rando % for me. I think three runs show off the fun combinations well enough. We didn't even end up with any true chaos monster slogs either. I'm ok with that. This last one worked out really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_IgN2JhfBU

Lol that I picked str/agi for this one when in hindsight str/hp would have been the way better choice. Go figure.
The whole idea behind a permanent repel seed is getting high attack power and low defense. You want to be able to kill things, but the higher your defense gets the more enemies get repeled and the fewer good fights you can find. There's a heck of a trade-off in finding Erdrick's Armor and pumping up the defense numbers but also being a big swamp map the armor let's me free walk over all the damage tiles. Since I had not great agility and no shield I felt like the armor was fine in my situation. If you're in a situation where you find the armor and it's not too hard to reach (like we were in with this seed) then you can always get rid of the armor by buying something cheap from a weapon shop. So if I needed to tank my def a bit so I had more monster options I could run off and buy some clothes for 20 gold and the game takes away my armor for the clothes. Whenever I was ready to dive charlock I just have to pop back in to mountain cave and grab armor from the chest again.
Once I saw that the Hauk's spike tile was a lovely 7 exp dragon I started eyeing what overworld monsters I was seeing. Because if I needed to grind to 17 somewhere, I wanted to have an idea about where exactly that should be. East of Charlock and maybe just a bit south was a zone with knights for 300 exp and maybe a couple other half decent monsters. I probably would have gone over there. It's a cruel loving joke that my spike tiles on a permanent repel seed were worth 7, 7, and 5 exp each. But...
...Three's Company finish was a great way to go. In the end I could have finished faster if I attempted that on the same dive that I used to check the charlock spike. It's no big deal though. I'm super happy that it all worked out.

I have some DWR stuff to show off still that I made myself. It probably won't ever see the light of day beyond this LP, but I think it's really neat. Still thinking about seeing what Blaster Master and Duck Tales are all about too. I played that a bunch as a kid so jumping in on a rando might be fun.

CptWedgie posted:

Hey guys, I'm back.

FFMQR 4-1, This Should Be Quick

Figured I'd do a nice and simple run to get back into things before I try out a new randomizer.
Dang, that's looking like quite the little jet seed.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 2, 2023

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR 4-3, Quest's End

Meant to post this yesterday at the latest, but... 4 hours of sleep.

Thanks for all the FFMQR! You convinced me to play it a bit myself and that's some pretty fun stuff. I've only scratched the surface of the possibilities though.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Duck Tales Randomizer!

Pulled from the big master list that Double Negative posted. I loved this one growing up so I gave it a go to see what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si8hildCTbI
Yeah, it's four years old and hasn't been updated in as many years. Not much to be said about it.
I do wonder if there was a way to make enough money to pay the toll in the Amazon. Maybe I missed something?
Having the randomizer basically remove Transylvania from the game in any real aspect was pretty funny.
All in all, it's fine. Just a quick hit and call it good.

I'm going through Blaster Master right now. I'll put that one up next in a day or two.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

CptWedgie posted:

It's not "new" in the sense of me not playing it before, but this is at least "new" in the sense of not having been posted in this thread yet.

Mario RPG Rando 1, The Cake Is Alive

For the record, this is the game I was trying to play when I said that it crashed when I leveled up.
I imagine how easy this can be is someone tied to how well you know the combat action timings?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Blaster Master Randomizer!

https://www.auriplane.net/blastermaster/
Here's the maps that I used. I didn't even read the paragraph at the top before playing so it turns out that I was right and the maps were pretty much just a rom dump. They were wildly useful for me though so I appreciate having them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs0GGpIAqkA
The robot voice returns. Still no clue where that's from.
The area two door that I first entered. If you don't break the majority of those blocks before entering the second room then none of the powerups will appear in it. That happens off camera a bit later.
Nice missle count.
LOL! I put in the wrong time when I fixed my accidental stoppage. Mental note if I do that again ctrl+8 will undo it.
Sorry for the detour, but we all learned something about mechanics today.
I keep saying "soft lock", but I turned off infinite lives so we could always get back to the top through death.
"If it's the crab we're in a bad place."

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MrecbdIPAU
1:52:50 on the timer, So that's when I bumped the map window placement.
Homing missles will come in handy. It occurs to me that I never once show off the lightening bolt. That should be a hint as to exactly how useful that weapon ends up being.
Don't recall if this comes up or I mention it later. But similar to how pausing when bombing the bosses will blow through their i-frames and keep damaging them, the same can be said about Jason (the hero). If you pause while you're being hit then you'll blow through your i-frames in no time flat and die.
Feels like I really lucked out with the placement of the flashing hover drop in area 1.
Special guest appearance at the end of the video by my OBS window.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
So you've been fighting a bunch of "bosses" this whole time, but none of them were actually Bosses? Do you know which ones are "bosses" and which are Bosses before you fight them or does it end up being a neat little surprise after various encounters?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V079SgugJeI
There we go, I do mention the innapropriate pause issue.
Driving down edges when you want to jump is the worst. Some of these area 8 jumps are terrible without using hover.
And I'm still death gripping that turbo button during the intense moments.
Yeah, totally abused the use of savestates here at the end.
INAPPROPRIATE PAUSE!
DOUBLE KO!!

Done and dusted. All in all this is a pretty cool randomizer to put a bit of life back in to Blaster Master. Doesn't do anything extra special, but mixes what's already there in fun and interesting ways. It's totally worth playing for anyone that enjoyed Blaster Master back in the day like I did.
Next up is my special little DWR project. That'll be two videos and won't kick off until next week. Then I'm ready to just sit back and take in all the goodies that everyone else is putting together in this thread.

CptWedgie posted:

There is no indication of which bosses are required until you've beaten them. Honestly, the racers might even take offense to that question, because half the race is finding out what you need to do to win. Again, I should've answered earlier, but I didn't want to double-post, and... well, :effort:.
Hey, if the mystery is half the fun then I'm all for it.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

cirus posted:

Jason can hit those worms ... that were giving you so much trouble
:aaaaa:
You know, that's really obvious in hindsight and I never for even a second considered it. My god. It almost makes me wanna play another round just to see it in action.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Link Warrior!

This one isn't a randomizer, but more of a setup to the next video which is randomizer stuff. So hopefully it fits within the confines of the thread. I still haven't actually recorded the rando run yet, but surely I'll have time at some point to get it done. I go over it in the video, but basically someone in the DWR discord requested to have the map from Zelda 2 put in as the overworld map in Dragon Warrior. So, I did it cuz it sounded like a fun learning opportunity. Afterwards I put it in to the randomizer with a couple of fun options. Sadly, I can't imagine it'll ever get implemented in the real program and I can't figure out how to make it a standalone program for other folks to use. So here it sits for me and me alone. Enjoy the video! I'll see about recording the rando version here soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlZTT11cBo

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Just a heads up, but the links are backwards.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Link Warrior!

And here's my final video for the thread. A somewhat standard flagset deep shuffle Z2 map run of DWR. I'm super happy with how this came out and managed to show off my work. Thanks for the thread, DoubleNegative! Thanks for all the wonderful content, everyone else!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCJUiBkrxkY
There's a tech you can use which I could have shown off but sorta forgot. When you search the Death Necklace you can only pick it up once. So when I found the DN in Kol I could have kept searching that one location repeatedly and get rewarded with ~150 gold each time. It would have taken maybe 30 seconds to grind out enough cash for the Full Plate and given me a really nice starting point for defense.
Lots of talk about the bridge between the two main continents. The connection is vanilla Z2, but since DW has the swamp cave to connect continents I figured utilizing it when possible would give a little more DWR flavor. So the logic dictated its removal.
The overworld search location is indeed a secret spot in Z2. I just totally forgot about it because it's such a nondescript location. I was also slightly too far up the coastline for the location I thought it was at as well.
I'm almost positive level 16 was go mode when taking the death necklace in to account. I just didn't even think about it until I was accidentally putting it on in front of charlock.
On that note, I already coded up a nice little bugfix for the cursed soft lock situation. So I guess I don't have to worry about that one anymore. Brecconary and the NPC that uncurses the hero was located on the first continent though so it was never a real concern for this run.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Double posting because....

quote:

Sign-ups for the 2023 Standard Tournament are now open!

https://tinyurl.com/DWR2023SummerRegistration
https://tinyurl.com/DWR2023SummerRules

As it says in the links above, you have until Friday, July 14th, at 12 PM EDT to sign-up!

This also starts the asynchronous qualifier portion of the tournament. This stage involves completing 5 seeds that you will submit by the above deadline as well. Qualifying is optional and only for seeding; you need not do them to join the tournament! However, it can be good practice, and being seeded in the tournament can possibly give you more favorable match-ups when the tournament starts.

Seed #1 - https://dwrandomizer.com/release/#flags=IVIAAVCAKACAAAAAAAAAAEAQ&seed=8767387344632283
Checksum: af2739f94b78314b

Seed #2 - https://dwrandomizer.com/release/#flags=IVIAAVCAKACAAAAAAAAAAEAQ&seed=6094874727773741
Checksum: a52d69de243d3c56

Seed #3 - https://dwrandomizer.com/release/#flags=IVIAAVCAKACAAAAAAAAAAEAQ&seed=3294935342299127
Checksum: 81ee6b8708856f6

Seed #4 - https://dwrandomizer.com/release/#flags=IVIAAVCAKACAAAAAAAAAAEAQ&seed=6642676198891017
Checksum: 5f7d8dc6d6f1ae92

Seed #5 - https://dwrandomizer.com/release/#flags=IVIAAVCAKACAAAAAAAAAAEAQ&seed=5626470715523813
Checksum: ef9f0252f7fe2c41

The submission form for all 5 qualifier seeds is here: https://tinyurl.com/23DWRQuals

Of special note, please make sure that if you stream your attempt (or upload it somewhere people can find it), that you have something very obvious in your stream title (like SPOILERS DWR async seed #3) so that nobody accidentally is spoiled on what the seed entails. Please do not discuss the qualifier seeds in public with anyone unless you know you both have completed them.

Updated sign-up sheet: https://tinyurl.com/2023DWRTRoster

An updated list of everyone who has submitted each individual async seed can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/23DWRQChecklist

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Odd Wilson posted:

Fair enough, thanks for the heads-up. Sometimes a randomizer bugs out or gives you a super obscure path forward. I still don't actually know if my Dark Souls randomizer can be completed, but I haven't run into a hard wall yet.
I ran in to something similar in the last video I did. The conditions were well on their way to set me up for a soft lock situation. Normally that wouldn't have been possible in standard DWR but since I was running my own code and it was sloppy af I hadn't yet mitigated that possibility. I went ahead and fixed it now, but sometimes these outliers can only be found by hitting them in the first place.

CptWedgie, you're doing a bang up job so by all means work at your own pace. I'm sure we're all good for whatever schedule you run.