Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
ive got a neighbor that has a crypto rig that he had someone build for him but he decided he wants to mine something different now because something changed (?)with what he HAD been mining and not it is bad apparently, and since I "know computer" he told me he would pay me to change over to mine the new coins and then also monthly for admin/upkeep on the thing moving forward.

I dont know poo poo about cryptlol but from a few hours research it looks like literally all I would have to do is open the .bat file associated with the coin he wants to change to that is already in the folder from the software he downloaded and change the default wallet to his own wallet and then run it.

Is it really that simple? He was trying to tell me that like various hardware might need to be replaced because of something about algorithms but again, from few hours of research, it looks like it shouldnt matter because he wants to mine something with KawPow which just runs off of your GPU?

I dont know man, it looks hella easy but like, too easy, so easy an idiot like myself could do it, does anyone have any experience with this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Do the world a favor and smash it all with a bat.

Or just make some poo poo up about how it's gonna take a lot of work and charge him a lot. cryptobros are real dumb and gullible on average - you could take advantage of that

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 11, 2023

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

cryptobros are real dumb and gullible on average - you could take advantage of that

Well as of now he is offering me $250 for what I think is editing a single line of a .bat file, so this checks out if I'm not wrong

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Nooner posted:

Well as of now he is offering me $250 for what I think is editing a single line of a .bat file, so this checks out if I'm not wrong

Yep, that's pretty much it. You put in your creds for whatever mining site you're using and then run the bat file. Milk that for sure.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

you have the opportunity to do the funniest scam of all time

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nooner posted:

ive got a neighbor that has a crypto rig that he had someone build for him but he decided he wants to mine something different now because something changed (?)with what he HAD been mining and not it is bad apparently, and since I "know computer" he told me he would pay me to change over to mine the new coins and then also monthly for admin/upkeep on the thing moving forward.

I dont know poo poo about cryptlol but from a few hours research it looks like literally all I would have to do is open the .bat file associated with the coin he wants to change to that is already in the folder from the software he downloaded and change the default wallet to his own wallet and then run it.

Is it really that simple? He was trying to tell me that like various hardware might need to be replaced because of something about algorithms but again, from few hours of research, it looks like it shouldnt matter because he wants to mine something with KawPow which just runs off of your GPU?

I dont know man, it looks hella easy but like, too easy, so easy an idiot like myself could do it, does anyone have any experience with this poo poo?

The catch is that crypto mining is heavily competitive. The payouts for any one algorithm aren't based on your absolute mining power but on what fraction of the total market's hashpower you make up, meaning everyone keeps spending more for more hashpower in a "red queen's race" to stay right where they are and the margins become razor thin. There are huge warehouses full of gpus sitting on dirt cheap coal power, previously in China but now in Texas, so if you don't get better electricity prices than them you will basically end up losing money on every coin mined just from the power costs, never mind equipment degradation etc.

There are hashpool services like nicehash that you can set up which will automatically switch between different algorithms and different blockchains based on whichever is paying the best at the moment so there wouldn't be any need to manually flip batch files back and forth... but again his power bill is gonna go up just as fast as his earnings do.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nooner posted:

is he offering you real hard cash or the buttcoin equivalent of $250

you should set up a smart contract with blockchain technology to ensure that he pays you for this work and also for future work

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Gonna go over to his place tonight and get him set up, we will see how it goes.

Boris Galerkin posted:

is he offering you real hard cash or the buttcoin equivalent of $250

Cash, I am entirely uninterested in cryptocurrency

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

but again his power bill is gonna go up just as fast as his earnings do.

This is why he got solar for his house. I know this because when we were getting it installed for our house he told us it was a waste of money unless you're gonna be mining

I guess in summary:

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

cryptobros are real dumb

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The rig wouldn't turn on :hmbol:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nooner posted:

The rig wouldn't turn on :hmbol:

goon success story imo

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I got it to work, the problem was that his cards were trying to run at way higher power than his PS could handle so I just set them to run at 55% and it's working now and he gave me the $250

It's been a hell of a ride guys :toot:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Congrats on making more money off that rig than he ever will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mondomole
Jun 16, 2023

I was surprised to hear that your neighbor is using GPUs at all, and I was curious to try to estimate the profitability of this rig. Looking into KawPow, it looks like the algorithm is designed to be ASIC-resistant, so GPUs are still competitive. Each 3080 Ti provides hash rate of approximately 60 Mh/s and the most efficient coin to mine seems to be RVN with hash rate of 6.65 Th/s mining a block per minute for 2500 RVN = call it $50 right now, giving expected profit of about $0.65 per day, assuming constant price and total hashrate. Let's round the card to $1000; we're looking at 4 years of mining just to recover the cost of that card, assuming everything else (e.g. power) is completely free. Let's assume 500 W power (I think this is on the extreme low end). According to this random article, a solar panel system comes out to $3 to $5 per watt, so call it (again, on lower end) $1500 of spend to power the card. This takes more than 6 years of mining to recoup the cost.

So over a decade of mining to break even on just the initial GPU and solar panel.

Oh yeah, but if RVN goes from $0.65 to $1,000,000,000,000 then I guess it's totally worth it.

mondomole fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 26, 2023