Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
OpenVMS 9.2 for x86-64 is now available both commercially and for hobbyists and runs on at least Sandy Bridge and later via VMware, VirtualBox, and KVM

it’s pretty neat, but…

it’s pretty shameful that it wants 6GB of RAM minimum, two 4GB or larger disks, and preferably two or more CPUs when OpenVMS 7.3 runs great on VAX with only 24MB of RAM and a couple hundred megabytes of disk, and OpenVMS 8.4 runs beautifully on Alpha with a couple hundred megabytes of RAM and a gigabyte of disk

anyway everybody should install VMS one way or another (OpenVMS 7.3 on SIMH works great) and set up a gooncluster via tunneled DECnet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

eschaton posted:

it’s pretty shameful

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
in 6GB I could run an emulated VAXcluster with something like 8 emulated 512MB VAXen with SIMH

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

in 6GB I could run an emulated VAXcluster with something like 8 emulated 512MB VAXen with SIMH

so do that. add "9.2" in the motd and the experience will be complete. it will be precisely as useful as the real thing too.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

well, why does it need so much ram?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

really scrambling for a way to get vms onto your 4gig ram sandy bridge servers huh?

seems like this should either be some archaeology thread where we're appreciating old garbage (in which case just stick with the *actual* old thing), or it is a claim of relevance, in which case these system requirements are obviously so slim as to be trivial.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op this looks pretty good but I don’t think it will run the janky 2012 pc port of dark souls that I’m currently playing so I think it’s a pass for me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

real question what is the possible commercial use for this

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i assume there's a bunch of vms servers out there doing important work that'll now get to go on vm's

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i assume there's a bunch of vms servers out there doing important work that'll now get to go on vm's

it’s this

at least once VSI finally finishes the COBOL and BASIC compilers

I think they didn’t even bother with porting BLISS :smith:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
is there an arm64 option?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what kind of software would be neat to run on OpenVMS?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

BLISS.SAV

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

windows emulator

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I've got a cheap VPS at a local data centre and they offer backups and a checkpoint/restore feature on their web admin panel but apparently they can't provide me a downloadable snapshot of the backup so I can run it locally, which is a pain in the rear end.

Is there any way to clone a Linux while its running, other than manual fuckery with copying and fstab? A tool would be useful. Especially if it could send it to an s3 bucket or something

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SpaceAceJase posted:

I've got a cheap VPS at a local data centre and they offer backups and a checkpoint/restore feature on their web admin panel but apparently they can't provide me a downloadable snapshot of the backup so I can run it locally, which is a pain in the rear end.

Is there any way to clone a Linux while its running, other than manual fuckery with copying and fstab? A tool would be useful. Especially if it could send it to an s3 bucket or something

I think you’re lost.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

akadajet posted:

I think you’re lost.

No comrade, my OS is a POS

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this is one of those things that seems like cool computer history but in reality exists solely to run the equivalent of quick books 1966 and generate a monthly report isn’t it

Geebs
Jun 1, 2022

The ø is silent.
if VMS was better, Cutler wouldn't have left to make NT

and now we have microsoft teams to show for it

in conclusion, yospos

Geebs fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 18, 2023

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bloody posted:

this is one of those things that seems like cool computer history but in reality exists solely to run the equivalent of quick books 1966 and generate a monthly report isn’t it

whoa don’t forget running GCC 2.95

more quickbooks 1986, my PDP-11 runs quickbooks 1966

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

OpenVMS 9.2 for x86, Getting Started part 2, auto boot, licenses, PAKs, networking and SSH

OS/360 vibes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

uh, not really? IBM, Control Data, Univac, Burroughs, and Digital Equipment all had fairly different OS styles; interestingly, Hewlett-Packard (and therefore Tandem) are rather IBM-esque except where they’re DEC-esque

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

i get where youre coming from, but nah, not really

VMS is a lot more like a modern text mode fullscreen os in that it contains a file system , text editors, and the IP stack is kinda sorta integrated into the kernel.

os/360 -> MVS -> z/OS pre dates literally all modern concepts of what an os provides beyond task scheduling and memory management, and you can trace where the memory stuff was tacked on if you look at how the memory model really works.

i need to get on that hobbyist VMS tho its baller

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fresh_cheese posted:

i get where youre coming from, but nah, not really

VMS is a lot more like a modern text mode fullscreen os in that it contains a file system , text editors, and the IP stack is kinda sorta integrated into the kernel.

os/360 -> MVS -> z/OS pre dates literally all modern concepts of what an os provides beyond task scheduling and memory management, and you can trace where the memory stuff was tacked on if you look at how the memory model really works.

i need to get on that hobbyist VMS tho its baller

z/os uss is such a quirky thing, like they try to provide a unix environment where you can't tell the difference but as soon as you push on just about anything the batch-and-dataset underpinnings show up

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

every time i try to read about old mainframe stuff it instantly turns into mirrors reflecting in mirrors and an endless sea of three letter acronyms. "to create a new DTL open a CMV and clone the KFO from the PLX", and trying to find out what any of that means is impossible because the documentation is burn-before-reading top-secret and nobody will tell you anything because they get paid six figures to know things other people don't. also everything is weird as hell - like the OS having no concept of a "file", or running an entire other OS inside it

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 20, 2023

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

carry on then posted:

z/os uss is such a quirky thing, like they try to provide a unix environment where you can't tell the difference but as soon as you push on just about anything the batch-and-dataset underpinnings show up

having

code:
 cp file.txt “//‘some.new.dataset’” 

actually do the needful is effing magic

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sweevo posted:

every time i try to read about old mainframe stuff it instantly turns into mirrors reflecting in mirrors and an endless sea of three letter acronyms. "to create a new DTL open a CMV and clone the KFO from the PLX", and trying to find out what any of that means is impossible because the documentation is burn-before-reading top-secret and nobody will tell you anything because they get paid six figures to know things other people don't. also everything is weird as hell - like the OS having no concept of a "file", or running an entire other OS inside it

there was a yospos thread years ago where someone got system 370 up and running in Hercules, that one was a saga as i recall

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

there's a youtube video about a kid who bought a zSystem and had to deal with all that bullshit - no documentation, nobody wanting to tell him anything, hardware being in the machine but disabled by the software licence he had, and the un-skippable 30-minute splash screen every time you switched it on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Sweevo posted:

there's a youtube video about a kid who bought a zSystem and had to deal with all that bullshit - no documentation, nobody wanting to tell him anything, hardware being in the machine but disabled by the software licence he had, and the un-skippable 30-minute splash screen every time you switched it on

thats not a splash screen thats how long it took the laptop to finish loading all the poo poo it runs. its still like that with current gen hardware because software always grows to fill hardware just like anywhere else.