Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

every time i try to read about old mainframe stuff it instantly turns into mirrors reflecting in mirrors and an endless sea of three letter acronyms. "to create a new DTL open a CMV and clone the KFO from the PLX", and trying to find out what any of that means is impossible because the documentation is burn-before-reading top-secret and nobody will tell you anything because they get paid six figures to know things other people don't. also everything is weird as hell - like the OS having no concept of a "file", or running an entire other OS inside it

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

there's a youtube video about a kid who bought a zSystem and had to deal with all that bullshit - no documentation, nobody wanting to tell him anything, hardware being in the machine but disabled by the software licence he had, and the un-skippable 30-minute splash screen every time you switched it on