Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Oshi No Ko

Stolen from AniList posted:

Gorou is a gynecologist and idol fan who’s in shock after his favorite star, Ai, announces an impromptu hiatus. Little does Gorou realize that he’s about to forge a bond with her that defies all common sense! Lies are an idol’s weapon!

Characters

Ai Hoshino

The Center Idol of B-Komachi, an Idol group managed by Strawberry Productions that is growing in popularity fast. She has gone on hiatus due to pregnancy, and has come out to the countryside to deliver in order to keep her pregnancy and her kids a secret from the wider world.

Gorou Amemiya

An OB-GYN at a remote rural hospital. Four years ago during his residency he became a fan of idol Ai Hoshino when a young, terminally ill patient shared his enthusiasm, so it's hard to hide his shock when sixteen-year-old Ai shows up, twenty weeks pregnant with twins.

Sarina Tendoji

Terminally Ill, The source of Gorou's Ai Fandom, Gorou would frequently chat with her and keep her company while she was stuck in the hospital, would talk about nothing but Ai., and has an infatuation with the Doctor.

Aqumarine and Ruby Hoshino

Ai's twins
Aquamarine(Aqua) is the intelligent one, Ruby takes more after her mother. Both incredibly talented, and seemingly have the same "It" that their mother does.
They both really really love their mom.

Ichigo Saitou and Miyako Saitou

President of Strawberry Productions and his wife, in order to keep the fact that Ai is the mother of the twins, publicly they act as their Parents.

Kana Arima

The Genius Actress who can Lick Baking Soda Like that
The Genius Actress who can cry in 10 seconds flat!

Child Actress who Aqua and Ruby run into on a set with their mom.

To steal a section head from the Manga thread.

Wow this all sounds quite strange (and a little creepy), are you sure this is good?
I'll just say they for a very specific reason decided to cut the first 10 chapters which is considered the prologue into just a 90 minute Movie length episode.
This show is interested in how entertainment industry in Japan works, and how it can affect those inside of it. By the end of the first 90 minute episode you should have a decent idea of what the show is going for. I would really really recommend at least giving it that much.

This is probably my favorite manga currently running. I would at least give it an episode or 2 to see what the series is going for, and how it gets there.

But yes it's premise just screams creep poo poo. It is not that. If you are concerned I will post a spoiler summary below.

Spoilers for the end of Episode 1 of the Series, and general tone afterwards

Goro Amemiya works as an OB-GYN in a small rural town and is a huge fan of upcoming idol Ai Hoshino. After an unexpected meeting, Goro ends up dying suddenly only to be reborn as one of Ai's children; a boy named Aquamarine Hoshino (or Aqua for short). He and his twin sister Ruby then grows up as one of show-biz's biggest secrets. Ruby is the reborn Sarina, and they both have memories of their former selves. At the end of episode One, Ai is murdered after it is leaked to one of her stans that she has children, Aqua and Ruby are adopted fully by Miyako, and Aqua swears revenge on whoever in the industry leaked this information, he figures the only person who would know is his dad, and since Ai always deflected when their father was brought up, he figures it must be someone known/powerful in the entertainment industry. The rest of the series is Aqua getting into the entertainment industry for revenge, and Ruby doing it because she wants to be like her mom. They only ever rarely touch on the reincarnation aspect, it's mostly there as a metaphor to represent the notion that Aqua and Ruby essentially have been acting their entire lives.

In Short

Dexo fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Aka sensei delivers.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Showbiz is war, a battle of lies and deceit.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i absolutely almost avoided this based on the premise until i asked people what was up. might be the anime i'm most excited to see more of this season.

seconding that this seems awesome and it is not as creepy as the description implies

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Insanely strong opener, don't think I've felt as compelled to watch the rest of a series for a long time.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

extremely good first episode. not a single punch pulled.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now does it carry that momentum into the rest of the series or does it taper off into what the show actually wants to do? I'm kind of getting mixed signals with the whole death and reincarnation into idols with a murder mystery but then the story is more about the workings of showbiz. So I still don't know if this is meant to be a drama, a comedy, a thriller, or if the wild poo poo of the opener was meant to grab attention before falling into line with a story that otherwise wouldn't get noticed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe I am a sucker, but I cried.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Now does it carry that momentum into the rest of the series or does it taper off into what the show actually wants to do? I'm kind of getting mixed signals with the whole death and reincarnation into idols with a murder mystery but then the story is more about the workings of showbiz. So I still don't know if this is meant to be a drama, a comedy, a thriller, or if the wild poo poo of the opener was meant to grab attention before falling into line with a story that otherwise wouldn't get noticed.
I think the premier set up a premise that will logically be mostly about showbiz? Aqua needs to get close enough to major actors to be able to take a hair sample, and the easiest way to do that will be to advance through the industry himself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Its a drama comedy thriller, and it owns

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

Its a drama comedy thriller, and it owns

I'm just wondering about how much the opening chapters really relate to the rest of the story. When I read "the big hook doesn't get brought up all that much" and "it's mainly a story about showbusiness" that makes me wonder how much of the story is following up on this opener and if it's a central throughline for the plot or just a setup for whatever story is actually going to be told.

Am I getting a story about a reincarnated gynecologist and a terminal cancer patient tracking down their mother's murderer as the main driving force of the narrative or is that just the opening premise that leads into "a show about showbiz."

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 13, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well the manga isn't over so only one person could answer that question with 100% certainty, but I'd say (extremely, extremely vague manga spoilers I'll spoil to be safe) it's fairly similar to Kaguya where the romance is the throughline but doesn't take center stage until the back half and instead there's a lot of comedy and gradual character introductions. Except replace "comedy" with "showbiz drama."

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 13, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm just wondering about how much the opening chapters really relate to the rest of the story. When I read "the big hook doesn't get brought up all that much" and "it's mainly a story about showbusiness" that makes me wonder how much of the story is following up on this opener and if it's a central throughline for the plot or just a setup for whatever story is actually going to be told.

Am I getting a story about a reincarnated gynecologist and a terminal cancer patient tracking down their mother's murderer as the main driving force of the narrative or is that just the opening premise that leads into "a show about showbiz."
both.

no, seriously, its both. the acting drama stuff is interspersed with them making moves about that stuff. as they make moves in that direction, the things they find out shape who they are as people and lead to further development of their characters that affects them in the more straightforward showbusiness stuff. they're interlinked. it isnt one or the other.

in terms of sheer amount of screentime, the acting/showbiz stuff has more of it - hence people saying thats what the show mainly focuses on - , but in terms of actual impact and importance on the story, they're equal. its a story about show business where the characters have the revenge murder investigation stuff as a motivation and thing that progresses alongside their careers.

not to mention the murder itself is specifically tied into the idol/celeb culture commentary stuff, given how and why it happened and ai's character.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 13, 2023

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Detective Conan but showbiz?

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Clarste posted:

Maybe I am a sucker, but I cried.

you're not alone. then i experienced abject terror when it cuts to starless eyed ai

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Knew about the doctor dying but knew nothing else so I was taken aback with the 2nd death. Incredible direction with the light fading from her eyes. Definitely going to be high on my watchlist.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

it does both of those things. the pacing in the manga does fluctuate a lil bit but i'm very optimistic that it'll work better as anime episodes.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Wow. I was aware of the reincarnation bit via internet osmosis, but the murder and... actual plot(?) caught me off guard. I was certain the baby doctor was going to find a way to save her, and the rest of the show would be some vicarious living through your children thing while she was permanently injured. Jaw dropped when it cut to her actual funeral, then more so when it just jumped another decade. Definitely in for the ride now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRtdQ81jPUQ

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I need to find the time to watch ep 1 but I already follow the manga and can I just say that I love the stupid idol sharingan.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Including the glowstick reflections was a nice touch.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I crying like a bitch

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ibblebibble posted:

I need to find the time to watch ep 1 but I already follow the manga and can I just say that I love the stupid idol sharingan.

I feel like they upped it here in the anime since the starry eyes have full small galaxies as well as the single big star

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, episode 1 was a tour de force even if you know what's going to happen.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

after some thought,
i cant think of a better First Episode than this. honestly

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Resisting the urge to argue against the haters like actual toddler Ruby.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I completely avoided everything about it when the manga first came out knowing it was by Akasaka because it was almost certain to be animated with how successful Kaguya has been. All I knew was that it involved idols in some way, which I'd typically not bother with but I knew there was going to be some kind of spin on it that would probably get me hooked. I picked up on what it's going for about the messed up nature of show business, but I never would have dreamed it was what it ended up being. That panning shot of Ai, God drat.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've started recommending this show to my weeb friends/coworkers who aren't familiar with the manga or more than the basic premise. The payoff should be fun to watch.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Got around to this. Pretty much nailed the level of quality I was hoping these chapters would get with some things that I did not expect (mainly animation flourishes). One of the stronger openings to a show I've seen in a while but you'd hope so given the length!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Youtube Tumblr Twitter get on producing fanart and fanfic already I am starving for a vibrant fansom.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
I went into this totally blind as an idol fan, figuring it would be silly fanservice.

And it had some of that sure

And then you know it also had other things and I did not expect to feel that hard

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Spoilers for episode 1 obviously, an interview with Rie Takahashi about her working on Oshi no Ko
https://anitrendz.net/news/2023/04/14/rie-takahashi-voice-of-ai-shares-passion-in-oshi-no-ko/

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Aqua is an all time piece of poo poo.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Gatekeep Gaslight Girlboss.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Dexo posted:

Aqua is an all time piece of poo poo.

Yeah, yo Aqua you're a dickbag.

Also, how the hell have those two not like talked about their previous life at all. Like a single conversation would have revealed they knew each other. It really beggers belief that they've gone so long without doing so.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I could kind of see it. Not like Ruby thought she had much to say about her previous life, and both agreed not to bother. And it seems Aqua had other more murder-y things to focus on after Ai's death, anyways.

edit: to be clear Aqua is still a huge dick

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like they both silently agreed that it's rude to pry, and it's not like it matters because no way they knew each other, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there was that moment where aqua seemed like he kind of realized it but just chose to keep it to himself/pretend otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I took that as him just thinking she reminded him of her, and immediately dismissing the thought that she actually is her as absurd.