Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yawgmoft posted:

Am I :thejoke: right now or is this real

The joke.

Also, in terms of the episodr cinematography, using the tampant voicing out of the harassment is an effective tool of psychological warfare.

Alongside Akane's face showing relief
And the reality of just broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I wasn't expecting that voice for Pieyon at all, but yeah it certainly works.

Also Kana reading that book about frilled lizards was definitely her doing research on what's up with lizard person Frill Shiranui.

Edit: Oof, Akane with that Faze Clan 80-20 split, that's rough.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 18, 2023

Korthal
May 26, 2011

BTW, since this chapter of the manga was written, Japan has made cyberbullying a crime because too many young people in show biz keep committing suicide.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ofc its insanely hard to prosecute if the people doing it have even any amount of tech savvy, and itd be ludicrous to lock people up just for criticizing a public figure, so it's been pretty rarely enforced, since its hard to make the distinction between normal amounts of insults and harassment. the only time i remember it coming up is a guy who made literally 200 accounts to yell at kimura.

this doesnt really seem like something you can legislate your way out of, its more a matter of social media websites giving people more tools to empower themselves to avoid this stuff, and attitude changes around how people use it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The online bits were handled well, but I thought the way the anime portrayed the scratch itself was kind of weird. Like, their relative physical positions combined with an "artsy" focus on abstracted lines of motion taking place in a void made it a little hard to picture what was actually happening as it was happening. I dunno, maybe that's just me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i kind of took that as like, how the audience saw it, both literally and metaphorically. they didnt get a good look at it and also they just made up what it actually was in their heads

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko9M-K5FJnQ

Never change, Little V.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

the shriek Akane gave out when Aqua pulled her from the ledge that she was gonna jump was so well delivered, since she had no idea if she was being attacked by one of her haters.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Recap episode next week apparently:
https://twitter.com/AniTrendz/status/1661394120517226496

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

akane acting like ai seems like the kind of thing that is going to create a problem in the future.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

i did not process that correctly and assumed the show was doing robo akane

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Darn they didn't try come up with some incredibly silly pun for Ruby's baking soda thing in the dub.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Bro is flabbergasted.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
okay but how did akane make her eyes do that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Agnostalgia posted:

She's an elite actress.

She's able to simulate the effects of the Idolgan, and Channel Ai.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dexo posted:

She's an elite actress.

Apparently it's not a bloodline limit.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agnostalgia posted:

baking soda

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Dexo posted:

She's an elite actress.

I’ve heard people on other forums refer to it as the Hoshigan, due to Ai and the twins’ last name, and I happen to think it fits very well, especially because of the design.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I never watched a naruto so the eye stuff will always be a geass to me

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I never watched a naruto so the eye stuff will always be a geass to me

It's a better comparison, it even manipulates people.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

each anime episode feels so short, but also it feels like alot of stuff actually happens

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

GateOfD posted:

each anime episode feels so short, but also it feels like alot of stuff actually happens

They can't all be over an hour long.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

episode ended on the perfect spot.

Akane <3
love crazy method actors

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

GateOfD posted:

The anime is essentially doing 3 chapters an episode, so yeah, a real brisk pace.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

WE ACT AGE NOW

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
:spins chair around: so you asked a method actor to do research on your mom

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

YOASOBI keeps making English versions of their openings and I'm all in for it. First Witch from Mercury, now this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkjSfZ30GM4

marumaru
May 20, 2013

that slaps

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That timing on the full face reveal with the light, the hair lift and the ED music drop.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

one of the few seasonal animes i keep the OP playing each week I watch

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought the eye thing was a bit much at the very beginning but they utilize it so well with everyone that has something going on with them. This week's ending was so good and slightly unsettling.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The anime is reminding me how many absolute banger moments there are in the manga, with the endings of the latest two episodes serving as prime examples of that. I also really liked how the anime depicted Akane's super deep dive into the new role she's going to take on. I haven't seen it in awhile so I'm sure it was good in the manga too, but that scene in particular seemed to benefit a lot to hearing her kind of manically diving into things, and filling up a wall with notes in the dark was good imagery. Those close ups on the eye movement were really fun too.

My fanname for the star eyes is just Oshigan, personally.

Yawgmoft posted:

:spins chair around: so you asked a method actor to do research on your mom

In fairness to Aqua, he didn't really know how intense Akane can get into a role. Guy just gave an honest answer, albeit one that's already loaded with issues since he knew Ai both as her doctor and as her child, and now he's reaping what he's sown.

With how much I've enjoyed Oshi no Ko and Kaguya, I hope Aka keeps on writing fun manga forever and that all his stuff gets full anime adaptations, even if it takes awhile for the adaptations to happen/complete.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 28, 2023

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Behind the Scenes Episode 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgz9pOYznqc

Korthal
May 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEseVh9pKJo

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If they ever do a live action version of Oshi no Ko, I wonder how they would show the star eyes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mraagvpeine posted:

If they ever do a live action version of Oshi no Ko, I wonder how they would show the star eyes.

You remember how in the Lord of the Rings movies they specifically filmed all of Cate Blanchett's scenes with a huge array of lightbulbs behind the camera so the reflection in her eyes made them look like they were glimmering with starlight?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

for oshi no ko they will make humanity's first expedition to a star going nova so they can film its reflection,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

probably just bad cgi

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

probably just bad cgi

You can be real about it but where's the fun in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
binged most of this over a couple days earlier this week.

dunno what it was gonna be about but it definitely wasn't this

(it's good)

really glad i had zero notion about it other than Idol or idol adjacent