Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trv-lwqnsQo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Mraagvpeine posted:

If they ever do a live action version of Oshi no Ko, I wonder how they would show the star eyes.

I mean I was gonna say really fancy contacts, but bad CGI is an even more likely answer. I don't like fun so I wanted to give a real answer.

Those Live Action Pieyon videos are great, and just that little bit of it has me thinking that live action Oshi no Ko will happen eventually and we actually will find out the answer to how they handle the eyes.

Anyway, the reason I stopped by the thread was to let everyone know that the Oshi no Ko OP hits like a truck when it comes on a Pandora playlist while you're doing work you've put off way too long. YOASOBI's really in a groove and stealing the show lately, but it's hard for me to picture them topping this one.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

good episode of Act-Age this week

don't cry Kana T_T

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 7, 2023

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I knew what was going to happen because I've read the manga, but drat, voiced and animated it hits so much worse. I get why Aqua is going this, but he broke or is going to break, two young girls' hearts today in the name of revenge.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The galaxy eyes is a really good motif animated.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Aqua you gently caress boi

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Do you think Akane also believes that Ai was murdered with the help of an accomplice, possibly the father of the secret child? You know, just her own spin on things to get into character.

(I love the whiplash in scenes like that and how Akane keeps unintentionally throwing Aqua off because she's just that good at researching her roles, girl should become a detective if the acting thing doesn't work out)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The pacing seemed a bit off in this episode to me, and it was the first episode so far where things didn't seem to gel as much as I wanted them to. I think that's mostly because where the last episode left off had me hype as hell for Akane in Ai mode and seeing Aqua react to that, and we didn't really get that much of it. It's also been a long time since I read this part of the manga, so while I remembered the general plot beats I didn't recall the details.

I guess the show was finally a victim of its own success for me because that end of episode 7 creates all kinds of possible fun dynamics, but then it just speedruns through all of it and wham the reality show's over. Ultimately I feel like it's just adapting what's a bit of a missed opportunity in the manga, but I can't help feeling my hopes got dashed a bit.

Man, even Aqua's decision to keep her close because she's useful for his revenge plans would land much harder if we got to see more of her falling in love with him and some more bits of him just hanging with her in general before he has his little existential crisis chat with Kana there.

I do like that even with some stuff not really landing for me, the end result is an okay episode. I will say that the approach to the episode endings and how the theme comes in is definitely working for me, and I'd be totally fine with every anime having an ED with a good opening hook and letting the first bits of it bleed over into the end of the episode. I know it's been done before, but I feel like it's typically (but not always) a rare gimmick and it just seems really effective and fun to do it all the time.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

That scene with Kana being giddy over the fact that she's a year older then Aqua had me grinning like a goof. I just loved everything about it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

NowonSA posted:

The pacing seemed a bit off in this episode to me, and it was the first episode so far where things didn't seem to gel as much as I wanted them to. I think that's mostly because where the last episode left off had me hype as hell for Akane in Ai mode and seeing Aqua react to that, and we didn't really get that much of it. It's also been a long time since I read this part of the manga, so while I remembered the general plot beats I didn't recall the details.

I guess the show was finally a victim of its own success for me because that end of episode 7 creates all kinds of possible fun dynamics, but then it just speedruns through all of it and wham the reality show's over. Ultimately I feel like it's just adapting what's a bit of a missed opportunity in the manga, but I can't help feeling my hopes got dashed a bit.

Man, even Aqua's decision to keep her close because she's useful for his revenge plans would land much harder if we got to see more of her falling in love with him and some more bits of him just hanging with her in general before he has his little existential crisis chat with Kana there.

I do like that even with some stuff not really landing for me, the end result is an okay episode. I will say that the approach to the episode endings and how the theme comes in is definitely working for me, and I'd be totally fine with every anime having an ED with a good opening hook and letting the first bits of it bleed over into the end of the episode. I know it's been done before, but I feel like it's typically (but not always) a rare gimmick and it just seems really effective and fun to do it all the time.

I mean, they’re keeping the pace they’ve had for the entirety of the run since the 2nd episode where they adapt 3 chapters an episode on the dot. It began and ended right where chapters 29-31 began and ended.

Maybe it just feels off to you because you were expecting Doga Kobo to expound on things from the chapters involved and it didn’t happen?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I've seen some people say they wanted them to adapt the first two pages of 32 into this episode, perhaps that would have changed the pace a bit? I only read the first volume so I don't know what that would have changed.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

in the end, the actual dating show doesn't matter. that's why instead of actually showing what else went on, it just showed what was important

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Rewatched episode 1 with a friend so I looked up what kind of (presumeably) cancer Sarina had on my phone since I still thought it was neat that she didn't just have generic anime mystery disease. It's rare brain cancer, but I looked into it a bit more and

quote:

Astrocytomas are a type of brain tumor. They develop in star-shaped brain cells called astrocytes, which form part of the tissue that protects the nerve cells in your brain and spinal cord.

Astrocytomas are classified by their grade. Grade 1 and grade 2 astrocytomas grow slowly and are benign, meaning they’re not cancerous. Grade 3 and grade 4 astrocytomas grow faster and are malignant, which means they’re cancerous.

An anaplastic astrocytoma is a grade 3 astrocytoma. While they’re rare, they can be very serious if left untreated. Keep reading to learn more about anaplastic astrocytomas, including their symptoms and the survival rates of people who have them.

Oh god, is the eye thing just tumors?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

wow that's a nice catch

Coxswain Balls posted:

lol

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Coxswain Balls posted:

Rewatched episode 1 with a friend so I looked up what kind of (presumeably) cancer Sarina had on my phone since I still thought it was neat that she didn't just have generic anime mystery disease. It's rare brain cancer, but I looked into it a bit more and

As a general rule if you hear the word anaplastic to describe a cancer, it's very bad news.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDCA1QJOG64

Whoo, Pepper Workout time!

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
This week we find out more about MEM, and continue to see that Kana is clearly the teams favorite character

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Aqua player gently caress boy

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i just realized that the VA for Ruby is really good lol

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
for those unaware, that whole music video was two panels in the manga

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
They put a baking soda shirt on Kana when they were doing the dance practice :lol:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

marumaru posted:

i just realized that the VA for Ruby is really good lol

It’s amazing that this is her first major role too.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

animated mem is glorious

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

GhostStalker posted:

It’s amazing that this is her first major role too.

Aka-based works are 2/2 in hiring newbie VAs for their main roles.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Raserys posted:

OnK’s marketing team have already put the MV up on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shEwhe3sDpo

EDIT: Pepper Workout also has a video on YouTube out now, but it’s just the clip from the episode looped 7 times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPvD-dfIiEs

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 15, 2023

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I noticed this anime isn't shy about using real company names like YouTube and TikTok. Most manga and anime usually make up fake names (countless wacdonalds and starbacks and hoogle and the like). Is there a reason they're so cavalier with it? Not that it really matters either way, just curious

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I don't know if it's the eyes, the camera framing, or her deadpan commentary on human relationships, but Shiranui is giving me serious Nice Pete vibes.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Raserys posted:

Yeah, I guess my major hangup from the previous episode is that I built up Aqua's reaction to Akane in Ai mode in my head as being a super major thing when it was only a fairly major thing and moved past pretty quickly. So when that didn't get expanded on, I felt pretty bummed by that. It's most likely a combination of my fuzzy memory of how that part of the manga went and me falling for Ai all over again, only even harder this time, in the anime. So like Aqua when I got even a hint of Ai I had a strong reaction to that and wanted to see more of that imitation portrayed.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Aka-based works are 2/2 in hiring newbie VAs for their main roles.

Yeah Aoi Koga crushed it as Kaguya. Looking through her past works for the first time I also saw that one of her earliest roles was as "Woman" In Rokka no Yusha (the anime my avatar is from), so clearly she had a nose for high quality projects right from the start!

It's also fun to think about how Rie Takahashi auditioned for Akane but ended up cast as Ai, so we weren't far off from a world where she would've ended up doing an imitation of how someone else performed Ai if she had got the Akane part instead.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GhostStalker posted:

OnK’s marketing team have already put the MV up on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shEwhe3sDpo

EDIT: Pepper Workout also has a video on YouTube out now, but it’s just the clip from the episode looped 7 times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPvD-dfIiEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OsWqu-F66o

Dance choreo video for pepper workout.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Pepper Workout now has a full minute and a half song complete with choreography video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OsWqu-F66o

ssg OnK marketing team

E:f;b

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

drat, at this rate we're getting a full 3 person choreography of the upcoming idol stage debut. If they're doing this for the freakin' pepper song I feel like they gotta do it for that. I'm certainly here for it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

NowonSA posted:

drat, at this rate we're getting a full 3 person choreography of the upcoming idol stage debut. If they're doing this for the freakin' pepper song I feel like they gotta do it for that. I'm certainly here for it.

Depending on what song they have B-Komachi do at TIF, they probably already have. Right after the first episode was released, OnK’s YouTube channel released a couple of 3 man choreography videos for 3 of B-Komachi’s songs heard in the episode, and also a video of Rieri dancing AI’s part in one of those songs. Those videos are what convinced me that we’d be seeing at least this arc animated, before the OP video dropped and confirmed it for me.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
My god, they did it for an hour straight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbUARhRl-mc

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

this week p much cements Kana Arima as my favorite character

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I am going to buy as many Kana Arima figurines as I can find.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
If Kana Arima has a million fans, I'm one of them.
If Kana Arima has one fan, then I'm that fan.
If Kana Arima has no fans, that means I'm dead.
If the world is against Kana Arima, I'm against the world.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Overlord K posted:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Overlord K posted:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Overlord K posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Overlord K posted: