Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Youre already stearing with you're knee right, so one hand free to pop open the portable CD player on the passenger seat and change CD

the other hand holding a smoke

its playing thru one of those cassette player adapters, and charging from the cigarette lighter

Wee fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Psst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTfrJewi9g

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Piss Creep posted:

Youre already stearing with you're knee right, so one hand free to pop open the portable CD player on the passenger seat and change CD

the other hand holding a smoke

its playing thru one of those cassette player adapters, and charging from the cigarette lighter

Oh yeah plugging the loving cd player into the cigarette lighter, I forgot about that too, wow

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost
My high school band rig from 1982

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

stephen_falken posted:

My high school band rig from 1982

this guy ias the real freakin deal......

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
Going over a big pothole and the song skips/jumps to the next track

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

whats a good portable tape deck? i got a sony and the thing that spins the tape broke. :(

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

flubber nuts posted:

whats a good portable tape deck? i got a sony and the thing that spins the tape broke. :(

From what I understand there's only a handful of factories in China all making the shittiest quality tape mechanisms and the way to go is find something from the late 80's/90's that has either had its belt(s) replaced or can be easily serviced if you're feeling handy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the tape is split down the middle, side A is on one side, side B is on the other. It's not on the front and back of the tape that would not work at all.

:aaa: Good to know.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just FYI op you can fit dozens of songs on your phone

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

I agree so much that in addition to spending $300 on a refurb'd TEAC reel to reel last summer, I spent $350 on this silly bullshit

it's not the most useful thing in my rack but it's the funniest. Also it's got a gate in / tru so you can use it as a weird drum machine pretty easily, also works super well with looptapes, obviously

here's about 1/3 of our cassette collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVon_9VmMEc

here's my favorite cassette-based ambient performance

https://heimatderkatastrophe.bandcamp.com/

This is my favorite label who make regular cassette releases, mostly a mix of dungeon core and soviet-bloc inspired synthwave.

CASSETTE LIFE

e: new, sealed, Maxwell Gold tapes from the 90s era eBay for about 30% more than they cost new, inflation adjusted :allears:

Thank you for this nice, beefy post. That's a cool looking rig! Would deffo read/watch anything you feel like posting about your work with it and/or your TEAC reel-to-reel.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Just FYI op you can fit dozens of songs on your phone

yeah but sometimes i want to listen to music without having an electronic leash on me. plus it lacks many of the qualities that i listed in the op

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
I think I went through at least 3 Licensed to Ill tapes.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Sticking cassettes in my pocket while riding my bike would melt the loving tapes. Went through a couple copies of Weird Al in 3D before I just started making copies.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

can we just call them music cases? why the constant need to feminize them as “cassettes”. does everything have to be woke these days?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9QBn9i4EQ

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Hey! One of my friends is at a museum of african american musical history somewhere and sent me a bunch of pics that include these

olives black posted:

Thank you for this nice, beefy post. That's a cool looking rig! Would deffo read/watch anything you feel like posting about your work with it and/or your TEAC reel-to-reel.

I should qualify that I misspoke, and just meant a 2-cassette player that can play and record. But, hopefully posting a picture of a used-by-famous-people actual TEAC reel-to-reel redeems me a bit :ohdear:

e: that one is, I guess, the only reel to reel from Black Ark that survived the studio fire and it was used by Lee Scratch Perry until his death. The charred hunk on top is part of the studio! TIL

edit2:

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 13, 2023

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
there was a girl at work we called victrola...

you had to wind her up to make her work

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

dee eight posted:

there was a girl at work we called victrola...

you had to wind her up to make her work

https://youtu.be/JP18XTBkK60

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost

I should qualify that I misspoke, and just meant a 2-cassette player that can play and record. But, hopefully posting a picture of a used-by-famous-people actual TEAC reel-to-reel redeems me a bit :ohdear:

When my father passed in 2016, he left me all his music gear. He had an obscure career in bluegrass music before I was born, and his cousin was Patsy Cline. His favourite story was when John R. Cash tried to buy his 1958 Gibson J-45, and my Dad said no; that's pretty badass IMHO. So here's the TEAC Dad left me, sitting in my garage this afternoon. Out of necessity I use a digital studio setup, but one day I'll make an entirely analog record. This baby still works fine, and one of my ongoing projects is ripping the box full of reels in case I find anything important. PEACE, Falken

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Hey! One of my friends is at a museum of african american musical history somewhere and sent me a bunch of pics that include these

e: that one is, I guess, the only reel to reel from Black Ark that survived the studio fire and it was used by Lee Scratch Perry until his death. The charred hunk on top is part of the studio! TIL

edit2:

These are good offerings. You have been redeemed :angel:

stephen_falken posted:

When my father passed in 2016, he left me all his music gear. He had an obscure career in bluegrass music before I was born, and his cousin was Patsy Cline. His favourite story was when John R. Cash tried to buy his 1958 Gibson J-45, and my Dad said no; that's pretty badass IMHO. So here's the TEAC Dad left me, sitting in my garage this afternoon. Out of necessity I use a digital studio setup, but one day I'll make an entirely analog record. This baby still works fine, and one of my ongoing projects is ripping the box full of reels in case I find anything important. PEACE, Falken

Sounds like your Dad was a p cool dude! :clint:

Best of luck in your analog endeavors, Falken.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

thinking to maybe start buying some stuff on cassette again, I mostly listen to metal and they've very much moved back to vinyl and cassette releases as a genre and I have a unit that does both

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MrQwerty posted:

thinking to maybe start buying some stuff on cassette again, I mostly listen to metal and they've very much moved back to vinyl and cassette releases as a genre and I have a unit that does both

Yeah, there's a ton of metal on cassette now. Check out the Eternal Death label if you haven't already :rock:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

My buddy runs Desert Records and I know they've done some stuff on cassette with Heavy Temple recently, and I do love some Heavy Temple

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNOQTt7AULw

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hi, do you mind if I put my 1 ft3 rare earth magnet next to this? I need to take a pic for social and i love tapes and magnets!!

quote:

CASSETTE LIFE

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Someone left this at my office and I yoinked it. Works like a charm. I went to Goodwill later that day and picked up a haul of greatest hits tapes, and a pristine copy of Please Hammer, Don't Hurt Em! for like 6 dollars.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lmbo loving vinyl yeah because I want to have to get up and flip some stupid giant piece of poo poo over every half an hour to keep listening to music I sure wish I still had to start my car with a hand crank too

Tape player can automatically switch side cause they fancy :smug:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Bedhead and Happy Jawbone Family Band have sent me tapes but I ain't got nothing to listen to them on. Maybe my dad's set up. Walkmen on ebay are like $200 and I hope those sellers get hit by cars cuz gently caress u.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Weird thing that this thread was created today because yesterday I found my cassette collection from when I was a kid/preteen while cleaning out my mom’s house. Still got the first (at the time new) album I ever bought with my own money: Beastie Boys’ Licensed to Ill on cassette :c00l: Also found my TEAC reel-to-reel player with dozens of spools of tape and a TEAC Dolby noise reduction unit. They were all neatly tucked away in the spare bedroom’s closet.

The TEAC stuff I bought as a teen for like :10bux: in the mid ‘90s because it was obsolete equipment at the time and people would practically give them away just to be rid of them. That poo poo goes for hundreds of dollars now. Wish I still had half of the stuff I used to buy and fool around with when I was a teen like the massive Marantz quad receiver I bought for :fivecbux: :(

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Nooner posted:

Lmbo loving vinyl yeah because I want to have to get up and flip some stupid giant piece of poo poo over every half an hour to keep listening to music I sure wish I still had to start my car with a hand crank too

Tape player can automatically switch side cause they fancy :smug:

Was watching an interview with Steve Albini where he was talking about how he had to cut new masters for the vinyl releases of Big Black records (which all came out in the 80's) because the old ones corroded.

And what did they cut those new masters from? The same tapes on which they originally recorded the albums :smug:

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

kntfkr posted:

Walkmen on ebay are like $200 and I hope those sellers get hit by cars cuz gently caress u.

this just makes me think of the dozens of them I've passed by over the years, at garage and estate sales, thrift stores, flea markets, etc. Seeing retro video game skyrocket during the pandemic hosed me up too.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

kntfkr posted:

Bedhead and Happy Jawbone Family Band have sent me tapes but I ain't got nothing to listen to them on. Maybe my dad's set up. Walkmen on ebay are like $200 and I hope those sellers get hit by cars cuz gently caress u.

Best Buy has cassette capable boomboxes sometimes for around $50

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I have that Sleep album they recorded live direct to acetate at Third Man but every other vinyl I own ain't that, it's more artwork and having a physical copy that isn't going to rot/cool poo poo. They all come with digital downloads anyway, for the most part.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

olives black posted:

Best Buy has cassette capable boomboxes sometimes for around $50

I mean, if you want to listen to audio quality garbage, then fine.

DO NOT SPEAK TO ME UNTIL YOU KNOW THE SERIOUSNESS OF WOW AND FLUTTER!!!!!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MrQwerty posted:

I have that Sleep album they recorded live direct to acetate at Third Man but every other vinyl I own ain't that, it's more artwork and having a physical copy that isn't going to rot/cool poo poo. They all come with digital downloads anyway, for the most part.

Yeah that's really the thing with vinyl - the increased space for art and the long life of the record (assuming you don't find some way to gently caress it up)

EVIL Gibson posted:

I mean, if you want to listen to audio quality garbage, then fine.

DO NOT SPEAK TO ME UNTIL YOU KNOW THE SERIOUSNESS OF WOW AND FLUTTER!!!!!

yeah but I'm not ready to drop 4 figgies on a Nakamichi Dragon and I don't think kntfkr is either :(

olives black fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 14, 2023

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I also have this:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

olives black posted:

Had a CD player in high school.
CDs nuts

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Heavily compressed MP3s downloaded from limewire arent just something im nostalgic for, they are better that other ways of getting music and in this essay i wil....

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

afen posted:

I also have this:

Ooooh that's a sleek model! I'm jelly.

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Hey veteran cassette heads, what's your go-to method for demagnetizing heads? From what I've read there's the cassette one and the wand one. The wand one is supposed to be more thorough but can also re-magnetize parts if you screw it up. Cassette method is obvs a lot easier, but is it good enough?