Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Buce posted:

my old toyota tercel devoured so many of my beloved tapes. i probably bought the same john prine album like 5 times because the deck kept mangling them :(

Lol if you want to install a cd player in one of those fuckers you have to take out the whole dash, glovebox, basically get a welding torch to cut out the old mount clips or just bend them out of the way, find some weird rear end single DIN mounting kit (still never sits flush) and then put p much everything back together but the steering column and gauge cluster. :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

olives black posted:

I like the buttons on that player. Nice and fat and symmetrical

Pretty sure I had that desk CD/tape combo unit as a kid.

It's pretty good. Has a couple issues though. For one, my volume sliders are missing, and the parts seemingly don't exist. The equipment inside is unshielded, so I have to keep it away from my cell phone or other strong RF sources. And the tape door is a weak point; there is a hinge on one side, and a flat metal fork that that pushes a peg on the other, and that thing comes loose very easily with just a little upward pressure on the door.

That said, it's all metal and hard plastic construction inside, and will take a belt clip from a drill mounted with a screw, which is a big improvement over most players.

It's old, being from 1980, but it's pretty good. My understanding is that GE paid another Japanese company, maybe Sanyo or something, to reverse engineer the original Walkman, and this was the result.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

olives black posted:

Think I might put some more effort into the OP soon. There's some cool stuff coming down the pipe!

New portable tape player is available for pre-order and ships in a couple of weeks. The previous model was audiophile approved:

https://youtu.be/vS-4EhkU-m8

Just got it.

Haven't really put it through its paces yet, but I've noticed that the rewind leaves the tape slack. Which is fine, I have a hexagonal Bic.

Quick A/B of the sound quality using:

- Bose noise cancelling headphones
- Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (ripped from vinyl record to Maxell UR Type 1 cassette)
- Fresher batteries in Player A than Player B

Player A: Used Sony Walkman WM-EX112 without Mega Bass or noise reduction enabled
Player B: Tape Roller +

Gotta admit - the Walkman sounds significantly better. The drums on Funeral Fog have more definition, and it's just louder at its max volume overall.

I really wish Sony would get back in the game and make these things properly.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

It's pretty good. Has a couple issues though. For one, my volume sliders are missing, and the parts seemingly don't exist. The equipment inside is unshielded, so I have to keep it away from my cell phone or other strong RF sources. And the tape door is a weak point; there is a hinge on one side, and a flat metal fork that that pushes a peg on the other, and that thing comes loose very easily with just a little upward pressure on the door.

That said, it's all metal and hard plastic construction inside, and will take a belt clip from a drill mounted with a screw, which is a big improvement over most players.

It's old, being from 1980, but it's pretty good. My understanding is that GE paid another Japanese company, maybe Sanyo or something, to reverse engineer the original Walkman, and this was the result.

How does it compare to any other portable players you might have, sound-wise?

olives black fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 2, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

olives black posted:

How does it compare to any other portable players you might have, sound-wise?

Well, that depends. It's no frills, to be sure. Only features are a manual volume cut button, a High tone cut switch, two stereo headphone outputs, and independent Left/Right channel volume control. You can also adjust the head azimuth pretty easily and dramatically.

That said, the mechanism and head seem pretty good to me, and are better than the Sony Sport Walkmans and other branded tape players I've had. As long as you aren't someone who needs noise reduction, type selectors, a tape reverse play mechanism and "mega bass," it's amazing. It does one job, and does it well.

[Edit] OH and that fucker gets LOUD!

[Edit 2] If you want to look it up, it's called the General Electric Stereo Escape

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 31, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Well, that depends. It's no frills, to be sure. Only features are a manual volume cut button, a High tone cut switch, two stereo headphone outputs, and independent Left/Right channel volume control. You can also adjust the head azimuth pretty easily and dramatically.

That said, the mechanism and head seem pretty good to me, and are better than the Sony Sport Walkmans and other branded tape players I've had. As long as you aren't someone who needs noise reduction, type selectors, a tape reverse play mechanism and "mega bass," it's amazing. It does one job, and does it well.

[Edit] OH and that fucker gets LOUD!

[Edit 2] If you want to look it up, it's called the General Electric Stereo Escape

They're going for around $100-150 on eBay.

hmm...

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

olives black posted:

They're going for around $100-150 on eBay.

hmm...

Really? Got mine from either Goodwill's auction site or ebay for peanuts. Had to adjust head, play speed and do belts to put it right.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I've got a Nakamichi CR-1A that I'm thinking of selling, would anyone here be interested? I bought it restored and refurbished 2 years ago. I turn it on and run it at least once a month to keep the heads loose but otherwise have barely used it. It's in beautiful shape.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Big Bizness posted:

I've got a Nakamichi CR-1A that I'm thinking of selling, would anyone here be interested? I bought it restored and refurbished 2 years ago. I turn it on and run it at least once a month to keep the heads loose but otherwise have barely used it. It's in beautiful shape.

I might! Gotta look into setting up a P.O. Box as I'd rather not expose my real name and/or address if I can avoid it, though. If you find a buyer before I get my poo poo together then no hard feelings :)

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

olives black posted:

I might! Gotta look into setting up a P.O. Box as I'd rather not expose my real name and/or address if I can avoid it, though. If you find a buyer before I get my poo poo together then no hard feelings :)

Sure, whatever works.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ah I think I've found a suitable candidate for my new (1990) car.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ah I think I've found a suitable candidate for my new (1990) car.

That is a beauty!

It sucks that lobbyism killed FM radio here in Norway, otherwise I would have like 20 vintage head units in rotation in my 1999 Honda.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
here's a cool thing we learned about cassettes in 8th grade: the tape reels make awesome streamers

rewind/ff the whole way, wrap the end around your wrist a few times and throw as hard/high as you can, that poo poo zips and leaves a fun trail of Eddie Money music in the air that wafts and caroms on the drafts

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

All the Rolling Stones albums I've ever owned have sounded perfect on cassette tape, and somehow weirdly lacking in every other format. So I'm inclined to agree here

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Post your most expensive tape

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

evobatman posted:

That is a beauty!

It sucks that lobbyism killed FM radio here in Norway, otherwise I would have like 20 vintage head units in rotation in my 1999 Honda.

:wrong:

dab owns, get an adapter instead

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

AEMINAL posted:

The first official Bolt Thrower recording, a live rehearsal in december 1986. It never came with artwork insert and was quickly discontinued. Idk what it's worth to be honest, but original BT stuff often goes for several hundred bucks and this is probably their rarest release, it also has three instrumentals that were never used on any later recording.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

AEMINAL posted:

And gently caress no I'm not putting a dab adapter in my car! My dashboards need to be clean and original, without dongles or adapters.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tankakern posted:

:wrong:

dab owns, get an adapter instead

Dab sucks poo poo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

evobatman posted:

That is a beauty!

I heard of that utter piece of stupidity years ago and couldn't believe it. I still can't.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I have a big-ish cassette collection (around 100 now), originally because they're just cheaper than vinyls to collect, but also now I find listening to them a good way to "unplug" a little and not be on my phone constantly.

Some record companies I keep up with also have deals on surprise / mystery cassettes and cassette bundles when they're clearing house which is a win/win because I get them cheaper and can check out new bands in the process.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

AEMINAL posted:

here's some of mine:

if you know, you know ;)

here's my "tower of power":

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Started collecting tapes this year and it's been a lot of fun. Up to 130 right now and I've been using random number generators to decide which one to listen to from the collection. I love the chonky buttons that cassette players.

Started with one of those new Bluetooth players, but upgraded(?) to a used Aiwa player which sounds a lot better! Figuring out storage is less fun, but I must continue this addiction. Who knew that cataloging via spreadsheets and re-alphabatizing the collection could be so enjoyable?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Does anyone know if those 100 count wooden tape holders are available in the EU?

Or am I going to have to build one.... :(

JSmithOTI posted:

Started collecting tapes this year and it's been a lot of fun. Up to 130 right now and I've been using random number generators to decide which one to listen to from the collection. I love the chonky buttons that cassette players.

Started with one of those new Bluetooth players, but upgraded(?) to a used Aiwa player which sounds a lot better! Figuring out storage is less fun, but I must continue this addiction. Who knew that cataloging via spreadsheets and re-alphabatizing the collection could be so enjoyable?

Nice!

You should check Discogs out, it lets you add your collection easily.

One of my hobbies is making my own custom j-card art for albums that never had cassette releases, and recording them ofc. Got a stash of really nice chrome tapes waiting to be used.

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 27, 2023

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

AEMINAL posted:

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

holy gently caress

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Grab Im Moor posted:

The first official Bolt Thrower recording, a live rehearsal in december 1986. It never came with artwork insert and was quickly discontinued. Idk what it's worth to be honest, but original BT stuff often goes for several hundred bucks and this is probably their rarest release, it also has three instrumentals that were never used on any later recording.

Holy poo poo!! That rules

E- one of them sold on Discogs for $10.75 in 2020 but I’m guessing someone just got super lucky. It’s the only sale on record there

Snowy fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 27, 2023

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i don't have a pic but i have the hand printed version of this with only 5 copies made

https://tapeofthemonthclub.bandcamp.com/album/drumetrics-drb-adb-001-tape-only

i don't buy tapes for hypebeast rarity but i wanted the two tape only tracks and when i looked, it was there

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

AEMINAL posted:

A copy of this: https://www.discogs.com/release/3078111-Laserdisc-Visions-New-Dreams-Ltd

Bought it after a live set. Wish I'd picked up a copy of everything that was on offer, but I only had pockets enough for the one tape lol

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 27, 2023

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I found a treasure trove of blank cassettes at Goodwill Outlet. 80+ cr02 and metal tapes. I sold the duplicates and kept one of each.

The crown jewel of my collection is this Denon.

I am planning on recording a favorite mix or album to it.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 29, 2023

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

AEMINAL posted:

here's some of mine:

if you know, you know ;)

nice

this is mine. got it signed at a live show last month too. ive also got a one of one ekoplekz that might be worth something if anyone knew who ekoplekz was lol.

flubber nuts fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 29, 2023

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i dont agree op however i do love old machines so i still use the cassette deck in my 83 rx7 cause it's fun to use antiquated technology in daily use

You have an 83 rx7? I wanna sex now

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

These are my main tape decks.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol that Pioneer is sick

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

A 6 cassette changer is one of the funniest things I own.

I bought it for like $10 and it's fully functional.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Started collecting bandcamp stuff on old formats, including cassette! I'm planning on going thrifting soon to pick up 80s looking clothes and a walk-man, and walk around the city listening to it like I'm some weird 80s time traveller.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Snowy posted:

Holy poo poo!! That rules

E- one of them sold on Discogs for $10.75 in 2020 but I’m guessing someone just got super lucky. It’s the only sale on record there

Yeah old demo cassettes are more of a niche collecting topic I think. It doesn't look like much if you don't know, and there is nothing/little to find online regarding value/sales history compared to CDs & vinyl.
And there are a lot of tape trading dubs and bootlegs around, especially for the bigger more collectible bands we used to swap rare live and demo stuff a lot. So it's not reasonable for an old head to be like, well :10bux: for this old cassette I found in my basement :shrug:? But sometimes these things can explode on auction, for example a few years ago I've seen BT's Concession of War demo on UK ebay sell for almost 300$ and I have sold some of my old tapes myself for that kind of money.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fps_nug posted:

You have an 83 rx7? I wanna sex now

w/ posing dog (cassette deck not pictured)

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Happy 60th to the compact cassette! I celebrated by making some mixtapes.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Outside on my day off listening to tapes - here's my full collection!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
The old tape deck my pops had died, trying to find a new one so we can keep listening to all the old cassettes he has and transfer them over. Is it recommended if im looking for another tape deck to go with something older thats been refurbished or buy a new one from the couple companies that still make em like TEAC and the like?