Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
New tape decks are nowhere as good as older ones made in the 80s, when you get into the 90s they tend to have lots of electronics that wasn't as durable or repairable as what the 80s ones. Mid to late 80s refurbished by someone would be the best bet if you can't do it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

His Divine Shadow posted:

New tape decks are nowhere as good as older ones made in the 80s, when you get into the 90s they tend to have lots of electronics that wasn't as durable or repairable as what the 80s ones. Mid to late 80s refurbished by someone would be the best bet if you can't do it yourself.

They were the greatest in the early 90s, before they knew that CDs were going to take over.

Look at this Pioneer CT-979! Auto bias, so what? This one even moves the knob while tuning in!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMhKaVRD15c&t=19s

This is my dream deck, the Sony TC-KA7ES:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

The old tape deck my pops had died, trying to find a new one so we can keep listening to all the old cassettes he has and transfer them over. Is it recommended if im looking for another tape deck to go with something older thats been refurbished or buy a new one from the couple companies that still make em like TEAC and the like?

I'd say refurbished. There's a lot of cheap ish new ones, especially small/portable ones, that all share a pretty crap mechanism as if I understand it correctly it's the only one being manufactured. TEAC won't be using that one though, I didn't know they still sold new. Refurbishment is relatively easy so you can get really good stuff that route too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Nothing like that feeling of sliding in a tape into the car stereo, than blasting it down Route 115.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I just picked this up for free.

Everything technically works. It just needs a bunch of connections cleaned.

I have a really nice 7.2 system but there's something endearing about listening to old funk or country music on the most lo-fi thing imaginable.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 5, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Finally got myself an Alpine (the other one I posted I missed out on). Not my ideal model but still, I like the look of the model a lot, it will go nicely in my Saab 900

Video of a similar unit being demoed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSEUYQ4NffE

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Aand installed:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

tapes are dogshit op lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

git apologist posted:

tapes are dogshit op lol

yeah that's part of the charm

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Tapes are actually surprisingly good when they're high quality. poo poo tapes are poo poo though but the same goes for LPs.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Yeah I've definitely had some "wait how is this coming from a tape" moments while going through my catalog. Unfortunately life hits you in the face because enevitably the next one you load sounds like hell. Still worth it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Tarkus posted:

Tapes are actually surprisingly good when they're high quality. poo poo tapes are poo poo though but the same goes for LPs.

yeah this

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

isn't the case that all prerecorded music tapes always are poo poo? since they never are metal types

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tarkus posted:

I just recorded a bunch off stuff off my PC via my luxman k-230 deck onto some NOS tapes, drat it sounds good when the source is also good quality.

And these are not metal, that's a lot of hype IMO that only metal tapes sound good. These are type 1s, Maxell URs.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JSmithOTI posted:

Started collecting tapes this year and it's been a lot of fun. Up to 130 right now and I've been using random number generators to decide which one to listen to from the collection. I love the chonky buttons that cassette players.

Started with one of those new Bluetooth players, but upgraded(?) to a used Aiwa player which sounds a lot better! Figuring out storage is less fun, but I must continue this addiction. Who knew that cataloging via spreadsheets and re-alphabatizing the collection could be so enjoyable?

I take it you missed out on 8-track.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

I definitely did! Tapes were phasing out when I was a kid and I only had CDs growing up.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Bula Vinaka posted:

I remember when CD's were the future, because with digital sound, analog noise was a thing of the past. Everyone was always writing about how music listened to via tape or vinyl was "mostly noise" so eliminating it would be a great thing.

Until people eventually figured out that pure digital recording and playback sounded flat and dull, and people actually liked the sound of tape and vinyl better. This is because small amounts of noise mixed in to music actually sounds good to most people. So instead of calling it noise they now call it things like "saturation".

Tape imparts its own small amounts of EQ curve, compression, and analog saturation.

It's important enough of a thing that nowadays most modern mixing engineers who mix entirely on computer use plugins that try to simulate the effects of tape, and there are a LOT of commercial plugins available that try to do this.

do you like making up stuff or are you just thick... tape recordings (like vinyl) suck fundamentally and literally do not have enough physical space on them to hold the entire frequency range most music was composed to use. bass is generally greatly diminished or outright removed to compensate so you get weak mixes. Tape isn't "imparting" poo poo, audio engineers have to mutilate a song to get it to fit on this obsolete and frankly gay format

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

sex excellence posted:

frankly gay format

gently caress off with this poo poo

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

best bale posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo

ok,

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

sex excellence posted:

frankly gay format

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Imagine being so weird that you to come to the tape thread for people who like tapes and telling people that like tapes to not like tapes.

Anywho, wife got me a couple of tapes recently, a Trio album of Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, and Emmylou Harris; and Mommas & Papas' California Dreamin. Both sound great!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hey welcome to the thread. didnt expect to see you here until this very post

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Tankakern posted:

isn't the case that all prerecorded music tapes always are poo poo? since they never are metal types

Metal tapes are very exotic to me, I don't think I've ever even seen those for sale back in the day. What I had access to were the usual poo poo-brown ferro tapes you'd find in the supermarket and they could be hit or miss for sure, especially when the format started to phase out, and the black chrome dioxide ones which were the bees knees. If you got one of those in a trade you know the guy cared about you lol. I listened to a Bauhaus chrome mixtape from the 80s not too long ago and that one still sounded as good as a dub from vinyl could get. Honestly I don't know how the quality is these days because I don't buy any new tapes but I can't imagine they are any better than the lovely ones in the late 90s/00s.

Grab Im Moor fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 21, 2023

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i bought a cassette tape this weekend :)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I remember when Tower Records closed and I got a bunch of cool tapes to play in my old red Volvo for like fifty cents each

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
here it is. i'm gonna dig through my parent's basement later for a working walkman

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hell yeah chat pile

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kntfkr posted:

here it is. i'm gonna dig through my parent's basement later for a working walkman

i love that album

check out "hostile architecture" by ashenspire if you havent already. metal band from glasgow. prettty sure any chat pile fan would appreciate their work

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Earwicker posted:

i love that album

check out "hostile architecture" by ashenspire if you havent already. metal band from glasgow. prettty sure any chat pile fan would appreciate their work

haha ashenspire has been coming on shuffle a lot lately and I do like them

Here's the end from the last song of the Chat Pile show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNTPeumZLms

I liked the bands that opened for them as well, NERVER and INTERCOURSE. Really like Nerver.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kntfkr posted:

i bought a cassette tape this weekend :)

This is a bit of a derail but I noticed that my local discount department store has rolls of 35mm film as a regular SKU, $14 for a roll of ASA 200 lol

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
My home office is done, so my Sony stereo finally got its forever home:

The tape deck is connected to the minidisc player, which is connected digitally to the Powernode, which powers the actual speakers. The Sony amplifier is just for looks right now.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

His Divine Shadow posted:

I came back from my parents with this; they let me go through all their old AV stuff; 4 out of 6 tape decks do not spin but both of these work, one sounds great, the recording head sounds dirty but I haven't tried a cleaner yet, because I am lazy. My friend who is more cassette brained than me said "of course you just take it if it's being offered, if both decks work you're probably looking at spending several hundred dollars to get anything similar, who cares about the CD tray". He's right, but I've still been tinkering with the CD tray, and I have it more working.

Also got a pair of these sweet $100-in-1972 speakers to go along with:

These are 20-30 years older than the speakers that came with the Sony, which were also sitting down there. These sound better, and look like speakers, instead of that weird 90s thing of speakers that look like a flux capacitor.

Because I am very smart, I just spent around $35 shipped for a 30-year-old cassette which also has a more recent re-issue I could have gotten for less money and which would be more likely to not sound like it's been in a lake.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/XucyVBf.mp4

(sound on)

Just doing normal things to listen to badly degraded Nirvana tapes from 35 years ago!!

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

evobatman posted:

My home office is done, so my Sony stereo finally got its forever home:

The tape deck is connected to the minidisc player, which is connected digitally to the Powernode, which powers the actual speakers. The Sony amplifier is just for looks right now.

gently caress yeah love those dumb square driver speakers. I have the baby version of the Sony's that was sold to go along with a Walkman (tragically mine lost the little carrying rack somewhere along the way), and some bookshelf size Aiwas.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I came back from my parents with this; they let me go through all their old AV stuff; 4 out of 6 tape decks do not spin but both of these work, one sounds great, the recording head sounds dirty but I haven't tried a cleaner yet, because I am lazy. My friend who is more cassette brained than me said "of course you just take it if it's being offered, if both decks work you're probably looking at spending several hundred dollars to get anything similar, who cares about the CD tray". He's right, but I've still been tinkering with the CD tray, and I have it more working.

Also got a pair of these sweet $100-in-1972 speakers to go along with:

These are 20-30 years older than the speakers that came with the Sony, which were also sitting down there. These sound better, and look like speakers, instead of that weird 90s thing of speakers that look like a flux capacitor.

Because I am very smart, I just spent around $35 shipped for a 30-year-old cassette which also has a more recent re-issue I could have gotten for less money and which would be more likely to not sound like it's been in a lake.

wait are those crappy little Sony 2-tape/CD sets worth money now? because my dad has like 5 of those scattered throughout the house all in perfect shape

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

wait are those crappy little Sony 2-tape/CD sets worth money now? because my dad has like 5 of those scattered throughout the house all in perfect shape

so did my dad, but actually only 2/6 decks worked, pristine condition or not, so that's the first thing to check.

if you have random tape decks from the 90s in good shape that work, yes they are probably nicer than anything you can easily get new in 2023 and also might have some resale value on reverb etc, especially if they play type III/IV tapes ("METAL" toggle switch, often)

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
In my opinion, the Technics (Panasonic / Matsushida) RS-B965 is the best tape deck ever made. Connecting a CD player to the "CD Direct" jack, and then switching between this input and the tape recording as it's recording (which you can do on a 3-head deck), it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference unless you are using very bad or damaged tape. I bought mine when I was still in college and it blew me away, especially when I played my recording in my car (a 1986 New Yorker) which only had a cassette player (but I had upgraded the rear speakers and installed an amplifier).

One of them just came up on eBay with an $899 buy-it-now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175919824394

It's used but has been fully serviced. It's the 100V Japanese model so you need a step-down converter for use in the USA. Most people recommend these cheap Chinese made models on Amazon but I highly recommend ACUPWR as they are way better made and much safer, although they cost quite a lot more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC2aeHc6fvc

By the way, the late 1980's New Yorker has sort of become a meme with its cheesy talking voice instead of tones, which I guess Chrysler though was extremely high tech at the time or something (including its green all digital display):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW9nmuTqIE0

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

sex excellence posted:

do you like making up stuff or are you just thick... tape recordings (like vinyl) suck fundamentally and literally do not have enough physical space on them to hold the entire frequency range most music was composed to use. bass is generally greatly diminished or outright removed to compensate so you get weak mixes. Tape isn't "imparting" poo poo, audio engineers have to mutilate a song to get it to fit on this obsolete and frankly gay format

u wot mate?

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s1ldwgOX0p1a4kan9_720.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Only a couple copies left for pre-order of the new DJ Shadow album on cassette: https://djshadow.com/collections/music/products/dj-shadow-action-adventure-cassette-tape