Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

wait for it posted:

Cassettes were fun but let's be real, when they'd get all jammed up in the reels and you'd have to try to get the tape out of the reading head and put it all back in the cassette by spinning the thing with your finger. That poo poo all sucked. Mix tapes were fun though.

CD's are dumb, all my old ones have holes in them now. Plus if you're listening to ones and zeroes you might as use a digital library on a pc or phone.

Vinyl is best for collecting. I have some from the 60's that still play alright. Art and liner notes the size of a calendar is pretty good.

my old toyota tercel devoured so many of my beloved tapes. i probably bought the same john prine album like 5 times because the deck kept mangling them :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

When I was a kid, in order to save money on mix tapes, I would dub records and radio to to the left and right channels separately and listen to them on my stereo with the right or left channel mixer knob.

Did anyone else do this?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Pencils to rewind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yem_iEHiyJ0

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Buce posted:

my old toyota tercel devoured so many of my beloved tapes. i probably bought the same john prine album like 5 times because the deck kept mangling them :(

The AUX jack is one of humankind's finest inventions. No way would I trust one of those things with one of my limited release cassettes in a hot car today

Tarkus posted:

When I was a kid, in order to save money on mix tapes, I would dub records and radio to to the left and right channels separately and listen to them on my stereo with the right or left channel mixer knob.

Did anyone else do this?

I didn't, but that's a clever idea

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tarkus posted:

Did anyone else do this?

That's hilarious!

Our family had a component system and then one of those "fake component" systems that had a CD player; I had a portable cassette player and didn't get a boombox until much later, so I never would have thought of that.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Scotch to make a seam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7iVWK2W48o

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

I actually just found a pen that's suitable for rewinding tapes today. All the ones I had bouncing around were cylindrical :negative:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Might have access to a workshop to put my own cassette shelf together soon. How worried should I be about magnetic fields damaging the tapes if I put it in front of a power outlet with a surge protector plugged into it? The surge protector itself will be 2-3 feet away from the shelf.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Buce posted:

Good quality decks never ate tapes though. At least not in my experience.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A vivid imagination is the best music format

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Born to push you down.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Good quality decks never ate tapes though. At least not in my experience.

what part of late 80s "toyota tercel" made you think of good quality deck?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

olives black posted:

The AUX jack is one of humankind's finest inventions. No way would I trust one of those things with one of my limited release cassettes in a hot car today

I didn't, but that's a clever idea

~Coxy posted:

That's hilarious!

Our family had a component system and then one of those "fake component" systems that had a CD player; I had a portable cassette player and didn't get a boombox until much later, so I never would have thought of that.

My dad had an Akai tower stereo set with a JVC tape deck and speakers from about 1980 or so. It was possible to mix stuff on the pre-amp to left and right from either the record play/radio or tape deck and really I found the left/right channel thing by accident because I had recorded Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon onto tape and it sounded like poo poo on (I think) the right channel. After that I found that it was possible to use the mono out from the pre-amp to go to the tape recorder and record both L/R from the record to the tape.

I had a late 80's Sony Boombox with a mixer/channel slider and when I played it back, it sounded acceptable but not very good. You could hear a little bit of bleedover from the other channel very faintly. Also, playing it in anything else was awful.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I now have a workflow that I like for recording vinyl records to tape (Audio Technica AT-LP120 switched to line out and run directly into a Sony TC-WE305).

Been thinking about how best to get my CDs onto tape and boy oh boy this is a rabbit hole

https://youtu.be/GUf0heY1J_Y

https://youtu.be/Gl563onzwqU

2nd video says that the best budget CD transport is 500 euro :psyduck:

olives black fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 8, 2023

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

olives black posted:

I now have a workflow that I like for recording vinyl records to tape (Audio Technica AT-LP120 switched to line out and run directly into a Sony TC-WE305).

Been thinking about how best to get my CDs onto tape and boy oh boy this is a rabbit hole

https://youtu.be/GUf0heY1J_Y

https://youtu.be/Gl563onzwqU

2nd video says that the best budget CD transport is 500 euro :psyduck:

What's the problem with line out from your CD player to line in on your tape deck? Get a nice used Sony or Denon in whatever Craigslist equivalent you have, or go to your nearest thrift store and pick up a DVD player to use. You gotta make an active effort to find CD playback that's bad enough to be noticeable when recording on anything other than a Nakamichi Dragon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Buce posted:

what part of late 80s "toyota tercel" made you think of good quality deck?

None, why?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

evobatman posted:

What's the problem with line out from your CD player to line in on your tape deck? Get a nice used Sony or Denon in whatever Craigslist equivalent you have, or go to your nearest thrift store and pick up a DVD player to use. You gotta make an active effort to find CD playback that's bad enough to be noticeable when recording on anything other than a Nakamichi Dragon.

Nothing at all, of course. I mean I get the point of a DAC but paying top dollar for a CD transport is cuckoo bananas.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Tarkus posted:

Did anyone else do this?
I have never seen anyone do this with cassettes, but it was an actual feature on many 1960s and early 1970s reel to reel decks. It's how you got something like 8 hours of music onto a standard longplay tape at 9,5cm/s

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Not mine but :hmmyes:

All my tapes were at our old home and my dad got rid of them all when we sold the place :(

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Incitatus posted:

OP you can CDs nutz

tape deez nutz to ur mouth

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

mobby_6kl posted:

Not mine but :hmmyes:

All my tapes were at our old home and my dad got rid of them all when we sold the place :(

I'm sorry for your loss. That was a nice collection there. :(

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Really want to get a box of these:

https://www.nationalaudiocompany.com/product/ferromaster-c256-type-1-60-minute-cassette-30-min-side-copy/

Reviews up to 2022 have been bad, but I can feel my curiosity getting the better of me. Maybe they finally worked out the kinks?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Is that the only company making tapes now? Or can you still get TDKs or something? New blanks has not been a concern for me in a long time but I've been thinking of making something for my cousin.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Is that the only company making tapes now? Or can you still get TDKs or something? New blanks has not been a concern for me in a long time but I've been thinking of making something for my cousin.

There's still plenty of blanks from Maxell and others available. I just worry about them running out and not having new stuff from companies that have their act together. If the reviews from 2019-2022 are accurate than NAC does not :smith:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
cleaning up the belt and volume slider on a tps-l2 seems trivial compared to possibly recapping a d6c to reduce noise

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Booty Pageant posted:

cleaning up the belt and volume slider on a tps-l2 seems trivial compared to possibly recapping a d6c to reduce noise

Which one did you decide on?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I feel like the older Walkmans without the extra bells and whistles like radio tuners are better bets than the later models. My old WM-EX112 works quite well, but the WM-FX290 has some annoying rippling on the left channel.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
New boom box just dropped

https://youtu.be/CiSLp77Wwcg

Up to 10khz frequency response! :)

olives black fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 24, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

olives black posted:

Was watching an interview with Steve Albini where he was talking about how he had to cut new masters for the vinyl releases of Big Black records (which all came out in the 80's) because the old ones corroded.

And what did they cut those new masters from? The same tapes on which they originally recorded the albums :smug:

lol if you think some lovely little cassette was equal to studio quality r2r tape

7.5 ips r2r > vinyl >>>> cassette

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Woolie Wool posted:

lol if you think some lovely little cassette was equal to studio quality r2r tape

I was making a point about the superiority of tape in general, you buffoon

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Woolie Wool posted:

but yes for day to day use cassettes own harder than r2r

nothing against r2r, it's cool for stationary chilling the same way that vinyl is

it's also expensive as gently caress

https://youtu.be/ttsL1fPJnSw

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I was listening to (and ripping) my old DJ mixtapes from the 90s today. Recorded onto metal cassettes using a Yamaha KX 580 with Dolby S.
They sound really, really nice. Well except for the odd slightly dodgy mix, or some, erm, overstimulated technique (a capellas over everything, and general showing off)

Dolby S is so drat good, it's a real shame it wasn't more widely used. I'm sure that you could tell the difference between a Dolby S tape and a CD in an a/b test, but just on its own it was as good as CD to most ears.

I got a new KX deck off ebay recently. It had a busted lid, but worked perfectly. £25, haha, the original one was about 400 quid iirc. gently caress, I was so overplayed back then, welp.
It also has HX Pro, I forgot all about that.

I'll post some pics of my collection blank tapes for you fellow nerds soon. No prerecorded though, it was vinyl for DJ work and CD for home listening. Well, I did have loads of albums on tape in the 80s, but gently caress knows where they went.
I'll see if I can dig out the few DAT cassettes that I have somewhere. They are so wee and cute. And sound incredible too of course.
Oh yeah, and I got a great 1970 era cassette storage thing from the thrift shop recent. Cream, brown and smoke coloured plastic, real classy unit. Holds about 80 tapes so well worth the 50p it cost.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 24, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Adolf Glitter posted:

I was listening to (and ripping) my old DJ mixtapes from the 90s today. Recorded onto metal cassettes using a Yamaha KX 580 with Dolby S.
They sound really, really nice. Well except for the odd slightly dodgy mix, or some, erm, overstimulated technique (a capellas over everything, and general showing off)

Dolby S is so drat good, it's a real shame it wasn't more widely used. I'm sure that you could tell the difference between a Dolby S tape and a CD in an a/b test, but just on its own it was as good as CD to most ears.

I got a new KX deck off ebay recently. It had a busted lid, but worked perfectly. £25, haha, the original one was about 400 quid iirc. gently caress, I was so overplayed back then, welp.
It also has HX Pro, I forgot all about that.

I'll post some pics of my collection blank tapes for you fellow nerds soon. No prerecorded though, it was vinyl for DJ work and CD for home listening. Well, I did have loads of albums on tape in the 80s, but gently caress knows where they went.
I'll see if I can dig out the few DAT cassettes that I have somewhere. They are so wee and cute. And sound incredible too of course.
Oh yeah, and I got a great 1970 era cassette storage thing from the thrift shop recent. Cream, brown and smoke coloured plastic, real classy unit. Holds about 80 tapes so well worth the 50p it cost.

Even Dolby-B sounds p good imo. This video has an a/b of the original FLAC and the Dolby-B recorded version and the latter sounds - dare I say it - better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER73ayOqMo4

Would love to see your collection!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

olives black posted:

I was making a point about the superiority of tape in general, you buffoon

Cassettes are awful, I'd rather have 128 kbps mp3s from the pirate bay

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Woolie Wool posted:

Cassettes are awful, I'd rather have 128 kbps mp3s from the pirate bay

:getout:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
so this all still works apparently

Only registered members can see post attachments!

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

kntfkr posted:

so this all still works apparently

I hope it's as much of a treat for the ears as it is for the eyes. Purtty

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9GvgvQNp70

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

drat, those actually sound pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

managed to save this from the dump, sadly there's a demented rear end in a top hat at the recycling center who can't stand the sight of nice things being dropped off so he breaks things. basically cleaned, lubed and greased switches and pots and it sounds great. but i really should buy a big bag of belts